IGNORED

Branch Trumpvidians 2: The Basket of Deplorables

Destiny

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/11/2019 at 5:46 PM, AmazonGrace said:

How on Rufus's green Earth are they going to

• Does he understand geography and understand he has to cover 2,000 some odd miles through sometimes desolate terrain?
  • Does he really believe he can buy all the land from people who will keep him tied up in court for decades?
  • Does he understand the word permit?
  • Does he know an undertaking like that would need in effect a rolling city for the workers?
  • Does he have the money to pay for the insurance?
  • Dose he know who will provide security?
  • Does he know where the exact border is between Mexico and the States? Because if he doesn't he is either going to be giving up American soil to Mexico or illegally building in Mexico

Please note: All questions above are obliviously rhetorical and I don't expect answers.  I'm just beyond fed up. 

"I drew the ‘Cry Baby’ heard round the world. (No, it wasn’t Trump.)"

Spoiler

I worked as an artist in the sports department of the New York Daily News. The Yankees and Mets, the Giants and Jets, the Knicks and Nets were my daily targets. But one November evening in 1995, our editor in chief, Martin Dunn, wanted a political cartoon for Page One. I was on my way out the door, ready to take my young son to a basketball game. Instead, I spent a couple of hours with my pen and paintbrush adding a diaper, a baby bottle and a few fat teardrops to the exaggerated features of a grown man. The cartoon would become part of America’s shutdown lore.

The man was Newt Gingrich, speaker of the House. That morning at a breakfast, he copped to forcing a government shutdown, then in its second day, because of a petty grievance. He had returned from Israel a week earlier with President Bill Clinton and former presidents Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush. Together they’d attended the funeral of Yitzhak Rabin, the assassinated prime minister. Unlike the presidents, Gingrich (R-Ga.) was made to exit from the rear of Air Force One. The News’s Washington columnist, Lars-Erik Nelson, had the scoop.

At the breakfast, Nelson reported, Gingrich held forth, candidly expressing his outrage over the snub on the recent trip. “Here was Newt Gingrich, leader of the Republican Revolution and defender of civilization on this planet, forced to sit for 25 hours in the back of Air Force One, waiting for President Clinton to stop by and negotiate a budget deal,” Nelson wrote. He waited in vain. And so the government shut down. “I’m going to say up front it’s petty,” Gingrich said at the breakfast, “but I think it’s human. When you land at Andrews and you’ve been on the plane for 25 hours and nobody has talked to you and they ask you to get off by the back ramp . . . you just wonder, where is their sense of manners, where is their sense of courtesy?”

Dunn already had his headline when I got the assignment: “Cry Baby.” My job was almost too easy. My brother took my son to the basketball game while I wrapped up the art.

Today, you’d say it went viral. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), who was then in the House — and now, as Senate minority leader, is a key player in the current shutdown — was one of several Democrats who exhibited a giant poster of our front page at the Capitol. (Worried Republicans quickly voted to have it removed. They said it violated House rules that forbid showing disrespect to the speaker.)

image.png.77e340ef8070d09815aea3e203237583.png

Mockery is a powerful instrument. Dunn said that before Nelson died, he called it one of the only front pages that changed politics. Gingrich’s political influence and reputation never recovered. He and his party were blamed for that shutdown, which ended within a couple of days but was followed by another less than a month later. That one lasted 21 days , the longest in U.S. history until the current one overtook it this weekend. Gingrich came to be seen — perhaps partly as a result of that cartoon — as a petulant contrarian and a hypocrite rather than a conservative visionary. Seventeen years later, when he ran for president, protesters carrying the “Cry Baby” poster followed him on the campaign trail.

My only regret is that I left the News in 2015 after 46 years, before Donald Trump became president. On Wednesday, Trump abruptly left a shutdown meeting with Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.). “We saw a temper tantrum because he couldn’t get his way,” Schumer told reporters afterward.

I’ve seen this cartoon before.

I truly despise Newt. It's eerie how much the cartoon of him matches cartoons of Dumpy.

14 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

"I drew the ‘Cry Baby’ heard round the world. (No, it wasn’t Trump.)"

Hide contents

I worked as an artist in the sports department of the New York Daily News. The Yankees and Mets, the Giants and Jets, the Knicks and Nets were my daily targets. But one November evening in 1995, our editor in chief, Martin Dunn, wanted a political cartoon for Page One. I was on my way out the door, ready to take my young son to a basketball game. Instead, I spent a couple of hours with my pen and paintbrush adding a diaper, a baby bottle and a few fat teardrops to the exaggerated features of a grown man. The cartoon would become part of America’s shutdown lore.

The man was Newt Gingrich, speaker of the House. That morning at a breakfast, he copped to forcing a government shutdown, then in its second day, because of a petty grievance. He had returned from Israel a week earlier with President Bill Clinton and former presidents Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush. Together they’d attended the funeral of Yitzhak Rabin, the assassinated prime minister. Unlike the presidents, Gingrich (R-Ga.) was made to exit from the rear of Air Force One. The News’s Washington columnist, Lars-Erik Nelson, had the scoop.

At the breakfast, Nelson reported, Gingrich held forth, candidly expressing his outrage over the snub on the recent trip. “Here was Newt Gingrich, leader of the Republican Revolution and defender of civilization on this planet, forced to sit for 25 hours in the back of Air Force One, waiting for President Clinton to stop by and negotiate a budget deal,” Nelson wrote. He waited in vain. And so the government shut down. “I’m going to say up front it’s petty,” Gingrich said at the breakfast, “but I think it’s human. When you land at Andrews and you’ve been on the plane for 25 hours and nobody has talked to you and they ask you to get off by the back ramp . . . you just wonder, where is their sense of manners, where is their sense of courtesy?”

Dunn already had his headline when I got the assignment: “Cry Baby.” My job was almost too easy. My brother took my son to the basketball game while I wrapped up the art.

Today, you’d say it went viral. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), who was then in the House — and now, as Senate minority leader, is a key player in the current shutdown — was one of several Democrats who exhibited a giant poster of our front page at the Capitol. (Worried Republicans quickly voted to have it removed. They said it violated House rules that forbid showing disrespect to the speaker.)

image.png.77e340ef8070d09815aea3e203237583.png

Mockery is a powerful instrument. Dunn said that before Nelson died, he called it one of the only front pages that changed politics. Gingrich’s political influence and reputation never recovered. He and his party were blamed for that shutdown, which ended within a couple of days but was followed by another less than a month later. That one lasted 21 days , the longest in U.S. history until the current one overtook it this weekend. Gingrich came to be seen — perhaps partly as a result of that cartoon — as a petulant contrarian and a hypocrite rather than a conservative visionary. Seventeen years later, when he ran for president, protesters carrying the “Cry Baby” poster followed him on the campaign trail.

My only regret is that I left the News in 2015 after 46 years, before Donald Trump became president. On Wednesday, Trump abruptly left a shutdown meeting with Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.). “We saw a temper tantrum because he couldn’t get his way,” Schumer told reporters afterward.

I’ve seen this cartoon before.

I truly despise Newt. It's eerie how much the cartoon of him matches cartoons of Dumpy.

My name for him during the 1996 shutdown was The Demonic Baby

5 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

There are people to ride every train and some got left on the station. 

-my grandma-

When God was passing out brains she thought god said 'trains' to which she replied "no thanks, I'll take the bus". 

When God was passing out brains she thought god said 'trains' to which she replied "no thanks, I'll take the bus". 

Isn’t she the same one who handcuffed herself to Twitter HQ it was that some other Branch Trumpvidian?

I hope she’s jailed for this stunt.

46 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Isn’t she the same one who handcuffed herself to Twitter HQ it was that some other Branch Trumpvidian?

I hope she’s jailed for this stunt.

She's also the one who got upset about someone slashing a tire on her car, posted a picture on Twitter to prove it, and then got mad when people explained to her that the tire hadn't actually been slashed.

https://www.boredpanda.com/fake-slashed-tire-tweet-laura-loomer/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

If she was driving around on six year old tires, I'm betting her vehicle hasn't had any routine maintenance done in years. :shakehead:

She's also the one who got upset about someone slashing a tire on her car, posted a picture on Twitter to prove it, and then got mad when people explained to her that the tire hadn't actually been slashed.
https://www.boredpanda.com/fake-slashed-tire-tweet-laura-loomer/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic
If she was driving around on six year old tires, I'm betting her vehicle hasn't had any routine maintenance done in years. :shakehead:

Yeah I was reading about some of her other misadventures. Such as riding service elevators, disrupting hearings, trials, and political rallies.

If I was a judge and she disrupted my courtroom I’d send her away for contempt as long as I could.

Ben Shapiro is worried that time travelers will hurt Baby Hitler. 

I have no fucking use for these Reich to life types. They don’t give two shits about human life once it exits the womb and sure as fuck don’t care about the mother at any point before, during, or after pregnancy.

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Trumpkins are trying to birther Kamala Harris now

To be precise, it's our dear friend, Jacob Wohl tweeting this, the kid who tried to accuse Mueller of sexual harassment last year. He had a press co and everything, but the alleged victim never showed and he had no proof. He had his 15 minutes of fame though, and I guess he's trying for seconds with this ridiculous claim.

"The MAGA hat is not a statement of policy. It’s an inflammatory declaration of identity."

Spoiler

The bright red Make America Great Again baseball cap entered the popular culture as candidate Donald Trump’s political swag. It has transformed into an open wound, a firestorm of hate and a marker of societal atavism.

An aesthetically benign baseball cap is a 21st-century grotesquerie.

Has there been in recent memory any other item of clothing — so specific in design and color — that pits neighbors against each other, causes classroom altercations, sparks both rage and fear, and ultimately alludes to little more than a mirage?

Fashion has upset the populace before. Miniskirts were an affront to tradition and decorum. Baggy jeans and hoodies riled the establishment. “Black Lives Matter” T-shirts and pink pussy hats were created to send a message of political protest.

But the Make America Great Again hat is not a statement of policy. It’s a declaration of identity.

The MAGA hat. The acronym reads like a guttural cry. An angry roar. MAA-GAA! It calls out to a time — back in some sepia-tinged period — when America was greater than it is now, which for a lot of Americans means a time when this country still had a lot of work to do before it was even tolerant — let alone welcoming — of them and their kind. Some see an era of single-income families, picket fences and unlocked doors. Others see little more than the heartbreak of redlining, walkers and beards, and the “problem that has no name.”

The past was not greater; it is simply the past. It’s only the soft-focus, judicious edit that looks so perfect and sweet.

In the beginning, the MAGA hat had multiple meanings and nuance. It could reasonably be argued that it was about foreign policy or tax cuts, social conservatism, the working class or a celebration of small-town life. But the definition has evolved. The rosy nostalgia has turned specious and rank. There’s nothing banal or benign about the hat, no matter its wearer’s intent. It was weaponized by the punch-throwing Trump rallygoers, the Charlottesville white supremacists, Trump’s nomination of Supreme Court Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh, Kanye West and proponents of the wall, the wall, the wall.

The hat has become a symbol of us versus them, of exclusion and suspicion, of garrulous narcissism, of white male privilege, of violence and hate. For minorities and the disenfranchised, it can spark a kind of gut-level disgust that brings ancestral ghosts to the fore. And here, in 2019, their painful past is present.

The MAGA hat speaks to America’s greatness with lies of omission and contortion. To wear a MAGA hat is to wrap oneself in a Confederate flag. The look may be more modern and the fit more precise, but it’s just as woeful and ugly.

To wear the hat, is to take on history and divisiveness. Because whatever personal meaning might be attached to the hat, the new broader cultural meaning overrides. It is too late to save the hat from this fate. And it’s too soon to try to reclaim it and give it new life.

The hat figured prominently in the viral video of young Nick Sandmann’s eye-to-eye encounter with the elderly Native American drummer, Nathan Phillips, at the Lincoln Memorial. Sandmann stood his ground. He had every right to remain there, the high schooler said during an interview on “Today.” Sandmann did not seem to consider whether it was actually the right thing to do.

How drastically his appearance changed from the fateful moment on the Mall to his appearance on national television. The world met Sandmann when he was wearing a red MAGA hat and a quilted parka. His mouth was turned up in a thin, wide smile that occasionally expanded into a toothy one. When he appeared on television to defend himself against accusations of racism and disrespect, he wore a heather gray zip-front pullover and a button-down shirt. His short brown hair was shiny. His large eyes rarely blinked. His voice was flat. The MAGA hat was gone.

Journalist Savannah Guthrie asked him whether he thought the public outrage over his behavior might have been different were it not for the hat. “That’s possible,” Sandmann said, which was his most self-aware utterance of the interview.

Last year, Kanye West knew that he was tossing a hand grenade into the social media universe when he tweeted a photograph of himself wearing a MAGA hat. It was a contrarian moment, an attempt to get a rise out of people — and, of course, he did.

The hat is a provocation. Is its corrosiveness too much for high school students to understand? No. They have studied American history. They can sort through complex issues related to the Second Amendment, climate change and abortion to not only have an opinion but also organize to change the opinion of others. They are digital natives who understand the power of images. Armed with so much knowledge, it is, perhaps, a more jolting loss, a graver reality, when youth is wrecked by the acid hatred symbolized by a hat.

To deny the hat’s message is to be in denial — not about a misunderstanding or an unfortunate incident, but a familiar, festering truth.

Blistering op-ed by Alyssa Milano.

Red MAGA Hats Are the New White Hoods – Let’s Take a Stand (Commentary)

Last week, a group of boys engaged with a Native American man beating a tribal drum. The exchange was caught on video. And watching that video, each of us saw what we wanted to see. Because the divisions in this country are so deep they’re fossilized.

Still, some things in that video cannot be disputed–no matter what angle or how extended the cut is. These boys, who attend a religious school, were there on a school trip protesting against a woman’s right to reproductive freedom. Several of these boys were wearing red MAGA hats, a hat that has become synonymous with white nationalism and racism. Several were doing a “tomahawk chop.” Several were laughing.

When I saw that video, I saw boys flaunting their entitlement and displaying toxic masculinity. It seemed to me like they were reflecting the white nationalism and racism that the hats on their heads have come to represent.

I sent out a tweet that read, “The red MAGA hat is the new white hood.” Right-wing pundits and anonymous trolls alike screamed for my head–literally and figuratively. My husband received death threats on his cell phone. Many demanded an apology.

Here’s the thing: I was right.

So, I won’t apologize to these boys. Or anyone who wears that hat. But I will thank them. I will thank them for lighting a fire underneath the conversation about systemic racism and misogyny in this country and the role President Donald Trump has had in cultivating it and making it acceptable.

Trump comes by his white nationalism honestly. Maybe even genetically. In 1927 his father Fred Trump was arrested along with six other men after a Klan parade in Jamaica, New York, aimed at keeping Catholic immigrants out of America. While the younger Trump denies his father was ever there, arrest records are clear, and a news report of the time reported that all seven men arrested were “berobed.” It appears irrefutable that the father of the President of the United States was in the Ku Klux Klan.

Fred Trump’s racist practices in his residential real estate holdings caused iconic American songwriter Woody Guthrie to write about the “color line” that “Old Man Trump” brought into the neighborhood. And by the time the President took over management of the business, multiple lawsuits were filed against it for racial bias in housing.

And by the time he ran for President, Trump bleated themes that would have appealed to those same Klan marchers who were arrested with his father in 1927: Build a wall to keep immigrants out. Ban Muslim immigrants. America first.

Make America Great Again.

David Duke endorsed him (which Trump initially refused to disavow). Racists flocked to his rallies. And they proudly put on the red hats.

Let me be clear: I’m not saying everyone who voted for Trump is a racist. I’m saying that everyone who proudly wears the red hat identifies with an ideology of white supremacy and misogyny. Everyone who proudly wears those hats gives a tacit endorsement for the hatred and the violence we’ve seen these past few years.

When the Unite the Right chanted “Jews will not replace us,” the Red Hats were there.

When young children were being torn from their families at the border and forced to represent themselves in immigration court, the Red Hats were there.

When Muslims were banned from coming to live in this country, the Red Hats were there.

When there was a white lives matter rally, the Red Hats were there.

When black protestors were assaulted at a Trump rally, the Red Hats were there.

When the Proud Boys teamed up with Neo Nazis, the Red Hats were there.

When a terrorist mailed pipe bombs to prominent political leaders and activists, many of whom were Jewish, the Red Hats were there.

And when a boys school sent a group of students to protest against a women’s right to bodily autonomy, the Red Hats were there.

This isn’t like wearing the hat of a sports team you love. These hats symbolize hate. They signal to others an embrace of policies of discrimination, oppression and exclusion.

The Red Hats are demanding an apology from me for a tweet that compares red hats to white hoods. And maybe it isn’t the same. After all, years ago, racists like Fred Trump put on the hood to hide. There is no hiding with the Red Hats. Only pride.

Still, you know what? I am sorry. I’m sorry for the decades and decades of oppression and abuses people of color have faced in this country. I’m sorry that as part of a privileged white majority we did not stop this Administration from happening. I’m sorry to those who have suffered at the hands of the Red Hats and the policies their leadership implements. See, I’m not apologizing to the Red Hats. I’m apologizing for them.

Part of making amends with our history is making sure it doesn’t repeat itself. I will not be silent. I will not be intimidated. Everywhere these hateful acts occur, everywhere I see a Red Hat stop a person of color from thriving, everywhere I see a Red Hat get between a woman and her body, a person needing asylum and the safety we can offer, a child and her parents–I’ll be there. I’ll be loud. And I know I’m not alone.

Sorry not sorry.

"‘Trump will handle this’: Florida man tried to force Iraqi family out of his neighborhood, police say"

Spoiler

David Allen Boileau kept saying, “the U.S. needs to get rid of all of them,” meaning Middle Easterners, according to police, but for the time being he was focused on getting rid of the neighbors.

The neighbors were an Iraqi family, four children and their mother. They had lived in their neighborhood in Holiday, Fla., longer than Boileau had, said Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco. But the 58-year-old seemed to be on a mission to force them out, going to new heights this week, Nocco said.

First, on Monday, he threw screws and nails at a vehicle pulling out of the family’s driveway, apparently in hopes of damaging the car or flattening the tires, according to a police report. “We’ll get rid of them one way or another,” he said during the incident, according to witnesses cited by the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office.

Then, on Tuesday, he burglarized their home, according to the police report.

When the cops arrived, called to the home by a watchful neighbor, Boileau said about the family: “They don’t belong here.”

“If [I don’t] get rid of them,” Boileau said, according to the police report, “Trump will handle it.”

Nocco said Wednesday that the case is now being investigated as a hate crime after Boileau admitted to walking into their home and then rifling through their mail, all while denigrating Middle Eastern immigrants and making clear that he felt it was his personal duty to oust the family. He was charged with burglary Tuesday but has denied taking anything from the home. The mother said her wallet was missing from her purse when she arrived home from picking up her children from school, though it was not recovered on Boileau when he was arrested.

Nocco said his office has contacted the FBI.

“He said he does not like them,” Nocco said, describing Boileau as openly “anti-Middle Eastern.” “He wished they weren’t in the community — which is ironic, because he’s the one who moved into our community.”

It all unfolded Tuesday as Lonny Cox, another neighbor, was sitting inside his garage when he looked up to see a man, apparently Boileau, snooping around the Iraqi family’s house. He seemed to be peering into the windows, banging on them and yelling things, Cox told police.

Cox saw him walk around the side of the house and lost sight of him. The next thing he knew, Boileau was walking out from the family’s front door. He waltzed on over to their mailbox, looked inside and began rifling through the letters, Cox said, prompting him to call the cops.

When police arrived, they saw Boileau walking alongside the road. According to the report, he told police that, yes, he had gone into the family’s home through the unlocked back door and, yes, looked through their mail after leaving through the front door. He claimed he spotted “immigration paperwork."

“This family was living here peacefully,” Nocco said. “Those children should feel welcomed in this community. This is something that’s just absolutely horrific.”

Nocco said the family had lived at the residence for three years, longer than Boileau, but said it was unclear when exactly Boileau arrived.

Boileau’s attorney could not immediately be reached for comment.

Trump is a supercomputer y'all 

if he says something dumb it's because he's too smart for this world

"Christian" broadcaster guest now claims Branch Trumpvidians are treated like blacks were in the ’50s and 60s’

According to a bio of Christopher McDonald, he “has a passion to encourage, edify and exhort and offer a passionate defense of the true gospel of Jesus Christ to the world at large.” While he’s doing that, he’s also apparently passionate about encouraging, edifying, and exhorting the idea that supporters of President Trump are oppressed in the same way African Americans were during the Jim Crow era.

On yesterday’s episode of his show “The MC Files,” McDonald’s guest Shari Wassell asserted that white conservative Christian Trump supporters are now the targets of systematic discrimination.

“Between that and Roger Stone, an associate of Trump’s [who is white], it reminds me of all the things from the late 50’s/early 60’s, the way people were treated,” she continued. “The left is taking us back to the counter at Woolworth’s. I hate it. It’s despicable and it’s happening again.”

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic

Archived