• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
skrmom

Especially for a girl

viii

Both my nieces had tongue ties and got theirs lasered (niece one was around 3 weeks, niece two was around 3 days), and the after care was awful. Four times a day my sister had to massage the wound and basically reopen it so it wouldn't grow back together. Babies screamed the entire time. It was awful for weeks afterwards. I can understand the hesitation to do it, because it is weeks of pain for your child, but my sister knew the pros outweighed the cons, and it was better for the girls in the long run. 

Sad
Coconut Flan

I wonder why some doctors have parents do that and others (like ours) said just check it twice a day to make sure it wasn't growing back.  Like swipe a finger across it gently.  There was no massage and the doctor definitely didn't want anything reopened for fear of infection.  Strange. 

ETA:  In looking I found some references to the massage and such in older material (20 years and older) and from other countries.  

viii

That is odd, because this was 2015 and 2018 that it happened, so if it was an older practice, you'd think her doctor would know better. 

I wonder if there is a difference between clipped and lasered though, and if one isn't as effective as the other, hence the massaging? 

Sad
Coconut Flan

I expect that there is a difference in how it's done.

I can tell you the story as it happened.  Grandson could not really breastfeed.  His condition was described as very severe and my daughter had zero interest in pumping and bottle feeding for a year, but was also determined he was getting breast milk.  The pediatrician, of course, recommended surgery and referred the baby to "the best pediatric surgeon for this in Southern California."  His words.  Daughter read online and saw the stretching and massaging and was oh this is horrible. I don't know if we want to do this.  Off we went to the consultation and when daughter asked about the after care, the surgeon said, "We don't do that any more.  I use a current technique where that isn't necessary."   So obviously there is at least one method that avoids it.  Grandson was healed in hours.   I believe she used a laser.  I wasn't in the room when it was done though. Daughter made his father hold him.  Daughter was called in to have him nurse as soon as it was done and the surgeon said that was the best way to stop bleeding.  It had to be done at Children's Hospital though in case of hemorrhage.  

Hearing other stories now, I'm very happy the pediatrician sent grandson where he did.  So far he's always had good judgment.  

viii

Both my nieces got lasered as well, and yeah, the recovery was nothing like your grandson's! I'm also up in Canada, so that might make a difference as well. Glad your grandson was spared the daily pain! ❤️ 

Knight of Ni

It’s amazing how medical practices can change over time. One of my college professors told us about when he was a child. He is about the age of my grandparents. When he was three he said his pediatrician basically told his parents that he would be deaf and mentally disabled for the rest of his life. One day when he was taken for an appointment they had him see the new youngest doctor in the practice who said “you’re child has an ear infection he needs antibiotics “. Apparently the older doctor hadn’t kept up with new medical advances or thought they were useless.

SoSoNosy

Moving off tongue tie and over to Boaz and his left handedness.  I guess he and Jachim were mirror twins.  Love how everybody is raving about how smart he is for four, and even left handed!  I'm left-handed and I was left to figure out how to do things myself, so other than writing and eating I am basically ambidextrous.

AtlanticTug
On 8/29/2018 at 1:32 PM, SoSoNosy said:

I'm left-handed and I was left to figure out how to do things myself, so other than writing and eating I am basically ambidextrous.

My grandmother was a leftie back in the day when this was a beatable offence at school (by the nuns, no less). I guess left-handedness was a thing of the devil or something so she was never allowed to use her left hand for anything. Therefore she learned to write with her right hand and her handwriting was never really nice truth be told, but she did absolutely everything else with her left hand, like eating, sewing, lifting things, cleaning, etc because at home her family didn't care.

apandaaries

So I watched Zsu’s video about her lackluster homeschool schedule, in which she does simple division to figure out how many pages the kids should do each week. That’s obviously horroible, but...

Did anyone else notice that Chloe has no books at all? She showed her empty book space and said she’s waiting for something. Boaz, of course, has several books. Peter just got his own video posted. I guess Chloe has to wait until she can function as a sister wife before she gets any attention.

Terrie
2 hours ago, apandaaries said:

So I watched Zsu’s video about her lackluster homeschool schedule, in which she does simple division to figure out how many pages the kids should do each week. That’s obviously horroible, but...

Did anyone else notice that Chloe has no books at all? She showed her empty book space and said she’s waiting for something. Boaz, of course, has several books. Peter just got his own video posted. I guess Chloe has to wait until she can function as a sister wife before she gets any attention.

In a slightly more recent FB picture of the younger kids at the kitchen counter, she has a coloring book. She's two. It doesn't really bother me.

Now, the most recent FB post, about gender roles and how many of her followers have had their kids make rude remarks out in public... That bothers me.

JermajestyDuggar

Zoo actually posted something Stephen said on FB. She very very rarely posts about that poor child. If she posts a picture of him, it’s because he’s next to Bo. If I could rank the amount of attention Zoo gives them in FB, this is how it would go. 

Most attention: 

1) Peter 

2) Chloe

3) Bo

4) Miriam

5) Solomon

Least attention:

6) Becky

7) Isaac

8.) Anna

9) Stephen

10) John

Terrie

I had kinda forgotten John even exists. I mean, I remembered her three oldest were boys, but... I couldn't tell you a damned thing about the kid currently. The last bit I remember about him was the picture he drew of his dad's visit to jail on the Africa trip. (Because, after all, according to ZZ, John is the "artistic" one).

JermajestyDuggar
2 minutes ago, Terrie said:

I had kinda forgotten John even exists. I mean, I remembered her three oldest were boys, but... I couldn't tell you a damned thing about the kid currently. The last bit I remember about him was the picture he drew of his dad's visit to jail on the Africa trip. (Because, after all, according to ZZ, John is the "artistic" one).

If I had never read anything about Zoo and visited her Facebook page for the first time, I would assume she only had 5 kids. 

No, your child has picked up on the fact that you force your girls to be his mother. That’s why he calls his sisters mama. Dumbass.

AE6D1BF8-56C1-4522-BCB5-37A6C2FEB576.jpeg

Dizzy
tankgirl

That baby doesn't have flipping object permanence yet, sure he has a clue about the more complicated idea of gender. Bet they ignore when he calls the wall Mama, or the cat Dada. He only repeats, what you constantly say, you twit.

AtlanticTug

I was just going to say how absurd that is at age 7 months.

But of course he's an Anderson so he's a freaking genius, what with that mix of genes and a steady diet of Einkorn and gelato.

Foudeb

My godson also lovingly said dada to his father at a very young age. 

He also said it to me, to his mother, to the kitchen cupboard he used to have a particular fascination for, to the potted plant and to passing cars when out for walk. It's called learning to control their vocal chords.