IGNORED

Authorities believe they have found the body of Mollie Tibbetts

47of74

Some bad news out of Iowa today

Investigators have recovered a body believed to be that of a 20-year-old Iowa college student who vanished from a small town one month ago, a spokesman for a reward fund said Tuesday.

Greg Willey of Crime Stoppers of Central Iowa said he learned of the discovery from a close family friend of Mollie Tibbetts on Tuesday morning. Willey says he has no other details about the discovery, but called it a "tough" ending to the search for the University of Iowa student.

The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation planned an afternoon news conference to update the public on the case. A spokesman for the agency has not returned a message seeking comment.

Tibbetts vanished on July 18 from her hometown of Brooklyn, Iowa, a town of about 1,400 in central Iowa. Investigators said she was last seen on a routine jog through the streets of the city. It's unclear whether she returned to the home where she was dog-sitting for her boyfriend and her boyfriend's brother, who have said they were both out of town.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More news now about this

Authorities have released more details in the investigation of 20-year-old who was last seen July 17 in Brooklyn, Iowa.

A Poweshiek County man has been charged with murder in the death of Mollie Tibbetts.

During a 4 p.m. press conference authorities announced a body found in rural Poweshiek County is believed to be Mollie Tibbetts.

Christian Rivera, 24, faces a first degree murder charge. Authorities say he led them to Tibbetts' body. They said he was seen chasing Mollie Tibbetts on surveillance video.

And the suspect is being held on a immigration detainer.  I hope fornicate face and right wingers don't decide that's an excuse to reenact kristilnacht. 

Ugh. As one IA political blogger just posted, this is about to become a really ugly election season. Gov. Reynolds has already weighed in saying that Mollie's death is a reminder that we need more draconian immigration policies, or something. I'm sure racist Rep. Steve King is overjoyed. 

I hope her family's wishes, whatever they may be, are respected as the case moves forward. How awful to have your child found dead and transformed into a nationwide right-wing talking point on the same day.

1 hour ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Ugh. As one IA political blogger just posted, this is about to become a really ugly election season. Gov. Reynolds has already weighed in saying that Mollie's death is a reminder that we need more draconian immigration policies, or something. I'm sure racist Rep. Steve King is overjoyed. 

I hope her family's wishes, whatever they may be, are respected as the case moves forward. How awful to have your child found dead and transformed into a nationwide right-wing talking point on the same day.

Yeah, Iowa Republicans never let things like respect for the family's wishes get in the way of demonizing others.  Back in 1994 a young girl was killed here in Iowa.  Branstad and his groupies promptly turned her into a political football and saying that his opponent supported the guy who killed the girl.  As well as trying to get the death penalty reestablished here in Iowa.  Hubble needs to hit back hard if Reynolds tries any of that shit. 

59 minutes ago, Terrie said:

So, if he'd been a citizen, would that prove US citizens are inherently dangerous?

It is just something that should have been a pass. He shouldn’t have been here . Keeping in mind she is completely dead and will not be back.

If he weren’t here, she would be alive. 

18 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

It is just something that should have been a pass. He shouldn’t have been here . Keeping in mind she is completely dead and will not be back.

If he weren’t here, she would be alive. 

Technically true but ininfluent because he was there and it happened. And it wouldn't have happened less if he had all his papers.

BTW Trump's ICE and CBP were too busy persecuting children to catch potential killers. It's nice how he deflects fault when he's been president for more than a year and a half and with a majority in both chambers.

10 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Technically true but ininfluent because he was there and it happened. And it wouldn't have happened less if he had all his papers.

BTW Trump's ICE and CBP were too busy persecuting children to catch potential killers. It's nice how he deflects fault when he's been president for more than a year and a half and with a majority in both chambers.

They are not persecuting children. The laws are the same as always. There is not a Hilton at the border when people cross away from ports of entry. Obama deported a 12 year old from the place in VA where I used to live. I was shocked. 

You are not American. Lot of nerve here.

I know someone who was killed by an illegal. and more.

He should not have been here. Not.

She is gone. 

6 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

They are not persecuting children. The laws are the same as always. There is not a Hilton at the border when people cross away from ports of entry. Obama deported a 12 year old from the place in VA where I used to live. I was shocked. 

I know someone who was killed by an illegal. and more.

He should not have been here. Not.

She is gone. 

Not concerned by your quote but what would you have said if her killer was a citizen ? Also, what's the point of saying "He souldn't have been there" ? I mean, he was there, that's it. You can't rewrite the story. Citizen or not citizen, I don't see why It matters so much to you, the young lady is unfortunatly dead and nothing is going to change that. I'm not judging your reaction though .. I just don't understand it. 

(Before you notice, no, I'm also NOT american but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion on your politics). 

13 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

You are not American. Lot of nerve here

Well I am. And not being an American citizen doesn't mean she can't be outraged about things taking place in our country. 

I always see the term "illegal" or "illegals" instead of actually calling them people. IMO it is a way to dehumanize an entire group of people. 

13 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

They are not persecuting children. The laws are the same as always.

This is simply not true. Before people escaping gang violence or domestic violence could seek asylum here. Under Trump they cannot. Those people are still going to flee and I personally can't blame them for coming in illegally since we turn them away to potential death. Also some ports of entrance will turn away people seeking asylum. In the past they could cross illegally, turn themselves in and be given asylum. Now they are not. Again,I can't blame people running from harm who try to enter legally, are turned away from entering illegally. 

This is a tragic situation, but it doesn't mean all people who come here illegally are killers. It doesn't mean anything about immigrants. If he had come legally he would have still be a monster who killed. 

Let’s be clear.

If you come to a port of entry, you can apply for asylum. If you “break in” at the border, it is whatever is there. No Hilton. Maybe cages, treehouses, whatever. you can apply for asylum at embassies in Mexico. To be processed. If you truly need asylum, that is the way forward. 

No new laws have been enacted. Obama deported millions. Including a 12 year old child from Falls Church, Va, which I thought was bizarre.

They are illegal aliens. As a citizen, I deserve to be safe. 

And my children deserve to be safe. I love my children who are not less important than people who are not citizens.

If he is a sicko who was going to kill, he was going to kill no matter where he was.  A person killed by violence is just as horrific regardless of what country it happens in.  A Mexican life is not worth less than an American life.  Shall I repeat that?

Of course her friends and family are going to lament about all the ways things could have gone differently, but that is in no way a rational basis for a national policy!  

Even on an individual scale that isn't a rational way to think.  Example:  "if only she had broken her ankle the day before, she wouldn't have been out jogging that day."  True, but pointless to say, and in advance of anything bad happening, not at all useful as a strategy.  

So unless you figure out a way to know in advance who is going to do what, it's pointless (and really tactless and even baiting, IMO) to make this an immigration issue.

9 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

And? Your so called president has repeatedly suggested how my country should treat immigrants. I don't see why I should keep my mouth shut.

And yes the laws were there before, but they were interpreted in that wicked way only by the current administration. There was NO reason other than utter wickedness to separate toddlers and infants from parents. And it's not comparable to deporting an older kid, even if that's something I don't find acceptable either.

1 minute ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

And? Your so called president has repeatedly suggested how my country should treat immigrants. I don't see why I should keep my mouth shut.

And yes the laws were there before, but they were interpreted in that wicked way only by the current administration. There was NO reason other than utter wickedness to separate toddlers and infants from parents. And it's not comparable to deporting an older kid, even if that's something I don't find acceptable either.

You don’ have to keep your mouth shut. I would not criticize your nation because I think it is rude. 

There is nothing wicked about enforcing laws that are on the books. As I said, go to a port of entry. There are not facilities and laws currently on the books to accommodate people breaking in to the country. That is life. 

If you think Illegal aliens are more important than citizens of our nation, I think you are wrong. Very wrong. 

6 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

If he is a sicko who was going to kill, he was going to kill no matter where he was.  A person killed by violence is just as horrific regardless of what country it happens in.  A Mexican life is not worth less than an American life.  Shall I repeat that?

Of course her friends and family are going to lament about all the ways things could have gone differently, but that is in no way a rational basis for a national policy!  

Even on an individual scale that isn't a rational way to think.  Example:  "if only she had broken her ankle the day before, she wouldn't have been out jogging that day."  True, but pointless to say, and in advance of anything bad happening, not at all useful as a strategy.  

So unless you figure out a way to know in advance who is going to do what, it's pointless (and really tactless and even baiting, IMO) to make this an immigration issue.

He should not have been here. Not. He is not more important than she was. 

1 hour ago, Terrie said:

So, if he'd been a citizen, would that prove US citizens are inherently dangerous?

Already I am seeing posts on FB from my right wing friends..... yes, the man should not have been here. If he wasn't here or had been deported she would be alive. What is the excuse for all the other young women murdered like this by US citizens? I don't want to see a whole group of people branded as murderers. I have many Mexican friends and I have yet to find one that killed someone. 

@2manyKidzzz I am an American, in fact I'm an Iowan, and I think you need to sit the fuck down. There are hundreds of thousands of Latino people living peacefully in the state, some of them friends of mine. And I know for a fact that some of those folks woke up today feeling less safe because of the climate that's developing around this. If you think you can make the streets safer by snatching people off of them for deportation or by making racists feel justified in looking at their neighbors with suspicion, well, you and I have a very different notion of safety. 

People from every background and social class have been murdering each other since the dawn of time and unfortunately they will keep murdering each other no matter what laws we pass. You can say, "if he hadn't been here..." but I suppose that's true in every case. If she hadn't been walking alone, if only the train had arrived a few minutes earlier, if a friend had decided to stop in at the right moment.... You can't legislate away chance and chaos. And you can't undo one random murder by passing a law whose actual purpose and effect is to tear apart families.

Just now, NachosFlandersStyle said:

@2manyKidzzz I am an American, in fact I'm an Iowan, and I think you need to sit the fuck down. There are hundreds of thousands of Latino people living peacefully in the state, some of them friends of mine. And I know for a fact that some of those folks woke up today feeling less safe because of the climate that's developing around this. If you think you can make the streets safer by snatching people off of them for deportation or by making racists feel justified in looking at their neighbors with suspicion, well, you and I have a very different notion of safety. 

People from every background and social class have been murdering each other since the dawn of time and unfortunately they will keep murdering each other no matter what laws we pass. You can say, "if he hadn't been here..." but I suppose that's true in every case. If she hadn't been walking alone, if only the train had arrived a few minutes earlier, if a friend had decided to stop in at the right moment.... You can't legislate away chance and chaos. And you can't undo one random murder by passing a law whose actual purpose and effect is to tear apart families.

An ex-coworker of mine who is Mexican and lives out west has said that Hispanic people are being advised to say they are Native American. It is getting that scary. 

Just now, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Cursing is a sign of your character.

This man should not have been here. 

People need to enter legally. I for instance, cannot relocate to Europe, live and work, unless I am legal. 

Without law and order there is chaos. 

Glad you have Latino friends. Geez.

Archived