IGNORED

Trump 35: Still an Asshole to Everyone but Ivanka

Destiny

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, doesn't surprise me the fucker did this

A newly released audiotape shows President Donald Trump seeming to make light of the deaths of four U.S. soldiers who were killed Oct. 4, 2017, in an ambush in Niger.

The tape was recorded about two weeks later by former White House aide Omarosa Manigault Newman during a meeting the president had with his communications team about the ambush and the movement of terrorists.

Manigault Newman played the tape Monday for MSNBC host Craig Melvin and said the way the president makes light of the situation shows just how “unhinged and inappropriate” he is.

“They were laughing because he’s, like, making light of the situation, he’s saying, ‘Well, I wouldn’t want to be a terrorist,’ she said, “But it’s not a laughing matter. We lost four American soldiers and four of our allies, the Nigerien troops that we were fighting alongside.”

Fuck you, Donald.  And fuck your fucking sycophants, you piece of shit.

Only time you give a fuck about soldiers is when they can be used as backdrops.  Otherwise you laugh about their deaths. 

You know somethings wrong when even Faux News calls you out on a lie.

Sweet Rufus, what a great way to commemorate the most egregious physical terrorist attack on American soil in history.

This is the presiduncial face you pull and gestures you make when solemnly attending a memorial service.

3 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

This is the presiduncial face you pull and gestures you make when solemnly attending a memorial service.

Fuck that guy.  In the name of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Rufus, and our Lord Jesus Christ.  He dishonors and shames the memory of everyone who died on 9/11 through his words and deeds.

10 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

The man next to Melania has a WTF look on his face.

kuva.png.1d6f07ba72ff2326d9a912ca4ce5379f.png

I usually get  a visceral "this man is evil" response from hearing him but this photo is enough even without his voice and all the evil things he says.

Nice tie.

"Trump starts off today’s 9/11 observance with a tweet about the victimhood of … himself"

If I had to pick Donald Trump’s finest moment as a presidential candidate, it would be the one during the sixth GOP debate of the primary season when Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) attacked the frontrunner for his “New York values.”

Trump seized the high ground, not familiar territory for him. He movingly recalled the fall of the World Trade Center towers on Sept. 11, 2001, and the “smell of death” that pervaded the city for months.

“I saw something that no place on Earth could have handled more beautifully, more humanely than New York,” Trump said, effectively demolishing Cruz.

So it was jarring — though not surprising — to wake up to his first tweet on this, the 17th anniversary of that day, and see that it was all about marking the victimhood of … Donald J. Trump:

And it got worse. As he arrived for the the Flight 93 September 11 Memorial Service in Shanksville, Pa., President Trump had the demeanor of someone who had scored a front-row seat at a World Wrestling Entertainment match:

But neither of these goes as far as his tweet about Rudolph W. Giuliani, now the president’s lawyer, in showing how much our president misunderstands what leadership means at a moment of national trauma:

Yes, Giuliani did a great job. But no, the mayor of New York City did not present himself that day as a true warrior, in all caps or otherwise. He was a consoler and unifier, calm and reassuring, preparing us for a shock that would only get deeper as we began to tally the cost. “The number of casualties will be more than any of us can bear, ultimately,” Giuliani said.

“Tomorrow, New York is going to be here,” he guaranteed us. “And we’re going to rebuild, and we’re going to be stronger than we were before … I want the people of New York to be an example to the rest of the country, and the rest of the world, that terrorism can’t stop us.”

And ironically, Giuliani did all this on a day that had been expected to be the beginning of the end of his political career and his relevancy. It was a primary-election day to choose his successor.

There are qualities that pass down, from one leader to another, at moments of trial. As Eric Pooley at Time Magazine wrote in the 2001 issue naming Giuliani Person of the Year:

There is a bright magic at work when one great leader reaches into the past and finds another waiting to guide him. From midmorning on Sept. 11, when Giuliani and fellow New Yorkers were fleeing for their lives, the mayor had been thinking of Churchill. “I was so proud of the people I saw on the street,” he says now. “No chaos, but they were frightened and confused, and it seemed to me that they needed to hear from my heart where I thought we were going. I was trying to think, Where can I go for some comparison to this, some lessons about how to handle it? So I started thinking about Churchill, started thinking that we’re going to have to rebuild the spirit of the city, and what better example than Churchill and the people of London during the Blitz in 1940, who had to keep up their spirit during this sustained bombing? It was a comforting thought.”

Trump has yet to face such a test, though we should assume at one point he will. If he does, let’s hope that he too will have that kind of understanding of leadership on which to draw. And that his first thoughts will once again be of what he saw in his fellow New Yorkers 17 years ago today.

From Joe Scarborough: "Trump is harming the dream of America more than any foreign adversary ever could"

Spoiler

Cataclysmic events often bring with them violent and abrupt endings to settled ages and long-established norms. Those absorbing the impact of these historical aftershocks rarely grasp the epochal changes in real time.

Who could have imagined during their commute home on the night of Nov. 21, 1963, that an event in Dallas the next day would shake the postwar order guaranteed by America’s victory in World War II? Even after Lee Harvey Oswald’s shots rang out from the Texas School Book Depository, could anyone have foreseen the collapse of such an ordered age soon overtaken by the anarchy of Vietnam, the murders of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and Bobby Kennedy, the race riots, Chicago, Kent State, Watergate, postindustrial rot and the cultural chaos set loose across the country by these events?

And could even the most insightful observer have foreseen — while staring at the billowing smoke set against New York’s brilliant September sky — the avalanche of strategic blunders set in motion by Osama bin Laden’s attack on the United States?

Of course not. But two wars, three presidents and 17 years later, the tragic lessons of that time are still lost on our leaders.

On Sept. 10, 2001, the United States dominated the world stage in a way no other country had since the height of the Roman and British empires. NATO’s long twilight struggle against the Soviet Union ended with Russia in ruins. The Japanese economic miracle, predicted by some to turn America into little more than a granary for Japan, had flatlined. And a rising China was still struggling with a multitude of internal security concerns and was eclipsed on the world stage by the Pax Americana. The United States deployed a dazzling display of both soft- and hard-power assets across the globe.

On the eve of bin Laden’s attacks, America’s gross domestic product was nearly 10 times China’s and 40 times Russia’s. The U.S. military machine was unparalleled, with the Pentagon spending more on national defense than the next 15 countries combined. And despite those staggering outlays, Washington was running a $125 billion surplus.

Seventeen years later, endless wars abroad and reckless policies at home have produced annual deficits approaching $1 trillion. President Trump’s Republican Party will create more debt in one year than was generated in the first 200 years of America’s existence. And while the United States has been mired in endless wars and bloody occupations over the past 17 years, China has used that same period to aggressively develop economic partnerships across Asia, Europe, Latin America and Africa. Perhaps that is one reason China will soon overtake the United States as the world’s largest economy.

Any discussion of policy failures since 2001 must begin with George W. Bush’s decision to invade Iraq even though no evidence linked Saddam Hussein’s regime to the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. Even a majority of Senate Democrats voted for a resolution supporting the Iraq invasion, and more than 70 percent of Americans agreed. But we were wrong. That war cost nearly 5,000 American lives, $2 trillion and inestimable damage to America’s credibility across the globe.

The excesses of Bush’s military adventurism led to his successor, President Barack Obama, placing the United States in a defensive crouch for the better part of eight years. The commander in chief defined his foreign policy approach this way: “Don’t do stupid [stuff].” Even Democratic foreign policy experts would quietly complain that their president’s strategic retreat from the world would come at great cost. The ignoring of crossed red lines, the rise of the Islamic State and the deaths of 500,000 Syrians proved Obama’s Democratic critics right.

Sixteen years of strategic missteps have been followed by the maniacal moves of a man who has savaged America’s vital alliances, provided comfort to hostile foreign powers, attacked our intelligence and military communities, and lent a sympathetic ear to neo-Nazis and white supremacists across the globe.

For those of us still believing that Islamic extremists hate America because of the freedoms we guarantee to all people, the gravest threat Trump poses to our national security is the damage done daily to America’s image. As the New York Times’s Roger Cohen wrote the month after Trump’s election, “America is an idea. Strip freedom, human rights, democracy and the rule of law from what the United States represents to the world and America itself is gutted.”

Osama bin Laden was killed by SEAL Team 6 before he accomplished that goal. Other tyrants who tried to do the same were consigned to the ash heap of history. The question for voters this fall is whether their country will move beyond this troubled chapter in history or whether they will continue supporting a politician who has done more damage to the dream of America than any foreign adversary ever could.

"Trump’s long history of lying about 9/11 and exploiting it for personal gain"

Spoiler

On Tuesday, President Trump traveled to Shanksville, Pa., where Flight 93 was brought down on Sept. 11, 2001, by a group of passengers who gave their lives to save others. Given how he has acted at other events that were supposed to be removed from politics, it was a surprise that Trump didn’t take the occasion to offer extended remarks on the magnificence of his 2016 victory or the unfairness of the Russia investigation.

Still, it’s worth looking back at Trump’s history when it comes to Sept. 11. And what we find is that for Trump, it was always about Trump. Even on 9/11.

Even as the smoke was literally still rising from the World Trade Center, he saw a terrorist attack against America as an opportunity for self-aggrandizement and self-promotion. He eventually turned it into a weapon of political hate, but in the immediate aftermath, Trump saw it as an opportunity for brand enhancement and wasted no time.

I can already hear the president’s supporters protest that I’m being terribly unfair. Well, here are some things the president has done with regard to 9/11:

Trump bragged that the destruction of the Twin Towers made his building the tallest in Lower Manhattan.

In a television interview on the day of the attacks, the anchor asked Trump if a building he owned near the World Trade Center had sustained damage. Here’s how he replied:

Forty Wall Street actually was the second-tallest building in downtown Manhattan, and it was, actually, before the World Trade Center, was the tallest. And then when they built the World Trade Center it became known as the second-tallest, and now it’s the tallest.

Trump looked out and saw a scene in which 2,753 people died, and said, Hey, that means my building is the tallest one around! Who thinks like that? Trump, that’s who.

Trump applied for and received $150,000 in state funds intended to help small businesses affected by the attacks, despite the fact that his business was not affected.

The fund was supposed to cover uninsured losses for small businesses, but Trump somehow received $150,000 in taxpayer money; his application cited “rent loss,” “cleanup” and “repair.” Yet none of Trump’s properties were actually damaged in the attack.

Trump later claimed it was a reimbursement for his charitable efforts.  “It was probably a reimbursement for the fact that I allowed people, for many months, to stay in the building (40 Wall Street), use the building and store things in the building,” he said.

But not only does that contradict his application, but the fund was not supposed to reimburse anyone for pitching in. Which, by the way, there’s no evidence Trump actually did.

Trump stretched the truth about personally helping to clean up at the site.

At a rally in 2016, Trump said this:

“Everyone who helped clear the rubble — and I was there, and I watched, and I helped a little bit — but I want to tell you: Those people were amazing,” Trump said. “Clearing the rubble. Trying to find additional lives. You didn’t know what was going to come down on all of us — and they handled it.”

While Trump did visit the site a couple of days after the attack and did some interviews, there is no evidence that he got down to help clear rubble, which people would certainly have remembered. In fairness, this is a minor fib, but it reveals his ongoing attempt to make himself out to be more generous than he actually is.

Trump made other false claims about his personal connection to 9/11.

Here’s something he said at a rally in 2015, describing what he saw from his Trump Tower apartment during the attacks:

I have a window in my apartment that specifically was aimed at the World Trade Center because of the beauty of the whole downtown Manhattan and I watched as people jumped. And I watched the second plane come in. Many people jumped and I witnessed it, I watched that.

Trump Tower is four miles from the site of the World Trade Center. He could not possibly have seen people jump from the buildings during the attacks.

Trump also claimed that he “lost hundreds of friends” at the World Trade Center, but when journalists inquired to his campaign about it, they were unable to produce even a single name of a friend Trump lost.

Trump repeatedly told a vicious, racist lie about Muslim Americans celebrating the attacks — even after it was debunked.

Here’s the story as Trump told it:

Hey, I watched when the World Trade Center came tumbling down. And I watched in Jersey City, New Jersey, where thousands and thousands of people were cheering as that building was coming down. Thousands of people were cheering.

The next day, ABC News’s George Stephanopoulos confronted Trump with the fact that the police and journalists who investigated this rumor say that it never happened. Trump replied that he had watched it on TV, despite the fact that there is no video anywhere of such a thing happening, then said, “There were people that were cheering on the other side of New Jersey, where you have large Arab populations.”

The problem here isn’t just about dishonesty. It’s that Trump was using the pain and anger associated with Sept. 11 to promote hatred at Muslim Americans, and lying in order to do it.

For good measure, when Trump cited an article by then-Post reporter Serge Kovaleski to bolster his claim and Kovaleski said that Trump was mischaracterizing his reporting, Trump mocked Kovaleski’s disability at a rally.

As we know well now, all that was not at all out of character for Trump. Nor was it out of character when he bragged about how the attacks had made his building bigger by comparison, or when he claimed he helped at the attack site when he didn’t, or when he squeezed some money he didn’t deserve out of a 9/11 fund. This is who Trump is. It’s who he’s always been. And it’s who he’s always going to be.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived