IGNORED

2018: Hurricanes and Tropical Storms

Cartmann99

https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurricane/tracker

i have found this tracker that i'm using to follow the situation, it really is going to be a big storm this, i only recently started to pay attention to the hurricane season, but i read that this is the first time in many years that such a big storm is coming so north. Please be safe and give a word as soon as you can, so that we know that you are safe 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very anxious and worried for all of you affected by this storm.  Please stay safe and let us know how you’re all doing.

Our German astronaut posted lots of pictures of that thing from space and it looks massive. 

Watch out, America! #HurricaneFlorence is so enormous, we could only capture her with a super wide-angle lens from the @Space_Station, 400 km directly above the eye. Get prepared on the East Coast, this is a no-kidding nightmare coming for you. #Horizons

https://twitter.com/Astro_Alex/status/1039870760343543814

EDIT: Stay safe everyone! 

1 hour ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Very anxious and worried for all of you affected by this storm.  Please stay safe and let us know how you’re all doing.

Thanks so much! Will do!

As well as the essential oils, don't forget the Plexus.

Seriously, Wolf Boy is in Virginia, Zone B. We are supposed to visit in 3 weeks. Please take care everyone.

God how I hate Rush Limbaugh. What an asshole. My oldest has a house on the coast, she’s on the way here with her family and cats. 

Right now our town is full of human and furry evacuees. We are expecting possible hazardous floods and winds, but nothing like people on the coast will experience. How the storm shifts directions will dictate our outcome. I hope everyone in the mandatory zones have safely evacuated. ❤️ 

Spoiler

5FCBDADC-569E-487C-8C41-42A82B8C99ED.thumb.jpeg.a8c1b1a2ecd8c67d14b5d2bfada6621e.jpeg

Little evacuees a friend is fostering:

Spoiler

7D394AE0-D73A-44F9-8711-43B891C39E9C.thumb.jpeg.af3bf748b3969f75aba0b1df1ca5b573.jpeg

I hate as these storms get closer and the window for people to safely leave closes.

?

4 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Rush-hole: 

We really need a fuck that guy reaction, for when WTF just isn't enough. What a gigantic asshole. I hope no one dies because they believe his bullshit. 

Major network news tonight was featuring a few people who had planned to sit it out but came to their senses and decided to evacuate.  One was a couple with two young children. And without further comment

Screenshot 2018-09-12 at 6.33.32 PM.png

5 hours ago, DancingPhalanges said:

God how I hate Rush Limbaugh. What an asshole. My oldest has a house on the coast, she’s on the way here with her family and cats. 

Right now our town is full of human and furry evacuees. We are expecting possible hazardous floods and winds, but nothing like people on the coast will experience. How the storm shifts directions will dictate our outcome. I hope everyone in the mandatory zones have safely evacuated. ❤️ 

Hide contents

5FCBDADC-569E-487C-8C41-42A82B8C99ED.thumb.jpeg.a8c1b1a2ecd8c67d14b5d2bfada6621e.jpeg

Hide contents

7D394AE0-D73A-44F9-8711-43B891C39E9C.thumb.jpeg.af3bf748b3969f75aba0b1df1ca5b573.jpeg

That comic with the two Carolinas is really kind of sad.  But the kittens are adorable.  I'm so glad that I've seen so many notices reminding people to take their pets and that more places will accept them.

My sister's friend lives in South Carolina in a retirement apartment complex.  They were told to be ready to shelter in place but now it looks like they may have to evacuate.

I heard part of what flush limbaugh was saying earlier, I got so angry at him that I changed the station - I try not to listen to him if I can avoid it anyway.  He's infuriating, but I'm not surprised that he said that.  He is about as ignorant as it gets.

Those kittens are cute!

I have cousins in Charleston who have evacuated to in-laws in Atlanta. Their family includes young children so I was very glad to hear they're safe.

I had a request at work today to extend a deadline due to the impact of Florence. I hope we get a yes from management on that one (we're not impacted ourselves, but the people concerned are!)

Good luck everyone. Stay safe.

Mr. Kittens and I decided for a multitude of reasons to shelter in place during Irma last year. Afterwards, we said never again and we’ll evacuate next time.

He was up all night;  the feline headship and I took our meds and slept. The next morning I told him I had a dream we were on a boat and I could feel the waves. He informed me that was the building moving and that was around the time he was considering waking us up and hiding in the closet.

I really hope people take it seriously. Once you’re in, you’re in. 

One piece of advice I saw on Cuomo’s show that I feel is very important:

The storm surge could be pretty massive. Lots of areas are at risk for significant flooding, especially since they think this storm could hover for a while. If your house is flooded DO NOT GO INTO YOUR ATTIC IF THERE ARE NO WINDOWS UP THERE! This storm is going to linger for a while and no one is going to be floating around with the machinery necessary to cut you out of the attic. If you go up there and there are no windows you could very well get trapped or worse. As scary as it sounds your chances are likely better if you leave your house at that point.

This is going to be a very bad storm. I saw predictions that basically the entire state of South Carolina could end up flooding. If you live in the affected areas then please use the utmost caution - this is not the type of storm you mess around with. 

Good luck and try to check in when (if) you can! I’ll say a few prayers for you guys. 

I am so anxious about this storm. We haven't had water or bread or canned goods in the grocery stores since Monday. But I think I have enough water for a week. There is no gas to be found. I tried. So even if I wanted to flee north, I cannot. They sent home university students yesterday and cancelled our schools for the rest of the week. All the roads going ANYWHERE are gridlocked. People were trying to kill each other in the Trader Joe's parking lot this morning, I just wanted peanut butter! (didn't have any...). Today I tried to stay off of social media, which feeds my fears,  and finish a bunch of homework since Wifi might be gone soon. 

I'm going to hunker down and ride it out. You don't take severe autism to a shelter, you just don't. And I would never leave my cats. I just can't decide if I should put the cats, my daughter and I in one bedroom on the 3rd floor that has a window (our whole complex is surrounded by trees) but with a large closet with no windows if needed, or in our kitchen (open, no door) on the second floor that is separated with a half wall/bar from a lot of windows and glass door on the second floor. 

I had a baby during Hurricane Hugo in Charlotte. No one expected the storm we had then. It was literally like a war zone for weeks. No power, no phone. It was a traumatic birth and left me just really hating hurricanes. 

I'm just sickkkkkk

@Nikedagain?, if I were in your position, I would prepare both areas so that I had another choice in case something happened to one of them. I have more experience with tornados than hurricanes, so my first instinct would be to get in the bathtub and hold a mattress over me to help protect myself from any broken glass or other flying debris. If that wasn't possible, I'd still drag the mattresses off of the beds and put them in the prepared places to use as a shield if necessary.

I also don't have a cool head in a crisis, so I would write out a plan for contingencies, like if this floor gets flooded I will take shelter in this part of my home, if we have to leave these are things we must take, etc. I would stick the list in my pocket so it would be handy if I needed to refer to it. The storm would scare my cats to death, so I'd put them in their carriers before things got hairy. If my windows blew out or a tree fell on the house, my kitties would likely run out into the storm in a blind terror, and I'd probably never see them again.

You've been through a hurricane before so you probably already know all this stuff, but maybe it will help someone who is going through this for the first time.

I'm so sorry that you and your daughter are having to experience this. I hope you have time to check back with us, as we will be thinking of you and sending good thoughts/vibes/prayers out for you two, and everyone else who is dealing with this storm. 

I don't sleep too well these days, so I'll be checking the thread throughout the night to see if anyone else is around. 

Praying for everyone in Florence's path. I hope everyone remains safe. This storm looks to be really nasty.`

We just had a Cat. 2 Typhoon roll over our island on Monday and just got power and water service back today. Originally, it was expected to hit us as a Cat. 4 or even 5, but luckily it sped up and hit us Monday instead of Wednesday like predicted so it didn't get a chance to really organize until it passed us. Unfortunately, it is now headed towards the Philippines and Taiwan as a much stronger storm. 

South Carolina was devastated by flooding in 2015. It was called a thousand year flood. My daughter was born the week before it happened and I remember being awake with her and listening to the never ending rain. Our neighborhood didn’t experience any flooding so I’m not worried for us but I am worried for the people who may have to experience flooding again. My favorite used bookstore closed because the owner couldn’t recover from the damage the storm did even with insurance. It was devastating for some especially when the dams broke. It’s the winds that have me worried. I’m trying to think of the best way to secure my daughter’s play set. 

The people who understand climate change are insurance companies and I wish they'd put their considerable lobbying clout into making pig ignorant legislators at the state and national level understand cause and effect. 

Right now it is eerily calm! No wind, no rain. Just very cloudy. My close friends stayed in the Atlantic Beach/Emerald Isle area and they are live streaming as things get cranked up there. They still have power, but no one around them does. I've done laundry, packed a bag, have cat carriers down and ready, things are charged. We are all snuggled on my bed watching It's always Sunny. My daughter is watching The Wiggles on her iPad. I hate The Wiggles. F The Wiggles. 

I read something last night about nursing homes choosing not to evacuate due to high risks to residents due to the stress of the evacuation. I'm curious if this happens what do they do for staff? Are they expected to commute in a hurricane?!?! Did ones like the one I read about (intentionally built on high ground with strong outer walls/roof to be safe in a hurricane) have a place for staff to stay and shelter/work in the building? There was no mention of staff other than them wanting to keep residents safe and no comment section, so I was hoping some FJer might know.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:12 AM, Cartmann99 said:

Don't forget your grill if you are evacuating! :kitty-wink:

Dm5IklMXcAIFJ4s?format=jpg

If you are taking so many things with you that it looks like your car is about to cave in you might need to make some decisions about what you really need...

On 9/12/2018 at 1:32 PM, Gobbles said:

Our German astronaut posted lots of pictures of that thing from space and it looks massive. 

https://twitter.com/Astro_Alex/status/1039870760343543814

EDIT: Stay safe everyone! 

Holy crap

On 9/12/2018 at 3:07 PM, DancingPhalanges said:

Hide contents

What adorable snuggle babies!! 

16 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

I'm going to hunker down and ride it out. You don't take severe autism to a shelter, you just don't

Yeah, I recently read an article about how disaster plans developed by cities and such tend not to include people with disabilities (people with limited mobility, autism, etc). I’m sorry that riding it out is your best option. Sending you lots of good thoughts!

If anyone needs a laugh, check out this erm - graphic graphic from the official National Hurricane Updates Facebook page. Then read the comments. I have no idea how no one caught this very obvious issue before publishing it. 

https://www.facebook.com/240031789457347/posts/1685305701596608/ (no idea why it won’t embed. I think the link works now.

Archived