IGNORED

Dillards 65: Standard Cringe, New Atrocious Signage

Georgiana

51 minutes ago, squiddysquid said:

I don't think so. His father was a police officer, so definitely underpaid. And his mother just had cancer, people are usually broke after that unfortunately.

His dad may have had good life insurance. 

And not everyone is broke after cancer. My dad died of cancer  just short of three years since diagnosis. My mother was not left broke. Far from it actually. If insurance or Medicare pays decently and you have a good, even not huge income, you can manage. I could give numbers, but that's really not anyone's business.

Derick's mother's treatment seems to have been shorter than my father's duration of treatment was, too. If she had a good life insurance pay out when his father died, she may have been okay due to that, as well. She is also at an age where she may have had an inheritance from a deceased parent or other relative of cash, assets or both that helped her. At her and her second husband's age, it is also quite possible that the home they live in is paid for and no mortgage makes a difference as well. 

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Dandruff and @Gobsmacked - I have no idea why or how they're still there. I firmly believe they're still living in that duplex, though - because none of the backgrounds (either interior or exterior) in any of their photos have changed since they moved into the property. 

Face it, the hardest thing that Dillard and many of the others in this fam damily ever work at is not working. 

Dillard will do anything other than working a daily, paying job.

I talk a lot about my husband here...BUT...mostly because I've been in a really shitty relationship and me & Mr. Xtian's marriage was REALLY rocky (on life support) when he finally heard that loud popping noise of his head coming out of his ass. Now, he's the "dream" husband...I don't say much on FB though. 

**he's MY dream husband. 

21 hours ago, hethamahay said:

Truthfully, I don't think Jill's overuse of #besthubbyever and #bestpapaever are deliberate attempts at rehabbing her husbands image or stroking his ego. She has been raised to not expect her husband to help around the house. The husband goes out and make the money while the wife stays home and takes care of the kids and wives shouldn't expect their husbands to help around the house even if they are sick, tired, overwhelmed, etc. It was this behavior that was modeled to Jill her whole life....snip.... So when Derick does nice things for her, like cook a meal or reads to the boys, she probably believes that he is a great husband and father. It's hard to be disappointed if she has zero expectations.    

Very fair point. And yes while its the "mans role" to provide.... pre TLC days were pretty sparse so she's use to that. Plus women aren't supposed to question thier husbands and derek is "following gods orders". I think she probably prays a lot that she will be able to "understand" her headship, her derek to heed gods will, and for contentment. 

I do wonder how they are still in that campus apartment. Looked up the housing for the program. Maybe they have more space than students and they worked out some type of deal with the realtor company? It still sems odd.

FF09D712-BA5C-4C0A-89B6-BA1512645491.thumb.png.d347f3a9e0c429eec46e87e1909d3642.png

I disagree with their views vehemently, but maybe praising her husband on social media helps their marriage. Maybe those words of affirmation go a long way in a busy time with young kids and a lot of change. Derick isn't likable, he's bared his heart on repeat and shown it to be closed and shriveled (Jill hasn't done any better), but I do think Jill loves him and is invested in making their partnership work for the lifetime. 

Derick trolls, Jill gushes, but her audience isn't necessarily a wide one.

8 hours ago, cascarones said:

Derick trolls, Jill gushes

That would be a great title for the next Dillard thread. lol

Instead of gushing about my partner on social media, I like to photoshop his face onto various things and post them on his wall without telling him. Highlights have included He-Man, Diglett, and Blackadder.

#bestgirlfriendever #relationshipgoals #isitannoyingorfunny #alittlebitofboth #justlikeme

12 hours ago, bella8050 said:

I do wonder how they are still in that campus apartment. Looked up the housing for the program. Maybe they have more space than students and they worked out some type of deal with the realtor company? It still sems odd.

FF09D712-BA5C-4C0A-89B6-BA1512645491.thumb.png.d347f3a9e0c429eec46e87e1909d3642.png

The way that reads, it sounds like Cross Church has  contracts  to long-term lease various local properties for their students . It may not be unusual for a married student with kids to just negotiate take over the property lease when they complete the program. If the Duggars own hundreds of properties in the area they very well might be one of the local realtors leasing to the Church in the first place. 

As a side - it appears the program charges single students $10,000 per school year to live in one of these properties - with roommates- does that seems like a pretty high rent for the area ? $800 a month for a room? 

37 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

If the Duggars own hundreds of properties in the area they very well might be one of the local realtors leasing to the Church in the first place. 

I've found zero connections between Duggar-owned properties and these duplexes. 

34 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I suspect Derick wouldn't want to pay rent to Jim Bob anyway.

38 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Not doubting you - just curious because my previous work in a non-profit involved leasing private property for our clients - are leasing agreements public record ? 

20 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I suspect Derick wouldn't want to pay rent to Jim Bob anyway.

Especially since JB is probably already paying for his law school to shut him up. 

Didn't somebody ask Derrick on Twitter months ago why they were living there (as opposed to Duggar property) and he replied that it was cheaper?

Cathy is almost certainly receiving a surviving spousal pension from whatever police department her husband served. Back in his time and even today among public service employees, the defined benefit pensions are very generous.

That video from Michelle’s birthday treat at the Dillard’s is a great example of how Israel blossoms when someone pays him some attention. It’s sad when it’s Meechelle who stands out for her interaction with a kid :( 

On 9/22/2018 at 12:10 PM, AtlanticTug said:

Derrick isn't doing anything more than your average person, in fact he's doing less.

But to be fair to Jill, compare to her brothers and brothers-in-law, it may appear that he, in fact, is more productive. Josh and Joe work at the car lot - a small, used car lot with not a lot of traffic or busy times. Do you really think they're putting in 40, 50, 60 hour weeks? Yarite. Ben, heaven only knows what he does and I still maintain that if he had a respectable 9-5 job we'd know about it. I don't but all these arguments of "employers don't want him to tell the Internets where he works" because it is completely unnecessary to name your employer in order to make clear what you do. "Hi, I'm Ben and I am a physiotherapist." No mention of what town/suburb, what clinic, etc. Jeremy is doing online study and is a pastor and judging by his travel schedule, he doesn't exactly seem like he's doing backbreaking labour. Hell he couldn't even be bothered to learn Spanish living and preaching in Laredo. Josiah? Jer/Jed? Which of these men around Jill "work" harder than Derrick? It's all the same shit, different name.

I thought they didn't have the car lot anymore? I'm so behind.

In regards to Jill/Derick's living situation, my husband said that "all" of the Duggar's (he doesn't know anything about them, so I don't know who exactly) were working on a property somewhere last week. He was told it was one of the daughter's homes. They were putting up a fence, or new fencing, or something. I don't know where it was, which daughter, or anything like that. I assumed it was Jill since it wasn't Jessa's house, but I completely forgot Joy is married too. Maybe Jill moved?? I could be completely wrong and on the end of a bad game of "telephone." 

"But to be fair to Jill, compare to her brothers and brothers-in-law, it may appear that he, in fact, is more productive."

This. My first reaction is yeah, no other husband on the face of the earth goes out into the world all day and then comes home and plays with their kids. But you're right, in Jillymuffin world, no one does.

4 hours ago, ati_escapee said:

I thought they didn't have the car lot anymore? I'm so behind.

In regards to Jill/Derick's living situation, my husband said that "all" of the Duggar's (he doesn't know anything about them, so I don't know who exactly) were working on a property somewhere last week. He was told it was one of the daughter's homes. They were putting up a fence, or new fencing, or something. I don't know where it was, which daughter, or anything like that. I assumed it was Jill since it wasn't Jessa's house, but I completely forgot Joy is married too. Maybe Jill moved?? I could be completely wrong and on the end of a bad game of "telephone." 

I wonder if they misspoke and it was Josiah/Lauren's gigantic home. That was a major work in progress and could keep the lot of them busy for a while.

Does anybody know for how much the Stoneybrook house sold? I'm just curious as to what that sort of house would go for in rural Arkansas. I live in the most expensive real estate city in the country so these things always drive me nuts. When you watch a first time buyer couple on HGTV getting a 5,000 sq foot home somewhere like Atlanta for $250K it's like what the actual F...

5 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

That video from Michelle’s birthday treat at the Dillard’s is a great example of how Israel blossoms when someone pays him some attention

True. The way the poor kid acts, he gets little-to-no attention from anyone.

It's also a great example of yet another vertical banner hanging in the doorway.

8 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

Didn't somebody ask Derrick on Twitter months ago why they were living there (as opposed to Duggar property) and he replied that it was cheaper?

This sounds like one of Derick's attempts at being technically true. Maybe it's just cheaper in terms of gas to travel to school or energy spent dealing with JB and Michelle. If it's the latter, I can't blame him. It seems like any amount of money would be "cheaper" than the emotional costs of living on the compound. 

25 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

This sounds like one of Derick's attempts at being technically true. Maybe it's just cheaper in terms of gas to travel to school or energy spent dealing with JB and Michelle. If it's the latter, I can't blame him. It seems like any amount of money would be "cheaper" than the emotional costs of living on the compound. 

He actually said “rent” is cheaper meaning they were paying JB. I went back to check it. I still doubt they’d have been paying market value.

11 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

As a side - it appears the program charges single students $10,000 per school year to live in one of these properties - with roommates- does that seems like a pretty high rent for the area ? $800 a month for a room? 

It's possible the school rolls in utilities too, so the room might be less then 800 a month but adding water, electricity and heating brings up the price considerably. 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived