IGNORED

Seewalds 35: Silence is Golden

VaSportsMom

I thought millenials Graduated High School  2000 +.  Oh well.  

I am not a baby boomer, I don't feel like my generation has a name, sort of in between the Boomers the Summer of Love kids 

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a good way to put it. although still speaking of millenials, I feel like it should not be such a broad range of years.  one of my college professors a couple of years ago brought up a good point that since technology now and everything is changing like literally every 18 months, that sections of generations are showing up quicker now, as opposed to the past such as Boomers, etc.  He suggested there are sub generations about every 3 years now. including in the milennial generation

There is also research on those born between 95 and 98 that we actually struggle the most with technology rather than those older than us and definitely younger than us now.   Due to the fact that everything has advanced SO quickly since then. we had a slight glimpse of how great it was with previous technologies, VCRS and Cassette tapes and landlines and all the fun stuff that were familiar in our younger formative years and in turn this sub-generation struggles with the fact that society is the way it is now especially with its use of technology.  I know this is at least true for me and my close in age friends and family.  There's definitely something to this research.  not to say that older and younger people dont think the same thing, but its definitely an interesting tension to be in.  

6 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

Cue the "I remember I was...during 9/11 or The Challenger disaster". I think we just had a round of this in the last couple months and several times in the past. That's all :5624798e9d94f_No-clue-man-no-clue-shurg:.

Damn, well sorry. I can't exactly control whether my comments may or may not cause vaguely related thread drift after I post them. :pb_lol:

4 minutes ago, seashell1025 said:

That is a good way to put it. although still speaking of millenials, I feel like it should not be such a broad range of years.  one of my college professors a couple of years ago brought up a good point that since technology now and everything is changing like literally every 18 months, that sections of generations are showing up quicker now, as opposed to the past such as Boomers, etc.  He suggested there are sub generations about every 3 years now. including in the milennial generation

I can definitely see this being true. I'm a millennial, but so are my niece and nephew who are only 4 and 6 years younger than me. I see them posting stuff on facebook and instagram and I cannot relate. I don't know half of the lingo that they use or pop culture references that they make. I've always felt like I am much older than them than I actually am.

24 minutes ago, seashell1025 said:

There is also research on those born between 95 and 98 that we actually struggle the most with technology rather than those older than us and definitely younger than us now.   Due to the fact that everything has advanced SO quickly since then. we had a slight glimpse of how great it was with previous technologies, VCRS and Cassette tapes and landlines and all the fun stuff that were familiar in our younger formative years and in turn this sub-generation struggles with the fact that society is the way it is now especially with its use of technology.  I know this is at least true for me and my close in age friends and family.  There's definitely something to this research.  not to say that older and younger people dont think the same thing, but its definitely an interesting tension to be in.  

I can see that a bit both my brothers were born in that time period and while I'm only a few years older then both of them sometimes It feels like we are generations apart. 

6 minutes ago, seashell1025 said:

I think you can say that about any of these huge, generic groupings though. So much is up to not only where in the set generation you fall - but also geography, lifestyle, parents lifestyle etc...and even where THEY fell in their generation. Definitely the 5ish or so years on either end of a generation there is a ton of variation and cross over. 

I came across this interesting chart, it’s old, 2004, so I’d be interested if there were further breakdowns now with the younger generations, 

http://socialmarketing.org/archives/generations-xy-z-and-the-others/

Oh I feel like I'm ages older than my brother. 88 vs. 94. I can remember having 2 channels, he doesn't remember life before having hundreds of channels, he doesn't remember cassette tapes or using floppy disks and I really do, he didn't have the 90s "you need to type mentality from a young age and I did, he can barely remember 9/11 and I remember it vividly. Mostly the tech stuff though, remembering life before youtube was a thing, when google wasn't the main search engine, the beauty that was Windows 98, the sorrow when Windows XP was replaced by Vista; ok he should remember the XP thing but he doesn't! 

He's on PS4 and I'm still mourning my Super Nintendo! :) We're just different and we are technically only 6 years apart. 

Funny timing (on the 'who is a millenial' discussion)... my oldest (21) is home for a few days and one of her best friends (almost 21) was over visiting last night and a funny article popped up on my FB feed that said 'millenials killed mayonnaise'.  So I turned to them and said, "Hey, you guys killed mayonnaise"  and they both simulaneously said, "we're not millennials".  

I just checked wikipedia, expert at everything, and I guess the definition is up in the air and depends on who you ask.  Some people put the tail end in the earlier 90s, but some not until 2001 (in which case my daughter and her friend would indeed be millennials).

I'm a Boomer II . Thank you Mama Mia, that is very interesting. I've never quite understood where I fitted in. The Post-War Cohort description describes Mr GS's Elderly aunt perfectly. 

6 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Oh I feel like I'm ages older than my brother. 88 vs. 94. I can remember having 2 channels, he doesn't remember life before having hundreds of channels, he doesn't remember cassette tapes or using floppy disks and I really do, he didn't have the 90s "you need to type mentality from a young age and I did, he can barely remember 9/11 and I remember it vividly. Mostly the tech stuff though, remembering life before youtube was a thing, when google wasn't the main search engine, the beauty that was Windows 98, the sorrow when Windows XP was replaced by Vista; ok he should remember the XP thing but he doesn't! 

He's on PS4 and I'm still mourning my Super Nintendo! :) We're just different and we are technically only 6 years apart. 

Ooh this could be fun. lets see I remember dial up internet they have no clue what i'm talking about. I don't know if they've ever seen a corded phone or for that matter a pay phone. I remember when flip phones were cool and all there was they've always had smart phones. I still don't understand snap chat have a twitter I never use. only recently with in the last two years got an Instagram. didn't get a facebook till I was a senior in HS. 

So I am now confused all my life, I was told I was at the end of the baby boomers ( it was a very long generation that at one time included both my parents and me!)  Now, it appears that I am a gen xer, or a boomer II.....I give up!  ;)

My sister actually asked me once if I thought myself as a millennial or a Gen-Z kid and I said gen-z because I don't know what life was like pre-Star Wars prequels movies. 

I was born in 66, so that makes me a GenXer, but I identify more with BoomerII people because my friend group skewed older. 

I've also always thought that those of us who graduated from high school between 1983 and 1987 are a special micro-generation. We were the first analog/digital crossovers. 

The best line of demarcation I have read for separating Millennials and Post-millennials (or Gen Z) is 9/11. If you can remember it, you are a Millennial, if you cannot, you are a Post-Millennial.

3 hours ago, Irishy said:

Well that does it. I’m Gen X. I was born in ‘79 but I remember Challenger vividly 

Nah, you're a Xennial like me (if you want to be).

I usually hear/read of it being described as born during the time the original Star Wars trilogy was released. We  experienced the major shift from corded phones to smart phones, cassette tapes and boom boxes to iPods and mp3s, learned computers when they were green text on black screens (original Oregon Trail). I definitely relate more to this mini-generation than a lot of the GenX stuff.

https://mymodernmet.com/are-you-a-xennial/

https://www.businessinsider.com/xennials-born-between-millennials-and-gen-x-2017-11#by-the-time-xennials-were-20-years-old-the-music-industry-had-changed-completely-instead-of-buying-cassette-tapes-you-could-download-songs-on-napster-6

3 hours ago, xlurker said:

So I am now confused all my life, I was told I was at the end of the baby boomers ( it was a very long generation that at one time included both my parents and me!)  Now, it appears that I am a gen xer, or a boomer II.....I give up!  ;)

I know, right? On a side note, what the hell is this "Generation Jones" label? I also think I identify with some of the Gen X description.  

20 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

I know, right? On a side note, what the hell is this "Generation Jones" label? I also think I identify with some of the Gen X description.  

I decided to wiki this and here is what I found. 

The name "Generation Jones" has several connotations, including a large anonymous generation, a "keeping up with the Joneses" competitiveness and the slang word "jones" or "jonesing", meaning a yearning or craving.[9][10][11][12] It is said[by whom?] that Jonesers were given huge expectations as children in the 1960s, and then confronted with a different reality as they came of age during a long period of mass unemployment and when de-industrialization arrived full force in the mid-late 1970s and 1980s, leaving them with a certain unrequited "jonesing" quality for the more prosperous days of the past.

The generation is noted for coming of age after a huge swath of their older brothers and sisters in the earlier portion of the baby boomer population had come immediately preceding them; thus, many Generation Jones members complain that there was a paucity of resources and privileges available to them that were seemingly abundant to those older boomers born earlier. Therefore, there is a certain level of bitterness about and a "jonesing" for the level of freedom and affluence granted to older boomers but denied to their generation.[13]

The term has enjoyed some currency in political and cultural commentary, including during the 2008 United States presidential election, where Generation Jonesers Barack Obamaand Sarah Palin were on presidential tickets.

I'm a Millennial ('87) and I read an article somewhere that within the strictly Millennial age group there is even a difference between Older Millennials (80-89) and Younger Millennials (90-98)...like our experience has been different. Especially given the Market crash of 2007-2009...hit older ones harder and their outlook on life is different because we were all trying to graduate college and couldn't find jobs. The younger ones were shielded by college and a bettering economy and don't have that attitude.

4 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Ooh this could be fun. lets see I remember dial up internet they have no clue what i'm talking about. I don't know if they've ever seen a corded phone or for that matter a pay phone. I remember when flip phones were cool and all there was they've always had smart phones. I still don't understand snap chat have a twitter I never use. only recently with in the last two years got an Instagram. didn't get a facebook till I was a senior in HS. 

i still have five cassette tapes from taping a tv show back in 1985 (v) with a cassette tape recorder. 

i adore instagram. 

2 minutes ago, nst said:

i still have five cassette tapes from taping a tv show back in 1985 (v) with a cassette tape recorder. 

i adore instagram. 

LOL you just made me think about how my grandma and Grandpa would tape all my shows for me so I could watch them on the weekend when I visited them. I had so many tv shows on VHS growing up.  I remember when DVD were just becoming popular I got a few for Christmas didn't even own a DVD player. 

5 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I think you can say that about any of these huge, generic groupings though. So much is up to not only where in the set generation you fall - but also geography, lifestyle, parents lifestyle etc...and even where THEY fell in their generation. Definitely the 5ish or so years on either end of a generation there is a ton of variation and cross over. 

I came across this interesting chart, it’s old, 2004, so I’d be interested if there were further breakdowns now with the younger generations, 

http://socialmarketing.org/archives/generations-xy-z-and-the-others/

Valid point!  I agree.  That's true, though I think people fail to realize that sometimes, which may or may not help the stereotypes that we give the different generations.  

also that is a very interesting chart! If we are going by this one, the cutoff of Gen Y and the beginning of Gen Z is 94-95, so yeah, it is definitely living in the tension of being in the "middle" of generations per se.  

13 minutes ago, nst said:

I remember when flip phones were cool and all there was they've always had smart phones

Again, I guess I have always lived on the edge of things.  Haha, My first phone was a Motorola Razr (so dang cool. i miss it so much still honestly) but I got it in 7th grade (2009). By the end of 9th grade (2011ish) all of the cool kids were getting iphone 4's and that was when the boom of people in my area at least started getting them. I got my first iphone in 2013. Of course, at that time I was living in tiny town rural northern Michigan.. so the latest trends don't usually travel there first :P 

I got my first flip phone in 2006! I thought that I was so cool. Now I look at my iPhone and think about how much has changed in 12 years! My second phone was one of those texting phones with the built in keyboard, it was purple and indestructible. My third phone was a Samsung Galaxy, it was my first smartphone. And now I'm onto iPhone, but I drool over Google Pixels! 

52 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

LOL you just made me think about how my grandma and Grandpa would tape all my shows for me so I could watch them on the weekend when I visited them. I had so many tv shows on VHS growing up.  I remember when DVD were just becoming popular I got a few for Christmas didn't even own a DVD player. 

i remember buying vhs tapes endlessly to tape stuff.  Scary how much I spent. 

I had endless tapes of DOOL :D

i still have the first wedding of J&J - that and the episode where Dr. Greene kills the baby on ER. I should get rid of them. 

6 minutes ago, nst said:

i remember buying vhs tapes endlessly to tape stuff.  Scary how much I spent. 

I had endless tapes of DOOL :D

i still have the first wedding of J&J - that and the episode where Dr. Greene kills the baby on ER. I should get rid of them. 

Check eBay first. My kid had a huge collection of Disney VHS - she de-cluttered and donated them, and then discovered they were worth $$$

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived