IGNORED

United States Congress 5: Still Looking for a Spine

Destiny

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Lindsey Graham, Still Looking for a Spine

I wonder if he's getting tired of all the flip-flopping he's doing.

Graham invited Ivanka Trump to McCain's funeral

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), a close friend of the late Sen. John McCain(R-Ariz.), reportedly invited Ivanka Trump to McCain’s funeral in Washington on Saturday.

Graham invited Trump after she offered him her condolences this week during a meeting on Capitol Hill, The New York Times reported. A White House official who spoke to the Times on the condition of anonymity said Graham cleared Trump's invitation with McCain's wife, Cindy McCain.

Before his death, McCain specifically requested Ivanka Trump's father, President Trump, not be invited to attend his funeral.

McCain and the president frequently clashed during his administration and on the campaign trail prior to President Trump's election.

Shortly after announcing his candidacy, Trump denounced McCain's service in the Vietnam War, famously saying "He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren't captured." McCain was tortured as a prisoner of war in Vietnam for more than five years.

President Trump also repeatedly lashed out at McCain for breaking with his party last year to vote against a GOP repeal of the Affordable Care Act. 

McCain, in turn, criticized many of the president’s policies on foreign and domestic issues, as well as his rhetoric toward the media.

McCain died on Aug. 25 at age 81 after a more than year-long battle with an aggressive form of brain cancer. He was widely regarded as a "maverick" and "hero" by those across the political spectrum during his decades-long career as a senator.

President Trump tweeted about trade and special counsel Robert Mueller's probe into possible ties between his campaign and Russia during McCain's funeral on Saturday morning. He spent Saturday afternoon at his golf club in Northern Virginia.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's also this interview. At first he waxes poetic about values and his friendship with McCain and what all he learned from McCain's courage... and then talking about what he will do now that McCain is gone, well, he is going to help Trump to be successful. Because values. Because America. Or something.  It's like he didn't understand a word that he was saying.

Our rather useless Iowa 1st district Rep Rod Blum is whining again because the media doesn't genuflect in front of him or any time his name is mentioned.

For a second time in a week, Rod Blum, Iowa's First District congressman, is alleging media bias.

In a Friday evening tweet, the Republican questioned the ethics of Ryan Foley, an Associated Press reporter, after he asked the congressman's staff a question about Blum's membership in a Facebook group called "Tea Party.”

As of Saturday afternoon, Blum's account was still listed as a member of the Facebook Tea Party group. Members frequently post politically-charged memes, such as a call for a ban of Islamic religions or criticism of the late Sen. John McCain and his daughter, referring to them as “RINO”s or Republican In Name Only.

It was earlier this week, Blum's other Twitter account went after KCRG-TV9 following an interview last year. In it, TV9's Josh Scheinblum asked Blum about a First District I.D. requirement to attend the congressman's upcoming town hall meeting.

I'd tell him to grow a thicker skin but I don't want to help him.  I want him to go down in flames in November so that IA-1 has at least some representation in Congress again.

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

This is just willful obstruction. And incredibly stupid and short-sighted. Because what’s their narrative in this? No you can’t have them, executive priviledge! But ok, here, you can have a couple anyway on the night before the hearings so you can stop moaning?

Do they believe they’re outsmarting the opposition, by obstructing the democratic process in such an overt and obvious way?

Do they think this will endear them to the voting public?

3 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Do they think this will endear them to the voting public?

It isn't about that. It is about the fact that even if the voting public hates them they will have gotten enough judges in place that they can rule long after they are gone. They can reshape America even if they are hated by America. 

5 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

It isn't about that. It is about the fact that even if the voting public hates them they will have gotten enough judges in place that they can rule long after they are gone. They can reshape America even if they are hated by America. 

Oh, I understand that. I guess I should have used the sarcasm font there. There will be repercussions for their actions though. More than they think. 

And I wonder what will happen if, with time, it is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is an illegal presiduncy and by extension illegal administration. Logically all things 'accomplished' by this administration will be deemed illegal as well. If so, then any confirmation by this administration will also be illegal. So buh-bye Kavanaugh, buh-bye Gorsuch. 

I really hope this will happen, as it would be the most democratic thing to do.

27 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Oh, I understand that. I guess I should have used the sarcasm font there. There will be repercussions for their actions though. More than they think. 

And I wonder what will happen if, with time, it is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is an illegal presiduncy and by extension illegal administration. Logically all things 'accomplished' by this administration will be deemed illegal as well. If so, then any confirmation by this administration will also be illegal. So buh-bye Kavanaugh, buh-bye Gorsuch. 

I really hope this will happen, as it would be the most democratic thing to do.

The problem is there is nothing in the Constitution to account for this.

On 9/2/2018 at 11:40 AM, AmazonGrace said:

GOP brainiac doesn't understand climate science so instead of buying a book he buys fossils.

Congressman Culberson's (R-Nitwit) district is this weird seahorse shaped thing that extends out to the northwest from the center of Houston = gerrymandered.  They got slammed by Hurricane Harvey a year ago, so Rep. Culberson (R-Swamp) needs to work harder,  a lot harder, to understand climate science.  

And because I never pass up a chance to share the climate scientist song (NSFW verson), and because I know it will help Rep. Culberson (R-Ignoramus) be at least marginally less of a shit-for-brains, 

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Logically all things 'accomplished' by this administration will be deemed illegal as well. If so, then any confirmation by this administration will also be illegal. So buh-bye Kavanaugh, buh-bye Gorsuch. 

I'm not going to keep my fingers crossed for this. The GOP has been working towards this for decades, they will become vicious if it looks like the judges they put in place will be removed. I'm guessing they will claim that while Trump was elected illegally, they were not and they were the ones who confirmed the judges therefore the judges are there legally. 

I think realistically we need to face the fact that the GOP is working overtime to stack the judicial system to be in their favor and that it will be very difficult to change this. 

4 hours ago, Ali said:

The problem is there is nothing in the Constitution to account for this.

The fact that the Constitution does not foresee in this, does not relinquish politicians of the responsibility of adequately responding to wrongs being done to democracy. I don't believe for one second the Founders would not do so if they were alive today. Furthermore, constitutions are not set in stone. Amendments can be made. it is far beyond time the American Constitution is held against a modern light and altered to fit contemporary American society. That does not mean the basic principles laid out by the Founding Fathers should be let go of. But it is entirely possible to still embrace the values they set out for America and modernize the Constitution. 

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

I'm not going to keep my fingers crossed for this. The GOP has been working towards this for decades, they will become vicious if it looks like the judges they put in place will be removed. I'm guessing they will claim that while Trump was elected illegally, they were not and they were the ones who confirmed the judges therefore the judges are there legally. 

I think realistically we need to face the fact that the GOP is working overtime to stack the judicial system to be in their favor and that it will be very difficult to change this. 

When that blue tide happens, they will be voted out of office and have no say in the matter anymore. 

I realize it will be a stretch to see so much of what the GOP and this administration has done being overturned very quickly, but the events of the past two years have awoken the American public to all the corruption and the hollowing out of the democratic processes.  Will the people stand idly by if none of it is made undone? I'm not so sure...

There's been a lot of blood under the bridge in the last few days, but remember back to a long long time ago (was it last week?) when Duncan Hunter was charged with misusing a lot of campaign funds ($250,000), then blamed it all on his wife?  Well, it gets better, a lot better.  So. Much. Better.  

Duncan Hunter Spent Campaign Cash On 5 Affairs, Prosecutors Allege

Hunter and his wife, Margaret, were indicted on 60 charges last month for allegedly misusing $250,000 in campaign funds on lavish vacations and dinners.

Juicy excerpts from HuffPo's article: 

The San Diego Union-Tribune is now reporting that the 47-page charging document alleges that the congressman had “personal relationships” with at least five individuals, none of whom are identified.

But Hunter's lawyer has this to say about that

“This is true even for personal indiscretions of the congressman that the prosecutors seem intent on charging,” Vega wrote. “The supposed reason given for including these details is that they reflect spending of campaign funds for extramarital infidelities and excessive drinking.”

There's flop sweat and desperation on Hunter's part, there are photos, but his lawyer isn't taking this lying down! 

Vega [Hunter's lawyer] claimed that the prosecutors told him they had photos of Hunter’s alleged affairs. Even so, he said, the indiscretions didn’t rise to the level of a crime.  

“While there may be evidence of infidelity, irresponsibility or alcohol dependence, once properly understood, the underlying facts do not equate to criminal activity,” Vega wrote.

?  You can check out anytime you want
       But you can never leave.... ?

Republicans mull new punishments for dissident lawmakers

House Republicans are chewing over a proposal to hold members accountable for not voting along party lines or signing discharge petitions — two acts of rebellion that GOP leadership has had to grapple with this year.

Rep. Austin Scott (R-Ga.) pitched the idea on Tuesday to the Steering Committee, where it received a warm reception, but the panel decided to hold off on voting on the resolution until after the midterm elections, according to two GOP lawmakers who were present and a Republican source.

The resolution would require the Steering Committee to review whether changes should be made to a lawmaker’s committee assignments if they vote against a rule, which sets the stage for floor debate on legislation and is almost always passed along party lines, or if they support a discharge petition, which is a tool to force floor votes with 218 signatures and circumvent leadership.

And committee chairs could see their gavels on the line if they vote against anything considered a key “leadership issue” under the proposal, according to a GOP source.

The thinking is that chairmen and members who belong to the most coveted committees should be the biggest team players, especially when it comes to tough votes.

“There’d be an ability to say: We believe that if you’re on an ‘A’ committee… we expect a little more out of folks,” Rep. John Shimkus (R-Ill.), a member of the Steering panel, told The Hill on Wednesday. “That would then start the process of saying you can vote however you want, but maybe you should reconsider the committee that you’re on.”

Shimkus said he appreciated that the resolution would provide an opportunity for the Steering Committee, which assigns fellow lawmakers to congressional panels, to hear directly from members about why they voted a certain way.

Rep. Fred Upton (R-Mich.), another Steering panel member, said members asked a lot of questions about the concept, but he predicted the issue will heat up in November.

“My guess is it will pop up when we do our organizational meeting after the election,” Upton told The Hill.

Scott confirmed on Wednesday that he offered the proposal, but declined to provide any further details.

Earlier this year, Scott stood up during a GOP conference meeting and called on leadership to punish lawmakers who sign discharge petitions or vote against rules, two Republican sources told The Hill at the time.

Scott’s push came in response to an insurgent effort from centrist Republicans, who were trying to force a series of contentious immigration votes on the House floor using a discharge petition.

The moderate lawmakers had also threatened to torpedo a rule that would bring a conservative immigration bill from House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) to the floor, unless they also got a guaranteed vote on moderate immigration legislation.

There have been other examples of Republicans defying their leadership.

Members of the Freedom Caucus joined a handful of moderate Republicans in May to sink the GOP farm bill, which contained an overhaul of the federal food stamps program that was a top priority for retiring Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.). The House ended up passing the measure in a redo vote later in the year.

And Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen (R-N.J.), chairman of the powerful House Appropriations Chairman, was among the cadre of Republicans who opposed the party’s initial ObamaCare repeal bill, as well as the GOP tax-cut law.

Republican leaders had weighed stripping Frelinghuysen’s gavel over the tax vote, Politico reported last December, but never pulled the trigger. The chairman announced his retirement in January.

While some rank-and-file members have expressed frustration with fellow Republicans for not always falling in line, Ryan is not known to use the same strong-arm tactics as his predecessor, John Boehner (R-Ohio).

Under Boehner, it was not uncommon for members to be punished if they rebelled against leadership.

Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows (R-N.C.) had his Oversight and Government Reform subcommittee gavel stripped, and then reinstated, after voting against leadership and failing to pay party dues.

And Rep. Daniel Webster (R-Fla.) and former Rep. Rich Nugent (R-Fla.) were both kicked off the House Rules Committee, also known as the Speaker’s committee, for voting against Boehner for Speaker in 2015.

Vega [Hunter's lawyer] claimed that the prosecutors told him they had photos of Hunter’s alleged affairs. Even so, he said, the indiscretions didn’t rise to the level of a crime.  

“While there may be evidence of infidelity, irresponsibility or alcohol dependence, once properly understood, the underlying facts do not equate to criminal activity,” Vega wrote.

When "he's a reckless, cheating drunk" is your goddamn DEFENCE it's probably a good time to vote you out.

Re: Duncan Hunter

"the 47-page charging document alleges that the congressman had 'personal relationships' with at least five individuals, none of whom are identified."

Now I'm starting to wonder if at least some of those 'five individuals' were men....

13 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:
Y'all gonna have to ban an awful lotta things If that's the standard

The United States Constitution makes no mention of clothing or food, so I guess Lindsey will start his nude hunger strike on Monday.

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

20180909_maggie13.PNG

Just wanted to say I'm proud of my senator.  Actually, both of them have been kicking ass this past week...so I'm proud to be represented by both.

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic

Archived