IGNORED

Counting On season 5/6/7: Part 2 - Who cares, even TLC stopped counting

Buzzard

5 hours ago, seashell1025 said:

^ Correct. Pretty sure they were in a hotel room. it was rather odd if i recall as well. 

they were at the mcmansion for some strange reason when Anna revealed to the pig 

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, nst said:

they were at the mcmansion for some strange reason when Anna revealed to the pig 

yeah, i really dont remember why they were there.. but then again their storylines always bored the crap out of me. they never gave tlc much to work with i dont think. lol

7 minutes ago, seashell1025 said:

yeah, i really dont remember why they were there.. but then again their storylines always bored the crap out of me. they never gave tlc much to work with i dont think. lol

when ever I think of Josh lately and I think it's because of the food discussions and the Duggar's we've been having I think of the time Josh and Jim Bob had that trainer then Josh lost and was supposed to make breakfast. instead of bringing food to cook he just took the bacon out of his parents fridge. Michelle had no clue until a producer asked her about. 

When we were 8 months pregnant with our last we took the other two girls to with their grandparents in another state for the weekend. We saw a movie, got the house ready (no decorating or setting up nursery, just like cleaning and doing baby clothes wash. We just always put our newborn in our room and dealt with all that later), and went to skyline drive for a picnic for the evening. It actually is a pretty vivid memory, and I'm so glad we did it. The shit hit the fan when she was born-  9/11 a week after her birth, a huge family crisis with my in-laws, a big financial crisis, health issues. So that time is a sweet memory in otherwise a pretty tumultuous time. 

Was watching JinJer's birth episode... Does Me chelle know any other adjectives other than SWEEEEET and PREEEEEECIOUS ?   

How the hell did her kids stand the sound of that fake baby voice their entire lives without going mad ?  Maybe the voice is a put on for the TV audience ? 

36 minutes ago, SayWhat said:

How the hell did her kids stand the sound of that fake baby voice their entire lives without going mad

Maybe they ARE all mad? lol

On 8/14/2018 at 3:13 PM, Bad Wolf said:

How many people can afford the time or money for a babymoon? We certainly couldn't.

When we had our first - neither money nor time.  When we had #2 and #3 we had more money and actually with #3 we were able to get away for a few days to NYC while my parents watched the older 2.  Didn't call it a 'baby moon' though... I think I'm too old for that.  Reference convo on who is a millenial.   But I'd rather stay home than sit in a row boat on a "pond" "ice fishing".  Poor Joy.  I mean, there's 'outdoorsy'.  But that's like... I don't know... like picking the most boring activity, and doing it wrong (not really ice fishing, because it wasn't solid ice, plus real ice fishing involves beer and being really cold), and in a really unappealing location.   Like all of the downsides of being outdoors with none of the benefits.  

9 hours ago, Cheetah said:

When we had our first - neither money nor time.  When we had #2 and #3 we had more money and actually with #3 we were able to get away for a few days to NYC while my parents watched the older 2.  Didn't call it a 'baby moon' though... I think I'm too old for that.  Reference convo on who is a millenial.   But I'd rather stay home than sit in a row boat on a "pond" "ice fishing".  Poor Joy.  I mean, there's 'outdoorsy'.  But that's like... I don't know... like picking the most boring activity, and doing it wrong (not really ice fishing, because it wasn't solid ice, plus real ice fishing involves beer and being really cold), and in a really unappealing location.   Like all of the downsides of being outdoors with none of the benefits.  

I always think it is so strange that Joy is put forward as being 'outdoorsy' but everytime they do some outdoor activity she says that she has never done it (or only once). This happened for camping, skiing and now fishing (maybe even more activities, I don't remember).

4 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I always think it is so strange that Joy is put forward as being 'outdoorsy' but everytime they do some outdoor activity she says that she has never done it (or only once). This happened for camping, skiing and now fishing (maybe even more activities, I don't remember).

I think when they call her that they mean she climbed some trees growing up :laughing-rollingyellow: this family as a whole does not seem to enjoy nature. 

3 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I think when they call her that they mean she climbed some trees growing up :laughing-rollingyellow: this family as a whole does not seem to enjoy nature. 

It is an interesting pattern with them. Every little detail, no matter how smart is blown out of proportion. Let’s remember Jana- the concert pianist. It is like they trained every personality/individuality out of their kids and then had to desperately make up character traits.

I know they used to fish sometimes at least with the first or five But as more children get added the time, money and organization to get that many little kids to do such activities  is not there anymore.

It's always kind of striking to me how weak-willed the Duggar kidults are. Aside from Jessa and Josh, each one seems to take a backseat in their relationships. The spouses are the ones that pick the honeymoon locations and drive decisions about how the family will live. If any of those spouses (Derek, Jeremy, Kendra, Lauren, Austin) did decide they wanted to go more maintstream Christian, I really wonder if their Duggar spouse would stand firm in their cult ideas.

Also, Joy had a crush on Austin for years, right? Maybe she kept trying to say she was outdoorsy because she knew that's what he liked. 

For how easily the Duggar women seem to get pregnant, they are probably regular AF. So fertility awareness method would probably be fairly straightforward and have good prevention rates if they chose to use it. 

1 hour ago, just_ordinary said:

It is an interesting pattern with them. Every little detail, no matter how smart is blown out of proportion. Let’s remember Jana- the concert pianist. It is like they trained every personality/individuality out of their kids and then had to desperately make up character traits.

Exactly. And the interesting thing is they really seem(ed) to actually do not a whole lot of anything. Although I must say, I was surprised in the recent pictures of the Seewald boys playing in the water at the TTH, there does now seem to be true, flourishing landscaping both hard and soft, around the home. I wonder if Jana is responsible for the maintenance?

These folks have BSing and self promotion (modest, not) down to a fine art.

Having 19 children and 21 family members severely limits personal experiences and the ability to explore and invest in individual skills snd strengths, IMO- It's all about 1 foot in front of the other and getting through another day with everyone fed and safe.

When Lauren was cutting Josiah's beard/hair and she said "realx!" the only thing I could think of was: Girl, you better do asmr videos in  the future with that voice!

If she can master her breathy voice like she did while cutting his hair then she should definitaly consider it. Like Christian asmr or something, is there something like this already?

9 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

asmr???

Help me out here.

Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response

Usually when people talk about asmr in the way  @eveandadam did, they are referring to videos online designed to trigger the response in viewers.  Since the wiki is long, here is the blurb on those:

The most popular source of stimuli reported by subjects to be effective in triggering ASMR is video. Videos reported being effective in triggering ASMR fall into two categories, identified and named by the community as 'Intentional' and 'Unintentional'. Intentional media is created by those known within the community as 'ASMRtists' with the purpose of triggering ASMR in viewers and listeners. Unintentional media is that made for other purposes, often before attention was drawn to the phenomenon in 2007, but which some subjects discover to be effective in triggering ASMR. One of the most popular examples of unintentional media several journalists have noted is of famed painter Bob Ross. In episodes of his popular television series The Joy of Painting both broadcast and on YouTube, his soft, gentle, altruistic speaking mannerisms and the sound of him painting and his tools trigger the effect on many of his viewers.  The work of stop-motion filmmaker PES is also often noted

2 hours ago, theotherelise said:

It's always kind of striking to me how weak-willed the Duggar kidults are. Aside from Jessa and Josh, each one seems to take a backseat in their relationships. The spouses are the ones that pick the honeymoon locations and drive decisions about how the family will live. If any of those spouses (Derek, Jeremy, Kendra, Lauren, Austin) did decide they wanted to go more maintstream Christian, I really wonder if their Duggar spouse would stand firm in their cult ideas.

Also, Joy had a crush on Austin for years, right? Maybe she kept trying to say she was outdoorsy because she knew that's what he liked. 

This, plus they’re all just pretty dumb. The Duggars are dumb. Whenever the producers ask them a basic question (that isn’t about courting or getting fired married) none of them have an answer. “Name a Greek god” “what’s this football position” etc etc. Usually if any of them can come up with an answer it’s one of the spouses. Because they were allowed to read books other than the Bible. 

38 minutes ago, BadMurphy said:

This, plus they’re all just pretty dumb. The Duggars are dumb. Whenever the producers ask them a basic question (that isn’t about courting or getting fired married) none of them have an answer. “Name a Greek god” “what’s this football position” etc etc. Usually if any of them can come up with an answer it’s one of the spouses. Because they were allowed to read books other than the Bible. 

We never know how much of this is being played up by the Duggars themselves or in editing. I think we most clearly see their sub-par education in their writing skills and in occasional conversations... like on Whatever Kids and Counting when encountering an athiest, or when visiting a school and being asked about their favorite books. Even then, it's a rather sad situation. I have a bit of sympathy and hesitate to call them "dumb." They were raised by a couple of jerks in a ridiculous cult... who knows how any of us would have turned out in their shoes?

48 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response

Usually when people talk about asmr in the way  @eveandadam did, they are referring to videos online designed to trigger the response in viewers.  Since the wiki is long, here is the blurb on those:

I thought ASMR videos were THE CREEPIEST THING on YouTube until I actually started using them to fall asleep. They work ridiculously well. And, if you're prone to be tempted to experiment with mind altering substances (cough cough), they can give you this interesting physical euphoria that I personally enjoy.

I have to admit it's still kind of creepy though.

I sometimes have issues with the ASMR videos that go ear to ear where every time it switches ears I get a pain in my back on the side it switched to. It's a similar pain to the back pain I get when I watch someone else get hurt. It's annoying, but pretty fascinating that bodies can do that in response to those kinds of stimuli.

1 hour ago, BadMurphy said:

There's a big difference between "dumb" and "uneducated" or "badly educated." The Duggars generally appear to fall into the latter camp since they are clearly show as capable of doing certain relatively complicated things when it suits the storyline of the show. But if they were deliberately un(der)exposed to ideas like the Greek Pantheon, etc. as children that's hardly their fault.

Maybe they can be blamed for not educating themselves on these concepts once they're older, but if it's never been demonstrated to be important to their daily lives I can't see why they'd have done so without a reason. After all, their education and lifestyle has been designed around staying within their religious and social bubble to a significant extent and they've had little incentive to step outside of it on a regular basis.

I devoured texts on Greek mythology etc. and was active in Knowledge Bowl as a high schooler because I was really interested in a lot of subjects and encouraged to explore those interests. Yet I don't know much about things like football because I don't have any significant interest in them, although I'll ask questions if I'm doing something that actually requires that I have a working knowledge of that new thing.

So even though I think they've been artificially and intentionally limited in their learning and curiosity by their parents and cult, I understand why the Duggar offspring might not always know things about subjects they haven't been introduced to within their millieu. But if they're going to be travelling to a new place like Greece and don't bother to learn anything about the broader (non-Christian) history and culture of that place, then I'm going to judge them at least a little bit. (Looking at you Joe & Kendra.)

On 8/16/2018 at 10:52 AM, SayWhat said:

Was watching JinJer's birth episode... Does Me chelle know any other adjectives other than SWEEEEET and PREEEEEECIOUS ?   

How the hell did her kids stand the sound of that fake baby voice their entire lives without going mad ?  Maybe the voice is a put on for the TV audience ? 

I missed this episode when it first aired.  I've been checking You Tube and haven't found it. Any idea where to watch?  I've tried on TLC website, but since our cable provider got bought out from Time Warner to Spectrum, password doesn't match for some reason.  I may need to take some time to fix it, but just wanted to see where to see it in a fix.

Just now, Thorkim1954 said:

I missed this episode when it first aired.  I've been checking You Tube and haven't found it. Any idea where to watch?  I've tried on TLC website, but since our cable provider got bought out from Time Warner to Spectrum, password doesn't match for some reason.  I may need to take some time to fix it, but just wanted to see where to see it in a fix.

it's on youtube. I posted that link over on the Jinjer thread. it was still up as of yesterday. 

20 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

it's on youtube. I posted that link over on the Jinjer thread. it was still up as of yesterday. 

Thank you!

On 8/17/2018 at 1:54 PM, just_ordinary said:

I wish the TLC producers would pull weirder and weirder character traits out of their asses. Just keep ramping up Jeremy being stereotypically Italian until they're at the point of concocting scenarios where he has to crawl through sewer pipes and fight a fire-breathing turtle dragon with his brother Luigi, who's basically him but skinnier and more insecure. 

On 8/17/2018 at 11:38 AM, eveandadam said:

Like Christian asmr or something, is there something like this already?

LOL I'm too afraid to look that up but I would not be surprised. there is some weirdddd asmr stuff out there! :P

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived