IGNORED

Kendra, Joe, and Garrett Duggar: Part 11

Coconut Flan

While I know it is not how real life works all I can see now are children dressed in elf pyjamas, neatly lined up at a long counter, Christmas music playing in the background and we are baking thousands of cookies with every child being responsible for another step (assembly line work style). This could be THE solution for my yearly overly ambitions Christmas cookie plans. Off to discuss the possibility of ten children with my husband.....

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My two sister's and I are the only kids on my mothers side. Both my uncles and my aunt didn't have kids. On my dad's side it is the opposite. He had 6 siblings and all have several kids (we are one of the smaller families) . Plus my older cousins were having children around the same time as my younger aunts were since my grandmother had her kids spread out. I adored both of my grandmother's but there is a big difference being 1 of 3 vs. 1 of 30+ in getting one on one experiences. 

2 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

there is a big difference being 1 of 3 vs. 1 of 30+ in getting one on one experiences. 

Agree!!  My friend who was an only grandchild on one side was one of 15 on the other side. 

15 hours ago, freethemall said:

Finally, it annoys me endlessly that they don't know the difference between the words "when" and "whenever".

I always assumed this was a Southern/regional thing? I've noticed people on the show besides Duggar family members saying "whenever" instead of just "when."

That's definitely a regional thing (when/whenever).

I heard "could have went" and "should have went" all the time in my part of the Midwest - from people with Bachelor and Master degrees! Drives me bonkers.

Apologies because I don't watch the episodes much... Does Joe have a job? He didn't finish at Crown, right? 

7 hours ago, Jana814 said:

Agree!!  My friend who was an only grandchild on one side was one of 15 on the other side. 

My son is the only grandchild on my side (I have 2 sisters) and I think he is #20 of 21 on Hubs side of the family. Which doesn't count the great grands - probably 10 of whom are older than he is...
Family gatherings in that family are overwhelming. Christmas at my house might be 8-10 people - his are 50+

(I actually left xmas early last year because I wasn't feeling well and every time I got up to get a drink or something - someone had stolen my chair)

41 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

Apologies because I don't watch the episodes much... Does Joe have a job? He didn't finish at Crown, right? 

Yeah he’s in the carsale business. Not sure if it’s at Josh’s though. 

8 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

I always assumed this was a Southern/regional thing? I've noticed people on the show besides Duggar family members saying "whenever" instead of just "when."

You're probably right, but I'm in the south and I actually never hear "whenever" used that way! There's a lot of dialect leveling among people my age, though.

On 8/7/2018 at 10:49 AM, SapphireSlytherin said:

I heard "could have went" and "should have went" all the time in my part of the Midwest - from people with Bachelor and Master degrees! Drives me bonkers.

"I seen______" drives me bonkers...I hate it.

On 8/5/2018 at 11:01 AM, clueliss said:

I could have lived without knowing that Joe licks his plate which automatically took me down the mental path of food issues I. The Duggar family.  

I honestly cannot get over the plate licking. Imagine marrying a man and then finding out he picks up his plates and licks them after every meal.:pbbbt:

Did C.O. just give us another obscure reason that the courtship model of dating doesn’t work? Poor Kendra didn’t even have time to find out Joe licks his plates.

On 8/11/2018 at 8:10 PM, Seculardaisy said:

I honestly cannot get over the plate licking. Imagine marrying a man and then finding out he picks up his plates and licks them after every meal.:pbbbt:

Did C.O. just give us another obscure reason that the courtship model of dating doesn’t work? Poor Kendra didn’t even have time to find out Joe licks his plates.

Did she really not know, though? Wouldn't she have had meals with him during their courtship/engagement? Does he do this for every meal?

45 minutes ago, RabbitKM said:

Did she really not know, though? Wouldn't she have had meals with him during their courtship/engagement? Does he do this for every meal?

Considering the limited time the Duggars court and are engaged, Joe might have been on his best manners and not licked any plates. I'm guessing he may not do this in public as well. Once Kendra was married and she was family, he could show her all of his warts.

On 8/6/2018 at 11:36 AM, Carm_88 said:

Joe licked his plate, Jill grabbed her food and ate in the bathroom, Josh's weight went up when he could eat all he wanted; yeah food was a big, big issue in the Duggar household. 

Food issues because of horrible parenting make me so sad :( 

I know it’s judgey of me, but if you have too many children to be able to teach them the very basics of good table manners (eg you don’t lick your plate) you probably have too many children. IMO it makes things harder than they need to be. I know someone who came from a huge family and didn’t know how to use a knife and fork (none of the children did) because the parents didn’t teach them :( 

On 8/5/2018 at 9:36 PM, Carm_88 said:

Joe licked his plate, Jill grabbed her food and ate in the bathroom, Josh's weight went up when he could eat all he wanted; yeah food was a big, big issue in the Duggar household. 

Jessa talking about how if you didn't grab something right away don't expect to have it because there won't be any when you get back. Jill talking about how the little kids would always steal the cups so instead of teaching the littles not to take other people's cups she would tell them she spit in hers.  Josiah asking his parents to bring him home left overs when they went on date nights. (Lauren said that food was his love language no I just think he wanted to make sure he could get some good food.) 

On 8/6/2018 at 1:52 PM, freethemall said:

I'm watching the season premiere now, another version as usual of the "look how sheltered we are!" plotline which I find less amusing and more embarrassing at this point. The question about Greek mythology was embarrassing in how it showed how ignorant the SDRT has made them. The woman at the forklift lunch (that looked fun but scary!) asking Kendra what she does and Kendra showing how she has no goals is sad. 

I was just reading a Time article that is an excerpt of a book "Educated: A Memoir" by a woman who grew up a Mormon Survivalist. She ended up going to college and didn't know what the Holocaust was. Upon wracking her brain she thought one of her parents had mentioned it at some point...  but she'd thought of it like a small conflict on the scale of the Boston Massacre (which her dad talked about a lot, and where only 6 people died). I've always known the Duggars and similar are not educated but this was a striking example ... I'm quite certain the ATI wisdom booklets do not contain history beyond the bible.

5 hours ago, jqlgoblue said:

I was just reading a Time article that is an excerpt of a book "Educated: A Memoir" by a woman who grew up a Mormon Survivalist. She ended up going to college and didn't know what the Holocaust was. Upon wracking her brain she thought one of her parents had mentioned it at some point...  but she'd thought of it like a small conflict on the scale of the Boston Massacre (which her dad talked about a lot, and where only 6 people died). I've always known the Duggars and similar are not educated but this was a striking example ... I'm quite certain the ATI wisdom booklets do not contain history beyond the bible.

It's funny you mention that book, I requested it from my library 2 days ago. Just have to wait behind 36 other people to get it! Now I want to read it even more.

On 8/7/2018 at 10:49 AM, SapphireSlytherin said:

Midwest girl here, too. Those phrases drive me crazy. But the worst is "I seen" as in "I seen Bob at the grocery last week." Ugh, I want to tear my hair out!

I'm also from the Midwest and never realized whenever was wrong grammatically. In fact, I work in the law field and was doing dictation the other day and the attorney I work for kept using whenever for both correspondence and legal documents. Now I don't know how to feel.

I grew up food insecure, too, and it was only made worse by the fact that my older brothers wouldn't allow me much of any of their larger portions because they didn't want fat sisters. 

I remember them getting entire pizzas and cheeseburgers to themselves while I got a slice just because they were men and needed more calories - even though none of them ever left the house for work or school. 

I kinda wonder if it was the same in TTH - with the boys getting lion's shares and the girls lucky to get a pepperoni to lick. 

8 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

I grew up food insecure, too, and it was only made worse by the fact that my older brothers wouldn't allow me much of any of their larger portions because they didn't want fat sisters. 

I remember them getting entire pizzas and cheeseburgers to themselves while I got a slice just because they were men and needed more calories - even though none of them ever left the house for work or school. 

I kinda wonder if it was the same in TTH - with the boys getting lion's shares and the girls lucky to get a pepperoni to lick. 

Maybe that's why Josie is a Pepperoni licker haha suckers you're not going to want to eat this now. 

11 hours ago, GnomeCat said:

I'm also from the Midwest and never realized whenever was wrong grammatically. In fact, I work in the law field and was doing dictation the other day and the attorney I work for kept using whenever for both correspondence and legal documents. Now I don't know how to feel.

It's not that "whenever" is never correct. It's that "when" and "whenever" are not interchangeable. Here's a short explanation on when (not whenever :kitty-wink:) to use what: https://www.grammarbook.com/newsletters/090412.htm.

On 8/7/2018 at 3:49 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

Ach, it's fine. There are many regional dialects, idioms and inflections, but only one standardised written English language. 

Speaking in a regionally specific way is a nice thing, I think. It's only 'wrong' insofar as it doesn't mirror the written language, which is the language of education. It's not wrong insofar as it's a dialect which evolved naturally as any dialect does  - people aren't getting standardised speech wrong, they are using elements a of different variant of English. 

Sometimes people are aware of this and code switch, sometimes they are aware and don't bother to code switch (either because they don't care or because everyone around them speaks the same way) and sometimes people don't realise. Many people, also, Written communications are often more stadardised in general than spoken language - I don't think that's unusual for many. I'm sure I say "would of" instead of "would have" half the time, but I'd never write it (except maybe in a text, and the way that text speech mimics spoken language is also interesting).

This is the extent of my rambling views on sociolinguistics, lol

Edited to add: I say there is only one standardised written language, and then spell it "standardiSed" lol

2 minutes ago, seraaa said:

I'm sure I say "would of" instead of "would have" half the time, but I'd never write it (except maybe in a text, and the way that text speech mimics spoken language is also interesting).

But you're not saying "would of" - you're saying "would've" instead. Would've is the appropriate contraction of "would have."

7 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

But you're not saying "would of" - you're saying "would've" instead. Would've is the appropriate contraction of "would have."

This is true! I suppose I'm thinking of seeing kids spell it as 'would of', instead of would have, which is not quite the same thing.

Notwithstanding, we do target our written (and spoken) language to content and audience, and the formalisation of written language is part of that, I think.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived