IGNORED

Frazer Family: Fundies in Quebec

albireo

The Frazer family live in Quebec and participate in FEW conferences. Most recently they caught attention because one of the daughters, Elizabeth, is engaged to Michael Staddon. They also seem to be acquainted with the Neelys and Maxwells. Additionally, in 2013 they had a modest double wedding extravaganza (modestravaganza?).

https://www.frazerfamily.ca/

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 6

I'm trying to read their blog from the beginning. I wish they'd give more info about themselves. I have no idea what their ages are, where they came from, what their denomination is... So far I've discovered that they seem to live near Sherbrooke, I think, and it appears at least some of them speak French...

• Upvote 6

54 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'm trying to read their blog from the beginning. I wish they'd give more info about themselves. I have no idea what their ages are, where they came from, what their denomination is... So far I've discovered that they seem to live near Sherbrooke, I think, and it appears at least some of them speak French...

Look at the younger family pictures to get a better idea of their ages. If a couple were tweens 9 years ago, it’s likely they are young adults now. Imo, the only one left that is under 18 is most likely the youngest daughter with Down Syndrome. The rest are probably between the ages of 18 and 35.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar

The Frazers just posted the engagement story. Sounds like Michael wasn't planning on proposing, so he didn't have a ring ready.

grafik.png.ade5359dee9dc4ed802333193dfb1e9a.png

ETA: The parents got married in 1980, so that gives us a pretty good idea of the oldest kid's age at least.

Edited by JillyO
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 1

We have some missionaries in my part of Quebec. They were shocked to discover over 20% of the local population are Anglophones and of several protestant denominations.

There used to be large pockets of Anglos  in the Eastern Townships of which Sherbrooke is one. Many people are bilingual but I can imagine they will shut down if any-one tries to preach at them.

eta the Arcadians  have no great love for the Anglos following the British expulsion so I can't see there being a lot of positivity going on with the summer circuit peeeps.

Edited by Seahorse Wrangler
add
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 2

10 minutes ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

We have some missionaries in my part of Quebec. They were shocked to discover over 20% of the local population are Anglophones and of several protestant denominations.

There used to be large pockets of Anglos  in the Eastern Townships of which Sherbrooke is one. Many people are bilingual but I can imagine they will shut down if any-one tries to preach at them.

eta the Arcadians  have no great love for the Anglos following the British expulsion so I can't see there being a lot of positivity going on with the summer circuit peeeps.

These particular missionaries seemed to mostly be based on the Magdalen Islands. I've never been there and I'm not familiar with the demographics, but according to their blog they were really struggling with communicating due to their poor French.

I've seen a few weird beliefs about Quebec from Americans, ranging from being totally unaware that there are large communities of Anglophones in the province, all the way over to 'No one in Quebec actually speaks French!' Yeah, that one left me scratching my head for a while.

• Upvote 7

I noticed the two Frazer daughters in law do not wear head coverings, nor do the grandmas. Wonder if Elizabeth will continue wearing a kerchief when she marries Michael Staddon? 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

31 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

These particular missionaries seemed to mostly be based on the Magdalen Islands. I've never been there and I'm not familiar with the demographics, but according to their blog they were really struggling with communicating due to their poor French.

I've seen a few weird beliefs about Quebec from Americans, ranging from being totally unaware that there are large communities of Anglophones in the province, all the way over to 'No one in Quebec actually speaks French!' Yeah, that one left me scratching my head for a while.

Bon Cop Bad Cop II plays with that

Spoiler

Bouchard accidentally drives  bomb filled car onto the US and the local police think he's a terrorist as he isn't speaking English at one point. The police don't think he's Canadian due to that.

Quebecoises get a lot of often self imposed backlash for not speaking English. English is widely taught here. IIRC, and I don't want to get the kids up to ask them, it's around 5 hours a week in ecole primaire ( elementary school K-6)and  15 hours per 18 day cycle in ecole secondaire ( high school grades 7-11). CEGAP..I have no idea since my oldest transferred to the English system but she still has to pass both  French and English leaving exams before moving on to university.

Edited by Seahorse Wrangler
i can speel
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

4 minutes ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

Bon Cop Bad Cop II plays with that

Hide contents

Bouchard accidentally drives  bomb filled car onto the US and the local police think he's a terrorist as he isn't speaking English at one point. The police don't think he's Canadian due to that.

Quebecoises get a lot of often self imposed backlash for not speaking English. English is widely taught here. IIRC, and I don't want to get the kids up to ask them, it's around 5 hours a week in ecole primaire ( elementary school K-6)and  15 hours per 18 day cycle in ecole secondaire ( high school grades 7-11). CEGAP..I have no idea since my oldest transferred to the English system but she still has to pass both  French and English leaving exams before moving on to university.

Ha, I saw the first Bon Cop Bad Cop but missed the sequel. That's funny.

Most Quebecois in metropolitan areas speak English nowadays (and most of the younger anglos speak French). Some of my older anglophone relatives lived in Quebec their entire lives without speaking French, though. I think some of my living relatives in my grandma's generation still don't speak it either - probably enough to just get by, but no more. That's becoming less and less common. 

Are there still strict requirements for getting into the English school system? I know they existed, but I can't recall what they were (never lived in Quebec and went to school in Ontario, so I only know secondhand through my relatives).

24 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This is Sarah who has started courting. She looks SO YOUNG. 

BF5B50F5-4709-4BE7-B9B3-C506059E6F1F.jpeg

Wow, does she ever! Is that a recent picture?

• Upvote 3

That picture is from the Neely blog. They posted about the FEW conference this year in WV. So it is recent. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

YAAAS CANADIAN FUNDIES!  I'm super excited.  We haven't had any good ones since Robert Staddon married Albertan belle Kendalyn Kowalchuk (honourable mentions to her siblings Jevenn and Kerzdenn)

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3

I've been following the Frazers for a while now. Yeah, they're part of the IBLP, FEW crowd now (Staddons, Neelys, Wilkeses mainly) and first seemed to pop up in FEW conferences a couple of years ago.

I mentioned this in the fundie wedding thread, but I actually predicted that a Frazer would get with a Staddon - but I can't prove that cos I never mentioned it on FJ! 

Yeah, I've also had trouble getting a grip on who's who. Amy is the youngest, William I *think* is next youngest and is in his late teens or early 20s, David and Nathanael are the married, oldest sons, and I think there's a Jonathan and Stephen too. Elizabeth and Sarah are, as we know, the newly courting/engaged sisters. There are nine offspring total.

The Frazer offspring wives don't headcover, but I've noticed a difference in how they dress. Samantha's clothes look completely normal modern modest (and she wears makeup), whereas Erica wears frumpers and frumpy shirts and skirts. It'll be interesting to see whether Elizabeth and Sarah carry on headcovering once they're married.

i don't know why, but I find frumper-wearing fundies particularly interesting to follow. It appeals more to my interest in anthropology, somehow.

Edited by Triplet3
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

Sarah looks like she is 15. Who did she start courting?

A new frumpy-headcovering-fundie family. I'm more than happy.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Most Quebecois in metropolitan areas speak English nowadays (and most of the younger anglos speak French). Some of my older anglophone relatives lived in Quebec their entire lives without speaking French, though. I think some of my living relatives in my grandma's generation still don't speak it either - probably enough to just get by, but no more. That's becoming less and less common. 

Are there still strict requirements for getting into the English school system? I know they existed, but I can't recall what they were (never lived in Quebec and went to school in Ontario, so I only know secondhand through my relatives).

Last time I checked was 2011 so my info may well be out of date.

1) You have to have a parent or grand-parents who were educated in the English system.

2) Not an  immigrant or child of immigrants though people on short term visas have the option.

3) if one of your parents is in the armed forces

4) if you are Canadian and started your education outside Quebec

The first one is the only real safe option. The rest are more or less at the discretion of the school or school board. Places in some schools are hard to access than others, much like any good school.

You used to be able to transfer from the English private sector but that loop-hole was closed about 10 years ago.

My French is self-taught and is mainly shopping or school related. Getting French lessons can be hit and miss outside the big cities. Though my local council seems to be investing in informal conversation classes which I ma joining next week.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Triplet3 said:

I've been following the Frazers for a while now. Yeah, they're part of the IBLP, FEW crowd now (Staddons, Neelys, Wilkeses mainly) and first seemed to pop up in FEW conferences a couple of years ago.

I mentioned this in the fundie wedding thread, but I actually predicted that a Frazer would get with a Staddon - but I can't prove that cos I never mentioned it on FJ! 

Yeah, I've also had trouble getting a grip on who's who. Amy is the youngest, William I *think* is next youngest and is in his late teens or early 20s, David and Nathanael are the married, oldest sons, and I think there's a Jonathan and Stephen too. Elizabeth and Sarah are, as we know, the newly courting/engaged sisters. There are nine offspring total.

The Frazer offspring wives don't headcover, but I've noticed a difference in how they dress. Samantha's clothes look completely normal modern modest (and she wears makeup), whereas Erica wears frumpers and frumpy shirts and skirts. It'll be interesting to see whether Elizabeth and Sarah carry on headcovering once they're married.

i don't know why, but I find frumper-wearing fundies particularly interesting to follow. It appeals more to my interest in anthropology, somehow.

I think I saw an Evelyn mentioned. So maybe she’s the only adult daughter left not in a relationship.

• Thank You 2

8 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

PLEASE tell me Sarah is the one in glasses. The other two look like children.

Unfortunately Sarah is the one with a headscarf. You can see the name tag. 

Are the girls in the picture siblings? The one in glasses could be a Sarah too if not... but if so... wow that girl looks young.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

A new frumpy-headcovering-fundie family. I'm more than happy.

In the comments on the blog post, someone called Priscilla says "I’m so excited for Sarah and Jérémie."

Well isn't this exciting for us too.  I hope Elizabeth and Michael post their courtship story soon.  Kendalyn and Kathryn's stories were masterpieces of maidenly reluctance while Elizabeth sounds almost eager.  As for a Staddon getting overcome with love and actually proposing without a detailed step by step plan and a ring - I'm quite verklempt!

How old is Michael Staddon?   I can never keep the Sanctimonious Staddons straight.  There is a tiny hint of things to come in their 2017 yearly round-up though:  https://www.staddonfamily.com/2017/12/30/happy-new-year/

Michael – I continued doing hive inspections part time for the West Vand a rinirginia Department of Agriculture. In August it was an inspiration to hold a FEW in Quebec, witness their steadfast love for the Lord and each other, fellowship with them, and look into some bee hives at a farm there. Another first this year was harvesting and tasting American Pawpaw fruit. I am grateful to the Lord for leading me and turning me to Himself each step of the way; truly He doeth all things well.

Perhaps he looked into more than the bee hives.  And perhaps next year he will comment on harvesting a Canadian young lady bee keeper.  

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

How old is Michael Staddon?   I can never keep the Sanctimonious Staddons straight.  There is a tiny hint of things to come in their 2017 yearly round-up though:  https://www.staddonfamily.com/2017/12/30/happy-new-year/

I think about 37-38. I think Elizabeth must be  5-10 years younger.

So I was trying to figure out why they’ve linked to the Maxwells blog, since they appear to move in different circles - and yeah, seems like they were friends with them 10 years ago, don’t know if they still are though. I think those are Frazers on the right there (and it’s the same town in Quebec where they’re from):

FEDA2E29-B26D-4197-BE82-F2135E2B1881.jpeg.0f2fc005a829e5d6fbd9b53eb952bc97.jpeg

https://blog.titus2.com/2008/10/08/magog-quebec/

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 10

2 hours ago, ophelia said:

His name is Jérémie Rhéaume. Haven't been able to find out much of anything about him or his family. He has commented a few times on the Frazer and Staddon blog, but that's all I've found.

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

Unfortunately Sarah is the one with a headscarf. You can see the name tag. 

Are the girls in the picture siblings? The one in glasses could be a Sarah too if not... but if so... wow that girl looks young.

Nope, Sarah Frazer is the one in the headscarf who looks 13. The woman on the left is a Neely. Judging by the picture someone posted of Sarah in 2011, I'd assume she is about 18 or 19 now:

grafik.png.8c27b155d6684b5c5093497a97b7b554.png

• Thank You 7