IGNORED

Joy and Austin 24

Coconut Flan

It's a time honored American tradition to shit on all other states. For example: Fuck New Jersey. Just fuck 'em. 

Also, I think the hat debate is more of a generational thing. I'm in my twenties and don't know anyone around my age who sees it as disrespectful to wear hats indoors. It's one of those older etiquette things that seems to be fading into the past.  I doubt a lot of young people even realize it could be seen as disrespectful. 

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, BernRul said:

It's a time honored American tradition to shit on all other states. For example: Fuck New Jersey. Just fuck 'em. 

Also, I think the hat debate is more of a generational thing. I'm in my twenties and don't know anyone around my age who sees it as disrespectful to wear hats indoors. It's one of those older etiquette things that seems to be fading into the past.  I doubt a lot of young people even realize it could be seen as disrespectful. 

So your pupils are allowed to wear hats in class? Because it is still mostly forbidden here and most parents still teach their children not to wear hats inside or to be more precisely not to wear them to class, church, important social engagements (weddings and stuff) or at the table. They are seen as a part of very casual outdoor clothing. That doesn’t mean you are expected to remove your hat when just popping inside for something but if you stay inside you would remove the hat. Big exception- a house party of teenagers/students- but you wouldn’t be expected to remove your shoes either. So it is definitely still seen as a sign of disrespect.

Simular rules for sweat pants. If you are not on your way to or from the gym you don’t wear them outside. The stigma behind it: only people from a lower class and education background do that.

I think this might be something most American tourists don’t know about and could lead to a less pleasant experience as they might get massive side eyes. And of course I know not all Americans run around in sweat pants and baseball hats all the time!

I'm seriously wondering if Joy is pregnant. When asked about their living situation awhile ago she said something about 'an announcement' coming soon. Have we seen any pictures of her recently?

Then again, Joy is curvier than her sisters, wears baggy clothes, and has had a baby in the past year, so it would be hard to tell if she was showing unless she's several months along.

I make my students remove their hats in the classroom. After 7 weeks of reminding them, I’m now taking them away if they don’t. Then to get them back, they have to read a book and get 100% on the quiz! (Not a hard quiz, if you read the book you can easily get 100%)

9 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

So your pupils are allowed to wear hats in class? Because it is still mostly forbidden here and most parents still teach their children not to wear hats inside or to be more precisely not to wear them to class, church, important social engagements (weddings and stuff) or at the table. They are seen as a part of very casual outdoor clothing. That doesn’t mean you are expected to remove your hat when just popping inside for something but if you stay inside you would remove the hat. Big exception- a house party of teenagers/students- but you wouldn’t be expected to remove your shoes either. So it is definitely still seen as a sign of disrespect.

Simular rules for sweat pants. If you are not on your way to or from the gym you don’t wear them outside. The stigma behind it: only people from a lower class and education background do that.

I think this might be something most American tourists don’t know about and could lead to a less pleasant experience as they might get massive side eyes. And of course I know not all Americans run around in sweat pants and baseball hats all the time!

I don't know if kids would make a connection between no hats in school =respect. There are a lot of dress code rules, like no tank tops or sandals, for example.

But church and parties? Yeah, I've seen kids, teens, and college students wear hats for church and parties. Not weddings or funerals, but that's because they wouldn't wear jeans or sneakers either. A casual indoor event is fine to them. I doubt they'd even understand why someone might be offended. 

Of course it could also be regional. I live in a big city where baseball hats are a huge fashion statement for young men. Around here it just doesn't seem like a big deal any more. 

I've seen jeans at a funeral but that was always when it the family request it. Like for my uncle's funeral. He was a jeans and t-shirt guy. He hated suits and dressing up. It just wasn't him. The last suit he wore was for his 1st wedding way back in the 70s. It just felt really odd and out of place for everyone to show up in nice clothing for his funeral. My aunt told everyone they could wear jeans. So we all wore jeans and regular shirts. It felt so much more natural and right then if we had all worn nicer clothes.  

18 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I've seen jeans at a funeral but that was always when it the family request it. Like for my uncle's funeral. He was a jeans and t-shirt guy. He hated suits and dressing up. It just wasn't him. The last suit he wore was for his 1st wedding way back in the 70s. It just felt really odd and out of place for everyone to show up in nice clothing for his funeral. My aunt told everyone they could wear jeans. So we all wore jeans and regular shirts. It felt so much more natural and right then if we had all worn nicer clothes.  

What a wonderful way to honor his memory. 

On 10/20/2018 at 10:04 PM, BernRul said:

For example: Fuck New Jersey. Just fuck 'em. 

Fuck you, New Jersey is the best state :neener:

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:18 PM, VelociRapture said:

Any toy that allows my daughter to mimic an adult is an automatic win with her. She loves her bubble mower, her shopping cart, her toy purse (and my real purse), toy cars, toy cellphone, the toy kitchen at the library, our actual kitchen equipment... it’s the cutest thing to watch her act like we do. 

I bought my son a "prize" for being so great this weekend - I got him a little tiny tape measure and a level. (both "real" but small - like the tape measure was only 12 feet long) 

He said "Oh thank you Momma! I love it!......next time, buy me a drill." 

(he will also happily do whatever I'm doing in the kitchen and I have to put some flour in his pot, some spices in his pot etc) 

9 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

Fuck you, New Jersey is the best state :neener:

I actually love New Jersey lol. After all, Batman lives in New Jersey.  It was just the closest target from where I am. 

Maybe we can both shit on Delaware together? It's not even a real state! 

10 minutes ago, victoriasponge said:

Gideon is adorable! Nice to see him out in the autumn weather. Hope they stay as this small family for a while longer. 

Agreed. I know everyone thinks he looks all Austin, but I still think he looks like someone put austins nose on a duggar baby. I can definitely see cousin Israel in that last one.

7 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Agreed. I know everyone thinks he looks all Austin, but I still think he looks like someone put austins nose on a duggar baby. I can definitely see cousin Israel in that last one.

I think Felicity and Gideon have the same smile and eyes. I think they have a similar look when they are flashing their huge grins. He is a very happy little guy, I always like to see babies happy like this.  

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I think Felicity and Gideon have the same smile and eyes.

I'm not seeing that at all. Gideon's mouth is quite large, and Felicity's is small. :)

1 hour ago, victoriasponge said:

Gideon is adorable! Nice to see him out in the autumn weather. Hope they stay as this small family for a while longer. 

I just had a thought, Is she doing a "promoted to big brother" baby announcements?  She has yet to share anything hinting at a formal photo for him and he's almost a year old.  She's gotta spill the beans soon before Jabbie's wedding in 2 weeks if she is.

17 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I just had a thought, Is she doing a "promoted to big brother" baby announcements?  She has yet to share anything hinting at a formal photo for him and he's almost a year old.  She's gotta spill the beans soon before Jabbie's wedding in 2 weeks if she is

Gabby Patton posted pictures with Joy on her Instagram this weekend (she’s @texas.gal but it’s private). They were in Texas visiting Gabby’s family and went to the pumpking patch. Joy didn’t appear to be pregnant in the pictures.

Gabby also posted a stream of pictures of her baby daughter in the same scenario as Gideon. I think they just thought it was a good spot for pictures and did an impromptu photoshoot of the babies

I know a lot of people who do photoshoots with their infants. They release a few cute photos and then in a couple of weeks they release another one that's promoting them to big brother/sister. So while Joy isn't showing and nothing has been said yet, if in a couple of weeks we get a picture of Gideon from this day, I won't be surprised. 

9 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Put some socks on that baby! Pumpkin season is too chilly for bare feet.

Not in Texas.

2 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Not in Texas.

Possibly true (although Jinger posted about it being "chilly" in Laredo recently).

However, the kid's in jeans and a long-sleeved shirt; you'd think socks would be a good idea... :)

I can see Joy in his eyes, but the rest of him is all Austin. I think he's cute in that "baby boy looks like a gremlin" way. My son was similar. Giant head and smile, thin as a rail, so I have a soft spot for him.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:52 PM, just_ordinary said:

Hats weren't allowed (and still aren't) where i went to high school (I graduated in 2006). It was supposedly because of gangs. We weren't allowed to wear an outfit in all one color or bandanas either. We have a VERY diverse school, 3,000 kids, over 30 languages spoken, 1/4 white, 1/4 black,, 1/4 Asian 1/4 Latino. But I recall that part of the dress code being applied very discriminatory. Like mostly white girls got away with wearing bananas as headbands or head scarfs but not black especially male students. When the Step Team got all red uniforms they had to send them back and get something different, but it wasn't a problem for the cheerleading squad to have red warm up sweats.  

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived