• Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Destiny

Russian Connection 5: In Which We Plan Sleepovers

AmazonGrace

Coming soon to a Senate near you.

Howl
Posted (edited)

It's now been three full months without a Secretary of Defense. 

TaskandPurpose.com noted today that US halts F-35 equipment shipments to Turkey over its planned purchase of Russian missile defense system.    This likely won't get much coverage, but I'm going to root around and try to find some web sites that cover it. 

Several  key defense elements and players are converging this week: NATO Summit in DC, Russian missile system sales to Turkey, US jet sales to Turkey, Turkish Foreign Minister in DC for NATO summit. 

This will be an opportunity to see how Trump and his minions (I include Acting SecDef Shanahan in that category) handle this critical scenario of competing interests.  My sense is that  Mattis would have been all over this with a hard-core strategy of strengthening NATO ties,  schooling Turkey on the protection of  US interests while igniting a flash-bang in Putin's ass.

Shanahan is a Boeing man through and through, the F-35 is Lockneed Martin, and Shanahan has to prove his loyalty to Trump by not getting between the standing arrangement between Trumpy and Vlad. 

Trust me, it's complicated. 

The U.S. decision on the F-35s was expected to complicate Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu's planned visit to Washington this week for a NATO summit. The latest development in the F-35 dispute came a day after Erdogan suffered one of his biggest electoral losses in decades in local elections.

and then there's this problem.  Turkey manufactures important parts of the F-35: 

Reuters reported last week that Washington was exploring whether it could remove Turkey from production of the F-35. Turkey makes parts of the fuselage, landing gear and cockpit displays. Sources familiar with the F-35's intricate worldwide production process and U.S. thinking on the issue last week said Turkey's role can be replaced.

and then also this dicey problem

The United States and other NATO allies that own F-35s fear the radar on the Russian S-400 missile system will learn how to spot and track the jet, making it less able to evade Russian weapons in the future.

Edited by Howl

fraurosena

Interesting summary of 50 of Trump’s Russian connections that are known in the public domain.