IGNORED

Dillards 64: Now with Multi-Level Marketing!

Georgiana

7 hours ago, theotherelise said:

I think Jill could do okay with an MLM (

Nobody does OK with an MLM pyramid scam. Mostly everybody loses money or nets very small amounts. They prey on those who can least afford it. I detest them.

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mrs.Right said:

Is she sure she’s ok with #femalefounded? I thought they assimilated female power with abortions. 

Duggar beliefs are quire flexible when $$ is involved.  

39 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Why can't JB give her a job cleaning toilets, ala Ben???

Probably because JB knows the downside of not being able to close one's mouth when one is cleaning toilets...

55 minutes ago, PurpleCats said:

@theotherelise Lularoe, not lululemon ;-)

lululemon is the expensive activewear brand worshipped by many an uptown girl, (ugh myself included). 

bahahaha yeah, not the same, my bad!

@SilverBeach - oh I totally agree. I actually ran a tumblr for awhile which broke down the ridiculous claims MLM sellers made in their copy-paste facebook posts. I also left a Panera and ran after an 18 year old single mom in the parking lot one time after spending an hour next to her as some acquaintance tried to get her suckered into a total scam insurance MLM. I told her I'd googled it and I was so worried about what I found I had to tell her. My point was just that Jill does have an unnaturally large audience for direct sales and could probably stay in the black on it, especially if she did one that didn't require inventory. Tastefully Simple products would fit right in with her recipes. 

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Why can't JB give her a job cleaning toilets, ala Ben???

Weren't the Duggars planning to open an RV or trailer park?  If so, I could see Jill working there...maybe doing child care and fundie indoctrination?

I think second+ generation fundies can be more lenient toward working women. They grew up seeing the struggle and reality of what women in their world *really* do, particularly once they set out and do it all themselves. I know a few second generation girls growing up with that attitude — women are more amazing than the men give them credit for, and without women their world would not exist. Of course they have the religious standards holding them in, but the reality is there. Many issues like that bleed over — dress and modesty standards, for example. 

I am not a surprised at all that Jill is supporting/promoting a woman owned business. Considering she was possibly held back from her own potential (nursing), it may be an outlet for her. 

Off topic: My theory with her pursuing a career would be potentially pursuing it once her children are grown. I can see Derek supporting it — he may be seen as controlling, but financial burdens can be quite heavy. I can see Jill having reservations because she wants to be there for her kids, was raised to believe you give them your 100% and all your time. I may be alone in this, but I can see Jill and Derick putting the kids in a Christian school. Derick wasn’t homeschooled, right? He seemed to thoroughly enjoy college. He may want that socialization in (what he would consider) an appropriate setting — like a Christian school (which, if he works in the ministry, it could be discounted or free). 

4 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Weren't the Duggars planning to open an RV or trailer park?  If so, I could see Jill working there...maybe doing child care and fundie indoctrination?

A RV Park would be great.  With a swimming pool, then the Jrod’s would have a place to swim.  With all their clothing on and makeup and hairspray. Maybe also find a Dugger spouse for the kids.  Jill would be SEVERELY happy.

2 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

A RV Park would be great.  With a swimming pool, then the Jrod’s would have a place to swim.  With all their clothing on and makeup and hairspray. Maybe also find a Dugger spouse for the kids.  Jill would be SEVERELY happy.

Yeah, I think the Rods would be there about 2 seconds after it opened...

31 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Yeah, I think the Rods would be there about 2 seconds after it opened...

and Jill would throw a shitfit if Jim Bob charged them an entrance fee.

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Nobody does OK with an MLM pyramid scam. Mostly everybody loses money or nets very small amounts. They prey on those who can least afford it. I detest them.

I hate MLM’s, buuuut I do know a few women who came in at the right time who do well. For now. I worry about their future, but they seem to think this a legitimate long time career option, sadly. The worst part is since they came in early and make good money off of it, upwards of 50K a year, they push it on others saying it’ll “help moms” knowing full well it won’t. My least favorite at the moment is advocare and their spark, which supposedly has vitamins in it, but is really just loaded with caffeine. I’ve even had one person give me a sample saying “it make you do ALL the things” aka hypes you up like a super powerful Redbull. I tried it and even with all of the caffeine in it, I got zero energy from it. Coffee, with less than half of the caffeine works better. 

21 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Derick is a spineless, pale, pathetic twat and he hasn't got a clue

You are amazing and I appreciate you so much 

13 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

re a couple of people in the last thread expressing surprise that she is drawing attention to female-founded businesses: I think she and people like her are fine with it if they can feel *sorry* for the women running them. Like with the women in SCA selling jewellery, the Dillards are being benevolent in drawing attention to them, because they haven't *chosen* to do the work, they *have* to. So helping them out is a kind of charity. 

The other kind of work that's OK is MLMs and homemade crafts that wifeys can do at home just to contribute a bit to the household. It's not threatening to hubby, it's showing her commitment to their home. Women running their own businesses outside the home is also fine if it's a vocation or a Vision - some godly burden they are taking up to make the world better even though they don't have to. Even if it's shilling spiralizers because so many mamas don't realise that nourishing their body is nourishing their spirit and helping them serve as best they can.

If they can gloss all work to be one of those three categories, it's fine.

I guess Jill could work, maybe even beyond bringing in money with FFF type things. Because her husband isn’t working. So her working wouldn’t be a choice either, she would have to. And she can supplement Derdick’s non-existent income

13 minutes ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

I hate MLM’s, buuuut I do know a few women who came in at the right time who do well. For now. I worry about their future, but they seem to think this a legitimate long time career option, sadly. The worst part is since they came in early and make good money off of it, upwards of 50K a year, they push it on others saying it’ll “help moms” knowing full well it won’t. My least favorite at the moment is advocare and their spark, which supposedly has vitamins in it, but is really just loaded with caffeine. I’ve even had one person give me a sample saying “it make you do ALL the things” aka hypes you up like a super powerful Redbull. I tried it and even with all of the caffeine in it, I got zero energy from it. Coffee, with less than half of the caffeine works better. 

I think the worst part is that the people who are doing well are getting that money off the backs of their downlines, most of whom will never turn a profit and would probably do better just flushing their cash down the toilet. MLMs are not about the product. MLMs are about the downline; the product is mostly an attempt to avoid being shut down by the Feds as a pyramid scheme.

I'm with @SilverBeach above. I loathe MLMs. (I know you're not in favor of them either; I just get a little hot under the collar whenever MLMs get mentioned, lol!)

54 minutes ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

I hate MLM’s, buuuut I do know a few women who came in at the right time who do well. For now. I worry about their future, but they seem to think this a legitimate long time career option, sadly. The worst part is since they came in early and make good money off of it, upwards of 50K a year, they push it on others saying it’ll “help moms” knowing full well it won’t. 

I went to high school with the woman who basically brought BeachBody to the Northern Virginia area. She "retired" her husband (who needs health insurance, life insurance, or a 401k? We've got Shakeo!) and they are doing well (because of her getting in early and getting into an untapped, wealthy market). She has sucked in SO MANY of my former classmates who are in no position to be doing this (and know nothing about fitness or nutrition) and it's terrifying how many otherwise intelligent people fall for this. 

To make things worse, she is now into the "woo" (as she herself calls it) and is a Certified Crystal Healer. So let's add the propagation of dangerous, quack medicine to the poor financial decisions she advocates for her thousands of Facebook followers. 

I'm also fascinated to see how this goes in the next few years when the bottom falls out. 

1 hour ago, Illmarryyoujana said:

I hate MLM’s, buuuut I do know a few women who came in at the right time who do well.

I wish I could remember the name of the MLM that sucked my co worker away from a really nice job in 1987.  We were all styling, money wise, but she quit and said she was making 10x at this whatever biz.

is this the same thing as Melaluca vitamins here in Canada.? because the lady who introduced my mother to it for like a decade never worked, husband never worked, they went on trips endlessly and all because she had clients like my mother who bought endless vitamins (which by the way are filler) 

44 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

I hate MLM’s, buuuut I do know a few women who came in at the right time who do well.

That's the thing, you get in at the top, preferably as a creator of the scam, and there's money to be had. Those at the bottom? Not so much. Besides, gross income means nothing. Remember MLM reps are independent contractors who must pay their own taxes and all other expenses including purchasing inventory. I would believe no claims of high net incomes unless I saw tax returns. MLMs teach you to always appear prosperous, fake it till you make it to get other suckers to join. Total bullshit. Read the annual reports if you can get them.

6 hours ago, ladyaudley said:

oh, that FFF post was cringe. Sure, the lighting is decent for once and she looks nice, but it was just such a Sponsored Post 101 - nothing spontaneous or believable about it. Girlfriend is *terrible* at social media, just outright terrible. She's not alone in this - many a secular person whom I've unfollowed once their posts became 80% badly written adverts. The fact that with 1.6m followers she doesn't have more companies knocking on her door just shows how terrible she is at this. Whitney and Alyssa on the other hand are naturals, as is Jessa. Poor Jillybean - just another thing she ought to be good at (charming people) that she isn't. 

THIS! THIS! THIS!

I sometimes wonder if we are too hard on the Dillards for everything they do because they are such terrible people. BUT: They really are horrible at almost everything they do. Jill is soo unnatural and stilted in that Instagram story. It's all "this cream is amazing" and "this teapot is amazing" and "that serum is amazing." Um, cool. You totally sold me, Jill.

1 hour ago, Lisafer said:

I think the worst part is that the people who are doing well are getting that money off the backs of their downlines, most of whom will never turn a profit and would probably do better just flushing their cash down the toilet. MLMs are not about the product. MLMs are about the downline; the product is mostly an attempt to avoid being shut down by the Feds as a pyramid scheme.

I'm with @SilverBeach above. I loathe MLMs. (I know you're not in favor of them either; I just get a little hot under the collar whenever MLMs get mentioned, lol!)

I've also seen so many MLMs that encourage or condone/don't discourage extremely predatory practices and crass marketing tactics. I've seen a lot of posts screenshotted by AntiMLM on Reddit by people in Thrive trying to capitalize on Shanann Watts' murder because she was involved in it. Apparently Younique did a "challenge"/marketing tactic where women were using the makeup to make themselves look like domestic violence victims to "raise awareness". Plus the essential oil MLMs that don't do more than a cursory Gene Wilder Willy Wonka "no stop don't go" in response to their sellers claiming that their oils can cure autism and that because oils are "natural" people can't be allergic to them or have asthma attacks triggered by them. 

MLMs are the worst and I will never, ever support them. 

1 minute ago, nastyhobbitses said:

MLMs are the worst and I will never, ever support them.  

ITA. I've known people who just should have got a job instead of believing the bullshit they were sold about getting rich from hawking products that they end up selling on ebay for pennies on the dollar.

2 hours ago, Lisafer said:

MLMs are not about the product.

One newer scam, Nerium, gives that shit away! They only want you to recruit fresh meat to pay $499 and up to join, it doesn't matter if anybody sells a bottle of the crappy-ass face cream.

49 minutes ago, nst said:

is this the same thing as Melaluca vitamins here in Canada.? because the lady who introduced my mother to it for like a decade never worked, husband never worked, they went on trips endlessly and all because she had clients like my mother who bought endless vitamins (which by the way are filler) 

I totally read vacuums, not vitamins, and couldn't figure out why your mother bought so many vacuum cleaners. 

3 hours ago, theotherelise said:

I also left a Panera and ran after an 18 year old single mom in the parking lot one time after spending an hour next to her as some acquaintance tried to get her suckered into a total scam insurance MLM. I told her I'd googled it and I was so worried about what I found I had to tell her.

If you are referring to Primerica, it is not a scam. Mr. SB has been a Primerica representative for 13 years. He has passed both the Series 6 and Series 63 examinations required for licensing to sell insurance and securities, as have all Primerica representatives, which is required by law. He is registered with FINRA which is also required. The financial industry is highly regulated by the states and Federal government and Primerica is no exception. You can't stockpile financial products in your closet and sell them on eBay when you need to dump them, LOL. Nor can unlicensed untrained people sell anything. Clients have insurance protection and investments like the clients of any other financial services firm. 

I don't know how Primerica as a scam got started but that is complete bullshit and it irritates me to no end. Competitors don't like Primerica because of it's market dominance, but it has a high stock price and major companies are steadily buying in. The antiMLM reddit has a lot of misinformation about Primerica. Fair is fair, and Primerica is unfairly lumped in with the likes of Nerium, Advocare, Amway, Plexus, etc. when it is qualitatively an entirely different type of business.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived