IGNORED

Three Identical Strangers

cascarones

I've seen it twice now and it's very compelling, a bit long on the media blitz they endured and participated in. It focuses on the three triplets who were separated at birth for a study in partnership with a prominent Jewish adoption agency in New York, their discovery of one another at college and beyond. Other multiples who were also separated for the same study also are a focus during the quest for answers of why and how this was done to children, why families weren't told and what information they've been able to gain. It covers adoption issues (meeting family you've never met and the various relationships that aren't perfect), questionable human study practices that make my heart ache and the impact media frenzy has on people.

I saw it at a quirky local theater, so I don't think it's on Netflix or streaming yet.

Has anyone else seen it?

• Upvote 1

No, but I want to(so far, I think the closest city that has shown it is Ithaca, so I'll have to hope that it'll eventually be released on DVD or streaming services).

• Upvote 1

Ithaca has that ice cream that is too ice cream to be allowed to be sold elsewhere, though! Not an ice cream person myself, but I hope it gets closer to you soon!

I learned about them in an undergraduate Native American studies class in Italy about a decade ago where ethics was a big focus. It fell into the 'America does all it's worst studies on marginalized populations' portion of the class to highlight the prevalence of discrimination and the similarities/ differences between discrimination against native blood and other minorities. Fascinating, but brutal class that's always stuck with me.

Apparently, it'll be released on DVD in October, and broadcast on CNN early next year. 

The movie is very good, but much sadder than I anticipated. 

Did anyone else see it? The scene at Eddie's wedding where the brothers were dancing in a circle while linking arms, and wearing huge smiles nearly made me cry.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For anyone interested, the documentary is scheduled to premiere on CNN Sunday at 9pm ET.

• Thank You 1

• 8 months later...