IGNORED

Dillards 65: Standard Cringe, New Atrocious Signage

Georgiana

13 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Agreed, but when have these people ever shown consideration for anyone else?

How about the Rodrigues crew, having a baby shower in the hospital where Jill Rod's quadriplegic sister was being treated??

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the Netherlands we have a whole business around 'Zakelijk Flirten' which would translate to Corporate Flirting. There are all these books and courses to take to have better business relations, without any sexual context.

So in that light, flirting of kids is also not weird, it can just mean that you try to wrap someone around your finger to get them on your side. 

However, I would not choose the word myself. The reason why they choose the word 'flirting' for this corporate thing is to make it sound more sexy and therefore more interesting. There are so many more neutral words you could use.

5 hours ago, bella8050 said:

Just came across this. That hashtag though...

9EF3D5C2-A042-4FD4-896B-3D771C8E58B7.thumb.jpeg.8863b62c34ab03f6c5f5c10b55933ea0.jpeg

*except the gays, women, and minorities. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

*except the gays, women, and minorities. 

And except catholics. 

15 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

And except catholics. 

and "fake jews" 

(well to be fair that was Jeremy, but he said it like it's a thing)

30 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

And except catholics. 

And Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Wiccans, atheists, pagans, transgender people, women with careers, condom users, and the green haired.

But other than that, he's all about liberty and justice.

I am fascinated to see how Derick will deal with a real course on the Constitution and how equal protection works. I suspect his American government education so far has been heavily David Barton-esque. I think he will also be uncomfortable to learn how much our law is not Judeo-Christian based, but rather modeled mostly after those pagan, homoerotic Greeks, particularly the judicial system.

On 9/11/2018 at 11:20 AM, Hashtag Blessed said:

This, right here, is exactly why it is gross to many of us, I think. I know it seems innocent and non-sexual to some people, but if it is so innocent why do little boys never “flirt” with their daddies? It is the same in my mind as men who claim that catcalling is them “just being friendly.” Sure bro. That’s why you’re also yelling at men to smile and telling them how pretty they look today, right? Oh, you’re not? Well why not? I thought it was totally platonic friendliness!

If saying that your baby boy is flirting with adult men creeps you out, it should also creep you out to say he’s flirting with adult women. 

The word flirting has sexual undertones and it is gross to use it to describe a child this way.

Sorry to interrupt a serious discussion but I need an intervention!!

I found myself yay-ing Jill-style twice (!!) to my daughter today when she lifted her head and punched a dangling toy on her playmat.

Am I turning into a Dillard? Will I start a questionable career on social media next? How do I stop?

Help!!

3 minutes ago, SweetJuly said:

Am I turning into a Dillard? Will I start a questionable career on social media next? How do I stop?

Help!!

Just don't post open-mouthed selfies to Instagram and you'll be fine.

8 minutes ago, SweetJuly said:

Sorry to interrupt a serious discussion but I need an intervention!!

I found myself yay-ing Jill-style twice (!!) to my daughter today when she lifted her head and punched a dangling toy on her playmat.

Help!!

Don't marry a guy who looks like Skeletor and worship him for the littlest things. 

Also think critically, you'll be good. 

10 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

But they’re doing it as a mission so money is not important to them. They are volonteering to show us heathens the way of the lord. God bless! 

:pb_lol:

But if it really is a ministry, wouldn't he want it to stay on the heathen network so that the heathens watching the other shows would find jesus or something?

oh wait, I forgot, they only minister to those who are christian already but the wrong kind.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Don't marry a guy who looks like Skeletor and worship him for the littlest things. 

Also think critically, you'll be good. 

Skeletor is way better looking than Mr. Jill. 

Also smarter. And less offensive. And less hateful. And that's saying something, cause Skeleton wasn't the universe's nicest guy! Still, I'd choose him over ofJill any day.

As a christian, I am stumped as to how so many fundamentalists can claim to follow Jesus yet spew so much hate. It goes directly against His teachings, and pushes people away from God. 

1 hour ago, CaricatureQualities said:

Do you think Der wants the show moved to UPtv because then maybe he and Jill could be on it again?

Yes! As much as he wants us to think that he was volunteering, we know that he was getting paid. Now that the pay check is gone. He wants to move to UP! to get it back! 

On 9/11/2018 at 7:08 AM, HarleyQuinn said:

I align more with nastyhobbitses on this one. "flirting" and "mama" shouldn't be in the same sentence together. It's creepy, especially from a family who swept sex abuse under the rug. 

Context is important.  I probably wouldn't give as much thought to some random person posting a picture with a similar caption about their little toddler "flirting", but when Jill (or any of the Duggar offspring) post something like that, the history I know about their family and Josh's sexual abuse makes me uncomfortable with that usage.

I don't think I ever said that my son (as a baby/toddler/little guy) was flirting with anyone, but I do remember sometimes saying he was being charming.  Kind of the same thing, but not quite (in my mind).  He used to like to get strangers to smile at him, so he would smile and wave as I was pushing him around the grocery store in the cart, or taking a walk with him in the stroller.  Most people, except the few whose hearts were withered and hardened, would smile back.

I'm really not cool with using "flirting" to describe interactions with children, but it's interesting to read all these perspectives. "Charming" and "playful" and "hamming it up" (if a camera is around) are all terms I'd use.

I think I associate "flirting" with romantic/sexual interactions so much because it's a term Mr. Knees and I often use it to describe boundaries in our relationship. We're both okay with the other flirting with others, but anything beyond that would require serious discussion. So I guess, for me, the term "fliritng" is really important because it's useful for identifying consent. If I were to use it for kids and babies then what sort of term would we use for that in our relationship?

That said, it's a bit intense and even rape-culture-ish to think that the goal of flirting is sex, or that flirting is meant to lead to sex, or whatever. I don't think that, so I can see how others might have an even more innocent interpretation of "flirting" than I have.

16 hours ago, Granwych said:

How about the Rodrigues crew, having a baby shower in the hospital where Jill Rod's quadriplegic sister was being treated??

Oh, you mean taping their signs over hospital signs, shouting in the ICU hallway, asking for money for Jill instead of donations to help Amy with medical expenses, and getting David to go to the women’s bathroom with her after calling the police on a woman who she thought was transgender using the women’s bathroom? (Because only godly Christian cis men and cis women can use the women’s bathroom). She’s done more awful, inconsiderate things since.

Spoiler

tumblr_mhv80okzAc1rlr2dlo1_250.gif

16 hours ago, bella8050 said:

Just came across this. That hashtag though...

9EF3D5C2-A042-4FD4-896B-3D771C8E58B7.thumb.jpeg.8863b62c34ab03f6c5f5c10b55933ea0.jpeg

*All cishet white Christians

7 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Just don't post open-mouthed selfies to Instagram and you'll be fine.

@SweetJuly Yes, photos of baby accomplishments are fine! Yay for mini July! Just aim the camera/phone at the baby, make sure it’s focused, and BAM, you are better at social media than Jill.

Lmao. So I went to Derdick’s twitter to see his post about TLC, and found this gem of response about his midterms. What a wanker.  

F39D6755-0807-469C-803F-7383E47CC3EB.png

6 hours ago, Ilovebrownies said:

The word flirting has sexual undertones and it is gross to use it to describe a child this way.

To me, flirting is just being charming with a "purpose", if you get what I mean. I don't think it applies to kids, who can be charming for reasons (candy? toys?) but nothing remotely sexual.

2 minutes ago, meowfundiecatz said:

It finally happened. Derick brought Jill to class. Why??????????

The closest she’ll ever get to college sadly 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived