• Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Maintenance tomorrow Read more... ×
VaSportsMom

JRod 71: Timothy Spreads His Wings

Tired
FecundFundieFundus

@EmmieJ ESAs have no training requirements. Humans with diagnosed anxiety (for example) can have a regular pet prescribed to them as part of their health plan, basically. I've read of someone with depression who had two sugar glider support animals: they're up during her schedule (nocturnal) so she has company, taking care of them provides her impetus to go on walks with them and keeps her on a schedule. That being said, they're not service animals and not covered under the ADA. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

cupcake

Re: Matron of Honor

My.Lord. I love my mother dearly, but there was no way she would have been my MOH. My niece who is actually three years younger than me was mine. It's so funny to me because we are literally exactly alike with almost everything. We have the same taste in music, we both drive silver cars, we are both English teachers, and the list goes on AND on. We've even shown up to family events wearing the same exact outfit without any coordinating efforts.

Her little brothers sometimes mix up our names! Even better, our husbands have been thisclose since childhood and have the same name.

Also, do you think the Rods ever yell out every kid's name before getting to the kid they are really trying to "summon"? This happened frequently in my house when the niece and nephews were over.

NUR-KAY-REN-TIM-HANN-OLI-GABE-PHI-SAMU-TESS-SOPH-!

SADIE!

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

EmmieJ
9 hours ago, Sky said:

My sons are hard working, respectful, driven and young men that love God and resist evil through God's power. My husband is a man that is faithful and godly and SO much more

Notice that the sons are "hard working," but when she talks about David, no mention of his work ethic.  Wonder why?

And yes Jill, we can all see that David is SO much more - maybe instead of sitting in his shed all day not earning an income, he could take a half hour walk and see if that doesn't help his waistline.  (No, not fat shaming !  I'm lazy grifter shaming.)

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

HarryPotterFan

I had a classmate in grad school who had a service dog. He was a very good doggie. He napped during class and when class ended he’d hand his owner his coat. I hope he received an honorary degree and his very own graduation cap.

You really didn’t notice the dog was there, he just stayed silent. And everyone had the sense not to pet him. 

• Upvote 11
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 12

Pecansforeveryone

I mean I still can't get over how shamelessly David botched his sermon. Book of Joseph, instead of Book of Genesis and stumbling over SEVERELY hard words like butler and baker?! To me, you are mocking your own sacred, inspired word of God by being so sloppy with wording. I'm as atheist as they come, and I would never stumble through Bible verses like that. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

Walking Cat Bed
1 hour ago, waltraute said:

I'm going to bet every single one of the girls will feel obligated to have her as MoH.  It will become a thing.

Unless one of the girls manages to r-u-n-n-o-f-t.

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 9
  • Love 3

cupcake
Just now, Pecansforeveryone said:

I mean I still can't get over how shamelessly David botched his sermon. Book of Joseph, instead of Book of Genesis and stumbling over SEVERELY hard words like butler and baker?! To me, you are mocking your own sacred, inspired word of God by being so sloppy with wording. I'm as atheist as they come, and I would never stumble through Bible verses like that. 

Sometimes when I'm nervous I make silly mistakes like those, but I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, correct myself.

Did David do the same? If not, he was ill-prepared and needs to step up his game.

Walking Cat Bed
14 minutes ago, cupcake said:

Re: Matron of Honor

My.Lord. I love my mother dearly, but there was no way she would have been my MOH. My niece who is actually three years younger than me was mine. It's so funny to me because we are literally exactly alike with almost everything. We have the same taste in music, we both drive silver cars, we are both English teachers, and the list goes on AND on. We've even shown up to family events wearing the same exact outfit without any coordinating efforts.

Her little brothers sometimes mix up our names! Even better, our husbands have been thisclose since childhood and have the same name.

Also, do you think the Rods ever yell out every kid's name before getting to the kid they are really trying to "summon"? This happened frequently in my house when the niece and nephews were over.

NUR-KAY-REN-TIM-HANN-OLI-GABE-PHI-SAMU-TESS-SOPH-!

SADIE!

I'm assuming that Jilly summons the "CHIIIIIIIIIIIIILDREEEEEEN" as a group, then decides which one she needs.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 6

StepMonsterInLA

Not fan of dogs in human spaces (restaurants, food stores, places that say No Animals except service animals) but people don’t think it applies to them. I got in a yelling match (yelling to be heard over the barking and chaos) with a woman who’s “therapy dog” was barking nonstop and lunging at my son and me in a smoothie  place while the woman continued to try and order.   I was so mad and I’m sure that woman’s emotional state was exacerbated by the whole thing. The owner finally said look lady take your dog outside.  Her mom came in and tried to shame me, stating it is her daughters therapy dog—mind you she was a grown ass middle aged woman.

In my observations, true service animals blend into the background, while pet owners look for all the attention they can get for them and their pet.  

A woman on my flight kept opening her pet carrier and the damn cat tried to escape.  Her pet stroller was waiting at the gate when we arrived.  Eye roll. 

Bad Wolf

Have to admit, I counted the children to make sure no one had been left behind (or raptured).

cupcake
56 minutes ago, Walking Cat Bed said:

I'm assuming that Jilly summons the "CHIIIIIIIIIIIIILDREEEEEEN" as a group, then decides which one she needs.

Sweet Jesus help me. When I read that, I heard "CHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLDREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN" in the same manner Bette Middler summons her book of spells in "Hocus Pocus" as she calls out "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK!"

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Georgiana

Maybe she just starts to play the Star Spangled Banner, and wordlessly and robotically all her children will immediately assemble in a line according to height.

Pecansforeveryone
Posted (edited)

Oh heck, if Jill were on top of her game, she could go all Sound of Music with a whistle for each child. 

@Cupcake, well Jill is the Wicked Witch of the RV with her devils brew of Pleux and toadstools, so I think you nailed it with the Hocus Pocus comparison. 

Edited by Pecansforeveryone
Add a thought
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

SuperNova
11 hours ago, Sky said:

I don't say this in pride, but in truth. My girls are rare gems in this wicked world. They are modest, chaste, respectful, obedient, kind and seek God with their lives! My sons are hard working, respectful, driven and young men that love God and resist evil through God's power. My husband is a man that is faithful and godly and SO much more!

Fucking hell, Jill.

Jill isn't prideful. Nope, not at all. She and her family are just better than you and your family. That's just the truth. Jill can't help it if your daughters aren't rare gems and that your sons aren't hard working. Or that her husband is SO much more than yours!

What about Snuggles? Is Snuggles better than my pet, too? Is Snuggles a godly dog? Maybe that's why she left him/her behind, to convert the heathen shelter dogs.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 17
  • Love 1

Tofu
Not fan of dogs in human spaces (restaurants, food stores, places that say No Animals except service animals) but people don’t think it applies to them. I got in a yelling match (yelling to be heard over the barking and chaos) with a woman who’s “therapy dog” was barking nonstop and lunging at my son and me in a smoothie  place while the woman continued to try and order.   I was so mad and I’m sure that woman’s emotional state was exacerbated by the whole thing. The owner finally said look lady take your dog outside.  Her mom came in and tried to shame me, stating it is her daughters therapy dog—mind you she was a grown ass middle aged woman.
In my observations, true service animals blend into the background, while pet owners look for all the attention they can get for them and their pet.  
A woman on my flight kept opening her pet carrier and the damn cat tried to escape.  Her pet stroller was waiting at the gate when we arrived.  Eye roll. 

At me to not into animals in the target cart that I’m about to put groceries in. Yes, I’ve seen it done. Pretty certain it’s not a service dog if it’s riding around in the cart, yes? Zero issues with TRUE service dogs. Not the ones some people buy a vest of off amazon for.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

Georgiana
Just now, Tofu said:

At me to not into animals in the target cart that I’m about to put groceries in. Yes, I’ve seen it done. Pretty certain it’s not a service dog if it’s riding around in the cart, yes? Zero issues with TRUE service dogs. Not the ones some people buy a vest of off amazon for.

This is actually a common misconception.  While we are most used to service dogs being large dogs that assist mainly with mobility, there are many, many other kids of service dogs out there...some of whom do not provide mobility assistance and may be more comfortable/contained in a cart.  Dogs like seizure or allergy dogs can be service dogs and are often smaller breeds.  These dogs may do best riding along in a cart as it prevents them from becoming a hazard to other people AND allows them to do their duties better while at the store.

Obviously, not everyone's yappy purse-dog is a service dog, but it's completely possible for one to be.  

Tired
FecundFundieFundus
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Tofu said:

Wrong. Some service dogs perform mobility tasks, but there are dogs who are able to detect oncoming seizures or migraines and alert their owners to get to a safe place. 

Edit:  @Georgiana said it first and more eloquently!! 

Edited by FecundFundieFundus
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

usedtobenice

Some stores are dog friendly whether or not the dog is a service or therapy dog.

Home Depot is one I can think of off the top of my head. Here is a list:

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6109922

Tofu

Stand corrected then. I still don’t care for dogs butts to be where I put food. I can have that opinion.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

Georgiana
6 minutes ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Wrong. Some service dogs perform mobility tasks, but there are dogs who are able to detect oncoming seizures or migraines and alert their owners to get to a safe place. 

Edit:  @Georgiana said it first and more eloquently!! 

Yeah, I wish there was more public education on the variety of tasks service dogs are trained to perform.  Not just for smaller dogs, but also for other non-conventional service dog duties such as PTSD dogs.  A service dog for combat PTSD, for example, is likely to be a larger breed and also likely to be off leash as they may need to check around corners.  

One thing you can always expect of a service or therapy dog is good behavior.  A support animal is NEVER entitled to poor behavior no matter HOW legitimate they are.  So if you see an animal behaving badly in a public space, there is no need to wonder if it is a service animal or not.  You are fully within your rights to ask that the animal be removed.  

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 5

cupcake
1 hour ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Oh heck, if Jill were on top of her game, she could go all Sound of Music with a whistle for each child. 

@Cupcake, well Jill is the Wicked Witch of the RV with her devils brew of Pleux and toadstools, so I think you nailed it with the Hocus Pocus comparison. 

Why thank you. She is certainly reminiscent of the Sanderson sisters, except Satan attacks her instead of dancing with her in the living room.

Lurky
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Walking Cat Bed said:

She doesn't even make that much effort - she has a bell she rings for them, which we've seen in action on her videos, when she's bored of the little girls wanting her attention, while she has more important things to do, like facebook live for 25 more minutes....

Edited by Lurky
  • Upvote 8
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Wine time!
acheronbeach

We've all seen that shady mofo who uses the "service dog" schtick for their poorly behaved pet.  That's why so many of us side-eye the barky chihuahua in the basket at Walmart.  

For instance, the bichon frise who was unleashed in the Tim Hortons I once worked at, who ran into the service area, ate a timbit off the lower shelves (goodbye fresh tray of honey dips) and began barking and running around the shop while we tried to catch him.  Owner was outside having a smoke, BTW, then yelled at us when we told him to get the dog out.  Little bastard - the owner, not the dog.  

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 8
  • Love 1

LovelyLuna

I’m on a list for a trained PTSD dog and it pisses me off when people bring their pets places.  We have so many people bringing their (usually) little dogs places here.  In public I cannot stand dogs randomly sniffing me, wandering around getting into things or blocking walkways.  If the dog acts like a service dog (basically invisible unless doing its job) then I’m cool.  

I had a Lyft driver with a Jack Russell who hopped in the back seat and started nosing my bags as soon as we drove off.  The man asked ‘do you mind?’ after we were driving.  WTF was I supposed to say? I do mind, pull over?  And while I’m at it, the lady who comes to Synagog late with the little dog in a noisy jangly collar, and lets him sit in the pathways where people walk?  Leave the damn dog at home please. 

whelp, I didn’t mean to get into a rant there.  To end on a good note, the place I’m working with recently started doing the first half of the training for the dogs at local prisons.  I love that my future dog may help someone gain skills to better themselves.  

Free Snuggles! 

Georgiana

Continuing on here: