IGNORED

Counting On Season 5/6/7 Who Knows? It's on Tonight!

Coconut Flan

I wouldn't snark on Josiah if he even made a basic grilled cheese sandwich and opened a can of tomato soup. (Yes, I'd hope for more, but at least that would have been fresh food.) I can't get over him serving Lauren what's left in the dodgy takeout containers of leftovers. It reminds me of a bunch of guys hanging out and daring each other to eat the grossest concoctions they can create. No...just no.... that doesn't seem to be that you are respecting the person you supposedly care about, at least enough to court.

I don't usually watch the posted video clips, but did look at one this time, so I could hear Jinger playing. As my untrained ear listened to her, I wish she would have had the opportunity to study piano in college, like Erin Bates did. I don't know enough to judge her technique, but it's sad to me that, even if she had a passion for the piano, she wasn't allowed to develop this. Even if I was using the Fundie excuse that she could play at church and give lessons (again not my thought, just trying to inhabit the Fundie mind), it would have been something.

From the little I saw of Joseph and Kendra, he seemed to genuinely respect her, as well as love her, which I haven't felt as strongly with the other married Duggar siblings, with the possible exception of Ben and Jessa. While some might argue Jeremy and Jinger, I've felt that Jeremy enjoys playing Professor Henry Higgins to Jinger's Eliza Doolittle (references from My Fair Lady).

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear---Yankee born here who does indeed call it stuffing, but nothing else about @SapphireSlytherindescription fits (occasionally white bread cubes, though.)  But I'm 50 and never had in-the-bird slimy stuffing!  My family's recipe was maybe slightly moist, never wet.

However, my Mid-Altantic MIL calls it "dressing" and it is in-the-bird and super slimy, so go figure.

Dammit.  Now I want stuffing.

12 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Yankees call it stuffing. Southerners call it dressing. And it's actually vastly different. Yankees use white bread; we use cornbread. They put that white-bread-slimy-concoction inside the bird (hence:  stuffing). We don't. Ours isn't slimy - it's mealy. :)

Thank you. 

It sounds delicious.  As a family, our stuffing was always baked separately,  I loved it when it got a slight crust on the top. 

Stuffing and dressing are the same thing, there are as many versions of stuffing/dressing as their are shades of blue. Technically speaking it is called stuffing when put inside the bird, and dressing when cooked in a separate dish. 

Oh my gosh...dressing ( stuffing ) with Mt Sico savoury. Haven't had it in years, but I want it now.

Thanks FJ. :56247955dd693_32(12):

56 minutes ago, LunaBlue said:

Thank you. 

It sounds delicious.  As a family, our stuffing was always baked separately,  I loved it when it got a slight crust on the top. 

I love that "slimy-white-bread concoction". Actually, I really love it best when its from the Pepperidge Farm crouton mix--because that's what we had on Thanksgiving. 
It's always what you grew up with and cultural about what kind of food you like, especially on holidays. For one boyfriend I had, his comfort food was tortellini in brodo, because he was from Rome and that's what his grandmother made. He found it totally repulsive that anyone would put vegetables or meat in a pasta dish--pasta is to be served with sauce (red, green or just butter) and anything else is just ick. 
I'm from the Northeast and when I lived in the South, the food, with some exceptions (soul food restaurant on the corner, NC barbecue) made me sick. Way too sweet and gloppy. Lived in the South and the Caribbean and still would rather be dragged down the highway naked with my mouth glued to the exhaust pipe of a bus than put a piece of okra in my mouth. And don't even start with mayonnaise. Can hardly write it without gagging.
It's like the chili wars, or the barbecue wars, or whatever wars--lots of us find other people's foods distasteful. 
And then there are the times when you just eat what you can get--lots of fancy-fancy foods were what people could get their hands on at the time. One of my "poor people cookbooks" has an introduction by the writer who said her Maritime Canadian father used to hide his sandwiches of homemade bread and lobster from his coworkers because it seemed so shameful he was poor. Polenta was just the mush you made when all you had with corn. Asparagus was a weed and catfish and crawfish were what people ate when they couldn't afford anything else and had to go to the swamp to find their food.
Now I just eat what I want. And thanksgiving I hope there will be some "slimy white bread" stuffing because that's my favorite.

I don't like NC BBQ. Kansas City/Memphis...oh hell yeah! There's a restaurant chain out here that has good BBQ, Famous Dave's. 

"Soul food" isn't anything but southern cooking. Greens, okra, cornbread, fried chicken...GTF outta my way...this fat girl will eat until she can't fit another bite. 

I'll eat just about anything but prefer American, Italian & Latin American foods the best. I can live off rice & black beans y'all. The mother was a shitty cook so I never really got to experience Cuban foods, I mean, this woman could fuck up mac & cheese. My grandmother would make sauerbraten, spetzle, and other yummies when I was a kid. Love that stuff too. 

Now that I'll have a better kitchen, I'll have to expand my repertoire..

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Yankees use white bread; 

Not this yankee! We only make it with cornbread.

*sigh*What a time to have to count carbs. This drift is not helping ...

*WiseGirl shuffles off muttering something about celery alone does not make a good substitute for stuffing.

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Leftovers: I was raised in a leftover-loving household. I routinely brought in leftovers for lunch from elementary school onwards, and my family even has a term called MAMA-ing: if we're eating a big meal and there will be leftovers, but only enough for one person (or you want to eat multiple servings), you MAMA it: Mine And Mine Alone. I think eating tons of leftovers influenced my love of meal prepping and cold pizza/pasta. I'm looking forward to coming home for a few days around the holidays because it will mean my dad's lasagne...and even better, eating my dad's lasagne the next day straight out of the fridge, not even bothering to microwave it because it's that damn good. 

Also, I really like to make new meals out of leftovers, as does the rest of my family; my dad's favorite post-Thanksgiving dish is to take the leftover turkey and make turkey tikka masala. I like to take the dregs of my meal preps (i.e. whatever wasn't enough to make into another meal box) and make up stir fries or salads. As long as you know how long you have to get through something, or you freeze it, leftovers are awesome, especially stews and pastas because the flavors get more time to meld together. 

I sooooo wish I liked leftovers. I am trying to- we need to trim our grocery budget, and part of that is less waste. Also, now I want a piece of your dad's lasagna. ; ) That's a leftover I can get behind.

Growing up, Friday night was leftover night. Mom pulled the little Corning Ware containers out of the fridge and reheated their contents. After more than one Friday night of eating things in the containers that I didn't remember eating the first time, I started accusing Mom of going up and down the street, collecting neighbors' leftovers, and feeding them to us! (She didn't, but it has been a lifelong joke.)

so I went and watched the left over scene and I'm sitting here thinking why and how? first he starts cooking saying he had to watch everything he put in the food because Lauren can't handle gluten. even reading the ingredients on the spices. then he just dumps a bunch of  random left overs (Which he didn't seem to know what was all contained in the boxes)  in a pan and feeds them to her. something does not add up. 

On 8/11/2018 at 12:22 AM, TatiFish9 said:

@justoneoftwo

I am not sure if you are familiar with these two, but I range practicing contemporary Christian from the likes of TD Jakes (Woman Thou are Loose - written in his very conservative days) and Carl Lentz ( pastor to the stars; Justin Beiber' s "pastor").

Contemporary Christians differ from conservative in that while they may believe the bible is the infallible word of God (some do not), they also acknowledge that it's inspired, open to interpretation, and meant as a source of unity not division. They are also more likely to believe it is okay for Christians to enjoy the natural world and live in it. Conservatives often believe that Christians are in the world but not of it. Therefore practicing Christians are different, separate and holier and therefore better (less be honest).  This is always shown by their actions (abstaining from worldly behaviors like secular ...everything. Including (not limited to) drinking, cursing,dancing, having an identity outside the church...)  and often in their appearance. Also contemporary focuses on modern worship service, less if at all any liturgy, denomination requirements and dress code.) Contempory Christian houses the most progressively extremes including the few who are open and affirming, require multiculturalism and promote interfaith ministries (and sometimes worship like UCC, U/U, Unity and Evangelical Lutherans). We know the most extreme groups of Conservative Christians are fundamentalists which can be broken down into sub groups of their own (IFB, Mormons, OO Amish/Men etc)

Of course, like any major division, there will be churches that ride the middle of the divide, swinging both ways. Some conservative groups have now become "hip" and appear contemporary to capture young members, but at core still believe the Bible is literal in every word and should apply to everyone. Also there will be outlier members who attend one kind but live like the other. The deliniations are not always clear.

Btw, many contemporary Christians practice church segregation (sometimes not by choice) and believe homosexuality is a sin. Therefore those views will not separate them from conservatives.

About Jinjer - 

Jinger posted secular lyrics from a secular love song. Contemporary.

They openly promote modern gender roles. Sports for Jinger. Daddy duty for Jeremy while studying. Contemporary.

Comfortably having friendships with non-christians ( this one is huge). Contemporary.

Non modest dress (not always contemporary).

A focus on local mission work instead of mostly international? (Contempory) ETA, I don't have enough proof of this. 

Does this mean they are confirmed contemporary Christians? No. I just believe as a couple they are slowly heading that way. Although Jeremy's seminary choice discourages my thoughts on this a bit. lol 

Honestly, I think these are mostly Jeremy ideas. Where he goes she will most likely follow. Still, I could be completely wrong.

Very interesting explanation. Following your definition I would say at least 80% of all people who would identify as Christians (not the ones who are christened-those are way more than the ones still practicing religion) in my country are actually contemporary. And I would argue this hasn’t changed since the 90‘s. 

I love me some good leftovers. And I love getting a cold turkey and stuffing sandwich in the morning after the 25th (we celebrate Christmas at the 24th with my family and again on the 25th my English in laws- so we get the best of both worlds).

But I would never heat up leftovers for a date, especially food I actually don’t know. I mean spaghetti with a nice sauce and a simple side dish salad and a candle would have been absolutely fine and isn’t that much work either.

There are meals that actually taste better the next day because the spices come out better (some spaghetti sauces, sometimes lasagna, definitely goulash and chilli...).

I don’t get it. They say he loves to cook, he read the labels because of her intolerance and that was the outcome? It is quite insulting.

Joe and Kendra‘s new home looked lovely on the inside. I was surprised how much they toned down the in-your-face-farmhouse-shabby-chic-beige-grey style. The bedroom looked really really nice (even though not my taste but still) and the whole cabin seemed to have one concept in decoration. I am often surprised to see entrance doors leading straight into a living room and find it kind of impractical for heating reasons, storing dirty shoes and clothes and such. Maybe you almost never see it here because we often don’t have a back entrance into an utility room but rather a big door from living room to patio (which you wouldn’t use with dirty/wet shoes or clothes either.

Ahhhh nevermind. Now, that I think of it I am not sure if I confuse their entrance situation with Zach and Whitney Bates one.

6 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I am often surprised to see entrance doors leading straight into a living room and find it kind of impractical for heating reasons, storing dirty shoes and clothes and such. Maybe you almost never see it here because we often don’t have a back entrance into an utility room but rather a big door from living room to patio (which you wouldn’t use with dirty/wet shoes or clothes either.

It's rare to have an airlock-type entry into the main areas of homes in the USA. (We've had this discussion before on FJ... lol)

Most homes have mudroom entries, either from the garage or at the back door, if they have one at all. I have only lived in ONE house (out of 20-or-so) that actually had a mudroom, though. My in-laws' house in England doesn't have an "entry vestibule" either - their 'front' door opens into short hallway (like - 3' long) that dumps right into their dining room. Their back door opens directly into their kitchen.

there are two episodes on tonight.  I think they want to end the season before it starts. And since they show everything online no one is watching 

4 hours ago, nst said:

there are two episodes on tonight.  I think they want to end the season before it starts. And since they show everything online no one is watching 

they have been cramming two episodes a night in for a little while now. they were at least doing it last season two. this time I think they are trying to catch up with real time more though. from there promo I think they will go right up to a full episode of Garrett's birth. 

^ I agree, I think they are trying to play Catch up- though I think the season may end on a fuller wedding episode of Josiah and Lauren because we know that Abbie Grace and John David's relationship is upcoming here soon so I imagine they will have an episode on that before the wedding of Josiah and Lauren.  We'll see, but I am very glad they're finally catching up on things. it was slower than a turtle's pace before this season!

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived