IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who Is a Tool)? Part 9

Coconut Flan

36 minutes ago, refugee said:

Interesting to me, Gregg Harris’s (also patriarchal) churches were big into swing dancing.

IIRC, Matt and Jennie Chancey met while taking swing dancing classes. Which is kind of puzzling to me, because swing dancing can involve some pretty... well, I wouldn't say raunchy moves, but it's a heck of lot more intimate than English country dancing.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

IIRC, Matt and Jennie Chancey met while taking swing dancing classes. Which is kind of puzzling to me, because swing dancing can involve some pretty... well, I wouldn't say raunchy moves, but it's a heck of lot more intimate than English country dancing.

Spoiler

418129689_swingdance-6inches.jpg.1f31f8d032793b734ab3dae6f632c0bd.jpg

Spoiler

2031659996_swingdancelifts.jpg.f081036a2872131b55a838d5128b95a0.jpg

12 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

That slob, dance? Ugh. I thought they met st work. 

19 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

Can someone refresh me on whether VF was opposed to dancing on the whole a la IBLP and other Baptist denoms? Or not so much? It's kind of hard to tell through all the cosplay.

Reminds me that back in the day the standing joke was:

Q: Why do Baptists refuse to have sex standing up?

A: They don't want anyone to think they're dancing. 

I wonder if the Phillips fam is flipping houses.  Or maybe they bought a house to remodel to live in.  I don't know if the housing market in San Antonio is "hot" but here in Austin, just up the road from SA, real estate is insane and people are buying exactly those types of houses in some rough-ish neighborhoods to remodel. People are desperate to get a toe-hold in the bottom end of the housing market before they are priced out.   Although rough-ish and kinda mixed, some of these old neighborhoods are filled with huge oaks, pecans and cedar elms and have their own great character.  

3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

That slob, dance? Ugh. I thought they met st work. 

Maybe I'm wrong and it was their first date. But I know it was somehow involved. 

17 hours ago, refugee said:

The VF families we knew were big into English country dancing (think Pride and Prejudice). There were rules attached, like a boy had to ask the girl’s father’s permission for a dance, and a girl and boy weren’t supposed to dance more than twice (IIRC) with each other in an evening or people would start to gossip. Courting and married couples excepted.

At the “vintage dances” I attended as a babby the organizer announced these rules, immediately making things weird for everyone, so the girls only danced with other girls.

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Reminds me that back in the day the standing joke was:

Q: Why do Baptists refuse to have sex standing up?

A: They don't want anyone to think they're dancing. 

I wonder if the Phillips fam is flipping houses.  Or maybe they bought a house to remodel to live in.  I don't know if the housing market in San Antonio is "hot" but here in Austin, just up the road from SA, real estate is insane and people are buying exactly those types of houses in some rough-ish neighborhoods to remodel. People are desperate to get a toe-hold in the bottom end of the housing market before they are priced out.   Although rough-ish and kinda mixed, some of these old neighborhoods are filled with huge oaks, pecans and cedar elms and have their own great character.  

I don't think SA is quite as hot as Austin, and I would be very surprised if the Phillips family was planning to live in that house, or even had the means to buy it, even at a fire sale price. But Austin is insane. So glad my son is graduating this May and we can stop paying $600/month rent for one very small room in a shared house. (I'm sure that rent will go up for the next tenant.)

In terms of the Phillips daughters and marriage prospects, it will be interesting to see if they follow the patterns of some of the other families, such as the Maxwells and the Botkins, where sons get married and somehow the daughters just don’t. I am really glad that the Phillips daughters seem to be making more of their own life, as opposed to the indentured servitude of so many other young women from that community. On a somewhat related topic, are their any current forums going discussing the older unmarried daughters who followed the SAHD lifestyle? It’s such a tragedy to me that these women were raised and trained for such a specific life and then the marriage opportunities just never came. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived