IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips (Who Is a Tool)? Part 9

Coconut Flan

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever noticed how many former VF-ers just looooove to rub Advent in the faces of their Ultra-Reformed and/or Baptist social media friends? "Call me a Catholic-- I dare ya!" James and Stacy do it, too. It's like a thing now, but I don't know why. 

2 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Ever noticed how many former VF-ers just looooove to rub Advent in the faces of their Ultra-Reformed and/or Baptist social media friends? "Call me a Catholic-- I dare ya!" James and Stacy do it, too. It's like a thing now, but I don't know why. 

We observe Advent at my Baptist church but we are Cooperative Baptist Fellowship (what passes for liberal among Baptists), not SBC. And our Advent is of the liturgical, purple stole variety, not the drive-thru nativity variety. Incidentally, that particular event is really snarling up traffic on 1604, or so I am told.

15 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Some reformed folks are big on pointing up the difference between Advent and Christmas. They will emphasize singing the Advent songs and saving Christmas carols for actual Christmas, etc....  That's been around since I was a kid, though when VF came along there was a move to change up things and have church with little emphasis placed on Christmas, Advent, Pentecost, etc.. on church calendars because they were big on Sunday being the Lord's Day and every Lord's Day being worthy of equal worship.

There have also been a fair number of folks I know in VF circles who have left reformed churches for traditional Anglican or Lutheran churches and some of them are quite vocal about celebrating the whole traditional church calendar. I can't speak for them in general but for some I know personally, I think it was a reaction against the VF emphasis on not making a big deal of Christmas and other holidays.

The main post and the rest of the comments seem legit, but the sex trafficking comment sounds a little *too* on the nose, like someone is trolling.

13 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

The main post and the rest of the comments seem legit, but the sex trafficking comment sounds a little *too* on the nose, like someone is trolling.

Perhaps. The commenter's name (Joyelle Stoltzfus) is not familiar to me -- were she and/or her family VF true believers? 

29 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Perhaps. The commenter's name (Joyelle Stoltzfus) is not familiar to me -- were she and/or her family VF true believers? 

I don't know if they were VF inner circle or not, but I knew the family slightly through my extended family. Her parents were missionaries overseas for a bit but my understanding is that they got sucked into SAHD and some of the other VF beliefs once they got back home.  IIRC, Joyelle is the oldest child and she was a SAHD for a while and taught piano from the home.  However, I don't want to identify the family because, as far as I'm aware, they're not intenet-famous or public figures.

Valerie is definitely legit. That post was talked about here and it made the rounds in ex fundie circles. Perhaps Joyelle is referencing the practice of betrothing daughters, giving dowries, etc, popular in some circles. And don't forget Vaughn Olhman and his matchmaking camp that was referred to here and on other sites as child trafficking. 

3 minutes ago, GenerationCedarchip said:

I don't know if they were VF inner circle or not, but I knew the family slightly through my extended family. Her parents were missionaries overseas for a bit but my understanding is that they got sucked into SAHD and some of the other VF beliefs once they got back home.  IIRC, Joyelle is the oldest child and she was a SAHD for a while and taught piano from the home.  However, I don't want to identify the family because, as far as I'm aware, they're not intenet-famous or public figures.

Her last name is familiar to me.  Was that part of the Charity Church?

31 minutes ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

Valerie is definitely legit. That post was talked about here and it made the rounds in ex fundie circles.

Yes, I recall we discussed that when it first appeared. Valerie's situation was terrible.

39 minutes ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

Perhaps Joyelle is referencing the practice of betrothing daughters, giving dowries, etc, popular in some circles. And don't forget Vaughn Olhman and his matchmaking camp that was referred to here and on other sites as child trafficking. 

Yes, you could be right.

The whole "Former SAHDs talking about VF sex trafficking" just sounded a little too much like fundie-watcher fan fiction. Of course, if you'd told me, pre-Tool 'O ween, that Doug was jerking off on the nanny, I would have probably said the same thing, so what do I know? :pb_lol:

On 12/11/2018 at 7:07 PM, RebelliousEscapee said:

Comment from this post:

VF.PNG.d210a08119dd8a48bfe8b1310a737648.PNG

That was an interesting post and comment stream. Thanks for linking.

On 12/12/2018 at 11:02 AM, hoipolloi said:

Yes, I recall we discussed that when it first appeared. Valerie's situation was terrible.

How would I find that discussion, please?

22 minutes ago, refugee said:

How would I find that discussion, please?

Using the search button, I got to this FJ thread from about a year and a half ago, when Valerie Jacobsen first started posting about it on FB. You'll find more there and possibly elsewhere but I think that was the main discussion.

From today, I believe. I took the screenshot just a minute or two before posting it here, so the Facebook timestamps should be pretty inline with that.

I'll follow this with great interest.  I'm guessing this refers for forced marriage, but will wait for clarification. 

8 hours ago, Howl said:

I'm guessing this refers for forced marriage, but will wait for clarification. 

Yes - a VF version of the FLDS shite that Warren Jeffs et al. were perpetrating.

8 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Yes - a VF version of the FLDS shite that Warren Jeffs et al. were perpetrating.

Which was a LOT of older men and very young girls.

So happy that Warren is still in prison here in Texas, which made me curious about what's going on in Short Creek, original home of the FLDS.  I found some updates dated Dec. 15, 2018, which I've post over in the Fundamentalist Mormon zone.  Teaser: Brewery and vape shop! 

Link to that fj thread here, where I've linked to the relevant article(s). 

Have there been allegations of forced or underage marriages in VF before? Beyond the massive social pressure behind the whole courtship model, obviously.

I remember a couple of uncomfortably young grooms, Scottie Brown's son David, and SIL Taylor, respectively, but not so much with the brides.

I know Kevin Swanson seemed to advocate young teen marriages, but I don't think Doug ever did.

Let’s catch up with Phil. Here he extols the genius of Bernardo Bertolucci, the director of “Last Tango in Paris,” who was accused of sexually humiliating actress Maria Schneider…

https://www.facebook.com/MM.cinematographer/posts/763623580646982

And here he may seem to be boasting just a little, but I think you’ve gotta admit that even if he isn’t an expert in the ancient world, he is an expert in “alternative realities.”

https://www.facebook.com/MM.cinematographer/posts/776995105976496

27 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

I think you’ve gotta admit that even if he isn’t an expert in the ancient world, he is an expert in “alternative realities.”

I think Doug himself is a portal to an alternative reality.  As is Beall.  Perhaps that explains the lack of a divorce.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:44 AM, AnnaSofia said:

Untitled-2.jpg.8d353210b74c3bfd9bf1e14f754f976a.jpg

To say the least...

She is a cute girl, but she needs good hiking shoes for ICE! not tennis shoes. . .ugh

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived