11 hours ago, artdecades said:

they aren't even interesting enough for a snarky thread title

Understanding why people get divorced?

9 hours ago, LittleOwl said:

Joy, Austin and It. 

Based on this screen grab: 

Hide contents

Capture.JPG.d5afa908cec47be668988d67454827c1.JPG

I don’t know... they waited to find out if it ( ha- just used “it” without realizing it at first!) was a boy or a girl until he was born, so might just be what they used. I didn’t find out ahead of time with any of mine, and definitely recall saying things like “it’s kicking” or “it’s pressing on my bladder” . Gideon was only a couple weeks old when that was filmed, and they are clearly exhausted. Probably just habit. But I know people who refer to their unborn baby, affectionately, as “the parasite” “the alien” etc....so could just be me lol.

6 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

I don’t know... they waited to find out if it ( ha- just used “it” without realizing it at first!) was a boy or a girl until he was born, so might just be what they used. I didn’t find out ahead of time with any of mine, and definitely recall saying things like “it’s kicking” or “it’s pressing on my bladder” . Gideon was only a couple weeks old when that was filmed, and they are clearly exhausted. Probably just habit. But I know people who refer to their unborn baby, affectionately, as “the parasite” “the alien” etc....so could just be me lol.

I dunno, we chose not to find out and I still used "he" most of the time, not just because I suspected we were having a boy but also because saying "it" just felt weird. And I say that having been grumbled at by my husband for referring to him as "the fetus"!

Austin saying if "it" was breathing. YIKES.

Even sadder though was Joy's gratitude for the help he gave after her c-section. She'd "never seen" a man give "so much of himself" to his wife. WOW. Considering her Mom gave birth to 20 children including 2 sets of twins and a Jubilee who died, that's quite a statement.

Joys statement actually made me wonder how bad her recovery was, she must have seen Ofjill post Jills surgeries but he wasn't doing as much.  Is Ofjill that much worse? Or was Joy having that hard a recovery?

On 9/12/2018 at 10:29 AM, artdecades said:

they aren't even interesting enough for a snarky thread title

This should be the thread title. 

On 9/13/2018 at 11:54 AM, justoneoftwo said:

please don't do this child called it is just too horrific

If it makes you feel better, that book is likely fake. (or at least last I researched it was)

8 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

This should be the thread title. 

If it makes you feel better, that book is likely fake. (or at least last I researched it was)

that does help, yes.

As a couple who is so very life begins at conception, refeerring to their breathing in the world child as it seems weird to me. And in the womb, there are these  other pronouns I’d like to introduce them to. They. Them. Their. 

Parents affectionately calling their child something— it, thing, monster—is one thing. But calling the child it, while fighting for all fetuses to have the same right to live and personhood as those out of the womb, seems a bit backwards to me. 

37 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

that does help, yes.

I found the article I was remembering. I remember this book really breaking my heart when I read it in grade school, then I happened upon this when I was in college. Not impressed. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/28/magazine/dysfunction-for-dollars.html

12 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I found the article I was remembering. I remember this book really breaking my heart when I read it in grade school, then I happened upon this when I was in college. Not impressed. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/28/magazine/dysfunction-for-dollars.html

I found that guy’s book a few months ago. I think the library suggested it based off my reading history. I read a lot of those kind of narratives. He seemed off. I wasn’t interested in his sequels. Thanks for that link. Not shocking.

2 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

Joys statement actually made me wonder how bad her recovery was, she must have seen Ofjill post Jills surgeries but he wasn't doing as much.  Is Ofjill that much worse? Or was Joy having that hard a recovery?

Depend on pain tolerance for the most part. However, I would guess that Joy had a pretty rough time of it. It's sad how grateful she was to Austin. Is this one of those? I failed as a woman, I'm not worthy things? I don't know. She deserved the help that she got, 9 months of pregnancy and a hard labour; Austin can handle the diapers and other care!

I'm actually relieved that we don't have a special thread title for Joy and Austin. It means they aren't obnoxiously posting several parts of their life. Obviously they (and Joe and Kendra) are still working for TLC, but they seem a bit more interested in living their life than game. I would like to think, that if Counting On were cancelled, these two couples would just fade away.

Joy just seemed like she hated being pregnant. No judgment, so did I. Pregnancy was horrific from me, beginning to end (including the 6 miscarriages and 5 IVFs). I was sick as a dog and had pretty much every complication you could come up with, c-section each time, one of my two kids was also a preemie. But truthfully my c-sections and recovery were a breeze. I could run a 5K in a month. I had almost no pain, no bleeding, didn't need narcotics and bounced out of bed as soon as that catheter was gone. In retrospect I don't know if it was really that easy/painless or if it's just that my pregnancies were SO awful and hard that anything that followed was like a dream. However, it seems to me like with Joy that didn't happen - she may have had a miserable 9 months followed by a delivery she didn't anticipate or want, followed by a difficult and painful recovery. Anyway, that's just the vibe I get from her in the latest couple of episodes.

I wouldn't wish it on anybody, but at the same time it may spare her from aggressively having way more children than she can handle.

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived