IGNORED

Kendra, Joe, and Garrett Duggar: Part 11

Coconut Flan

On 8/11/2018 at 7:10 PM, Seculardaisy said:

I honestly cannot get over the plate licking. Imagine marrying a man and then finding out he picks up his plates and licks them after every meal.

Me too! I've honestly never seen anyone do this except for in movies. How do you even start this habbit? wtf? :pb_lol: 

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was a kid My mother would have swiped the plate away and made me feel ashamed for such boorish behavior even at home. In public she would have not had the time because she would have died of shame and embarrassment at not having taught me better. I have to wonder how Michelle feels when her adult son does this on camera.

50 minutes ago, seraaa said:

It's not wrong insofar as it's a dialect which evolved naturally as any dialect does  - people aren't getting standardised speech wrong, they are using elements a of different variant of English. 

Exactly. I used to be more strident about proper grammar but I realized that it really doesn't matter in spoken language. In addition, complaints about people speaking "wrong" are often closely associated with classism and racism. People particularly love to pick on AAVE, for example, when it does have a consistent grammar, it just differs from standard English.

I do think, on the other hand, that it is important to be able to use standardized English grammar correctly in formal, written language. (And to go off on another tangent, I don't consider writing on the internet to be an example of that. It's actually pretty interesting how people have adapted written language on the internet and in texting to mirror spoken language.)

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Me too! I've honestly never seen anyone do this except for in movies. How do you even start this habbit? wtf? :pb_lol: 

Exactly. And going further, how do you continue this habit as someone older than four? This would be cute the first time a toddler did this but after that it’s time to teach correct behavior.

This conversation reminds me of the wheel of fortune person who got the answer right but wasn't given the prize because she dropped her g.  While I try to be correct in how I speak, its hard not to admit how elitist this can be.  

(in the end I think they gave her the money but insisted she didn't win)

4 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Exactly. I used to be more strident about proper grammar but I realized that it really doesn't matter in spoken language. In addition, complaints about people speaking "wrong" are often closely associated with classism and racism. People particularly love to pick on AAVE, for example, when it does have a consistent grammar, it just differs from standard English.

I do think, on the other hand, that it is important to be able to use standardized English grammar correctly in formal, written language. (And to go off on another tangent, I don't consider writing on the internet to be an example of that. It's actually pretty interesting how people have adapted written language on the internet and in texting to mirror spoken language.)

The case of AAVE is really interesting!

One of my English teachers in high school said "I don't care how you talk to your friends, that doesn't concern me. I don't care how thick your accent is, it's something to be proud of. However, if you think that you can use colloquialisms in a formal essay, then you will receive a zero in return." 

On 8/13/2018 at 7:10 AM, freethemall said:

It's funny you mention that book, I requested it from my library 2 days ago. Just have to wait behind 36 other people to get it! Now I want to read it even more.

I'm number 136 as of yesterday through my library... But it's improved, I was 200-plus when I put in the request after reading about it here!

It's a county-wide system, though, and there are something like 50 copies, so not as awful as it sounds.

9 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

This conversation reminds me of the wheel of fortune person who got the answer right but wasn't given the prize because she dropped her g.  While I try to be correct in how I speak, its hard not to admit how elitist this can be.  

(in the end I think they gave her the money but insisted she didn't win)

Seriously? Because accents don't exist? If it were a written answer, a la Jeopardy's final round, sure, but how she pronounces (or not) a g?

15 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

I'm number 136 as of yesterday through my library... But it's improved, I was 200-plus when I put in the request after reading about it here!

It's a county-wide system, though, and there are something like 50 copies, so not as awful as it sounds.

Seriously? Because accents don't exist? If it were a written answer, a la Jeopardy's final round, sure, but how she pronounces (or not) a g?

Yep, they said she hadn't actually stated all the letters, which is important.  I think the state of Florida got involved and in the press conference the district attorney dropped all of her g's.  

2 things:

1. That was a surprisingly normal video - they seemed to appreciate the trade and craftsmanship that went into the sandal business. Definitely more open to the culture here than in the Greek food market tour we saw with them earlier.

2. I WANT KENDRA'S SANDALS. They are so cute.

I watched that with captions on, and I saw Joe say "What's up, dog?" and I didn't see the dog....and I was just like wow that is some interesting vernacular from a Duggar! And then the caption said "dog barking" and I was all :doh:

About dropping the "g". Go find a video of John Young, arguably the smartest astronaut that ever served. Fucking brilliant, flew Gemini 3, Apollo 10 as CMP, Apollo 16 as CDR, STS 1 and STS 9. Was head of the astronaut office, assistant to George S. Abbey. He sounds like an "aw shucks" good old country boy. In the video below, he's with Bob Crippen, PLT for STS 1. Crip is from somewhere in Texas...another good old country boy. 

Speaking of astronauts (kinda/sorta) —-

yall go outside RIGHT NOW and look at Jupiter very near the moon! 

*if it’s dark where you are

Sadly, the skies are so full of smoke here that the moon looked orange-red. No chance of seeing Jupiter. :(

On 8/13/2018 at 12:17 AM, jqlgoblue said:

"I've always known the Duggars and similar are not educated but this was a striking example ... I'm quite certain the ATI wisdom booklets do not contain history beyond the Bible."

Well, they actually do. . . In a spotty, non-chronological, utterly useless way. History is presented only to prove Gothard's points. You might go from a resource on the French Revolution (4-8 pages max) to one that was a biography of a famous Methodist preacher (similar length.) No effort to give students a sense of related events over the years.

I remember being really offended when my mother would claim that the "Wisdom" booklets were our curriculum and anything else we used was just a supplement (thank goodness for those "supplements," which we ended up spending most of the day doing.) Even at ten years old, I knew that was BS. You don't go from reading about how half of a verse from Matthew five teaches us about fractions like halves and thirds (it's just NOT in the text) to reading next month about how another half of a verse in Matthew teaches us about trigonometry (also obviously not in the text) and claim that that's how you learned the math you know. It's pretty similar for the other subjects the booklets claim to cover. There's a tiny amount of real information in there, forcibly related to a verse that doesn't have anything to do with that information, and it's presented in such a scattered manner that there's no reason to remember it because you won't be able to relate it to anything else.

9 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Sadly, the skies are so full of smoke here that the moon looked orange-red. No chance of seeing Jupiter. :(

Same where I am. Not sure where you are, but please take care. The smoke is even bothering me, but I'm worrying about my parents, especially my mother.

Joe and Kendra go to their gender ultrasound and take John David with them as he will be the only one to know prior to the reveal. he jokes with the producers that they could bribe him for the information. 

• 4 weeks later...

Right now I am watching Joe's and Kendra's honeymoon on YouTube. And I like these two. Kendra is very giggely, like many of you said, but I cannot stop smiling over them. They seem to be happy and comfortable with each other. Yes I know they are on their honeymoon, but compared to Joystin's honeymoon that one was way more interesting. If I had to choose one of the couples to end up having a conversation with, I would choose Joe and Kendra. 

Oh wow, Henry falling asleep in the highchair and Ben trying to make it more comfortable for him...that was cute. Really cute. I cannot Imagine Derick doing something thoughtful and cute like that.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived