IGNORED

Christian Apologists

singsingsing

So the 'Convince me about Jesus' thread in AYTFJ now has someone recommending Lee Strobel's books. *Facepalm* 

I mean, I don't even know what to say, because I don't want to start a fight. But Lee Strobel? Seriously? 

Also, can I just tell you how much I hate the whole 'They're smart and educated and they're Christians!!' argument? WOW, NO WAY! Guess what? All kinds of smart and educated people believe all kinds of weird, ignorant, and/or irrational things! I'm so sick of 'He's smart and he went to law school/has a PhD/is a doctor' argument being used in favour of Christianity. That's not how this works! It's totally irrelevant! And Lee Strobel was an effing journalist. He's not even educated in the subject he's trying to defend.

sifjkhdkjlfhskfsgkl

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

Lee Strobel's books are so disingenuous and frankly, to me almost cowardly. I know that seems extremely harsh, but I do think it's warranted. He only ever interviews apologists. I am left to conclude that he is simply afraid to face skeptics questions and critical gaze. Either that or he's just to damn lazy to bother interviewing the other side. Neither option says much about his journalistic integrity. Color me unimpressed. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

• 1 month later...

So I have been continuing to post on the "Convince Me About Jesus" thread and am trying to recover from severe eyeball rolling strain. Christianity has 3 people to thank for it's spread, and Jesus isn't one of them. The 3 in question would be the Apostle Paul, the Emperor Constantine, and Augustine of Hippo.

• Upvote 2

• Recent Status Updates

• mango_fandango

mango_fandango

It’s always so freaking annoying when you’re supposed to have a phone call at a certain time and it never comes…
      · 0 replies
    • Cartmann99

Cartmann99

Can we please do fall now?

· 0 replies
    • meep

meep

I HATE MICROECONOMICS. That is all. 
      · 5 replies
    • PinkGreyBrown

PinkGreyBrown

LOL, I read the Bible an awful lot for someone who's a hard-materialist atheist. But, then, I was raised culturally Christian, & US culture is so deeply steeped in Christianity, it's difficult to escape it.
      I like the Bible websites, tending to like the gateway one better than the hub one, for usability reasons. I really like that they have all the versions, all the different books, & all the commentaries. I did buy a Bible, in college lol, a big fat scholastic bible with all the books & a ton of footnotes. I started an atrocity project with it long ago & it's full of post-its.
      I've definitely developed a preference in versions, liking the NIV best so far, it's marvelously clear & the least disappointing when I dig into the depths. The KJVs are muddled & difficult to understand. Recently I've gotten to thinking that's why all these my-own-private-patriarchal-cult & grifters & et al like the KJVs so much, cuz they're a more obscure version that requires more 'explaining', is more open to interpretation. In addition to the obvious historical reasons why, like feeling all connected to the Pilgrim eras, & sounding all Shakespearean.
      I mostly end up reading the Bible as a fact-checking exercise, wondering what the verses & chapters say, the verses that people will have in their bios or social media postings. Tho' I do a fair amount of wondering why people think a thing that ostensibly has Biblical roots, digging around that.
      Fwiw.
      · 1 reply
    • louisa05

louisa05

Second grade defeated me today. Worst class ever. 
      · 2 replies
    • PinkGreyBrown

PinkGreyBrown

This first-name-prevalance tool is one of my favorite websites ever. Sadly US-specific but nonetheless fascinating for nerds like me.
      · 1 reply
    • feministxtian

feministxtian

I hate English class. That is all.
      · 2 replies
    • 47of74

47of74

Did whatever I had change my personality at all?  Maybe a good thing if it makes my asshole tolerance even lower than before.
      · 0 replies
    • 47of74

47of74

Hey LinkedIn, do yourself a favor and learn how to read the fucking room already. 
      · 0 replies
    • Smash!

Smash!

Just started with Couch 2 5k. How I missed running!
      · 3 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.