IGNORED

Texas Senate Race: Beto O'Rourke vs. Ted Cruz

Cartmann99

1 hour ago, Cartmann99 said:

I should explain this for the non-Texans. The laws on the open carrying of knives in Texas changed in 2017 so that there is no longer any restrictions on blade size. So, unless the business owner asked her to leave it in the car, @Howl could legally take her big melon cutting knife into the BBQ place in case she needed to fight off any attackers.

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/texas-law-will-allow-open-carry-of-knives-swords-

I personally think this is nuts, but my elected officials love this sort of nonsense.

There was a woman at the credit union the other day who had a sword strung across her back. It looked like a toy, but who knows 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here come the pissed off conservatives:

Spoiler

If they had paid attention, they would have known that Willie Nelson is not a conservative. Also, Willie is 85, and I don't think he gives a damn about what other people think of him.

4 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Here come the pissed off conservatives:

Reveal hidden contents

If they had paid attention, they would have known that Willie Nelson is not a conservative. Also, Willie is 85, and I don't think he gives a damn about what other people think of him.

We have Willie and they have pants pooper Ted.  I’m good with that

I have a serious question. Are Ted's people actually trying to get him big interviews and just can't find anybody who wants to talk to him? 

21 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

When you can't win on arguments, use bots.

That's too much credit for Cruz supporters... they probably don't notice that they are the same, and they wouldn't care if it was...

11 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

That's too much credit for Cruz supporters... they probably don't notice that they are the same, and they wouldn't care if it was...

That's precisely why it's so scary...

WASHINGTON — Former President George W. Bush is hosting a series of fundraising events for vulnerable Republican candidates, including a couple of House members facing tough re-election bids in his home state of Texas.

Politico first reported that Bush held a closed-door event Wednesday morning in Fort Worth for Rep. Will Hurd, R-San Antonio, and will host a similar gathering next week in Dallas for Rep. Pete Sessions, the Republican who serves as Bush's congressman.

The former president will also headline fundraisers in the coming days and weeks for Florida Gov. Rick Scott, who is running for Senate in that state; North Dakota Senate candidate Kevin Cramer; Missouri Senate candidate Josh Hawley; and Indiana Senate candidate Mike Braun.

"While he prefers to consider himself retired from politics, President Bush recognizes how important it is to keep the Senate and decided to help a few key candidates," Bush spokesman Freddy Ford told Politico.

Noticeably absent from the list is Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, a Republican who is facing a surprisingly robust challenge from Rep. Beto O'Rourke, D-El Paso.

Cruz once worked for the former commander in chief, both on Bush's presidential campaign and then in his administration. The senator also met his wife, Heidi, while working for Bush's campaign, leading him to say that he "will always be grateful" to the former president.

But Bush hasn't reciprocated many warm feelings for Cruz, who made his name by rebelling against the GOP establishment that Bush represents.

Bush reportedly dissed Cruz at a private fundraising event in late 2015 by saying, "I just don't like the guy." Bush and his wife, Laura, also haven't given to Cruz's campaigns, despite supporting other Republicans since leaving the White House, according to campaign finance records.

Ford, the Bush spokesman, on Wednesday said there are currently no plans to host a fundraising event for Cruz, adding that he's not aware of the senator having requested such assistance.

"We've considered the requests we've received and accepted those that work with our schedule," he told The Dallas Morning News.

Bush's forays into other races in Texas and across the U.S. reflect the serious headwinds facing the GOP in the November elections, where Republican control of the House and Senate could hinge on how voters feel about the early tenure of President Donald Trump.

The former president has generally avoided public involvement in politics since returning to Texas, though he notably didn't vote for Trump and has made some thinly veiled criticisms of Trump.

Bush's fundraising on behalf of Sessions, his congressman, is of particular note. The longtime incumbent is facing his first real Democratic challenge in years, thanks to a campaign by Colin Allred, a former NFL player who served in President Barack Obama's administration.

"He's really proud that Pete Sessions is his congressman and wants to support him," Ford, the Bush spokesman, told The News.

Sessions, in a nod to the high stakes, has been relying on that kind of heavyweight support of late.

"It is a tremendous honor to, once again, have President Bush and his wonderful wife, Laura, standing with me for re-election," he said Thursday in a news release. "They understand I have always championed policies to create broad-based growth and opportunities for North Texas families."

House Speaker Paul Ryan stumped Monday with Sessions in Dallas. U.S. Energy Secretary Rick Perry, the former Texas governor, made an appearance with Sessions last month. Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani will headline a fundraiser for Sessions next week, the Texas Tribune reported. And a senior strategist to Vice President Mike Pence's political action committee said Pence will also campaign for Sessions.

That slate earned mockery Thursday from Rep. Ben Ray Luján, D-N.M., chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

"This is the same person who said he didn't need any help from any outside investment, that he could do this on his own," Lujan said during a sit-down with regional reporters. "Clearly this is a competitive seat that's receiving the attention of the GOP, that they're sounding the alarms."

Hurd also faces a stiff test in his West Texas district from Democrat Gina Ortiz Jones.

Ford, the Bush spokesman, said the former president is "very impressed with Will Hurd," explaining that the contest is a "really important race in President Bush's state that he also wanted to get behind."

1 hour ago, Ais said:

I've just spied this on twitter, at the very least surely this is unethical and deceptive?

Screenshot_20180917-085128__01.jpg

I really hope he isn't specifically targeting the elderly with that.

Archived