IGNORED

Maxwell 23: Backyard Breeding

VaSportsMom

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@JermajestyDuggar, well,  there would be street dogs and mixed breeds.  According to my genetics prof at Furman, if you had totally random mating in dogs, you'd end up with 35 pound brown dogs.  I don't know if he's right, but it's something to consider.  

I currently have an elderly Shih-tzu, a dachshund, and a Lab mix, all rescues.  I don't think I'd get another Shih-tzu when she crosses the Bridge, but when my dachsie goes to the Bridge,  I'd really like another dachshund.  I'd also love to have a Glen of Imaal terrier.  I've even sorta picked out some names for a Glen:  Ronan for a boy and Saoirse, Siobhan or Maeve for a girl.  Ronan is for Ronan Farrow and the girl names are just because I like them.  

One of my daughters and her family has had German shepherd dogs.  Their breeder certified that the dogs had healthy hips, but did ask that they not breed them.  At least one of the dogs had a less desirable color; she was sable and tan and not black and tan.

45 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@JermajestyDuggar, well,  there would be street dogs and mixed breeds.  According to my genetics prof at Furman, if you had totally random mating in dogs, you'd end up with 35 pound brown dogs.  I don't know if he's right, but it's something to consider.  

The thing about street dogs is there are very few of those. I rarely ever come across a street dog. Most street dogs are picked up and taken to a shelter eventually. And if breeding is completely outlawed, I would imagine fixing dogs would be a requirement.  If no one is breeding and dogs are all fixed, I imagine there would be quite the shortage of dogs. Which means prices for dogs would go sky high and there would be underground breeding going on. Personally I think breeding should be regulated with licensure and breeding standards that need to be met. So basically I would be fine with the vast majority of the breeding going on in the US being outlawed and those people would be fined or maybe worse in order to deter them from breeding.

8 minutes ago, freejugar said:

Is that what a dog like that normally costs? i'm completely out of the loop on this subject

My grandparents recently adopted a golden retriever puppy. They absolutely wanted a golden retriever. I tried to steer them in the direction of reputable breeders, but they were totally unwilling to pay the price, which, yes, tended to be around $1800-$2000 (Canadian).

I got them to compromise on a seemingly decent breeder where the cost was only $1300. I started to have a few misgivings, and then the breeder announced on Facebook that there was something wrong with their dogs, they didn't know what, they weren't having successful litters and there would be no litters for the foreseeable future so everyone on the waiting list should find a new breeder. At this point I tried to encourage my grandparents in the direction of one of the more reputable breeders again, but nope. They found a puppy on Kijiji for $900. Basically a hobby breeder. Conditions seemed decent and the dog seems healthy, but definitely not ideal, especially considering they let them take him home before he was even 7 weeks old. But my grandparents are stubborn and just can't grasp why going with a more expensive but more reputable breeder would be better, so... :pb_confused:

Oh, and the breeder that announced they would be having no more litters? A few days later, surprise, one of their dogs had a litter! Oh, and suddenly they were very hopeful about another dog, who also ended up having a large litter 2-3 weeks after that! I still have no idea wtf was going on there - whether they were truly taken by surprise, or are just abominably terrible at communicating.

I love goldens and was really considering getting one from a breeder at some point in the future, but this whole process has just made me think that if I ever want as pet again, I'm going to the humane society and adopting a cat.

22 minutes ago, freejugar said:

Is that what a dog like that normally costs? i'm completely out of the loop on this subject

Yes, purebred dogs generally go from $1500 on up to thousands of dollars.

5 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

but this whole process has just made me think that if I ever want as pet again, I'm going to the humane society and adopting a cat.

Do it! I love cats so much and there are plenty of wonderful cats at shelters. 

55 minutes ago, Charliemae said:

I love when people who are not involved in rescue talk about dog breeding.  I think it's amazing how many opinions float up from people who aren't getting their hand dirty.  

https://www.drandyroark.com/ugly-truth-animal-shelters/

How do you know who is involved in what? And people are entitled to hold whatever opinion they want, you are not the opinion police.

We've had 2 pure bred GSP's. The first came out of an oops breeding...the male who was a wonderful hunting dog jumped his fence and got with the female they had as a pet. (She had 17 puppies who all went to friends and family, us being friends).  The 2nd GSP we adopted from a breed specific rescue. She was found in a high kill shelter and rescued after being there 5 days. She still had milk in her teats when she was taken to the rescue and was just 2 years old. 
My other dog was a mutt. He was the most lovable little black fur ball and I miss him terribly. So does our GSP. I'd like to get another small dog but right now we have the pointer and the cat who was my moms. 

BF and I spent $1800 on a newfoundland. He cakes with papers and the breeder was highly recommended. We found some for cheaper but the breeders seemed sketchy. This was my first pure breed dog. I always had mixed dogs. Two from the animal shelter, one from Craig’s list, and one that come in off of the street pregnant when I was a toddler. 

According to humanesociety.org  25% of all dogs at shelters are purebred. 1 in 4. There are also rescue groups for almost every type of dog out there. People need to educate themselves about owning a dog and the specific breed. (Owning cats too, but that’s a different rant. You think because a cat is indoors only she doesn’t need spayed? Good luck with the yowling and trying to escape every time you open the door each time she’s in heat.) I personally adopt, not shop. There are so many animals who need forever homes.

I just hope that Ellie is safe and healthy through this process because she a bright spot in the dungeon that is Maxhell. 

My sister paid $700 for her Chocolate Lab. Have friends in Charleston who paid well over $1000 for hunting dogs. And if the breed's bloodline is good with trophies to match...it's like a down payment on a house. 

my smaller dog I got at the shelter two years ago was rescued from a puppy mill. She is a King Charles spaniel corgi mix. She had some health issues, nothing to serious. Her life was rough before I got her but that’s the risk you take with a shelter dog. I understand people buying pure breeds because they don’t usually come with the baggage. 

Here's a pic of Tina picking up the cat carrier on her birthday which was June 15th.  Ellie does look kind of big.  Free Ellie!

IMG_4187.jpg

@Lgirlrocks,  two of my dogs -the dachsie and the Lab mix- came from rescue groups after they'd been rescued from animal hoarders.  Both of them were extremely shy and skittish when they arrived at our house.  The dachshund was more scarred by her lack of socialization.  You certainly do adopt their baggage along with the dog.

I think most cat people are perfectly fine with an ordinary shelter cat even if they have a taste for ginger cats, calicos, torties, longhaired cats and so on.  Unfortunately, there are cat breeders that do try to try to breed for appearance without any regard for the cat's health.  The bottom bit at the article on Munchkin cats is worth reading.  Just stop, cat breeders!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchkin_cat

Ar least, most dog breeds were developed for a specific purpose: hunting, herding, chasing and killing vermin, etc.  

Wow. This is something out of the blue. It makes me think of the Washburns who run Happy Hill Pups/the Radical Femininity blog. They own multiple dogs though, so it’s much more of a typical “puppy mill” situation. I wonder if Ellie will be bred again after this litter, or what. 

How did whoever it was find the website?

23 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Wow. This is something out of the blue. It makes me think of the Washburns who run Happy Hill Pups/the Radical Femininity blog. They own multiple dogs though, so it’s much more of a typical “puppy mill” situation. I wonder if Ellie will be bred again after this litter, or what. 

How did whoever it was find the website?

I believe the sleuth was @SPHASH— if you don’t mind, I’d love to hear the story. But only if you want to. 

Had I not seen PSarah’s manic smile at the top of that page, I would not have believed it was her site.  The writing is so much better than her tutus2 blog (typo & it stays — I want to think of Steve wearing a tutu over his Dockers, maybe because the grands would find it funny) (I know it will never happen).

I actually think she may not have written it. Heck, celebrities use ghostwriters all the time. 

They may have been stricter how they write/with their grammar etc if it’s for a business rather than their personal blog. Although their writing is probably awkward on the Swift Otter site.

Who knows?? The Maxwells are very good at secrecy and weirdness.

Ugh, I hope Ellie is being spayed after this litter. Maybe they paid for a good purebred and this is their way of making back what they spent? 

I'm not anti-dog breeding... there's a need for working dogs still, the local police recently got a new cadaver dog from a breeder/trainer in South America somewhere, for example. When I was a kid we had a dairy farm, and our dog during that time was an English Shepherd who could literally cut specific cows from the herd by name, and was a huge help on a small family farm. My boss got his two poodles (not 100% purebred) from a breeder, because his daughter is allergic to most dogs but can handle poodles.

But in general for just a pet? Check out the shelters! After we got rid of the farm, all my dad's dogs after that were rescues. Our cats have always been rescues. Shelters get ALL kinds of cats - my mom's current cat has siamese markings and beautiful blue eyes, but was found at her work under a pallet. We've had torties, calicos, black kitties, I've even seen a black smoke cat come through kitten academy, AND some of the floofiest longhaired cats I've ever seen. Kitten Academy won't even let people pick up their kittens until they're spayed/neutered, and most adoptions I've seen from shelters require cats be spayed or neutered. Fixed cats are much more pleasant to be around, as well.

And that's why I'm giving the Maxwells side-eye for breeding Ellie. They've got the time and space to foster puppies or kittens from shelters. There's lots of good all those stay-at-home adults could be doing, other than OCC and Christmas caroling. Breeding their PET for money? I hope this is a one-time requirement of Stevehovahs. 

What I find disturbing is that the Maxwells won't screen the people who buy Ellie's pups.  Just because they're charging a hefty price tag doesn't mean that a buyer will be a conscientious owner.  Even good dog and cat rescues check out their adopters quite well, and some even require a home visit.

(Now I miss our little poodle.  Fifi delighted us for 16 years before going to the Rainbow Bridge.)

@Granwych,  we were screened by Foster Paws and by PAWS of Anderson, SC when we adopted our cat and dog, respectively.  They wanted to know where the pets would be living (Indoors only for the cat and fenced backyard for the dog to play in), the name of our vet and so on.  Gwen's paperwork made it abundantly clear that existence on a chain was NOT acceptable to PAWS.  Foster Paws told me that if Daisy didn't work out that she was to be returned to Foster Paws.  Fortunately, both critters are getting on just fine.  Gwen needs to learn a few manners like not sitting on her little sisters, but she's a good dog.  Not screening the people who buy your pups just screams puppy mill to me.

I am so sorry about Fifi!  I still miss our Lucy who was also 16 when she died several years ago.  They're playing together at the Bridge.  :hug4:

On 8/5/2018 at 11:16 AM, SilverBeach said:

How do you know who is involved in what? And people are entitled to hold whatever opinion they want, you are not the opinion police.

In all fairness I think @Charliemae was reacting to the article that she/he posted.

However, Mr. Kool and I took in rescued and abused horses for 25 years and so I know not everyone who wants a dog to love is able to handle the behaviour that may come with a rescue animal.  It sometimes takes experience.  Most rescue places are very good at helping with placement so if possible I think rescue is a good option to find a pet. Blessed be all animals and the people who love them.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived