IGNORED

Maxwell 24: Juicing, Chiropracters, and Faux Insurance

Coconut Flan

31 minutes ago, NeckPunch said:

Meh, I don't find fault in Teri's book bag. If she struggles with mental health and it can be exasperated by young children (this is speculation on my part based on her stories of depression when her kids were small), this is a nice way to spend quality time with the grandchildren and create memories, without feeling overwhelmed. Yes it's structured and controlled, but if that's what she can take then I think it is smart of her to recognize that. It is not her job to get on the floor and play like the "aunties" do, especially if she doesn't feel inclined to play that way anyway (and with her bad back/neck she couldn't anyway). She's just not a youthful/playful grandma. And I even think Joe and Elissa's story book gift is thoughtful. They value what she does with the grandchildren. 

There. I am done defending Teri. Mostly she sucks, just not at this.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Teri is probably a way better grandma than Lori Alexander is. 

It is good for her to limit herself if she needs to. Now if she could only have convinced Steve of that back before pumping out more kids than she could handle...

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@NeckPunch you are right. I never thought of it that way. This may be Teri’s way of adapting with her illness. We have always speculated the schedules and weird rules were put in place to deal with Teri’s depression. It’s also likely the kids enjoy reading with grandma. It’s a time the girls don’t have to be homemakers-in-training. Plus, being read to or reading to others, is so normal and wonderful for kids. We may not be Teri fans but it’s likely the grandkids love and enjoy her company. I can see looking forward to grandma coming over because it makes the day different and exciting. 

New post.

Sarah waxes on about autumn. She is trying to sound poetic and missing the mark entirely.

They have posted a cookie recipe, but failed to post a picture o the cookies once they were finished.

Cute pictures of Ruthie and Lydia helping Mary bake. Ruthie is actually making cookie dough in the photos, but the ones with Lydia were taken on a different day and it doesn't look like she is making cookies at all. 

Ruthie is a beautiful child. Lydia is adorable too. And Mary has her usual crazy eyes. 

You know, I often want to shit on Mary and Nathan for their crazy eyes in pictures but i really can't. If you point a camera at me and tell me to smile there is zero chance I can muster a smile that doesn't look like a grimace. So mostly I give the camera the stink eye until the person goes away.

Why is Teri answering all the comments? It was supposed to be Sarah's post.

I despise the way they call a child "a little".  A little what? Should we start calling an adult "a big"? Should we start bringing cookies over to a house of "an old"?

Ugh.  This family depresses me.  There's so much more to life for these girls.  I like their aprons (I'm trying to be positive).

On 9/21/2018 at 2:42 PM, Alisamer said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Teri is probably a way better grandma than Lori Alexander is. 

It is good for her to limit herself if she needs to. Now if she could only have convinced Steve of that back before pumping out more kids than she could handle...

I don't know Lori as I only follow the Maxwells, and for stupid reasons. Regardless, my mom (who was a shit mom for sure) was a much better grandma. My fondest hope is that Teri (that's right, listed before her husband!) and Steve are better grandparents than they were parents.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@LilMissMetaphor, I'm with you on despising the term "littles" to refer to children.  

I have a weird thing where I don't mind the term "Kiddo" used almost as a nickname for a single child, but calling a group of kids "kiddos" annoys me. It's my case of hair splitting.

New post is up. Pretty uneventful, but...

1) I don’t understand why that one kid is in a high chair... he looks much too old.

2) Teri finally showed us how to cut something with a pizza cutter! It wasn’t lettuce, but spaghetti will suffice.

3a) Why are the candles in the ice cream tub and there is no proper cake? 3b) Why is there a number 6 and random sick candles when the birthday party is for Mary and her parents?

4) I sure hope Mary recieved something other than that childish apron.

5) Why did no one in that household have the time to do this post in August when it actually happened? 

3 hours ago, dripcurl said:

3a) Why are the candles in the ice cream tub and there is no proper cake? 3b) Why is there a number 6 and random sick candles when the birthday party is for Mary and her parents?

I noticed that, too. There's a 6 and then 7 individual candles - Steve turned 67, so I guess that was for him.

That said, it's Christina blowing out the candles, but Bethany's birthday is also in August. You'd think they'd want to celebrate her birthday, too, by at least letting her blow out the candles. 

OH, and the kid in the high chair is Drew - he's 4, so really, he does not need to be in a high chair. 

The pizza cutter returns! Man, that thing gets around. The question remains though: was it used on both the lettuce and spaghetti?

Interesting that in all the recent posts we don't hear about the kidults going over to Chelsys game nights at their house that she talked about it in her own blog. You'd think that'd be more special and blog worthy than another cooking or hiking post. But then, those fun nights must be sinful in their eyes, I wonder how they were even convinced to go.

I’m more bothered by that damn bib on Drew! Argh! I hate those things on the big kids. I’m guessing they stuck him in the high chair because seats at the table were limited.

9 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@LilMissMetaphor, I'm with you on despising the term "littles" to refer to children.  

I hate the term "kiddos". I once had a manager who called me that, and I was older than her and we were in our fifties!

Planning to buy a wedding gift today--should I get a pizza cutter trio--one for pizza, one for lettuce, one for spaghetti? Should I provide instructions?

Again they have a pregnant woman sitting on the floor while able bodied young men are sitting in comfy sofas. 

I know this is maxhell and they have zero regard for their livestock but... still. 

Even on the London Underground, which is not known for the empathy of its users, pregnant women are given seats. 

Again they have a pregnant woman sitting on the floor while able bodied young men are sitting in comfy sofas.  I know this is maxhell and they have zero regard for their livestock but... still. 

Even on the London Underground, which is not known for the empathy of its users, pregnant women are given seats. 

If it makes you feel any better, sitting on the floor is friendlier to the pelvic floor than sitting in chairs and may be better for the pregnant ladies! Obviously I'd prefer to do this at home instead of the subway [emoji38] and double obvious... Its probably not why the max ladies are always sitting on the floor https://www.nutritiousmovement.com/4-fast-fixes-for-pelvic-floor-disorder/

I wouldn’t last 5 seconds in Maxhell. I never sat on the floor when pregnant because when I got up, I looked like a pregnant walrus trying to roll off my warming rock back into the sea. 

2 hours ago, freethemall said:

The pizza cutter returns! Man, that thing gets around. The question remains though: was it used on both the lettuce and spaghetti?

Interesting that in all the recent posts we don't hear about the kidults going over to Chelsys game nights at their house that she talked about it in her own blog. You'd think that'd be more special and blog worthy than another cooking or hiking post. But then, those fun nights must be sinful in their eyes, I wonder how they were even convinced to go.

I'm sure Sarah doesn't approve of game night.

3 hours ago, freethemall said:

I am guessing the 7 Maxolds (just the kids, not Steveovah & Terifying) were secretly THRILLED BEYOND MEASURE to hear about the game nights!

And that when their du-unity* demigod Steveovah The Terifying aren’t in attendance, there is laughter and ....Pepsi !??!?!?!??

* What would be the term for a god in two persons, if “Trinity” is the term for God in three persons? I’d look it up but already running late.

ETA: Drew might have wanted to be in the high chair and bibbed as a 4-year-ild’s idea of crazy fun. And being a boy, he’d be permitted to get away with regressive behavior in occasion. Girls? Oh, no! Keep them marching toward their transfer of authority day (PSarah, Anna Elizabeth & Mary excluded, of course).

You know what annoys me to no end with the birthday and Christmas posts? How Sarah will show people opening gifts but rarely says what the gift was. It blows my mind that she thinks she's some great author when she can't even write an engaging blog post. But of course Steve and Teri "shelter" her from negative comments so I suppose it's not entirely her fault.

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Planning to buy a wedding gift today--should I get a pizza cutter trio--one for pizza, one for lettuce, one for spaghetti? Should I provide instructions?

Either that, or provide detained instructions on how to Google the item and how to use such.

39 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

* What would be the term for a god in two persons, if “Trinity” is the term for God in three persons? I’d look it up but already running late.

Dyad?

I hope the kidults get to go to game nights without Steve and Teri, and that they have a WONDERFUL time there without feeling guilty about having fun. 

I kind of wonder what might happen if Steve passes before Teri. Will Teri keep up all the rules and regulations? Or will she buy a case of Pepsi on the way home from the funeral? Will the family start attending a real church, with Steve not around to preach at them? Will they go somewhere ELSE on their not-vacations?

I have to admit that I never understood why the maxwells let the little kids blow out other people's candles and open other's presents.  I remember when I was little and wanted to help open someone's present I was told no because it wasn't mine.  That I should let the gift receiver enjoy their moment.  That it seems to be a common practice in Maxhell feels to me like a form of child worship because they're a blessing from god, and all.  Or maybe they include them because we can't have the birthday person feel special because pride.  Boundaries?  Am I the only one that finds this disrespectful?

Sarah is such a descriptive writer!  I love how she shared what the gifts were, who they were from, why they were special.  I enjoyed the description of bible time, what book/topic they were reading/ studying from and how it was pertinent to a particular situation in their lives, how much of a blessing it was.  The profound caption of "This guy with his spaghetti and garlic bread" really shed some light on that nameless child's personality.  

You really knocked this one out of the park PoorSarah!  What a blessing!!!!! that your parents went out of their way to provide you with the support and tools you needed to be forced to become the writer you always wanted to be.

Anna Marie has passed on that lovely hair of hers to her girls.  I have the jealous.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Either that, or provide detained instructions on how to Google the item and how to use such.

What if I import a pizza cutter from Germany?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived