IGNORED

John David and Abbie Grace 3: Rapture Pending

Coconut Flan

I don't think they'll wait either, but I'm far less uncomfortable with a couple in their late-twenties who both have careers and living experience having a honeymoon baby than say, a sheltered 19-year-old.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any other Walmart pick up fans get excited when they "score" on a substitution?

Last time I got two 8 packs of lime Bubly instead of the 12 pack of generic lime seltzer I ordered.  Plus a 24 of string cheese instead of a 12 pack.  It was like winning a small lottery.    

8 minutes ago, freshlemonade said:

Any other Walmart pick up fans get excited when they "score" on a substitution?

Last time I got two 8 packs of lime Bubly instead of the 12 pack of generic lime seltzer I ordered.  Plus a 24 of string cheese instead of a 12 pack.  It was like winning a small lottery.    

But do you have to pay the extra? Honest question.

No.  If they have to substitute an item and the new item is more expensive, you don't pay the difference.  If the substitution is cheaper than your original item, you get refunded the difference.  You also have the option of refusing the substitutions (for a refund). 

I don't think a honeymoon baby is objectively a bad thing. I'll be getting married a month before my 26th birthday and I would love to have a honeymoon baby. I want a large family (4,5,6 kids) and in my family, it usually takes 1-2 years to "get going." Many of my relatives have had multiple miscarriages before successfully having large families. While many women my age are waiting until late 20s/early 30s to get married (until they have stable finances and felt they were productive enough in their career to possibly quit forever), once they do, they are trying to havekids right away. I feel the biological clock . . . I know I am not as healthy and do not have as much energy as I did even three years ago!  

Now, a honeymoon baby at age 19 when you hardly know your spouse is a different story. 

1 hour ago, kmachete14 said:

I don't think a honeymoon baby is objectively a bad thing. I'll be getting married a month before my 26th birthday and I would love to have a honeymoon baby. I want a large family (4,5,6 kids) and in my family, it usually takes 1-2 years to "get going." Many of my relatives have had multiple miscarriages before successfully having large families. While many women my age are waiting until late 20s/early 30s to get married (until they have stable finances and felt they were productive enough in their career to possibly quit forever), once they do, they are trying to havekids right away. I feel the biological clock . . . I know I am not as healthy and do not have as much energy as I did even three years ago!  

Now, a honeymoon baby at age 19 when you hardly know your spouse is a different story. 

I mean, a honeymoon baby when you've already been practicing making babies for a couple of years is different than when you haven't ...

4 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I mean, a honeymoon baby when you've already been practicing making babies for a couple of years is different than when you haven't ...

Let me tell ya... honeymoon babies no matter what are just hard. Of course I love my son but it was a very rough 2 year intro to marriage and we lived together before hand too. I think overall our relationship is stronger for it because we had to communicate a lot and we learned a lot about how we operate under a lot of stress. (Bed rest 18 weeks, post partum depression, colicky baby for 9 months). I would've liked a chance to be a young married couple though. But I'm also super grateful that our little guy is here and healthy (and more often happy now) and I feel very fourtunate I was able to get pregnant and the doctors expect no issues with any future pregnancy. It was a freak occurrence. 

When you a 19 year old virgin whose never been alone with a guy outside your family before though.... I think I might have actually lost my damn mind.

25 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

When you a 19 year old virgin whose never been alone with a guy outside your family before though.... I think I might have actually lost my damn mind.

I feel the same way. If I would to ever marry (unlikely at this point) I would want to live with the person beforehand. 

1 minute ago, Jana814 said:

I feel the same way. If I would to ever marry (unlikely at this point) I would want to live with the person beforehand. 

Oh for sure! Relationships are entirely different when you can tell them to go home haha I remember the first time I wanted to tell him hey can you go home tonight I just want some me time but then I realized that this was home.

2 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

Oh for sure! Relationships are entirely different when you can tell them to go home haha I remember the first time I wanted to tell him hey can you go home tonight I just want some me time but then I realized that this was home.

I live alone and I like my peace and quiet. Also do to my job (I’m a dog sitter) I spend a lot time away from my place. 

Hey, I just wanted to chime-in on the grocery store pick-ups thread drift and give an insiders perspective, because that's my job (at Kroger, not Walmart, but honestly what's the difference?)

As far as the forty-minute wait, that sounds insane. We've definitely had customers wait that long, but only when we get behind on shopping. For instance, earlier today we were looking bad--I was the only person on the clock to shop and at 1:30 there were two full runs due at 3 and a freezer run due at 3. I got the last run back at 3:04, which means we definitely had late orders, which doesn't mean much other than my manager getting in trouble with her boss since no customers showed up in that time. We were waiting on the deli counter until about 3:20 though.

As far as customers helping unload their cars, I find it's usually the moms who get out and help. Our department has only two guys and the rest of us are girls, and I can tell you, we all get a little frustrated when done big guy orders three flats of water and sits in his car while we unload it. That's not even hyperbole.

Also, when it comes to substitutions, we definitely have a policy in place (sub size first, then brand, then container, then flavor) but I can tell you it's a little harder than that. Like, if I'm shopping and someone wants organic pear-spinach baby food and we're out I have to think, like ok there's this other flavor from the same brand but it's banana sweet potato and the baby might not like it, or there's this other organic brand peach-kale flavor which is close, but what if there's some ingredient aversion there which is why she ordered from brand 1 and not brand 2 and of course I'm not allowed to sub the non-organic pear-spinach baby food and I have to make these decisions really quick since I'm being timed. I always tell customers to try and put in there special instructions how they want substitutes made so that I can KNOW what they want rather than guess, and sometimes I get this really snide comment like "well that defeats the purpose of ordering online." And I'm like well, so does me guessing wrong and getting something that won't work for you!

Mostly people are nice, but if course it's the mean ones who stick with you.

@TheYoungCurmudgeon That makes a lot of sense. I use Instacart a ton, because all the grocery stores deliver to me, and I have no vehicle. I find the special instruction thing helpful. Also, paying attention to my phone in the window I know the shopping is happning - because you’re right, those substiutions happen really fast. You always get a notification about a change, but if you don’t respond immediately...they move on.

But I try to give 3-4 other kinds of ice cream or hummus... because it really sucks to not pay attention and get the wrong kind

:(

19 hours ago, TheYoungCurmudgeon said:

Also, when it comes to substitutions, we definitely have a policy in place (sub size first, then brand, then container, then flavor) but I can tell you it's a little harder than that. Like, if I'm shopping and someone wants organic pear-spinach baby food and we're out I have to think, like ok there's this other flavor from the same brand but it's banana sweet potato and the baby might not like it, or there's this other organic brand peach-kale flavor which is close, but what if there's some ingredient aversion there which is why she ordered from brand 1 and not brand 2 and of course I'm not allowed to sub the non-organic pear-spinach baby food and I have to make these decisions really quick since I'm being timed. I always tell customers to try and put in there special instructions how they want substitutes made so that I can KNOW what they want rather than guess, and sometimes I get this really snide comment like "well that defeats the purpose of ordering online." And I'm like well, so does me guessing wrong and getting something that won't work for you!

Mostly people are nice, but if course it's the mean ones who stick with you.

Thanks for the insight on ClickList substitutions.  I've learned to be super specific about substitutions because I've not been happy with some of them.

My one complaint about ClickList is that I can't see my substitutions until my order is brought to me.  It would be helpful if I could find out what they are once my order is put together.  I don't like to refuse substitutions, but one time I had to due to food allergies.  I think I've made this comment in like 15 different surveys...lol.

Some of the substitutions I've had have been... odd.  Once I ordered fiber capsules for my husband and they were out, so they substituted calcium tablets instead... Nowhere near the same thing!  I try to include a note on any items where I'm picky about subs.  For instance, I actively dislike vanilla or strawberry yogurt..  Because those happen to be the most popular flavors of yogurt with everyone but me, if they need to sub my Orange Cream or Lemon Meringue yogurt, I have a high probability of getting the yucky vanilla or strawberry unless I remember to add a note stating I don't want them.

Strawberry does not equal every other berry. That’s an important one!

There are so many darn yogurts. I usually go in the store for that. Entirely too complicated.

I agree there. I have very specific types of yogurt I buy. Ones that don’t have artificial sweeteners are hard to find sometimes and you often have to read the ingredients to be sure. Even yogurts that aren’t “light” will sometimes have artificial sweeteners. And aspartame isn’t the only one that is used so you would need to recognize them by chemical name. 

I’m in love with clicklist. In love. I’m not picky about substitutions. I offered to help load and they told me not to? Also they say they can’t accept tips. I’ve tried both. Did you j ow you can use the Kroger app and load coupons that will be applied to your clicklist order? Just love it. Life changing!

On 9/6/2018 at 2:01 PM, freshlemonade said:

No.  If they have to substitute an item and the new item is more expensive, you don't pay the difference.  If the substitution is cheaper than your original item, you get refunded the difference.  You also have the option of refusing the substitutions (for a refund). 

I love walmart pickup.  Ours is set so that you pickup 48 hours after you order.  But, you can add things up until 1:45 am the day you pick up.  I always add things which makes for a happy shopping trip.  Now last time I was there they forgot my frozen stuff.  I called they immediately refunded my card AND they gave me a twenty dollar discount for my next order.  I was impressed.

On 9/10/2018 at 11:54 AM, tamjamb said:

Some of the substitutions I've had have been... odd.  Once I ordered fiber capsules for my husband and they were out, so they substituted calcium tablets instead... Nowhere near the same thing!  I try to include a note on any items where I'm picky about subs.  For instance, I actively dislike vanilla or strawberry yogurt..  Because those happen to be the most popular flavors of yogurt with everyone but me, if they need to sub my Orange Cream or Lemon Meringue yogurt, I have a high probability of getting the yucky vanilla or strawberry unless I remember to add a note stating I don't want them.

How do you add a note.  Ive never seen that option.

Are cold goods and frozen items insulated? Can you drop off your reusable bags or turn the ones the store has packed them in at the next pickup? 

I'm fascinated by this, I absolutely love grocery shopping so I probably won't use it much, but it could be great in a pinch. Like get off the airplane, have groceries waiting, have fridge full all in one go.

On 9/6/2018 at 12:01 PM, freshlemonade said:

Nice! That’s good to know. Safeway I have to do no substitutions, because they charge more if the substituted item is more expensive - and 90% of what I get is on sale. That can get real expensive, real fast! 

They stopped having Amazon Fresh in my area, which was disappointing- I loved their insulated bags !

@EyesOpen Yeah, we are not supposed to accept tips, it's a Kroger policy. I do... Because I don't get enough hours to live off of my wage and also I'm broke and I like to buy stuff. If you really want to time someone, say something like, "I will be offended if you refuse" and they might be able to take it then. Also, it might just be who you've got unloading your order who doesn't want you to help--all two of the guys in my department don't like having to have ladies help them.

@cascarones Yes, every clicklist department has refrigerators and freezers. We actually shop by temperature too; instead of shopping say Person A's whole order at once, I'll shop two of her ambient totes plus person B's and C's ambient totes, while my coworker shops all their refrigeratorated totes at the same time. That's also why if you want to order something from the deli hot bar, you can't on the website, because we don't have anywhere to hold it, but if you call a couple minutes ahead of your pickup and ask them to add a deli hot bar item, they should be able to (provided the delis in stock)

On 9/6/2018 at 7:58 PM, Daisy0322 said:

When you a 19 year old virgin 

I know you just unintentionally dropped the "r" here, but this still made me laugh.  As in...You is smart.  You is kind.  You a 19 year old virgin.

So what's the current guess on when this wedding is going to be?  October 27?  Sooner?  Who is keeping tabs on what else is going on in fundie-land (big weddings/events that would conflict) in the next 2 months?

3 hours ago, cascarones said:

Are cold goods and frozen items insulated? Can you drop off your reusable bags or turn the ones the store has packed them in at the next pickup? 

I'm fascinated by this, I absolutely love grocery shopping so I probably won't use it much, but it could be great in a pinch. Like get off the airplane, have groceries waiting, have fridge full all in one go.

The first time I did it was at Christmas time - to completely avoid the grocery store during the holiday rush? Sign.me.UP

6 hours ago, Cheetah said:

So what's the current guess on when this wedding is going to be?  October 27?  Sooner?  Who is keeping tabs on what else is going on in fundie-land (big weddings/events that would conflict) in the next 2 months?

Nope, later. I got my invite a couple of weeks ago & think i may actually go to this one!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived