IGNORED

Authorities believe they have found the body of Mollie Tibbetts

47of74

I am really behind on this posting and I really don't post often, but because of the awful turn this thread has taken I feel the need to post. 

I live in southern NM where the sun trys to kill us on a daily basis lol, and where half of our population are illegal immigrants. These people are not criminals they are coming to the US for a better life to escape crime. They add to our society and bring culture to us, just because one sicko murdered an innocent women doesn't change fact. And this is coming from someone that grew very fundie and conservative. 

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, farmerannie said:

I am really behind on this posting and I really don't post often, but because of the awful turn this thread has taken I feel the need to post. 

I live in southern NM where the sun trys to kill us on a daily basis lol, and where half of our population are illegal immigrants. These people are not criminals they are coming to the US for a better life to escape crime. They add to our society and bring culture to us, just because one sicko murdered an innocent women doesn't change fact. And this is coming from someone that grew very fundie and conservative. 

This reminds me of something someone once said about Mary Jo Kopechne, that she wasn't some far right conservative, and she stood against everything every last reich winger who used her as a political tool against the Kennedys stood for.  Had she lived she would have been a major thorn in the side to the reich wing.

I really want to live my life honoring Mollie’s memory someday. Maybe get involved in supporting on of her passions. I don’t know. I just want to carry on the good work she wasn’t doing. I think that’s how we can all honor her memory. 

I think we can honor her memory and the memory of thousands of women who were killed in similar circumstances by fighting back against this culture that accepts violence against women. 

I am so fucking tired of how it is accepted that violence can or will happen when a woman says no in any way to a man. From Molly's murder to the fundies who say husband's should or must "discipline" wives who are not submissive enough or can rape a wife who refuses sex, our culture accepts that violence is an expected response to men who are told no by women. Our culture accepts that a woman like Molly has to be afraid to go running by herself or walk to her car alone at night or go to a party or whatever or drive home alone late at night and must take precautions in doing so that most men would never even consider (and indeed don't know that we do---seriously, ask a man if he's ever thought about how he might be able to use his car keys as a weapon. He probably hasn't). 

We need to talk about it. I saw a well meaning meme twice today on Facebook about how we need to talk about Molly's story and not her murderer's. I think at least one of the posters had intentions that the immigration aspect is not the point. But I disagree. We need to talk about how Molly's story ended because of this murderer. We need to talk about the story of his mindset that a woman cannot tell him to leave her alone without him responding with violence. We have to talk about it. It's long past time. 

I grew up and live in northern California, in a big wine producing region.  I'm in my 50's, and all my life, there has been a large Hispanic population in my community.  Vineyards have always relied very heavily on immigrants from Mexico to harvest the grapes, and do the year round work required to grow grapes.  It's back breaking work, often very hot, and without this labor market, the wine industry would not be what it is today.   When I was a kid, it wasn't unusual to hear white people refer to Mexican or Hispanic people as "beaners", "wet backs," or worse.  

But these people came here to work hard to a) send money back home to help their families, and b) provide a better life for their own kids.  Education was and is very important to them.  

What makes me happy is seeing children of immigrants now running for our local city council, being active in local community affairs, and being very much an integral part of our community.  It has taken decades and there is still a long way to go, but they are just as American as I am - they have the same hopes and dreams, they want to work hard to accomplish their goals.  They love their family just like I love mine.  I enjoy hearing the blend of English and Spanish around here.  I have a favorite family run Mexican restaurant that I eat at about twice a month.  As I sit there, I'm surrounded by both languages and I like it.  

When I lived in a small mobile home park while raising my son, two houses over was a family originally from Mexico.  Their son and mine became close friends and they treated him like family.  They were wonderful neighbors, always happy to help if anything came up.  The mother helped out in the elementary school where her children attended and eventually became the head of the PTA.  They were active in their church and good parents to their children. 

I play bingo once a week in a little town next to my bigger city.  There are immigrants from Mexico who have been here for years.  There is a woman who is from Germany who married a soldier and returned to the U.S. with him many years ago.  There is a Japanese woman who was interred in a camp during WWII (but she doesn't talk about it).  There's a woman from Austria - not sure of her immigration story.  I have Irish and Swedish immigrants in my background.  We are all descended somehow from immigrants.

As to Mollie - her tragic death breaks my heart.  Why shouldn't she have been able to go out for a run without risking her life?  The problem is not immigrants (illegal or otherwise), it's the pervasive violence against women that occurs all too often in our society.  It's the attitude that women shouldn't go out alone, ever, because bad things might happen and that they somehow are at fault, simply by existing out in the world "at the wrong time, alone."  It's the fact that if I don't want to accept a date with a guy, I feel like I have to come up with an excuse that won't hurt his feelings.  I'm not supposed to say, "No thanks, I'm not interested."  Too harsh.  It's living in a society where women are pressured into thinking they aren't attractive unless they maintain a size 2, have perfect skin, lashes, hair, perfectly white teeth, fresh minty breath, wear clothes deemed in style, have your hair styled in whatever is the current fad, oh and don't forget to put on those high heels that are sure to ruin your arches later in life!  Once you've done this - now you're ready to go to school and learn, but don't show up the boys in the class by knowing too much.  That's if the teacher actually will call on you or treat your answer with the respect it deserves.  

If men had to live like women for an entire month, they would have nervous breakdowns.

To whomever it was that posted screen shots of the steps required to block a poster, thank you so much.

It worked!

This thread had become the personal cesspool of one very toxic individual.

I don't have the time or interest in trying to figure out what makes anyone so shortsighted and behave so provocatively for its own sake.

Off to see what else FJ is gabbing about, today.

16 hours ago, adidas said:

Neither you nor your children are safe in America and it’s not the ‘illegals’ who make it that way. 

Exactly.A man in Colorado murdered his whole family.Both situations are so so sad.

22 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

The young woman was brutally murdered by an illegal alien. It was in the news for a month.

I am sorry he is here, and he shouldn’t be here based on his illegal status, and he used illegal ID to work.

I find it heartbreaking. If he hadn’t entered illegally she would be alive. 

And wow. You all are everything I know a pack of Libruls to be.

And wow. You are an absolute ignorant bitch. Period. End of story.

I have been chatting on twitter with Mollie's cousin. The family is OUTRAGED by the garbage people like you are spewing. You are hurting her family with narrative, a narrative written to support a sick, nationalistic political agenda that has no place in the 21st century. Mollie's family does not want this. Mollie's family says she would not want this. It's pathetic, really.

3 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

And wow. You are an absolute ignorant bitch. Period. End of story.

I have been chatting on twitter with Mollie's cousin. The family is OUTRAGED by the garbage people like you are spewing. You are hurting her family with narrative, a narrative written to support a sick, nationalistic political agenda that has no place in the 21st century. Mollie's family does not want this. Mollie's family says she would not want this. It's pathetic, really.

People like the troll a number of us had been going back and forth with (who I'm not tagging because I'm not looking to get this all started again now that the thread is nice and quiet), don't care about whether or not Mollie or her family approve of, or would want, them to martyr her like they have. What they wanted was an image, an ideal of the people that could be 'protected' if harsher treatment towards undocumented, illegal immigrants was put into legislation. It helps, immensely, I would bet, that Mollie was a young, beautiful white woman, who represents, physically at least, the type of person they want to put above all else. 

It doesn't matter, to them, that Mollie would have hated it. It doesn't matter, to them, that her family, on top of their tragedy and grief, will have to go through the pain of knowing that their loved one is being held up as an icon for bigotry and hatred. It doesn't matter, to them, that the problem lies not with illegal immigrants but with the toxicity that revolves around men as an entity in this world.

All that matters, to them, is that they can profit from this tragedy, and they'll do everything they can to make sure that they will. It's pathetic, yes, but it's exactly the kind of heartlessly opportunistic behaviour that one both can and should expect from modern Republicanism. 

On 8/22/2018 at 8:47 PM, Alisamer said:

Not one person has said anything remotely like this.

Have you read anything anyone has posted?

Murder = crime

immigrating illegally = crime

They are both crimes. They are SEPARATE crimes. 

She was murdered by a criminal.

That criminal also happened to have committed a separate crime.

He didn't murder her BECAUSE he was an illegal immigrant, any more than Ed Gein killed BECAUSE he was from Wisconsin or Ted Bundy killed BECAUSE he was born in Vermont.

He killed her because he is a murderer. He'd be a murderer if he'd come here legally. He'd be a murderer if he was born here. He'd be a murderer if he was from mars. Because he killed her. So he's a murderer. 

His immigration status is a completely separate issue. 

Yes yes yes. Evil is in a person regardless of their nationality and legal papers. Unfortunately it this person's types of weird thinking, the same type of thinking as the Orange Toddler, that incites fear into the close minded. Trump saying the US is not interested in people from shit holes like South Africa is such a stupid comment, not that most of us want to be there anyway. To assume that we are from Africa means that we prance around in animal skins and kill for fun is ridiculous. 

BTW, tell the Mighty Orange One to keep his tweets about our land situation and racism etc to himself. He has no idea what he is saying. He doesn't want us in his country so stop stirring the potjie. 

18 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

To whomever it was that posted screen shots of the steps required to block a poster, thank you so much.

It worked!

This thread had become the personal cesspool of one very toxic individual.

I don't have the time or interest in trying to figure out what makes anyone so shortsighted and behave so provocatively for its own sake.

Off to see what else FJ is gabbing about, today.

Try the RodPod. I'm there daily and it never disappoints

Of course Steve King (R-Fuckstick) had to chime in.

Renewing his call for tougher enforcement of U.S. immigration laws, Iowa 4th District U.S. Rep. Steve King blamed the violent deaths of Mollie Tibbetts and several other young Americans on "leftists" who "sacrificed thousands, including their own, on the altar of political correctness."

King on Friday retweeted a post by ForAmerica, a nonprofit, conservative group, that listed 12 names of people killed by illegal immigrants, including Tibbetts, a 20-year-old University of Iowa student who disappeared on July 18 while on a run in her hometown of Brooklyn, Iowa. The suspect in her death, Cristhian Bahena Rivera, 24, was identified as an undocumented immigrant.

In his tweet, King insisted all of the victims listed by ForAmerica "would still be alive" if the U.S. had enforced its immigration laws.

"I know the faces of the parents of half the children pictured below," he said. "Leftists sacrificed thousands, including their own, on the altar of Political Correctness."

Fuck you Steve.

Any chance politicians get to further their weird-ass agendas, they take it.

Did he at least offer up "thoughts and prayers" for the family at some point?

I believe this was written by Mollie’s Aunt. It’s beautifully written and factually accurate, but it never should have needed to be said at all because:

1. Mollie shouldn’t have been murdered by an entitled asshole who couldn’t handle being told “no.”

2. People never should have usurped Mollie’s name and image to promote their hateful beliefs. 

I almost feel like male politicians are quick to place blame on the entire undocumented immigrant population in an attempt shift away even more backlash on men, with the #MeToo movement. Men need to accept they’ve had power for too long and need to do better.

Poweful white men would rather blame undocumented immigrants as the problem instead of taking ownership that toxic masculinity is the problem. They’d also rather paint #MeToo supporters & victims as liars or worse, “asking for it” than take ownership that again, toxic masculinity is the problem.

I really cannot stand the pompous, arrogant, jerk that is Ben Shapiro but even he admitted that the right is ridiculous to focus on this as some sort of undocumented immigrant problem when that has nothing to do with her murder. Northwestern University even did a study that shows undocumented immigrants are not correlated with the crime rate.

Harmful stereotyping that attempts to blame a race or religious population as “the problem” is what led to events like the Holocaust so it really needs to be called out and I’m thankful FJ is allowing the discussion on it since it’s very important people are educated that this type of thinking is dangerous.

In Mollie’s memory, I’ve browsed her public Twitter and she was such an amazing woman.

A few highlights of her amazing soul:

Mollie adored her Dad. States apart, they’d look at the same moon together and he’d text her.

Spoiler

D5346F96-3C9E-4EA3-B651-58E1EE8AB1BF.thumb.jpeg.9b814ed2da00a675a3862e3d730c320e.jpegBC723DAE-DD8D-4D44-B1CC-05C1608E5EA6.thumb.jpeg.c02f8373d7709d59c6960bde6921b89c.jpeg

Mollie was a vocal #MeToo supporter and retweeted that NO means NO

Spoiler

41BC2D93-D6E0-4796-9E11-34ED232E31A5.thumb.jpeg.0eec29fe536726e2070b9fec838f3680.jpeg

Mollie was caring, the “go to” if you had a problem you’d want to talk about, and had big dreams to become a psychologist. This is someone who would have made a huge difference in this world. Mollie wanted to help the hurting, fight against injustice, and stand up for women. 

Spoiler

AAEC523F-7539-4E8C-88BD-BDB2ABC96B9F.thumb.jpeg.b39693ce2d2f49e065fef52f133a9c49.jpeg

I implore politicians to get to know who Mollie Tibbetts was, what she stood for and cared about, and make it your job to work with Mollie’s family to come up with a progressive, change mission that Mollie and her family would support! Mollie’s memory and name will not be forgotten and it would be comforting to support a movement in her memory to keep her beautiful spirit living on. Mollie’s family does not want her name associated with Trump Administration’s agenda on immigration and they need to respect this!

I may post more in her memory later. I followed her case from day one and it has touched me because I am very similar in ways to Mollie and so are my peers. It’s important that people honor Mollie’s memory by getting to know who she was and on her behalf, support what she cared about in this world. 

6 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I believe this was written by Mollie’s Aunt. It’s beautifully written and factually accurate, but it never should have needed to be said at all because:

1. Mollie shouldn’t have been murdered by an entitled asshole who couldn’t handle being told “no.”

2. People never should have usurped Mollie’s name and image to promote their hateful beliefs. 

It was Mollie's mother who wrote that. 

And fuck you, Republicans.

Ugh

A group of Iowa conservatives scrambled Saturday to add an attorney general candidate to the November ballot, an effort fueled by the arrest of a Mexican man in the slaying of missing college student Mollie Tibbetts.

Petition organizers were tasked with collecting 1,500 valid signatures of registered voters from at least 10 counties and turning them in the Iowa Secretary of State's Office by 5 p.m. Saturday.

Dozens of people across the state were collecting signatures to get attorney Patrick Anderson, of Des Moines, onto the ballot to challenge incumbent Tom Miller, a Democrat currently running unopposed for his 10th term. Anderson would be listed as a non-party candidate.

George Anderson, an organizer of the effort and Patrick Anderson's son, said the group had gathered a little more than 900 signatures by 1 p.m. Saturday.

If someone came along and stuck one of those petitions in my face he or she would have received an invitation to stick that petition where the sun doesn't shine.  In loud, and in graphic terms.

On 8/22/2018 at 5:55 PM, 2manyKidzzz said:

I am not victim blaming. I am saying I have ALWAYS thought it was ill advised for a female to run/walk alone at night, in a deserted rural area or park, like Rock Creek Park in DC where Chandra Levy died. 

Also, don’t used parking garages alone. Be aware of your surroundings.

Rock Creek is in one of the more heavily populated areas in the whole damn country.  Id2 love to know how this line of thinking works. If you're supposed to not be alone when in a rural area, and not "alone" in a heavily populated area, what do you do? Move to Saudi Arabia and not worry about that pesky alone problem?

Placing blame on women for going out alone  and advising them not to, is only going to contribute more to the toxic masculinity problem.

Republicans love to look at the woman and place the blame.

“She was wearing a short dress.”

”Her make up was too dark.”

”She walked around that night in ‘sluttish’ heels.”

”She went alone to his hotel room. She was asking for it.”

”She’s a bitter mistress making up lies. It had to be consensual. She knew banging him would get her favors and far. She should be grateful.”

“What did she think would happen running ALONE at night? Where’s the common sense?”

”Men are born as very visual people. Women should understand that and dress modestly to not be a stumbling block.”

Usually, they use these scenarios to blame the woman. In this case, they’re blaming immigrants. 

I sent a nasty gram letter to the editor to the local paper today telling off all the self righteous Fornicate sticks using Mollie to advance their own agendas. I was way more polite than I wanted to be but I do want it published. I was full of less than family friendly suggestions what guys like Fornicate Face or Steve King should go do to themselves. Even so there should be plenty of pearl clutching.

On 8/25/2018 at 3:18 PM, luv2laugh said:

I almost feel like male politicians are quick to place blame on the entire undocumented immigrant population in an attempt shift away even more backlash on men, with the #MeToo movement. Men need to accept they’ve had power for too long and need to do better.

Poweful white men would rather blame undocumented immigrants as the problem instead of taking ownership that toxic masculinity is the problem. They’d also rather paint #MeToo supporters & victims as liars or worse, “asking for it” than take ownership that again, toxic masculinity is the problem.

I really cannot stand the pompous, arrogant, jerk that is Ben Shapiro but even he admitted that the right is ridiculous to focus on this as some sort of undocumented immigrant problem when that has nothing to do with her murder. Northwestern University even did a study that shows undocumented immigrants are not correlated with the crime rate.

Harmful stereotyping that attempts to blame a race or religious population as “the problem” is what led to events like the Holocaust so it really needs to be called out and I’m thankful FJ is allowing the discussion on it since it’s very important people are educated that this type of thinking is dangerous.

In Mollie’s memory, I’ve browsed her public Twitter and she was such an amazing woman.

A few highlights of her amazing soul:

Mollie adored her Dad. States apart, they’d look at the same moon together and he’d text her.

Hide contents

D5346F96-3C9E-4EA3-B651-58E1EE8AB1BF.thumb.jpeg.9b814ed2da00a675a3862e3d730c320e.jpegBC723DAE-DD8D-4D44-B1CC-05C1608E5EA6.thumb.jpeg.c02f8373d7709d59c6960bde6921b89c.jpeg

@luv2laugh, this post for Mollie has me sobbing.  I hope you can find a way to honor her memory. 

So very many posts here tonight were inspirational, and spirited in defense of what America used to stand for:  freedom, being a 'melting pot' culture and one of my favorites, being a safe harbor for those who just want to live without fear 24/7.  

Also, strangely enough, I found out that yes, there is a time and place for me to use the "Fuck You" emoji.   

I stumbled upon Mollie's case inadvertently because a FB acquaintance was posting one line updates of it.  When I read about it and came over here to peruse this thread I kept thinking back to Mickey Shunick.  She was a local girl who was abducted and killed while riding her bike on her way home from the local college a few years back.  The criminal?  White as white can be.  Local boy, blended in town with all of us.  I'm certain I'd seen him around, I think I might have met him once.  Mollie's killer could have been first gen American, grew up here from birth...he still would have hurt someone.  If it hadn't been this young lady, it would have been (and probably has been) someone else. 

Like Mollie, Mickey wasn't doing anything wrong or out of line.  She was on a common street that is decently lit and runs through several neighborhoods.  She was wearing a colored top, jeans, and boots--according to the modest ideology, she should have been fine-or at least better off than another.  But he stalked her and noticed her routine and picked his time.  Like Mollie's killer he had been rejected by women from time to time and had a massive complex. He's a sex offender who had charges for not registering, she nearly killed him to keep him from raping her.  Mickey fought hard to keep her life, ultimately he shot her because she was putting up such a fight.    The killer confessed to her murder and one other in our area.  It's believed he's actually responsible for 3 others over the course of several years.  

What happened to these girls and so many like them has nothing to do with their clothes, their raising, or their lifestyle choices.  It isn't feminist to believe a person--male or female--should be able to run, walk, ride, whatever...unsolicited where they are familiar.  It isn't feminist to believe that wearing the appropriate attire to engage in a sport or activity shouldn't be grounds for someone to put their hands on you.  These men are psychos.  Period.  They are not right in the head.  Anyone who is right in the head, aka the average rational thinking male, would have simply..left. them. alone.  

From Mollie's father. I cannot fathom the devastation he must be going through in his life right now. And then to write something uplifting like this is simply awe-inspiring.

From Mollie Tibbetts' father: Don't distort her death to advance racist views

Ten days ago, we learned that Mollie would not be coming home. Shattered, my family set out to celebrate Mollie’s extraordinary life and chose to share our sorrow in private. At the outset, politicians and pundits used Mollie’s death to promote various political agendas. We appealed to them and they graciously stopped. For that, we are grateful.

Sadly, others have ignored our request. They have instead chosen to callously distort and corrupt Mollie’s tragic death to advance a cause she vehemently opposed. I encourage the debate on immigration; there is great merit in its reasonable outcome. But do not appropriate Mollie’s soul in advancing views she believed were profoundly racist. The act grievously extends the crime that stole Mollie from our family and is, to quote Donald Trump Jr., “heartless" and "despicable.”

Make no mistake, Mollie was my daughter and my best friend. At her eulogy, I said Mollie was nobody’s victim. Nor is she a pawn in others’ debate. She may not be able to speak for herself, but I can and will. Please leave us out of your debate. Allow us to grieve in privacy and with dignity. At long last, show some decency. On behalf of my family and Mollie’s memory, I’m imploring you to stop.

Throughout this ordeal I’ve asked myself, “What would Mollie do?” As I write this, I am watching Sen. John McCain lie in state in the Capitol Rotunda and know that evil will succeed only if good people do nothing. Both Mollie and Senator McCain were good people. I know that both would stand up now and do something.

The person who is accused of taking Mollie’s life is no more a reflection of the Hispanic community as white supremacists are of all white people. To suggest otherwise is a lie. Justice in my America is blind. This person will receive a fair trial, as it should be. If convicted, he will face the consequences society has set. Beyond that, he deserves no more attention.   

To the Hispanic community, my family stands with you and offers its heartfelt apology. That you’ve been beset by the circumstances of Mollie’s death is wrong. We treasure the contribution you bring to the American tapestry in all its color and melody. And yes, we love your food.

My stepdaughter, whom Mollie loved so dearly, is Latina. Her sons — Mollie’s cherished nephews and my grandchildren — are Latino. That means I am Hispanic. I am African. I am Asian. I am European. My blood runs from every corner of the Earth because I am American. As an American, I have one tenet: to respect every citizen of the world and actively engage in the ongoing pursuit to form a more perfect union.

Given that, to knowingly foment discord among races is a disgrace to our flag. It incites fear in innocent communities and lends legitimacy to the darkest, most hate-filled corners of the American soul. It is the opposite of leadership. It is the opposite of humanity. It is heartless. It is despicable. It is shameful.

We have the opportunity now to take heed of the lessons that Mollie, John McCain and Aretha Franklin taught — humanity, fairness and courage. For most of the summer, the search for Mollie brought this nation together like no other pursuit. There was a common national will that did transcend opinion, race, gender and geography. Let’s not lose sight of that miracle. Let’s not lose sight of Mollie.

Instead, let’s turn against racism in all its ugly manifestations both subtle and overt. Let’s turn toward each other with all the compassion we gave Mollie. Let’s listen, not shout. Let’s build bridges, not walls. Let’s celebrate our diversity rather than argue over our differences. I can tell you, when you’ve lost your best friend, differences are petty and meaningless.

My family remains eternally grateful to all those who adopted Mollie so completely and showered us with so much care, compassion and generosity. Please accept our desire to remain private as we share our loss. We love Mollie with all our hearts and miss her terribly. We need time. 

7 hours ago, fraurosena said:

From Mollie's father. I cannot fathom the devastation he must be going through in his life right now. And then to write something uplifting like this is simply awe-inspiring.

From Mollie Tibbetts' father: Don't distort her death to advance racist views

Yeah, I saw where Mollie's father had called out various politicians looking to use her to advance their agendas.

And yeah, I'm not holding my breath waiting for the reich wing fornicate sticks to do the right thing and stop using her to advance their own agendas.

My letter mostly got published today.  The paper edited out the best parts though, mainly about what conservatives politicizing Mollie's death could go do to themselves.

The young and remarkable life of Mollie Tibbetts has come to an end. As soon as I heard who the suspected perpetrator was — an undocumented Mexican man — I knew that Mollie’s name would be usurped by various individuals on the political right to further their agenda.

No one disputes the perpetrator should never have another free day as long as he lives, and I hope it’s a long life. But the usurpation of Mollie’s name by media and conservatives such as Steve King, Kim Reynolds, Donald Trump, Joni Ernst, and so on to further their own agenda angers me.

Where was the media when Nia Wilson was murdered in an unprovoked attack? Oh yeah, she was black and her attacker was white. The media could barely be bothered to report on her death.

Archived