IGNORED

Kendra, Joe, and Garrett Duggar: Part 11

Coconut Flan

3 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Yet their rate has definitely declined over the years.

This graph if you click on Iceland shows the drop.  It compensates for the different population sizes.

https://gateway.euro.who.int/en/indicators/hfa_603-7120-births-with-downs-syndrome-per-100-000-live-births/visualizations/#id=19698

For sure. I saw a documentary or podcast, can’t remember, on this subject. Icelanders and doctors were interviewed and it was very clear that the prevalent attitude is that there is no need for those affected fetuses to be born- wish I could remember the source. Now that I think about it, is was a documentary because I remember watching it.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys. I am sort of a little obsessed with DuckTales. I have about 20 international versions of the original series theme song on my iPod that I collected over the years. My favorite of those is the Dutch, but also I love singing along to the French one, which is "La Bande à Picsou." 

As much as I loved the original series, I like the reboot even more. I love how Huey, Dewey and Louie are voiced by different actors and are much more complex in character, I love the sometimes dark absurdist humor, I love David Tennant as Scrooge McDuck, and I love, love Webby. 

Just googled Australia and our stats says

The rate of Australian babies born with Down syndrome is approximately 1:1,100. This is lower than the worldwide rate of around 1 in 700 because of the high termination rates in Australia.

We have free testing and scans 

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2017/08/17/down-syndrome-birth-terminations/

we are being compared to iceland too

1 hour ago, backyard sylph said:

You guys. I am sort of a little obsessed with DuckTales. I have about 20 international versions of the original series theme song on my iPod that I collected over the years. My favorite of those is the Dutch, but also I love singing along to the French one, which is "La Bande à Picsou." 

As much as I loved the original series, I like the reboot even more. I love how Huey, Dewey and Louie are voiced by different actors and are much more complex in character, I love the sometimes dark absurdist humor, I love David Tennant as Scrooge McDuck, and I love, love Webby. 

I bust out singing the theme song often enough that my 3 year old knows all the words. Loved that show. I need to check out the reboot!

10 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

I bust out singing the theme song often enough that my 3 year old knows all the words. Loved that show. I need to check out the reboot!

I think it's good witty fun. And very cute. ?

The WHO graph with European data is really interesting but what's the blue shading behind? Uncertainty, maybe? I can't find a legend. Canada's at about 15 per 10,000 live births, so not too different than a lot of Europe, e.g. Netherlands is around 150-200 per 100,000 births. Ahhh, unit inconsistency! Meanwhile, the proportion of older parents keeps going up:

https://gateway.euro.who.int/en/indicators/hfa_594-7050-of-all-live-births-to-mothers-aged-35plus-years/

20 hours ago, albireo said:

I remember that!! I visited Disneyland Paris when I was 5 or so, and wondered why on earth Chip and Dale signed my autograph book "Tic" and "Tac." Goofy was still Goofy though.

That doesn't surprise me. French people love to pronounce things ''in IN-gleeeech''. :pb_rollseyes:

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:23 AM, emmeline said:

Especially disturbing when they harp on and on and on about it in front of the child in question. That's a hell of a message for your kid to internalise. 

I have a BIIIIIG issue with this. Do NOT talk about your kid in front of them - unless you would say the same things TO them. My son doesn't have disabilities so much as struggles. He's a perfectly average little boy who (we THINK) has an auditory processing issue (he's just slower to hear & internalize) and then struggles with self regulation. And right now - he's stuck in a feedback loop.
But the quickest way to get the Momma Bear to come out in me - is to talk to me about my son like he isn't sitting in the same room listening to you talk about him. 

I have stopped conversations with teachers and principals when I felt like I couldn't be upfront with them while he is with me. Or when things started to veer into areas that he doesn't need to carry with him. "Sorry - let's take this off line - we don't need to have this conversation here." 

Because all my son needs to hear is that he is capable, and funny and sweet and smart and a good helper and a kind boy. He already know where he struggles, he already KNOWS when he is sent to the office. 
Also - watch what you say in front of other kids. I had a situation where a little classmate came over to tell me that my son was bad in school and yelled a lot. Who do you think she heard THAT from? 

I try really hard to brag about my kid as much as I can - in earshot of him. Did you hear how he spelled his name today Daddy? Did you hear how he jumped in the pool all by himself today, Day care worker? Did you hear - Grandma - what a big helper he was today? 

On 1/31/2019 at 4:00 PM, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

I can't really think of other disabilities that you could detect in utero, besides ones that are really severe and often fatal (other trisomies for example).

You can test for a bunch of microdeletions as well (Angelman's, Prader-Willi, etc) by way of simple blood test as early as 9 weeks of pregnancy. And of course there is PGD for people who do IVF and can specifically exclude embryos with a particular genetic issue that is inherited.

I don't judge people for what they decide when they receive news that they are carrying a baby with Down Syndrome. I have a beautiful and lovely nephew with Down Syndrome, he turns 6 next month. He is the light of his parents' life and he's just a delightful little man. But people who are not familiar with Down Syndrome only seem to be aware of the obvious physical appearance and mental limitations. The truth is there are a lot of medical issues that these kids face (serious cardiac issues, for example) and not every family is equipped, financially or emotionally to take this on.

On 2/1/2019 at 5:30 PM, AtlanticTug said:

You can test for a bunch of microdeletions as well (Angelman's, Prader-Willi, etc) by way of simple blood test as early as 9 weeks of pregnancy. And of course there is PGD for people who do IVF and can specifically exclude embryos with a particular genetic issue that is inherited.

I don't judge people for what they decide when they receive news that they are carrying a baby with Down Syndrome. I have a beautiful and lovely nephew with Down Syndrome, he turns 6 next month. He is the light of his parents' life and he's just a delightful little man. But people who are not familiar with Down Syndrome only seem to be aware of the obvious physical appearance and mental limitations. The truth is there are a lot of medical issues that these kids face (serious cardiac issues, for example) and not every family is equipped, financially or emotionally to take this on.

This is so true. I know two kids with Down Syndrome that are so seriously impaired they have to live in medical care homes. The level of disability and health issues do vary from person to person. I would never judge a woman and family for making choice to either terminate or raise a child with any kind of disability. There are so many things that go into raising a special needs child. What happens after parents are too old to help with care taking? Not all special needs children are able to live independently or even in a group home situation. 

I do think we need to change the conversation about kids and disability and illness. I have a chronic pain condition somewhat linked to genetic predisposition and have read and heard negative reactions when I say I want to start a family. It's like saying the life I lead with illness (or that of my potential offspring)must not be worth living and it would have been better if I'd never been conceived! We have this weirdly sanitized view of health, almost eugenics-like, when the truth is that illness and disability are part of the fabric of human existence. Sure, every mom has the right to decide whether she wants to carry her pregnancy to term, and only she knows whether she could cope with a child with certain disabilities. But generally we need to reconsider the idea that a life with less than perfect health must not be worth living.

16 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

But generally we need to reconsider the idea that a life with less than perfect health must not be worth living.

Agreed. It’s part of disability advocacy.  And we also need to make sure that there are social and medical services in place, especially for lower income families, who choose to have children with disabilities or whose children become disabled (because that certainly happens). We need real support for individuals to live their best lives, whatever that looks like. And we aren’t there yet, at least not in the US. 

If anyone has access to the BBC radio player there is an amazing episode of inside the ethics committee about disability and assisted reproduction. I found it really interesting but very challenging and I definitely didn't agree with some of the decisions . 

On 2/9/2019 at 7:04 PM, byzant said:

If anyone has access to the BBC radio player there is an amazing episode of inside the ethics committee about disability and assisted reproduction. I found it really interesting but very challenging and I definitely didn't agree with some of the decisions . 

Disability Rights and advocacy is a really big deal to me and I am really glad you shared that link, thank you. It was a hard listen but I'm glad I heard it.

• 2 weeks later...

Omg does anyone else follow the bachelor folks? Bc bachelor in paradise power couple joe and Kendall have adopted the couple name “joKen” and they post stories to that name on their accounts!!! ? what do you think, are they secret free jinger members?

On 1/31/2019 at 6:08 AM, JordynDarby5 said:

Wow, I didn't know Huey, Dewie, and Louie had different names in other countries I just assumed they were the same. All of those names are so cool. Also, what other characters have different names? Mickey and Minnie? Donald Duck? Goofy? Pluto?  

In Sweden:

Donald Duck = Kalle Anka (anka is duck in Swedish)

Huey, Dewie and Louie = Knatte, Fnatte och Tjatte

Daisy = Kajsa Anka

Mickey and Minnie = Musse Pigg and Mimmi

Goofy = Långben (translates to long leg)

Chip and  Dale = Piff and Puff

Uncle Scrooge = Joakim von Anka

Pluto is the same though. :)

In France, Goofy is called Dingo .... Huey, dewie and Louie are Riri, Fifi, Loulou...... Uncle Scrooge is Balthazar Picsou...... Chip and Dale are Tic and Tac......

Donald and Daisy, Mickey and Minnie, and Pluto are the same

In German Huey, Dewie and Louie are Tick, Trick and Track, and Chip and Dale are Chip and Chap. I have to say I kind of prefer Chap to Dale, it's a cooler name. ? Mickey & Co. are the same.

And this thread is about to get hot I predict.... 

I wonder if they will play it cute or spew hate with their new social media. When will the shilling of stuff begin? That’s the only reason why I can think they have just popped up. Coincides nicely with all the shilling the girls have done lately...

3 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Might not be the best handle, just sayin'...

Wonder if Becky knows about it yet?

Shall we run a pool on how Long it takes for her to comment? 

4 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Might not be the best handle, just sayin'...

Wonder if Becky knows about it yet?

I have already had a squizz and judge at some off the Duggar Humper’s accounts that have commented. Mainly because I am judgey and avoiding housework. 

2 hours ago, Fundielandobserver said:

The baby is so cute.

I have one eye smaller than the other due to Bell’s palsy and I am very self conscious of it. I could not imagine growing up in the spot light having everyone comment about it. 

Edit to add 

actually I wish that for all the Duggar offspring actually.... 

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived