IGNORED

Kendra, Joe, and Garrett Duggar: Part 11

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, CarrotCake said:

It seems like they choose to live their own life according to these stupid beliefs but not bother the rest of the world as much as some of the others.

And that is something I can respect. Granted, I'd still feel a bit sad for their children for obvious reasons, but then they'd probably feel sad for my daughter being raised in a secular home. 

Each to their own, and if someone is happy leading a life I don't agree with or would want for myself, that's totally fine for me. As long as you don't bother or harass me and my life, feel free to live your life as you choose. 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Also, if the Duggars didn't have enough money to feed their kids, couldn't they do homesteading? If they grew their own potatoes and vegetables, and had a couple of cows (how rural was their old house? having a look it doesn't look rural enough, but maybe a goat), lots of chickens, that would help, and be cheaper, I would assume? 

We’ve discussed this a lot. The gist of it is that Jim Bob and Michelle were too busy with their businesses and child care early on, plus they lived in town during the lean years. By the time they had their large property they could afford to buy plenty of food, and their land is hard clay anyway. Also, Arkansas is the center of the chicken industry, so chicken and eggs are pretty cheap. (The road they live on is named for a chicken company.)  

By the way, we’ve probably exaggerated the food insecurity a little. Jill’s bathroom incident involved crackers, which are easy for siblings to steal and easy to grab and head for some alone time.

1 hour ago, SweetJuly said:

As long as you don't bother or harass me and my life, feel free to live your life as you choose. 

An ye harm none, do as ye will.

--The Wiccan Rede

:)  

This is how I live my life, and it's quite peaceful. :) 

7 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Also, it might have made it worse that the Duggars don't seem very into nutritious food, so the food they serve might not be that filling, so the kids might have felt unnecessarily hungry a lot. I'm not a nutrionist, but I would assume the more nutritious and the better the food is for you, the more filling it is? 

No, it doesn't quite work like that. A lot of processed, unhealthy foods are cheap and more filling, and that's why more people buy them. I'm more like to get full from a bowl of pasta than a bowl of garden salad, even though it's clear which one is more nutritional for me. 

13 minutes ago, viii said:

No, it doesn't quite work like that. A lot of processed, unhealthy foods are cheap and more filling, and that's why more people buy them. I'm more like to get full from a bowl of pasta than a bowl of garden salad, even though it's clear which one is more nutritional for me. 

I guess it varies person to person, but the more healthy fats and protein I get in a meal, the longer I feel satiated. Kraft macaroni and cheese or ramen noodles will fill me up for an hour or so, but then I'll just be craving more starches once my blood sugar drops again. 

I don't think the Duggar kids went to bed with growling stomachs, but I do think there were some real food insecurity issues growing up. Does anyone have a link to the time when they ate rice for three meals a day? I'm trying to remember if this is just an urban legend or it really happened. 

Yes, if there are healthy fats and protein in meals, then they will make someone full. Salads that have things like eggs, chicken, or avocado in them are more likely to fill someone up, than a salad that just has ice berg lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and cheese. 

Joe and Kendra seem content to do their own thing; whatever that may be. They seem quiet and homey, which is ok. Seriously, I think Jill should try it. Are their beliefs the same? Yes, but hey, I have more respect for people when it's not being shoved down my throat.

I do wonder who Garrett looks like now that he's a bit older. Is Kendra's Mom due soon-ish?

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I don't think the Duggar kids went to bed with growling stomachs, but I do think there were some real food insecurity issues growing up. Does anyone have a link to the time when they ate rice for three meals a day? I'm trying to remember if this is just an urban legend or it really happened. 

A little of both. It’s based on an incident in Jim Bob’s childhood where his parents were completely out of food and his mom served some rice that had been in a decorative jar for breakfast. His dad sold something that day, and his mom had bought groceries by the time Jim Bob came home from school.

I’m sure the Duggars did eat a ton of rice, which is grown in Southeast Arkansas and is cheap no matter where you are. My parents grew up poor in Arkansas and my mom told me that after they were married they didn’t eat rice for years because they were so sick of it.

Anyway, as far as I know, someone on FJ said “rice three times a day” figuratively and it stuck. I wonder if someone would give me a PhD in Duggarology so I can make use of all this information.

I think a lot of us have a soft spot for Joe because he seems like a good husband as well. It looks like he adores Kendra and that they are happy together. That plus keeping their shitty beliefs to them selves does put them high up on my ranking of the Duggars. 

The thing about rice was “rice 3 ways” not rice for every meal. I think they wrote about it in their book maybe. But I remember it was a meal that consisted of rice with marinara sauce, rice with butter and seasoning and then rice with milk and cinnamon for dessert. 

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Anyway, as far as I know, someone on FJ said “rice three times a day” figuratively and it stuck. I wonder if someone would give me a PhD in Duggarology so I can make use of all this information.

I could have sworn there was a detailed story of the Duggars serving rice with brown sugar for breakfast, rice with tomato sauce for lunch, and rice again for dinner.

1. I may have imagined this.

2. Even if I didn't, the story still may have been made up out of whole cloth. 

In my family growing up, rice with sugar milk and cinnamon was a favorite way to use up leftover rice for breakfast. My sister, brother, and I would hurry to be the first one to the refrigerator to pull out the leftovers from the night before! I still enjoy a bowl of rice with sugar, milk, and cinnamon for breakfast from time to time.

I'm not saying this was the same case in the Duggar family. I can see them having rice with milk and cinnamon and possibly sugar for breakfast as a necessity, not as a treat.

Just now, Audrey2 said:

rice with sugar milk and cinnamon

I can't tell you how excited I am to read this - I've never heard of it, or (obv) tried it - but I have leftover rice and I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow! lol

4 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

In my family growing up, rice with sugar milk and cinnamon was a favorite way to use up leftover rice for breakfast. My sister, brother, and I would hurry to be the first one to the refrigerator to pull out the leftovers from the night before! I still enjoy a bowl of rice with sugar milk and cinnamon for breakfast from time to time.

I'm not saying this was the same case in the Duggar family. I can see them having rice with milk and cinnamon and possibly sugar for breakfast as a necessity, not as a treat.

My mother and younger brother loved leftover rice this way.Another brother,who likes almost everything except,maybe 5 foods liked it,too.

My father didn't care for rice this way,at all

Because I have no life, I searched FJ for the earliest references to the “rice three ways” story.  @Visionoyahweh posted it in 2012, saying it was from TWOP.  It was rice with marinara sauce, with a side of rice with butter and herbs, followed by rice with honey. Michelle called it “three-way rice,” leading to some naughty FJ jokes.

It was rehashed in a thread called “Widely Accepted Duggar Myths” in 2015.  @halcionne linked to a thread called “Fundie Recipes,” where @Deleted07 had posted it in July 2012, saying Michelle had said it at “the Food Conference.” @halcionne identified that as a Vision Forum conference in July 2012, where Lily and Ellie’s blog confirms that Michelle and the older girls spoke.

On 10/23/2018 at 8:35 AM, viii said:

Carbs fill you up right away but you'll feel hungry sooner because of the insulin/ blood sugar cycling.   

I think the food insecurity issue has got to be exaggerated.    The family was fairly young when they started to build the massive 7000 sq ft house and that was before TLC came along.  They started the home without the expectation that they were going to cash in with TLC.   Its like Maslow's hierarchy of needs, they wouldn't be embarking on a massively expensive home when they couldn't feed their family.   The most basic needs would come first!  If the family had money to start that house independently they couldn't have had issues with paying to feed the family.

I think Jessa explained it pretty well in one of the more recent episodes.  She said cooking for 20 people isn't always easy to determine how much to make.  Image yourself trying to cook for 20 people.....Don't you think you'd have a hard time figuring out just how much of this or that to make?   Regularly some dishes would run out, usually the things everybody loves.  This is why when dinner was ready everyone would come running, this is why I can see the food hoarding and secretly sneaking food.  Its not about money, its about food prep and lots of kids and grocery shopping for a huge family like that.   Just imagine the turnover of food!

I think the fundamentalist culture is generally poor and probably many families do struggle with food, I think those large families struggling go to a church pot luck and its the best meal they have all week.    But I don't think that was the Duggars, even back before TLC came along, even when they were crammed into the tiny 3 bedroom house.   They are ridiculously frugal, their fundamentalist community is poor, Arkansas in general has its fair share of poverty, ultra frugality runs deep.   But Jbob did well with his investments and the family didn't struggle with basic necessities like food.

9 minutes ago, PVMom said:

I think the food insecurity issue has got to be exaggerated.    The family was fairly young when they started to build the massive 7000 sq ft house and that was before TLC came along.  They started the home without the expectation that they were going to cash in with TLC.   Its like Maslow's hierarchy of needs, they wouldn't be embarking on a massively expensive home when they couldn't feed their family.   The most basic needs would come first!  If the family had money to start that house independently they couldn't have had issues with paying to feed the family.

I think Jessa explained it pretty well in one of the more recent episodes.  She said cooking for 20 people isn't always easy to determine how much to make.  Image yourself trying to cook for 20 people.....Don't you think you'd have a hard time figuring out just how much of this or that to make?   Regularly some dishes would run out, usually the things everybody loves.  This is why when dinner was ready everyone would come running, this is why I can see the food hoarding and secretly sneaking food.  Its not about money, its about food prep and lots of kids and grocery shopping for a huge family like that.   Just imagine the turnover of food!

I think the fundamentalist culture is generally poor and probably many families do struggle with food, I think those large families struggling go to a church pot luck and its the best meal they have all week.    But I don't think that was the Duggars, even back before TLC came along, even when they were crammed into the tiny 3 bedroom house.   They are ridiculously frugal, their fundamentalist community is poor, Arkansas in general has its fair share of poverty, ultra frugality runs deep.   But Jbob did well with his investments and the family didn't struggle with basic necessities like food.

BUT...how hard would it be to adjust your numbers, IF money was not an issue? For example, everyone likes oranges, so money being no object, we buy more oranges and fewer apples, or make more of the main dish and fewer sides? IMO, money was an object. If money had not been an object, why would the family sell away it's privacy and private moments? 

On 10/23/2018 at 10:17 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

I can't tell you how excited I am to read this - I've never heard of it, or (obv) tried it - but I have leftover rice and I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow! lol

Cinnamon milk rice with berries (either fresh or frozen ones warmed up with a bit of sugar - I prefer the latter) it's quite a popular dessert or even main dish here.

37 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

BUT...how hard would it be to adjust your numbers, IF money was not an issue? For example, everyone likes oranges, so money being no object, we buy more oranges and fewer apples, or make more of the main dish and fewer sides? IMO, money was an object. If money had not been an object, why would the family sell away it's privacy and private moments? 

I thought they initially agreed to the show because it allowed them to share their beliefs and act as a ministry? :pb_rollseyes: can't eyeroll hard enough. Once they saw the $$, I'm sure it was a win-win. 

While the kids were fed and not starving, I have no doubts there were at least some food insecurities. No snacking -if you're hungry, wait for dinner. Whichever J-slave was cooking probably put one helping or scoop of slop they were cooking on the plate and that's what they got. If any was leftover, it had to go to daddy first, followed by Joshley, then John-David, next J-boy, etc. Gotta feed the manly men and boys to grow into big manly men before the girls ever got a second helping. A lot of their standard meals also didn't include nutrient dense foods, good fats, and proteins to keep bellies full, either. I imagine an hour or so after dinner their stomachs would start to growl. 

They may not have had to wonder where their next meal would come from, but I have no doubts those kids were hungry often.. especially the growing girls. Gotta stay thin for Gothard. 

1 hour ago, PVMom said:

I think the food insecurity issue has got to be exaggerated.   

You don't understand how food insecurity works. Let me tell you about food insecurity. My Mom has 13 siblings and is a great example of food insecurity. They always had food, but it wasn't always food that they liked; but there was nothing else so they had to eat it anyway. If they weren't home in time for the meal, there wouldn't be any food for them; it was their own fault, you know when it is. There was always bread and butter, but that makes a pretty shitty meal. There were no seconds or extras, there were no treats. It doesn't mean they staved, it means that they likely never knew what it was like to be full.

What are the long lasting effects? Well, over feeding people, having no portion control, eating past the point of being full because there's that fear that tomorrow may not be as good as today, being offended if someone doesn't clear their plate, and much like Jill Dillard not knowing how to truly cook. All food comes from cans and is quick/easy. It's hard and it led to many arguments and still does. So don't say that anything is exaggerated, you don't know what goes on in someone else's kitchen.

My husband has three older siblings. Two of them are brothers. There is a joke in their family when his older brother brought home his eventual wife for the first time, she only took a bit of everything at dinner and by the time she was ready to get some more, everyone else had eaten it all. That's what happens apparently with teenage boys. (I have two sisters). She was of course still hungry and they ended up going to McDonalds later. 

I think based on this sort of thing that it would be inevitable that people would end up being hungry in the Duggar household. I'm sure there was food but I doubt it was really plentiful especially anything good was eaten immediately. I'm sure the kids tried to horde stuff too. 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived