IGNORED

Dullards 63: Law School Participation Trophy

VaSportsMom

3 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I love store brand mac and cheese. Darn good eating. 

Me too and now they have gluten free, so happy to be reunited with this comfort food.  Serve with Italian sausage and salad.   I have made it from scratch but so much work.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

It's not food shaming, it's why in the fuck does she think that's blog worthy? There are days that I eat the crappiest pasta which looks like a poor man's hamburger helper. It's amazing, fatty, cheesy, heart attacking inducing and I would eat it for days and days and days. I also eat frozen pizza and frozen lasagnas. I'm not sharing my crap and thinking that people will look at it and say "Mmmm delicious." Will I cook it for friends on a day that we are all hungover and need some crap? Hell yes! We all eat food that doesn't look great, we all eat crap from time to time; but most of us don't think that our crap is blogworthy.  

This is one of those posts where an "absolute-freaking-lutely reaction is needed. When I'm serving unhealthy, likely lacking in basic nutrition food, my first thought isn't to blog about it, or to think I'm entitled to a public career because I'm doing things so much better than everyone else.

Not food shaming at all when you consider the source and the crap they've shoved down the public's throat for a decade.

I wholeheartedly agree that it’s not the food that Jill is making-it’s that she thinks it’s blog-worthy. If she marketed it differently (as someone said previously) there wouldn’t be an issue. 

Food shaming goes both ways. Today I took some leftovers to work for my lunch (roasted spaghetti squash w/spinach, garlic, tomato, lemon and feta cheese-a healthy, totally homemade meal)-my boss smelled it and asked what I was having -when I showed him and told him what it was, he kept saying “that looks disgusting, I’d never eat that” and making puke faces. Yes, it didn’t look great (especially since it was leftover and microwaved), but he sure thought it smelled good enough to inquire about it (“Oooh, what are you having?”) I ended up telling him to go away so I could enjoy my delicious (but not visually appealing) lunch.

31 minutes ago, ElephantPatronus said:

Food shaming goes both ways. Today I took some leftovers to work for my lunch (roasted spaghetti squash w/spinach, garlic, tomato, lemon and feta cheese-a healthy, totally homemade meal)-my boss smelled it and asked what I was having -when I showed him and told him what it was, he kept saying “that looks disgusting, I’d never eat that” and making puke faces. Yes, it didn’t look great (especially since it was leftover and microwaved), but he sure thought it smelled good enough to inquire about it (“Oooh, what are you having?”) I ended up telling him to go away so I could enjoy my delicious (but not visually appealing) lunch.

Yes! First of all, that sounds delicious. :) 

Secondly...I hate it when people tell me that my healthy lunches sound disgusting! I often take smoothies to work for breakfast, and they're always some blend of berries and spinach (plus some other ingredients). SO many comments about "ew...what is that?!" "That looks gross!".

Perfect example of the saying "Don't 'yuck' someone else's 'yum'!"

Jinx, I do spinach smoothies in my ninja as well. It's good, too. People don't know what they are missing. 

I've been meaning to try spinach smoothies for ages now and this is just reminding me to give it a go. 

I mix my smoothies with coconut milk or a spoonful of peanut butter since I have heard the nutrients in spinach are fat soluble. 

12 hours ago, Iamtheway said:

@Alisamer I feel your pain! So frustrating! And when you ask them for a new photo they always say it will be hard to get. Really? You work a goverment job in an office and not one single person owns a smartphone?

I’ve had the experience of asking someone for a high quality photo and revieicing a photo that was 2 KB. That’s the opposite of high quality...

48 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I've been meaning to try spinach smoothies for ages now and this is just reminding me to give it a go. 

Do it. I learned some smoohie recipes earlier this year, trail and error on my part, but I'm good at it now. Never thought I'd like spinach in a smoothie, but it's one of my usual ingredients.

9 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

FJ is BIG... nay, HUGE... on food-shaming. It's ridiculous.

By that standard any criticism is food-shaming.  This isn't.  Jill isn't a person trying to stretch out her last little bit of money and living in a food desert.  She's not a neophyte sharing as she learns to cook.  She's a privileged woman who appears to have comfortable, secure housing and transportation, a supportive family, and lives near lots of cheap supermarkets.  She's traveled and eaten at many restaurants from many different cultures.  She's someone who has - for years - positioned herself as having superior training as a helpmeet.  And now, she publicly positions herself as a mom sharing her "skills."  Heck, recipes are one of only four categories on her blog.  

I have zero art/craft skills.  If I start a website teaching others portraiture, I would be roundly - and rightly - criticised.  It wouldn't be "creativity shaming" me.  Once you publicly position yourself as an expert or teacher, you open yourself up to criticism.  

8 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

By that standard any criticism is food-shaming.  This isn't.  Jill isn't a person trying to stretch out her last little bit of money and living in a food desert.  She's not a neophyte sharing as she learns to cook.  She's a privileged woman who appears to have comfortable, secure housing and transportation, a supportive family, and lives near lots of cheap supermarkets.  She's traveled and eaten at many restaurants from many different cultures.  She's someone who has - for years - positioned herself as having superior training as a helpmeet.  And now, she publicly positions herself as a mom sharing her "skills."  Heck, recipes are one of only four categories on her blog.  

I have zero art/craft skills.  If I start a website teaching others portraiture, I would be roundly - and rightly - criticised.  It wouldn't be "creativity shaming" me.  Once you publicly position yourself as an expert or teacher, you open yourself up to criticism. 

THANK YOU. Jill and Derick are not destitute or even close to working poor, even if Derick (allegedly) has the financial sense of an NFL player who has never been told no. They're not living on canned Cream of Crap because it's the only way to stretch their last dollar till the next paycheck. Daddy Jim Bob is a multi-millionaire and likely bailed them out once Derick squandered the last of their TLC money on his year-long $12,000 Vacation Bible School. They still have enough goodwill to grift from leghumpers JRod-style. On top of that, her older sister grows a goddamn victory garden in the backyard of the compound. I'm not going to "poor Jill" this shit. 

@ElephantPatronus spaghetti squash is the bomb! I usually put pesto on mine, and then top it with ground turkey and sautéed veggies in tomato sauce, and a crumble of peppercorn goat cheese on top. In fact, I'm going to make something like this when I harvest my tomatoes and basil.

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@SamiKatz, that sounds like my youngest daughter and broccoli or "gwockoli" as her toddler self called it.  She still won't eat broccoli.  She's 27.

Damn. I was hoping my 6 year old would grow out of it. 

11 hours ago, beepy13 said:

Yes! First of all, that sounds delicious. :) 

Secondly...I hate it when people tell me that my healthy lunches sound disgusting! I often take smoothies to work for breakfast, and they're always some blend of berries and spinach (plus some other ingredients). SO many comments about "ew...what is that?!" "That looks gross!".

Perfect example of the saying "Don't 'yuck' someone else's 'yum'!"

It seems like everyone has a Lunchtime Inquisitor at work these days. I love my current job, but I miss my old coworkers-their comments were always “that smells great” or “how do you make that?” I actually used to occasionally bring extras to work for anyone who hadn’t brought lunch-and they loved it. Now I’d never do that-I get enough negative comments without inviting them to eat it, too. Even when I eat foods that my current coworkers eat, they have comments. Last week, we ordered lunch and I got a cheeseburger and fries-all anyone could say was “no salad today?” or “oh, did you finally give up the diet?” I don’t even diet-I just try to eat healthy foods most of the time. But damn, what I would give to be able to eat my lunch without the commentary!

8 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

@ElephantPatronus spaghetti squash is the bomb! I usually put pesto on mine, and then top it with ground turkey and sautéed veggies in tomato sauce, and a crumble of peppercorn goat cheese on top. In fact, I'm going to make something like this when I harvest my tomatoes and basil.

Sounds amazing! Since you seem to love spaghetti squash as much as I do, have you discovered the ease of first cooking it in the crockpot? Wash it, stab it 5-6 times w/a sharp knife, put it in w/a cup of water on low all day. It’s so much easier to scoop out the seeds and strings after it’s cooked! I like to then scoop out the squash and roast it for a bit in the oven for extra flavor. Yum!

25 minutes ago, ElephantPatronus said:

It seems like everyone has a Lunchtime Inquisitor at work these days.

Yep. We hired a new admin person and she's constantly questioning my food/food choices. She says her DOCTOR told her not to eat gluten, yet she eats sandwiches, pizza, etc.  I brought in a gluten-free pizza a couple of days ago and she made a face, saying it looked "terrible" and would obviously taste "disgusting." Honestly - it looks just like any other thin-crust pizza... I offered to share it with her but she literally said, "YUCK!"

This is a couple of weeks after she said she was hungry, and I (and others) offered to share what we have. I have a tiny "pantry" at my desk, with CANNED (yes!!!! CANNED!!!!!) green beans, apple sauce, and dried fruit; I also keep stuff in the fridge:  cottage cheese, yogurt, olives, mozzarella pearls. When I offered her any of that, she screeched:  "YUCK! COTTAGE CHEESE!"

I borrowed the "Don't YUCK on my YUM" line that I learned here on FJ. That only kept her quiet for a day or two.

I freaking HATED the food inquisition at work! Just leave me alone and let me eat or not eat what I want. I'm an adult woman, I can manage that for myself, thanks! Please do not stare at me and make comments about the amount I'm eating. Please don't assume I'm trying to lose weight and then verbally chastise me for that. Please don't tell me I 'need' to eat more, or I 'can afford to' eat whatever. Thanks for your evaluation of my body, but you don't know why I eat the way I do, or what I'm eating at home (or even at work when you're not watching me), so please mind your own business.

And then the food pushers. My God, the food pushers. Almost every day there was a different dessert or treat brought in, and if you chose not to partake - especially if it was CAKE - God help you! I once had to say 'no thank you' to a woman pushing cake on me multiple times, and she still came back and slid a piece onto my desk. I have a food allergy and I can't eat anything like that from a bakery, but thanks for shoving it in my face anyway even after I said no multiple times, Debbie. 

I once went out for lunch with my bosses and coworker, and I just had a drink because I was still recovering from a stomach bug (which I told them, even before we left). All through lunch I was teased about not eating. JUST. STOP. I know people think they're being friendly and encouraging, but they're not.

I have a food allergy and now I have an even more limited diet for other health reasons, and I dread, absolutely dread, having to eat with other people. It's like people lose their minds when it comes to food. People will judge, mock, or harass you for what you're eating or not eating. If you don't eat, many will ramp up the pressure to an insane degree because for some reason they just CAN'T STAND that you're (gasp) not eating! This has never happened to me personally, but I've heard many stories of people not respecting or believing in other people's food allergies or dietary restrictions, and making people sick (sometimes dangerously sick) by serving them what they can't eat. What. The. Hell.

There's a reason I prefer not to dine out or at other people's homes now.

Rant over.

I have an egg sensitivity that borders on allergy, it doesn't cause my throat to swell up at this point but it's fricking uncomfortable. I don't do breakfast at restaurants because most things centered around breakfast mean eggs, and I keep getting told it's all in my head. Tell that to the hives, please tell that to the hives. 

19 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

Many people do seem to think kids require bland food.  I don't think thats right, but that could add to it.  I know my parents jumped in to try to save my 2 year old from eating a hot pepper, and he looked upset until I gave it back to him, he thought it was great, but older people in the US just don't think kids can eat that stuff.

My two year old wants his food to have flavor and rejects bland food. He loves salsa! We have even added salsa to vegetables to get him to eat them. My daughter is the opposite.

15 hours ago, SassyPants said:

This is one of those posts where an "absolute-freaking-lutely reaction is needed. When I'm serving unhealthy, likely lacking in basic nutrition food, my first thought isn't to blog about it, or to think I'm entitled to a public career because I'm doing things so much better than everyone else.

Not food shaming at all when you consider the source and the crap they've shoved down the public's throat for a decade.

you mean you don't want to see a picture of my kale salad and cocoa black brownie :D

instead I just post pictures of water 

18 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I freaking HATED the food inquisition at work! Just leave me alone and let me eat or not eat what I want. I'm an adult woman, I can manage that for myself, thanks! Please do not stare at me and make comments about the amount I'm eating. Please don't assume I'm trying to lose weight and then verbally chastise me for that. Please don't tell me I 'need' to eat more, or I 'can afford to' eat whatever. Thanks for your evaluation of my body, but you don't know why I eat the way I do, or what I'm eating at home (or even at work when you're not watching me), so please mind your own business.

And then the food pushers. My God, the food pushers. Almost every day there was a different dessert or treat brought in, and if you chose not to partake - especially if it was CAKE - God help you! I once had to say 'no thank you' to a woman pushing cake on me multiple times, and she still came back and slid a piece onto my desk. I have a food allergy and I can't eat anything like that from a bakery, but thanks for shoving it in my face anyway even after I said no multiple times, Debbie. 

I once went out for lunch with my bosses and coworker, and I just had a drink because I was still recovering from a stomach bug (which I told them, even before we left). All through lunch I was teased about not eating. JUST. STOP. I know people think they're being friendly and encouraging, but they're not.

I have a food allergy and now I have an even more limited diet for other health reasons, and I dread, absolutely dread, having to eat with other people. It's like people lose their minds when it comes to food. People will judge, mock, or harass you for what you're eating or not eating. If you don't eat, many will ramp up the pressure to an insane degree because for some reason they just CAN'T STAND that you're (gasp) not eating! This has never happened to me personally, but I've heard many stories of people not respecting or believing in other people's food allergies or dietary restrictions, and making people sick (sometimes dangerously sick) by serving them what they can't eat. What. The. Hell.

There's a reason I prefer not to dine out or at other people's homes now.

Rant over.

amen - the firemen in the lunch room when i was at the fire department would make fun of my fennel salad every single day. they didn't realize i had allergies....

8 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I have an egg sensitivity that borders on allergy, it doesn't cause my throat to swell up at this point but it's fricking uncomfortable. I don't do breakfast at restaurants because most things centered around breakfast mean eggs, and I keep getting told it's all in my head. Tell that to the hives, please tell that to the hives. 

That definitely sounds like a real allergy, not a sensitivity. Have you ever been tested? 

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

That definitely sounds like a real allergy, not a sensitivity. Have you ever been tested? 

Yes, about 10 years ago. It was a sensitivity at that point and could be getting worse with age. I consider myself lucky, my friend's Mom became lactose intolerant late in life and she lives in fear that cheese will desert her. 

I hated the food inquisition,too.I've gotten that when I was still working,and also from a brother,sons ,and in-laws.

When I was working,I ate with three co workers.Two of them used to bring food and share what they brought.I'd politely refuse,but sometimes I did accept and enjoyed what they brought.The other co worker used to food shame us.He'd say "Melon, you brought ..that???Yuck!"I'd fire you as my cook"...etc...I was drinking a diet Cheerwine...I got shamed for that..but he'd also say.."How can you eat that?" "I DON'T like that"....I'd say "Good.I brought it for me,not you".

My brother comments,too.When I eat something he doesn't like...my brother in law would look at you with digust,while you ate something he did not like.My mother in law was convinced that I could not boil water.I'm not a chef,by any means,and there are some things I do better than others,when it comes to that.

9 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Where's the Yum reaction button when you need it??????

The only cardinal rule I have for people with food at work.... DO NOT microwave seafood...period. ew. 

2 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Where's the Yum reaction button when you need it??????

I want and "interesting" button.... mostly for thoughts that I don't want to like exactly, but they are good food for thought..so interesting. We have this on ravelry, I like a lot of their buttons.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived