IGNORED

VICE article about fundie snark

Rachel333

2 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Oh damn. I have to read this.

And yes our online world is weird, that’s why I stay 

I love all y’all weirdos. :group-hug:

Okay, yeah, we're kinda weird, but we're nowhere near as weird as the fundies we discuss!

At least they didn't refer to us as "fans"; I hate when articles do that. I take issue with the assertion that we "love to hate" them too though. I'd much prefer this type of whackjob didn't exist at all, because even if we have fun discussing them sometimes, they are causing significant amounts of real damage and any entertainment value pales in comparison to that. I'm not some sociopath who doesn't care who is being hurt as long as I get a chuckle out of it.

I know we all differ in opinion at FJ, but I don't really like being lumped together with some of those blogs. Admittedly I haven't looked into them, but they just seem far more... accepting and legitimately obsessed with the Duggars/Bateses ("Spurg & Henry" - what the actual fuck?) I appreciate the forum format of FJ because it's not like we have 1 or 2 obsessed people constantly watching these families - we're a group of curious, mostly critical individuals. Yeah, sometimes FJers can go easier on certain fundies than maybe they should, but there's usually another FJer that pops in and reminds them of fundies' hateful beliefs. We get out information by someone saying "hey, I saw this on so-and-so's public facebook page" and then conversation follows, more people might follow it up with info they saw on other social media/ whatever. That's what I like about FJ, that's why I don't follow any other snark site. 

Apologies if my sentences are not so coherent; it's Wine time.

if you follow the Nauglers, I can't help but think what I just typed is something Sally would see as a typical example of a FJer being all pearl-clutchy and sanctimonious... it's a shame that she seems incapable of understanding this website.

FJ is by far the coolest, smartest, all around bestest community listed in that article. How's that for our pearl-clutching, santimonious selves? :laughing-rollingyellow:

Kidding, kidding. Honestly, I'm surprised the author didn't go more into detail about us or about the families besides the Duggars/Bates. I'm also starting to get annoyed that Joshgate 1 is presented as the front-and-center scandal... there are just so many scandals, and that one's only so useful (and ethical, in my opinion) to dredge up again and again and again.

That was a cool read. I wish it was more in-depth. I agree with @precious blessing that the "hive mind" brings me here more than any place run by just an individual or two. I'm glad Duggar Data got so much space though. They rock.

They did briefly mention the Rodpod, which kills me. First the International Business Times, now Vice!

7 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

FJ is by far the coolest, smartest, all around bestest community listed in that article. How's that for our pearl-clutching, santimonious selves? :laughing-rollingyellow:

Kidding, kidding. Honestly, I'm surprised the author didn't go more into detail about us or about the families besides the Duggars/Bates. I'm also starting to get annoyed that Joshgate 1 is presented as the front-and-center scandal... there are just so many scandals, and that one's only so useful (and ethical, in my opinion) to dredge up again and again and again.

That was a cool read. I wish it was more in-depth. I agree with @precious blessing that the "hive mind" brings me here more than any place run by just an individual or two. I'm glad Duggar Data got so much space though. They rock.

We are way too cool for school. ;)

I think the article's hook was the Duggar and Bates families so it concentrated on the more Duggar-centric blogs.  I'd never heard of the Defrauded podcast or the Duggar, Bates and All Things Fundie site.  I'll have to look into them.

I'm surprised that they didn't mention TWoP.   FJ was started by people banned or bullied off there because they wanted to discuss many more Fundies than the Duggars.  Perhaps VICE got its mind blown by how many Fundies we discuss.

The article spells Rodrigues wrong but links to the blog; also to the Maxwells' Titus2 blog.  I suspect JRod will be deliriously happy to get more hits.  Steve Maxwell might be cringing in fear, unless he sees this as a great way to advertise their damn products. 

7 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

They did briefly mention the Rodpod, which kills me. First the International Business Times, now Vice!

Wait!  What did I miss?  I'm perpetually pages behind on the Rod threads.

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

We are way too cool for school. ;)

I think the article's hook was the Duggar and Bates families so it concentrated on the more Duggar-centric blogs.  I'd never heard of the Defrauded podcast or the Duggar, Bates and All Things Fundie site.  I'll have to look into them.

I'm surprised that they didn't mention TWoP.   FJ was started by people banned or bullied off there because they wanted to discuss many more Fundies than the Duggars.  Perhaps VICE got its mind blown by how many Fundies we discuss.

The article spells Rodrigues wrong but links to the blog; also to the Maxwells' Titus2 blog.  I suspect JRod will be deliriously happy to get more hits.  Steve Maxwell might be cringing in fear, unless he sees this as a great way to advertise their damn products. 

Wait!  What did I miss?  I'm perpetually pages behind on the Rod threads.

When Queen Racoon let everyone in on Jinger’s wedding date, it was covered by the International Business Times. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ibtimes.com/jinger-duggar-wedding-update-secrets-plans-teased-family-friends-blog-2441901%3famp=1

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

When Queen Racoon let everyone in on Jinger’s wedding date, it was covered by the International Business Times. 

And now Queen Raccoon and her brood no longer get invited to any Duggar happenings, LOL.

5 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Perhaps VICE got its mind blown by how many Fundies we discuss.

Yeah, the focus on the Duggars makes sense because for many people they are the most recognizable fundies today. If someone's only watched the Duggar shows, it may not be obvious how widespread many of their beliefs and practices are. I certainly didn't realize how many similar families/movements existed until I started reading more here and other places. 

I'll definitely be looking at some of the sites/media they linked in the article.

This makes me want to write something similar, but focus on the fact that we started on TWOP, and had so many schisms that Fundie Snark just spread. I'm also wondering about the longevity of Fundie Fame without TWOP - I'd have never heard of any of this. Literally the only reason I read 14 kids & counting was because I wanted to know why it was always locked and unlocked and then locked again. I've never even seen a full episode and I feel like I know these people. It's a weird thing I do and think there could be some sort of self-introspective novel there. 

I was also surprised that TWOP didn't get a mention. Never participated there myself but knew that FJ was a spin off.

1 minute ago, hoipolloi said:

I was also surprised that TWOP didn't get a mention. Never participated there myself but knew that FJ was a spin off.

I only read there.  TWoP Howard scared the living daylights out of me.  I found TWoP when I caught the tail end of 14 Children and Pregnant and wondered who the heck these people were.  Someone naughtily posted a link to FJ on TWoP in 2005, I saw it before Howard scrubbed the post, and the rest is history.  I can't remember when I joined FJ.  I lurked, joined, lurked some more,  and finally came out of lurkdom for Emily of <$1000.   :)

I only came here because I saw the Duggars on British TV and was baffled by them. I stayed for the company though, I love how it's totally OK to be a bit weird here and we talk about some interesting stuff. I have mixed feelings about the Poop threads though, I can't look away but I hate that I'm still reading and commenting. 

I wish there'd been a mention of how some of us come to these websites because we're survivors of fundamentalism. It's nice to meet others who have experienced the lifestyle, and I read about the fundies hoping that some of them begin to drift away from the more hurtful beliefs that they espouse. 

"As the Duggars rose to fame, people who wanted to learn more about the family turned to online forums like FreeJinger.org or DuggarsWithoutPity to page through episode recaps, genealogy information, and conspiracy theories. "

Seems like they do mention TWoP? Unless those are two different things. 

Also our deathbed regrets (genealogy interests) got a mention! 

The use of the word "hate" is not accurate.  I don't consider FJ to be a hate site.  Snark, yes.  And some people and/or actions are hated, but I don't consider FJ to be a hate site.

30 minutes ago, neurogirl said:

FreeJinger.org or DuggarsWithoutPity to page through episode recaps, genealogy information, and conspiracy theories. "

No.   DuggarsWithoutPity (DWop) was a later offshoot of GosselinsWithoutPity (GWoP).  

GWoP was a similar group of people banned or bullied from TWoP at around the same time as FJ started up. 

There were about fifteen anti- or pro-Gosselin sites at one point.  Some of them were really scary.   FJ resisted anti-Gosselin mania for a long time on the grounds that the Gosselins were fake-Fundie.   Turns out we were right.

I did read a lot about the Gosselin fiasco but I only interacted with one (non-nutty) site and a Minor Consideration over changing legislation regarding children working in Reality TV.

Two of the founders of TWoP now run Previously TV.  They are not as snotty as TWoP used to be.  But then TWoP used to be a good snark forum before they sold it to  Bravo when snark became seriously limited,   Dammit, I am old.  :D

I have to admit that I was surprised when TWoP permanently locked the Gosselin thread.

I also wish this article had mentioned survivors and specifically websites like Patheos. Generally, I wish that our community came off less as curious voyeurs and more a support group and discussion forum for evil views. The problematic views these families have are barely mentioned.

15 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I only read there.  TWoP Howard scared the living daylights out of me.  

Me too. Howard was insanely scary. I think I may have made a post, but I don't think I did. It was too easy to break a rule and the rules seemed to multiply in the night

15 hours ago, Lisafer said:

I wish there'd been a mention of how some of us come to these websites because we're survivors of fundamentalism. It's nice to meet others who have experienced the lifestyle, and I read about the fundies hoping that some of them begin to drift away from the more hurtful beliefs that they espouse. 

Yes, we are not a support group but we have survivors here and we try to support them.  I don't think whoever wrote that article looked at QoS where we talk about many more families.  They picked up on the Rod and the Maxwell subforums, but I wish they had also mentioned the Pissing Pastor and wandered over to QoS.

51 minutes ago, freethemall said:

I also wish this article had mentioned survivors and specifically websites like Patheos. Generally, I wish that our community came off less as curious voyeurs and more a support group and discussion forum for evil views. The problematic views these families have are barely mentioned.

I thought they did rather well with their descriptions of IBLP and Quiverfull.  I'm also afraid that this bit is very accurate if they focused on the Bates and Duggar subforums.

Though people online are quick to criticize families like the Duggars and the Bates, they also gush about fundie wedding dresses, coo over new babies, crush on certain family members, and rejoice at engagements. It’s a contradictory relationship, to be sure. “It's complicated,” Kate said. “While we might not agree with these people, we are interested and therefore invested in their lives.”

I'm actually bored to tears with the TV families but some people are apparently very invested.   A few posters here seem to think they know the Duggars and Bateses personally, and there is a lot of gushing and cooing.  I'm not sure that I've noticed any crushing but I don't read over there much.

I liked this quote though, except for calling us fandom:

If humor is the most powerful weapon, the fundie fandom is armed, loaded, and not backing down. “I think it’s important to point out the flaws and absurdities about these organizations,” Ella said. “And if that’s through snarking, then so be it.”

It is a pity VICE didn't interview @Curious, but I think that is pretty much what she would have said.

Archived