IGNORED

Counting On season 5/6/7: Part 2 - Who cares, even TLC stopped counting

Buzzard

If someone "surprised" me with a piano that I'd not test-played, I'd be both pleased and pissed. Pianos are all very very different. There can be two "identical" pianos, side-by-side, yet they'll "play" differently, have different tone, etc.

To this day, I remember the piano that I didn't buy - it was a Baldwin studio upright. Those have larger soundboards, similar in size to the smallest grand pianos. The action was lively and light, and the tone of it was so bright that it made me tear up to hear how amazingly awesome my favorite Beethoven Sonata (Pathetique) and 2-Part Invention (Bach - Number 8 in F) sounded. 

Sadly, at the time, I already had a piano and that would have been wayyy too frivolous to purchase. Now I don't have a piano at all, and I'm missing it. :( 

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If someone gifted me a nice piano or really any other luxury(or not) item  because they wanted to give a special gift and they loved me I would be very touched and grateful. I would not start find reasons to start picking and being unhappy about it :) 

22 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

If someone "surprised" me with a piano that I'd not test-played, I'd be both pleased and pissed. Pianos are all very very different. There can be two "identical" pianos, side-by-side, yet they'll "play" differently, have different tone, etc.

Who says she did not test-played the piano when they went to the store last episode? Maybe this is one of the piano's she liked there. Jinger seemed really happy with it.

Maybe she did. I'm just saying, as a musician, an untested/unplayed piano wouldn't be the best option. 

Yes. But she is not a professional musician so that’s not relevant to her:) she is just a pretty good piano player being surprised by her family with a gift for her to enjoy. 

Come on, there was no surprise. Jinger knew that she was getting a piano. If he really did give her a piano for their anniversary, she had that piano a month and they just moved it out, and brought it back in. 

1 hour ago, tabitha2 said:

Yes. But she is not a professional musician so that’s not relevant to her:) she is just a pretty good piano player being surprised by her family with a gift for her to enjoy. 

You don't have to be a professional to hear and feel the difference. Having an instrument that feels just right significantly increases the enjoyment you get out of playing it.

Jessa and Ben were wearing the same outfits in their congratulations videos for Gideon and the Siren engagement which were released in February. That engagement took place a good week before the announcement.

After years of Hand me down basic violins and playing on the Duggar family piano which was probably rarely if ever in tune( can’t see JB paying money to upkeep it can you?) she  dosen’t know anything about an instrument feeling right or not I guess. 

I'm not sure if it's the piano Jeremy "surprised" her with, but Jinger chose a black, upright Yamaha in episode 2.    She made a point of saying she loved it because it had such a perfect sound.  There's no way Jeremy surprised her with a random piano.  It's a big investment whether you play for fun or professionally. 

Luckily for them, the shop owner just happened to have the exact one she wanted for half price* as it was remanufactured.

[*Buy used, save the difference, y'all.  We're a godly couple with limited finances; not fundy royalty appearing on our own reality TV show. God will provide if we offer free advertising to the sinful Catholics in our mission field.]

I predict she bought Jeremy a yard of books in burgundy faux leather to offset his favourite pink shirt. :romance-heartspink:

The timelines are so convoluted, no one can keep them straight.  I wouldn't have been surprised if Jinger had taken a break during the surprise/piano scene to feed Felicity. :teasing-binkybaby:

I feel like the realist thing we've seen from them (maybe ever) was Jinger's reaction to her mom....she really had a good cry there and was balling in her mom's arms...it seemed genuine and also seemed like the best evidence I've ever seen of one of the kids actually showing an emotional connection to Michelle. And then they talked about her pregnancy and discussed her plans of where to go to have it and M seemed supportive and said she'd be there. It actually seemed nice and sweet and healthy and IMPORTANT. But fuck that...here comes Boob with his tuna and bad jokes.

I would rather watch a whole episode of a group of the Duggar women/wives discussing their pregnancies and stuff for real than all this staged baffoonery and silly talking heads. 

16 hours ago, nst said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Austin is really not that nice?  it seems 

I think he seems cold, too, but that could be that he's not used to all the cameras?  I'm not sure.

11 minutes ago, CaricatureQualities said:

I feel like the realist thing we've seen from them (maybe ever) was Jinger's reaction to her mom....she really had a good cry there and was balling in her mom's arms...it seemed genuine and also seemed like the best evidence I've ever seen of one of the kids actually showing an emotional connection to Michelle. And then they talked about her pregnancy and discussed her plans of where to go to have it and M seemed supportive and said she'd be there. It actually seemed nice and sweet and healthy and IMPORTANT. But fuck that...here comes Boob with his tuna and bad jokes. 

Not gonna lie...my hardened cold heart softened watching Jinger's reaction and I teared up a bit.

4 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

If someone gifted me a nice piano or really any other luxury(or not) item  because they wanted to give a special gift and they loved me I would be very touched and grateful. I would not start find reasons to start picking and being unhappy about it :) 

I agree with @SapphireSlytherin. As a very non-professional musician that buying someone a big-ticket instrument without them playing it first is a weird choice that I would not recommend. 

Aside from that, I personally think some level of skepticism toward unexpected luxury or otherwise surprising gifts is healthy. My understanding is that can be a big red flag that someone is having serious mental issues if they start distributing large sums of money to surprising places.

As @Carm_88 and others have mentioned, of course all of this is moot because it was likely scripted for the show.

10 hours ago, SayWhat said:

SNIP

Did not see Jill or Smugs at the gender reveal.  Jill must be going through Counting on withdraw, hence all her photo bombing her pictures of food on Social Media.  She wants to keep relevant  with the Counting On fans.  It is like Smugs has fallen off the face of the earth. I am OK never hearing or seeing him again.  I did think Anna would make appearances from time to time but she seems to have disappeared as well.  I wonder how all this is going to explained to the M'kids as they grow up ? 

On the bolded:   They just say that their parents had prayed about it and they were lead away because Rufus said it would be best. 

Random thoughts on this episode:

Gender reveal parties seem pretty dumb, but that one was actually pretty fun after all with the gunpowder explosion! Jessa looked like Angelina Jolie in the fur-trimmed hood.

Joy also looked terribly barefoot and pregnant in her denim skirt, but I thought it was pretty normal that she was hassling Austin about how to put the crib together. I actually like Austin. They are a good match.

Why bring the Howlers down to visit Jinger? She would have much rather had Jessa and Jana, or even that dumb Jill. 

Touching that Lauren’s father asked Josiah about her love language. 

Don't forget, while she probably does miss her mom, crying at the dumbest things when you are pregnant is par for the course.

9 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Are we really supposed to believe that TLC follows this couple around going to the piano store "just to look" and Jinger is clueless that a piano is going to show up in her house?  She may be homeskooled, but this story arc is pretty obvious.  Do we also think that a husband is going to give his wife this AMAZING surprise gift, that he knows will make her SOOO happy ON their first anniversary, and have her brothers (and parents) eavesdropping in on what may transpire?  And she says NOTHING even slightly PG?  NOPE.  I do think that Michelle showing up was a surprise, but she likely knew that the brothers were in town (who she didnt seem to care much about).  I'm sure some FJ sleuth can figure out what the J'middles were there for, because the Duggar men dont roam in packs unless theyre up to something.

I could feel that vibe as well. I felt like I was eavesdropping on a private moment between a married couple, but then I realized that the TLC camera man was there. Giving her a piano was so romantic and a loving gesture...and at the time, they were a young couple with no children... too bad it was filmed and her family was in the house, because, if it was me...:tw_love::bigheart:

11 hours ago, miss_batson said:

So next episode is proposal which happened around March 1st, but Joy stil didnt have her baby? and we all know when the baby was born.. Why TLC is doing these? :crazy:

Because the Duggar fundie life style is as boring as watching paint dry day-to-day.  They can't show that.

Wow, this was the most transparently scripted episode of The Hills yet! 

Oh Josiah...you poor thing... I don’t think you are supposed to act like you’re being led off to prison when talking about your intent to propose. 

I also agree that you need to try an instrument before purchasing it. Everyone is different, every instrument is different. I play the harp (not as much as I used to...) and I spent a good long while deliberating on which one to buy. I hope that Jinger played a few and picked several she really liked, and Jeremy bought one of those. Or she just knew which one she was getting. TLC is known to lie, after all.

On 8/20/2018 at 11:56 PM, Sky with diamonds said:
Thanks [mention=11503]Buzzard[/mention], loving the recaps.
I hate to ask again, but if anyone comes across a video of tonight's episode, could you please post it. I don't know when I will get cable installed. 

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived