IGNORED

Johannah Wants to be a Doctor?

Deleted04

I was shocked when I heard her say this. I totally expected Johannah to say she wanted to be a "mommy," or just shrug her shoulders and look down. It surprised me how normal her ambitions are before the fundy brainwashing sets in. And Jackson wanting to be a medic? Those poor kids. Let's just hope they can leave home as soon as legally possible and deprogram themselves. Otherwise they don't stand a chance.

And that joke of an "education" will be another hurdle for them :(

I love that she says Doctor and not nurse (not that is anything wrong with being a nurse!) because I know kids around her age that literally only see men as doctors and women as nurses because of the environment they grow up in.

Hope Johannah somehow breaks free in the future so she can pursue her dreams!

Yay for Johannah! I hope she gets to be a doctor like she dreams of, and her education doesn't get in her way. (The scary thing is, the Duggars probably all have more education than I did.)

WTF? How did she learn that women can be doctors? Straight to the prayer closet for Hannie!

But seriously, that's fantastic and, if she actually manages to escape her family, she might be able to pull it off. She has a huge uphill battle ahead of her though and, more likely than not, she'll end up looking as depressed as Joy in a few years when they crush her spirit & she gives up & caves into her role as sister-mom.

Wasn't it Johanna who was terrified by doctors/nurses when she had the bike accident? If she has gotten over that and now wants to be a doctor, that is fantastic!!! Oh I hope she is able to do so. Sadly, the most likely scenario is that in a few years she will have that dead look in her eyes that we know so well from Joy as her spirit will be crushed. I really hope it doesn't get to that stage with Hannie :(

Johannah turns six this coming week and there are only three kids younger than her, and Josie is only a little more than three years younger than her. As it looks like God has finally closed Michelle's womb for good, I don't think we'll see Johannah suffer the same way the J Slaves and Joy Anna have. And I think Joy Anna will in a lot of ways have it much worse than the J Slaves, because they have the work split up four ways. Once the get married, it will just be her, doing laundry, homeschooling, and mommying all the Duggar kids left at home. I suspect Jana and Jill will be out the door soon enough, and she'll be filling their shoes. She might have three or four years with Jessa and Jinger, but once they get to be 21 or 22, they'll be gone too.

I love Jackson and Hannie; they are like a comedic duo with nearly perfect timing and their closeness is awfully sweet. But I also always feel a bit sad when I see them together knowing what's to come for them.

Before Hannie even opened her mouth, I had a feeling she was going to choose a profession most fundies would perceive as masculine. (although I think she changed it to shop girl or something like that a few seconds later.) I'm sure she was corrected later, but you've got to love her sassiness while it lasts. I hate the thought of her replacing Joy in the pantry or Jinger in the laundry in just a few years.

Last season, Hannie said something about she and Jackson playing house and he looked terrified and said he hoped the cameras hadn't picked up what she said. God forbid he ever get caught playing with a doll. He was also the little boy who a few years ago was seen dancing to a musical toy in a store and then publicly shamed by a J-Slave, who contrary to the photographic evidence had first insisted he must have been "Jumping for Joy" and not dancing.

There's nothing more natural than a little boy wanting (needing?) to dance, and it's completely normal for him to play house as Daddy with his and sister and her dolls. What these people do to the girls is sickening, but boys suffer in this environment as well. Well, not the Smuggerish ones, but surely the more sensitive or artistic ones must.

WTF? How did she learn that women can be doctors? Straight to the prayer closet for Hannie!

But seriously, that's fantastic and, if she actually manages to escape her family, she might be able to pull it off. She has a huge uphill battle ahead of her though and, more likely than not, she'll end up looking as depressed as Joy in a few years when they crush her spirit & she gives up & caves into her role as sister-mom.

Maybe she noticed her mom's OB/GYN is a woman (at least she was for the pregnancy with Jordyn, not sure about the others) and maybe a few of Josie's doctors were female as well. (Heck, if the Duggars are anything like Zhuzhu they might even prefer women doctors when it comes to treating the girls in the family.)

Anyway, Johannah might not have had much exposure to those doctors, but even if she only met them once it might have made a big impression on her.

It's a bit off topic, but how do people like ZsuZsu explain that to their daughters?? When she wants her girls to be treated by female doctors but at the same time raises her girls to be homemaker and to be submissive and to aspire nothing else but beeing a breeding machine to your future husband and tells them that every other lifestyle is unbiblical and leads you straight to hell?? Quite schocking double standards, don't you think?

By the way: GO HANNIE!! Hope she'll get the opportunity to fulfill her dreams!

I can say Hannie, Jackson and James are sweet. THey played with my kids at one of their presentation/conferences.

Hannie was talking and asked my DD's Dad's name. Her Dad's name is JimBob. It was cute to watch them all interact.

My kids watch the show now, just to see their friends.

It's a bit off topic, but how do people like ZsuZsu explain that to their daughters?? When she wants her girls to be treated by female doctors but at the same time raises her girls to be homemaker and to be submissive and to aspire nothing else but beeing a breeding machine to your future husband and tells them that every other lifestyle is unbiblical and leads you straight to hell?? Quite schocking double standards, don't you think?

I'm pretty sure ZsuZsu doesn't take her daughters to doctors. I'm pretty sure that her children have either never seen a doctor or it is an incredibly rare occurrence. However, she does think that all male OB/GYNs are perverts.

Johannah is really young. Kids that age don't always know what they want. Even if she wasn't living with super annoyingly strict parents, I would be very surprised if she still wanted to be a doctor in 10 or so years.

That said, whatever she DOES want to do with her life, I really hope she is able to get out there and DO it.

My sister is a pediatrician - one time she was looking after a young boy who obviously came from a very conservative family (my sister says the mom and the boy's sisters were in full frumper wear - head coverings and all) - when my sister went to examine the child - he refused to let her and he said "I only want the doctor" - my sister said she was a doctor and the boys said "no you can't be - you are just a girl" - when my sister explained that girls could be doctors too he refused to believe it. He asked his mom if this was possible and she hung her head and admitted it was true. My sister thought the whole thing was very odd.

Johannah is really young. Kids that age don't always know what they want. Even if she wasn't living with super annoyingly strict parents, I would be very surprised if she still wanted to be a doctor in 10 or so years.

That said, whatever she DOES want to do with her life, I really hope she is able to get out there and DO it.

Yeah, I wanted to be a doctor when I was young as well! But I was unfortunately terrible at chemistry, so I would never have made it. I ended up doing something totally different: languages!

I know a lot of pre-med students and doctors who said they always knew this was what they were going to do. It seems to be a calling for many and not just a career choice. I hope she sticks to her dream. Her parents are going to be way too old to control her by the time she hits college age.

Easy, she tells them that we are all infertile, unmarried women who went through medical school after our fathers passed away. Medicine is how we fill the huge void in our lives that not being a homemaker leaves.

Interestingly, I see a lot Amish people here and none of them has any issues with being seen by a female physician (and although they don't vaccinate, they do see physicians).

Easy, she tells them that we are all infertile, unmarried women who went through medical school after our fathers passed away. Medicine is how we fill the huge void in our lives that not being a homemaker leaves.

Interestingly, I see a lot Amish people here and none of them has any issues with being seen by a female physician (and although they don't vaccinate, they do see physicians).

Yep. After ZsuZsu's Q&A blog recently, someone asked her how women are supposed to be OBGYN's if they don't go to college. Her answer was basically that if they are infertile or their children are grown, they could become an OBGYN. Because, you know, infertile women want to be surrounded by pregnant QFs all day :think:

WTF? How did she learn that women can be doctors?

Well she was delivered by a female doctor...

I think it's silly to read anything into this. She's how old? Please....

I agree it is silly to read into this. Johanna is 6 and she might change her goals later on. I think the Duggars are ok with women being doctors.

I agree it is silly to read into this. Johanna is 6 and she might change her goals later on. I think the Duggars are ok with women being doctors.

Just not their daughters.

J'boob won't even pay for his kids to go to community college (or whatever that is called in the US) - you think he is going to pay for university plus medical school? Not bloody likely.

Get used to disappointment Hannie.

I suspect that if Johanna really continues to feel this way throughout her life and continues to pursue this line of thought, JimBoob and J'chelle will send her to the same re-education camp they sent Jana too. I would not be surprised if after pretending they take Jill's desire to be a nurse seriously for a while that they will gently suggest she go on a retreat to pray about it. Next thing you know, she's rethinking the whole thing.

They sent Jana to a re-education camp? I have heard of "training" camps in these circles, but I never knew they sent Jana to one.

Well, my comment was meant to be sarcastic.

I can't imagine that she remembers being delivered by anyone though, female or male.

Jana went to "Journey of the Heart" -- a place for ATI girls to "examine" their lives and "re-dedicate' themselves to Jesus. Bleah...

As for Michelle and her "closed" womb - I'm getting a little suspicious that she and JB are either done with "trying" or are using some sort of birth control, even if it's natural family planning. I say that because I was recently reading an article talking about HELLP syndrome, which is the more severe complication of pre-eclampsia that Michelle appears to have had with Josie. The article said that HELLP reoccurs ~60% of the time in subsequent pregnancies, and women who have had HELLP are generally advised NOT to have additional children. Since Michelle showed no drop in fertility before Josie, I am guessing she is actively avoiding pregnancy for the first time since her late teens/early 20s. Maybe she has some kind of brain after all, or those old self-preservation instincts have kicked in.

Jana went to "Journey of the Heart" -- a place for ATI girls to "examine" their lives and "re-dedicate' themselves to Jesus. Bleah...

As for Michelle and her "closed" womb - I'm getting a little suspicious that she and JB are either done with "trying" or are using some sort of birth control, even if it's natural family planning. I say that because I was recently reading an article talking about HELLP syndrome, which is the more severe complication of pre-eclampsia that Michelle appears to have had with Josie. The article said that HELLP reoccurs ~60% of the time in subsequent pregnancies, and women who have had HELLP are generally advised NOT to have additional children. Since Michelle showed no drop in fertility before Josie, I am guessing she is actively avoiding pregnancy for the first time since her late teens/early 20s. Maybe she has some kind of brain after all, or those old self-preservation instincts have kicked in.

I don't know. Michelle previously mentioned that her mother started menopause early so she always wondered (feared?) that she would start early as well and not be able to continue having kids as long as she would have liked (God's will, of course).

Archived