IGNORED

VICE article about fundie snark

Rachel333

2 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Yes, we are not a support group but we have survivors here and we try to support them.  I don't think whoever wrote that article looked at QoS where we talk about many more families.  They picked up on the Rod and the Maxwell subforums, but I wish they had also mentioned the Pissing Pastor and wandered over to QoS.

Off topic, but I am glad that FJ is not a support group. If I wanted a support group I would find one. I enjoy the discussion, the back-and-forth, the questions, etc. It's like meeting for virtual coffee (or wine) with friends. :) It seems like FJ has a "reputation" on the internet, but it's really a very respectful place for the most part, at least the threads I read. 

2 hours ago, smittykins said:

I have to admit that I was surprised when TWoP permanently locked the Gosselin thread.

Back in the olden days, I used to use my real name for sites because it's *never* taken and it was just easy to do.  When I started following the Gosselin saga, GWoP was the FIRST place I used a pseudonym because her fanpoodles scared the everloving shit out of me.  They were SCARY.

When I first was owner of FJ, I still did not want Gosselin fans to follow anyone home so even though I followed them and had lots of info I didn't encourage posts regarding them.   At some point, after I was settled in as owner, I realized there really wasn't much they could do other than be a PITA and I started posting more threads about Kate.   We never seemed to pick up any of the hardcore fans, though we used to have one that just loved Kate, but hated the duggars.   I spent a lot of time pointing out to her how the things she was bitching about the duggars doing, she was perfectly fine with Kate doing.   I can't recall when, but she flounced at some point years ago.

I actually posted on TWOP to defend the Duggars back when I was in my early teens, before the show started. At that point I was still seeing and talking to the Duggars fairly regularly and I was upset that people who didn't even know them were being so harsh. Obviously a lot has changed in my opinion of them since then. :pb_lol:

5 hours ago, Lisafer said:

Off topic, but I am glad that FJ is not a support group. If I wanted a support group I would find one. I enjoy the discussion, the back-and-forth, the questions, etc. It's like meeting for virtual coffee (or wine) with friends. :) It seems like FJ has a "reputation" on the internet, but it's really a very respectful place for the most part, at least the threads I read. 

FJ has an interesting history.  You can read all about it in the Good, the Bad and the Ugly section of the archives.  Some of the *reputation* really isn't deserved and comes mainly from a handful of banned (for cause) members.  

There was a time, about 6 years ago, that FJ was dominated by a very cliquey group of posters.  I even left for about a year.  Then we had the great upheaval and  FJ was dumped in @Curious's lap.  Under our not-Fluffy Bunny It has evolved into a much better and more welcoming place but we still have the occasional major kerfuffle.  We may be due for another one.  Where's some wood I can touch?

Also some of us have a very low tolerance for fan-girling and like to keep the focus firmly on the evils of extreme Fundamentalism.  I've been known to bark quite loudly on the Duggar and Bates subforums.  That's why I mostly avoid them.  :angelic-halofell:

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Under our not-Fluffy Bunny It has evolved into a much better and more welcoming place but we still have the occasional major kerfuffle.  We may be due for another one. 

If there is one, I hope it is known as the Showcase Showdown.  The people involved have to spin a Big Wheel (of sins) and... let's rumble!

On 8/31/2018 at 8:05 PM, Palimpsest said:

We may be due for another one.  Where's some wood I can touch?

:angelic-halofell:

I usually use my head 

Archived