IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who Is a Tool)? Part 9

Coconut Flan

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/29/2018 at 5:55 PM, RulerOfTheQueensNavy said:

Holy ?! I had such a crush on her.  Whenever we would visit her family I was like a puppy.  My parents were only minor nobility in the homeschool world, so I would have never had a chance.  Always thought the hubby was a bit douchey.  However, her parents seemed like pretty solid folks and seemed to shy away from the more radical stuff.

Now is your chance buddy ;)

8 hours ago, Mrs. Bean said:

Now is your chance buddy ;)

Happily married.  ;)  Also, it probably would be better for her to heal with someone who doesn't have all the ATI/VF/Courtship baggage.

However, reading this thread again has left me upset and sad.  There is DP prancing his way around Europe as if nothing happened.  Yet there are so many homeschool girls who have been hurt by the ideology that DP, Josh Harris, Bill Gothard and all other propagators of this wretched courtship system.   It burnt me badly twice, but that is what opened my eyes and now I'm with someone beautiful from far outside the movement.

I'm not even referring to the abuse part, which is terrible.  I'm referring to the normal homeschool girl with loving parents who is her 20s, 30s or 40s.  Who is rapidly turning into a spinster cause Dad chased away every guy who showed interest.  Who probably has severely impaired opportunities because she has a deficient education 'cause college is bad 'ya know, besides who cares about elementary education, because their real training was to be "keepers at home."  Who is turning down opportunity after opportunity because she is expected to be obedient to her father (really mother, 'cause they are the ones who really run homeschool families despite all propaganda to the contrary), take care of her family, not have an opinion and generally wait for a white knight to show up, ask her father for permission to go through the courtship questions and ringer, then carry her off into the sunset.

I literally know dozens and dozens of girls like this.  The light has gone out of their eyes, the spring from their step.  Many of them seem like they stepped into some sort of time warp at 25, where emotionally they haven't matured a day but physically they continue aging.  Yet Doug Phillips galavant's around Europe, carrying a pool of water under his arm so he can periodically rekindle the love for the reflection he sees there.  Who knows, perhaps someday he will turn into an everlasting flower carrying his name.   Meanwhile, he's left a lot of wilted daisies in his path.

@RulerOfTheQueensNavy, such a heartfelt post calling out this sick, sick system;  I'm glad you escaped.  We've been calling it out forever on fj, and tracked it with the Botkinetti, but hearing your account of knowing so many other women who have been robbed of their human agency throughout childhood, teen years and now adulthood is so incredibly sad.  

Also, these women would have zero ability to discern major red flags for abuse and control issues, should dad finally approve a guy who came a courtin'.  Yes, it is just terribly sad.  And if the patriarch has abuse and control issues himself, not much chance of things turning out well on any level.  

The whole “dad chooses” thing is based on the idea that some young men are suitable and others are not. Which is true! But that whole young generation, both suitable and unsuitable and all the shades of grey between, become the next generation of dads, both wise and unwise and every shade of grey between. It makes no sense to assert that just fathering a child automatically makes someone wise to make these decisions.

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Also, these women would have zero ability to discern major red flags for abuse and control issues, should dad finally approve a guy who came a courtin'. 

Well, how many times have we seen that Dad himself has zero ability to discern abuse & control issues -- Michael Morton, anyone?

There is no perfect way to meet a future spouse but, actually, normal dating and getting together in a variety of situations are still pretty good at showing you how someone is or might be.

ETA: @RulerOfTheQueensNavy - thank you for that thoughtful and sad commentary.

19 hours ago, bea said:

Did we discuss the hint on Twitter that Jtits and Delaney might be having a baby?

33077b39f532392716f3872526bae778.png

Didn't his bio at the new school include they were expecting their first child? I think it's so of that Beall hasn't mentioned it. She so goes on about family and how her life is changing you think she would mention she's going to be a grandmother. 

That’s why I was puzzled. Beall is so OTT about the kids and how amazing the older ones are so I wondered why no mention of impending grandchild.
Also who are the kids still at home? I see lots of pictures of the older girls, but aren’t there younger ones, too?

3 minutes ago, bea said:

Also who are the kids still at home? I see lots of pictures of the older girls, but aren’t there younger ones, too?

Maybe Faith, Honor, Providence & Virginia, in descending order of age. Justice blew that popstand 2-3 years ago, Liberty seems to be living in San Antonio, and Jubilee is in FL going to RBC.

Faith seems to have been at the mercy of the family's move back to TX from CO since she talks about having to leave sewing supplies & equipment behind in CO on her IG account. So, guessing that she is still at home.

The youngest three all seem to be with Beall wherever she is.

On 9/23/2018 at 7:04 PM, hoipolloi said:

Need to dive into the cyber shelves -- no time at the moment -- but I think it was about 1998.

Doug & Be-All married in 1992 and were in VA for at least a few years after that while Doug worked for HSLDA. When he left there, he absconded with their mailing list, founded VFI/VFM, and the rest is history.

Even before he absconded Doug was making the rounds with his teachings and drumming up interest. Growing up, my church was a big fan of HSLDA (even though we had a lot of public schoolers-several elders got seats on the school board) and they also got into a lot of the precursors to VF.

The youngest 4 kids (two boys, two girls) are definitely living with Beall. Virginia will be turning 12 this month, Providence will be 15 in December, Honor turned 17 at the end of August, and Faith was 18 in January. Beall claimed on IG that she's still homeschooling all of them. I thought Faith would have finished up last spring, but apparently she has one more semester.

I suspect Liberty (who just turned 22) is also living with them, when she isn't traveling for Cheatball. Only Josh (25 last May), Justice (23 last March) , and, now that she's at Reformation Bible College, Jubilee (20 last April), are out of the nest.

As mentioned in one of the previous threads, Operation Cheatball is registered to a San Antonio apartment. I'm fairly certain that's where the family has been living since the beginning of August, based on some of Beall and Faith's photos; things like the kitchen and the outside fence match the photos on the apartment complex website. Most of them were also there for awhile around February of last year.

I do think Liberty is still primarily living with Beall and the gang. She posted some "training" photos on her "Running for Iwo Jima" IG last winter that were obviously taken in Durango, did a handful of veteran events around Tx during the winter trip (possibly staying in Tx a few weeks longer than the rest), and then she shows up in various group pics back in Durango during the spring/summer.

Faith, on the other hand, didn't seem to go with them to San Antonio last winter, her Instagram indicated that she was still in Durango (she posted pics from a local hot air balloon festival, sang at an arts center for a Valentine's Day event, etc.). When she quit her job to move with them this last time, I assumed it was because the move was more permanent, but between the IG stories lamenting the sewing notions she left behind in Colorado, and Beall's talk of being "nomads" who live between both places, I guess they'll be back in Durango at some point. Why, I continue to have no idea what-so-ever. For the most part, they seem to greatly prefer Texas.

It looks like Hannah will be back in NYC in a couple of weeks, so expect to see Dougie slithering out from whatever rock he's been living under.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoKhz8gnbug/?taken-by=hannahsnow23

"so very excited to share that I’ll be going back to New York in three weeks!!"

4 minutes ago, AnnaSofia said:

I do think Liberty is still primarily living with Beall and the gang.

I think you're right. They all seem to drive together to the various Cheatball events. 

I was wondering if maybe the fact that Jubilee is at school now had something to do with Faith going down to San Antonio this time. The largest floor plan I can find available for their apartment complex is three bedrooms, 1360 square feet. I realize it's in a "first world problems" kinda way, but it seems like the bedroom situation would be tight for four 12 through 22 year old girls, two teen boys, and Beall. With Jubilee in Florida, (and Liberty traveling frequently with the Honor Flight and Best Defense Foundation stuff) it frees up some space.

Granted, their Durango rentals seemed small as well, but it looked like they were houses, so there's always the possibility of converting an attic/basement/family room into bedroom space. With the open floor plan of the apartment, there's not much chance of that.

20 hours ago, RulerOfTheQueensNavy said:

I'm not even referring to the abuse part, which is terrible.  I'm referring to the normal homeschool girl with loving parents who is her 20s, 30s or 40s.  Who is rapidly turning into a spinster cause Dad chased away every guy who showed interest.  Who probably has severely impaired opportunities because she has a deficient education 'cause college is bad 'ya know, besides who cares about elementary education, because their real training was to be "keepers at home."  Who is turning down opportunity after opportunity because she is expected to be obedient to her father (really mother, 'cause they are the ones who really run homeschool families despite all propaganda to the contrary), take care of her family, not have an opinion and generally wait for a white knight to show up, ask her father for permission to go through the courtship questions and ringer, then carry her off into the sunset.

And it's not just the guys who are chased away after showing interest, but also the guys who don't even bother attempting to show interest because either they're sure enough that they'd be chased away if they tried, or else they feel they'll never be good enough to pass the tests of a Proper Christian Young Lady's Good Christian Father.

Moving is expensive, and if they’re selling plasma they’re not exactly rolling in cash. Why do they keep ping ponging back and forth between CO and TX instead of staying in one place? It’s so weird.

6 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

Quite a change from the Dougie officiated weddings of old....

It looks like a Portlandia episode. I love that Doug has to grovel for work from godless, liberal hippies. You know he's screaming inside. 

2 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

It looks like a Portlandia episode. I love that Doug has to grovel for work from godless, liberal hippies. You know he's screaming inside. 

Yes, quite the comedown for the cinematic Wonder Boy of many names and accounts!

As Tool O’Ween approaches, we really should share historical LOLDougs.  These seem evergreen.

doug

Spoiler

F58FD1F0-42BC-4B85-833A-0A8D439AB6D4.jpeg.01f115fcb6a1f1ebe67270faea0ce32f.jpeg

Beall

Spoiler

AB8C50C9-D621-416C-96A4-182B4CDD4EDA.jpeg.c7002e857ef60acfaf9974c6a55fd515.jpeg

And my favorite I think 

Spoiler

BA1134FC-40C2-47FC-BB5D-3F6E7656AC16.jpeg.d7d1958289345647f8258ef26b455127.jpeg

Any sane person would spend winters in Texas and summers in Durango.  No sane person moves back to Texas in late August or early Sept, because it is still brain fry hot and you miss the aspens changing in the high country in late Sept.  Who the hell knows what's going on with these people. 

That's a sweet wedding video, but yes, one does wonder how Rainbow Gathering aficionados got hooked up with Mr. Cinematographer.  The groom does have a nose ring, but his glasses frames are awesome. 

3 hours ago, Howl said:

The groom does have a nose ring, but his glasses frames are awesome. 

Ahhh... he has 3 nose rings...

(Check the Zola link listed above.)

23 minutes ago, Maxwell said:

Ahhh... he has 3 nose rings...

I couldn't count for all the hair.  I must say, though, a gathering in the clearing in the woods with a circle of close friends seems somewhat more appealing than the five figure blowout we'll be attending in a few months. 

10 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

It looks like a Portlandia episode. 

Portlandia!  Yes! Too true!  For some reason I'm recalling the episode where Fred and Carrie go to eat, read the bio of Colin the Chicken, but before they order, they decide to visit the farm where Colin grew up to see if he had a nice life, and become ensnared in the farm cult run by Jason Sudeikis.  The episode is Farm. 

10 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

I love that Doug has to grovel for work from godless, liberal hippies. You know he's screaming inside. 

I dunno. Maybe it makes him feel worldly, bohemian and perhaps a touch outré, plus someone wanting him to film them has to be a huge ego boost. 

Wedding cinematography could bring in some money, for sure -- as long as he avoids hitting on the bridesmaids and doesn't regale bore the groomsmen with tales of manly adventures.  

On 10/2/2018 at 6:39 AM, CyborgKin said:

And it's not just the guys who are chased away after showing interest, but also the guys who don't even bother attempting to show interest because either they're sure enough that they'd be chased away if they tried, or else they feel they'll never be good enough to pass the tests of a Proper Christian Young Lady's Good Christian Father.

This is very true.  I know of several girls, women who don't have a chance because their father chased enough guys away that their family has a "reputation."  Unless they leave home, which highly unlikely at their age.

10 hours ago, RulerOfTheQueensNavy said:

This is very true.  I know of several girls, women who don't have a chance because their father chased enough guys away that their family has a "reputation."  Unless they leave home, which highly unlikely at their age.

I feel very sure that just by existing, Jill & David Rodrigues chase away any matches for any of their contractable kids.

As someone once said, the thought of 14 in-laws pulling up in the RV and planning  to mooch indefinitely would dampen the ardor of the most pie-eyed, sex-starved young man or woman!    

On 10/2/2018 at 4:33 AM, AnnaSofia said:

Well apparently Doug does spend time in Durango (as long as Beall is in San Antonio).

https://www.zola.com/wedding/michaelandayla

Quite a change from the Dougie officiated weddings of old....

As much as I hate to admit it, the video is good.   I wonder if they would have been as happy knowing what a creep he is...excuse me but I need to go vomit.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived