IGNORED

FJ fundie families sending their children to school

JermajestyDuggar

22 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Does she realize their involvement in a cult? I wonder how open they are about their true beliefs for people who are casual acquaintances.

Yes. She agrees with a lot of what they believe. I'm not crazy close with her, but she was really there for me when I was going through a major depressive state when we moved. Plus her girls think I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread so I like to keep in touch so they know they have someone to turn to.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Briefly said:

8 months.  We still tease her that she started talking young and still hasn't stopped to take a breath!  When I was pregnant, I would talk to her and read to her.  When she was born, I read to her daily and I enjoyed it as much as she did.  I don't know that it had any affect on her reading and speaking, I think that's just how she is.  But there was a downside, when her reading ability was so far ahead of her actual age and it was kind of hard to find things that were not too grown-up for her to read.

Someone mentioned private school tuition.  I don't remember what we paid, it was a struggle at times but we managed it.  The school she was at was a good school but it was not the most expensive one.  There were a few that were cheaper cost, but it was the reading program at the school that was the main reason we picked it.  It went to 8th grade, but we had planned to go through elementary and then switch her to public school so she could build a friend/peer group with the kids she would probably graduate with.

Same here. By the time I was 1, I talked in sentences. My mom wrote down every new word in a notebook, since I started talking so early, my vocabulary was about 300 word at 12 months. Quite strange stuff. My mother would dictate referral letters at home (hospital didn't pay for the overhours) Always had a knack for lanuages, I was bored out of my mind at school.

Didn't learn how to read until elementary school but I was quite the bookworm. Around age 9 I moved on to adult books because I finished the kids section in our library. I switched from to a christian boarding school by my own atheist choice because it had the best science programme in the country (including evolution and sex ed) and offered college-credit courses.

On 8/17/2018 at 5:23 AM, Rik_Bik said:

I think there might be a trend towards private Christian schools just from observing members of my own family. My three fundie cousins where ADAMANT that they would homeschool their children (one of them having been homeschooled themselves) and all of their children are now enrolled in the same private, conservative Christian school. It does at least provide a decent education, if biased, and is well established in our city.

Of course this is just my family, but none of their fundie friends homeschool either. I imagine the fundiest fundies will still homeschool regardless. 

"Fundiest fundy" should be a post count. :laughing-rollingyellow:

The Seewalds are doing homeschool co-op and Abbie from M is for Mama is also doing homeschool co-op it seems.

Are we thinking the ordinary homeschooling by the SAHM going away and the trend is now to do co-ops?

18 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The Seewalds are doing homeschool co-op and Abbie from M is for Mama is also doing homeschool co-op it seems.

Are we thinking the ordinary homeschooling by the SAHM going away and the trend is now to do co-ops?

I know of quite a few homeschoolers who do co-ops. Next thing you know they'll rent a building and install the co-op classes in separate rooms. OMG, they're inventing private schools!

On 8/18/2018 at 10:30 AM, Melissa1977 said:

It was discussed in Rodrigues subforum. CPS has low funds in their state, plus is a state where lots of kids are living worse than Rodrigues', because the rates of drug addict parents is really high. I think fundie parents are more comfortable in states with a weak CPS protection, while in other places they would be in the CPS radar.

JRod: her kids have it slightly less bad than the children of addicts. SLIGHTLY.

That may be the nicest thing I'll ever say about her.

It might have to do with growing needs of the children as well. Adeye Salem sent all of her special needs children to public school, except Hasya who is aged out.   It's easy (relatively) to raise 4 small children with down syndrome.  It only gets harder as they age.   
Susanna at The Blessing of Verity had her three special needs kids in public school as well, though she pulled Verity back out to homeschool.  (Yes, I hate myself that I know this).  But she was very clear that public school was only an option for her handicapped kids, because her 'special girls' would not be able to understand that a lot of what was being said and ran contrary to what they were being taught at home.     

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Senior Seewalds or Jessa?

10 hours ago, VVV said:

I know of quite a few homeschoolers who do co-ops. Next thing you know they'll rent a building and install the co-op classes in separate rooms. OMG, they're inventing private schools!

I get the joke, but co-ops generally provide more individuality options and a shorter schedule than most schools, private or public.

One of several reasons we homeschooled was to give our kids more free time and more private time than they would get with a typical school schedule. I know it can superficially look ironic when homeschoolers go co-op, but there’s still a big difference between that and joining a full-time school.

If co-ops are becoming more of a trend, that’s great for the more isolated kids!

On 8/16/2018 at 11:04 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Another fundie family has decided to send their children to school. First it was the Shupes, then it was the Jeubs, now it’s the Smiths. In all these instances, the younger children are sent to public school while the older ones didn’t get the chance. 

Do you think this will become more common in the future amongst fundies we talk about on FJ? Are there any families you can see doing this in the future? Do you think this breeds resentment amongst the older children that weren’t given the same opportunities? 

I'm not fundy at all (was raised fundy, though). My kids were homeschooled until junior high -- except my youngest who went to public school in 5th grade due to some health issues I was dealing with at the time. There's no resentment whatsoever. In fact, my kids will occasionally ask if they can be homeschooled again (usually in the morning when they aren't in the mood to leave the house). But the older ones don't resent the youngest one. They understand why we made the choices we did.

But -- that's because my kids loved being homeschooled. If they'd hated it, felt isolated or felt like public school was a treat (rather than an educational opportunity), they might well resent their younger brother. 

Some older FJ members may remember her: Emily Case Brower sends her oldest daughter to kindergarten. I'm kind of surprised about that. I have a soft spot for Emily. Last year her husband cheated on her while pregnant, they broke up and her dad died after battling cancer. It seems like she is living with her mother nowadays and maybe she isn't homeschooling due to the fact that she has to work outside the house to make a living for herself and her three girls. 

I did co op the last year I was home schooled. It was one day a week and I loved it. I wanted to go out for school since I knew what school was, maybe three or four. I hated being home schooled. I’m pretty shy but loved the interaction with other people. I think it’s a great think for home schooling families. 

On 8/20/2018 at 2:27 PM, VVV said:

We were involved in a co-op for many years. We met for 2 ten week terms and taught mostly special interest stuff, whatever a parent wanted to teach, basically. We had a general schedule to fill, X number of classes in a category for each grade level (art, history, music, science, math, PE, etc) but what those classes looked like from term to term could be anything. We did do the basics in highschool, biology, chemistry and physics, as well as literature and history, Art was for credit. But still, one day a week for 20 wks taught by moms isn't exactly private school. There are homeschool resource centers that are practically private school, and in my area it's quite possible to "homeschool" and never teach a thing at home, which is actually how I finished up my highschool students. They had classes that met once a week that covered all their subjects and they worked on assignments at home. I've had 4 kids go to college and all have done well, so it worked for us. I decided to put the 5th one in school partly because the idea of having her get everything she needed from one place instead of running somewhere different everyday was appealing. 

I’m not sure Emily doesn’t homeschool. Nothing about that post mentioned school or homeschool. 

Her girls are adorable. Her ex is remarrying which must be tough for her. He seems so happy now and is marrying a single mum who has 2 girls (I follow his girlfriend on Instagram)

7 minutes ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

I’m not sure Emily doesn’t homeschool. Nothing about that post mentioned school or homeschool. 

Her girls are adorable. Her ex is remarrying which must be tough for her. He seems so happy now and is marrying a single mum who has 2 girls (I follow his girlfriend on Instagram)

And how often does he see his daughters? 

He seems like a good involved Dad. And very much in love and atttacted to his fiancée. 

They definitely haven’t had a no touch courtship. Quite the opposite from the bed photos they’ve posted ;)

49 minutes ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

Fairly often. 

That’s good. I was afraid he might have left his first three daughters without a dad and then decided to be a dad to his stepdaughters. I’ve seen it happen and it’s awful. But at least he’s involved with all the children. 

6 hours ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

I saw a post on her IG story that made me think she sends Georgia to public school. But I might be wrong.

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And how often does he see his daughters? 

I think I read somewhere on fb that he enlisted and will be deployed in Iraq again so he might not see his daughters for a while.

His new fiancé seems to be a nurse in training so I don't think she will homeschool and instead work to make ends meet.

I'd really like to know how Emily and her mother make a living. Does one of them have a job?

This picture of her first day of school makes me think she homeschools. This looks like a dining room table. She made a beautiful new dress for her first day of school but that doesn’t mean she went to public school. 

2CD3C655-0DE0-4FA6-8A55-71B90B951CBC.jpeg

I’m not sure how I’d feel if I  was him that his ex is homeschooling and hence won’t be working (I assume?) for 18 years. That’s 2 families he may be responsible financially 100% for. 

5 hours ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

I’m not sure how I’d feel if I  was him that his ex is homeschooling and hence won’t be working (I assume?) for 18 years. That’s 2 families he may be responsible financially 100% for. 

Meh. It was his choice to have 3 kids with Emily, it was his choice to leave Emily, and it was his choice to get together with a woman with kids. 

I don’t feel bad for him.

And anyway, I think it’s completely possible Emily is working in some way. Just because she homeschools doesn't mean she isn’t bringing in an income.

Crystal and Jesse Paine, they of the Biblical Womanhood and now Moneysaving Mom, stopped homeschooling a few years ago. Their 3 kids go to Christian private schools. The youngest child didn't learn to read until he was 8 or 9, and the oldest one struggled to make friends, so they stopped homeschooling them. It's still a long way from public schools but it seems to be a lot better for the kids. One of the kids was wearing a Patrick Henry sweatshirt in a photograph. (gag! not the child but the school). 

Archived