IGNORED

John David and Abbie Grace 3: Rapture Pending

Coconut Flan

On 8/24/2018 at 12:23 PM, feministxtian said:

Or maybe JD and Abbie just don't give a shit

JD wasn't on my radar to be the [first] one to escape. With a seemingly educated woman at his side, disdain for what the turd did, and newly discovered freedom, maybe JD will write the tell-all book. On the other hand, maybe he and Abbie will just go off and live a normal, albeit conservative Christian, life together.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/22/2018 at 4:24 AM, Kjaerringa said:

I love going to the grocery store when I travel. I always pick up things to bring home that are cheaper there, more expensive or not available at home...especially when I go to Norway. I always declare everything, and so far have never lost anything to customs...not even reindeer sausage, moose sausage, goat cheese.. not even pine seedlings or a rosebush! 

I love to bring back things like dish towels or pillow covers...things you use daily, but remind you of your travels. I've also brought horn salt, packaged mixes for waffles, baker's chocolate, spices, measuring cups/spoons in metric...all things I need to recreate recipes. Anything that is a local staple that is legal to fly.

Ah, the joys of brunost, melkesjokolade, Toro vaffelmiks...! I presume you have brought a lot of cheese slicers with you? ;)

13 hours ago, Thorns said:

Ah, the joys of brunost, melkesjokolade, Toro vaffelmiks...! I presume you have brought a lot of cheese slicers with you? ;)

My husband loves brunost, I don't and he once fed it to our daughter. Her reaction to the taste was "This does not taste like cheese, it only tastes brown, brown and angry!". My son likes it though but he is very much like his father in so many ways. 

I am thread drifting back to grocery stores for a minute to announce that I am no longer a Walmart Grocery Pickup Virgin!  :pearlclutching:

I really liked ordering the groceries online--I found it really easy and found everything i wanted.  They ended up subbing 3 things, which was fine, and they didn't have 2 items, also ok.  Everything they packed was great & it was super cheap.

BUT---and this is a really big BUT---

I waited 40 minutes from the time I pulled into the pickup spot until the guy loaded my groceries into my car!  WTF?  Is that normal? Because I was not expecting that at all.  I could have done my own shopping in that time!  They emailed me and said everything was ready, so I called them (for some reason I can't get the app on my phone???).  The email said if you didn't have the app, to call them. No answer, but I left a message.  I pulled into the spot and called again, as the sign instructed me to do---again, no answer, but a staffer came out after about 5 minutes and checked me in through a tablet kind of thing.  Said it'd be ready in just a bit.  It was 40 minutes!!!???

40 minutes is ridiculous! It's supposed to be a time-saver!!! 

I have no personal experience and hope others who've been successful at WMGPU can weigh in.

43 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Said it'd be ready in just a bit.  It was 40 minutes!!!???

I've done Wal-mart grocery pickup a few times and it usually only takes 10-15 minutes.  I would give it another chance...it may have been a fluke.  My one complaint about Wal-mart pickup is that you can't use coupons.  

I do Kroger grocery pickup now rather than Wal-mart because I can generally save more than the pickup fee costs me by using digital coupons (plus they have Free Item Friday).  Plus, I think Kroger store brands are better than Great Value...and a small percentage of my purchase goes to my kids' school PTA.  

7 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I am thread drifting back to grocery stores for a minute to announce that I am no longer a Walmart Grocery Pickup Virgin!  :pearlclutching:

I really liked ordering the groceries online--I found it really easy and found everything i wanted.  They ended up subbing 3 things, which was fine, and they didn't have 2 items, also ok.  Everything they packed was great & it was super cheap.

I waited 40 minutes from the time I pulled into the pickup spot until the guy loaded my groceries into my car!  WTF?  Is that normal? Because I was not expecting that at all.  I could have done my own shopping in that time!  They emailed me and said everything was ready, so I called them (for some reason I can't get the app on my phone???).  The email said if you didn't have the app, to call them. No answer, but I left a message.  I pulled into the spot and called again, as the sign instructed me to do---again, no answer, but a staffer came out after about 5 minutes and checked me in through a tablet kind of thing.  Said it'd be ready in just a bit.  It was 40 minutes!!!???

Wow, that has not been my experience. I've never had to wait more than five minutes for them to come load my car, and that's usually because they're loading someone else's car first. They also have never had me sign before the groceries made it outside. I'm sorry that was your experience! Hopefully it was just an off day?

The main convenience for me is not having to haul my kids out of the car but my 11 week old only tolerates the car seat for so long, especially if the car isn't moving. 40 minutes would be completely unacceptable for me, partly because like you said, I could do my own shopping in that time, and partly because my kid would most likely be screaming at that point!

Just chiming in that I typically wait, at most, ten minutes for Walmart grocery pickup. I love it because there is basically nothing worse than wandering around Walmart. The only issue I have is that they insist that I stay inside my car and not help them load up the groceries. I have a hard time watching someone do physical work and not helping them. But that’s just my Iowa talking. 

I know John and Abbie aren’t married yet- not sure I trust the Registration date, however, I’d like to see them go on a cruise for their honeymoon. None of the siblings have done that before and JD could try some new foods or eat what he likes each day. 

On 8/27/2018 at 2:26 AM, ViolaSebastian said:

Just chiming in that I typically wait, at most, ten minutes for Walmart grocery pickup. I love it because there is basically nothing worse than wandering around Walmart. The only issue I have is that they insist that I stay inside my car and not help them load up the groceries. I have a hard time watching someone do physical work and not helping them. But that’s just my Iowa talking. 

Fortunately they don't mind us getting out and helping here (AL) or I probably wouldn't use the service. It would feel too weird having them do all the work! 

17 hours ago, coexist said:

Fortunately they don't mind us getting out and helping here (AL) or I probably wouldn't use the service. It would feel too weird having them do all the work! 

I only use it if I'm sick or in some way can't do it myself (like when I was on bed rest). But yeah I do feel really awkward about just sitting there too. They aren't allowed to accept tips either. 

Not at My Walmart. People usually get out of the car to help. It just goes faster  and many people are picky about how the grocery’s are loaded. And people do take tips..they just are slick about it ;)

On 8/26/2018 at 7:27 PM, Satan'sFortress said:

I waited 40 minutes from the time I pulled into the pickup spot until the guy loaded my groceries into my car!  WTF?  Is that normal?

I've done grocery store pickup at Kroger many times (just about every week for nearly a year), and never had to wait longer than 15 minutes.  Mostly it's 5 - 10 minutes; the one time it was 15ish was the Friday before a 3 day weekend, so they were extra busy.

It's almost revolutionized my life.  My husband and I are empty nesters and we like to do 'stuff' on the weekend (motorcycling, camping, drinking in bars and breweries...), so being able to stop off at the grocery store on my way home from work and just grab the following week's vittles is so awesome for us.  

That said, I have done pickup from Walmart only twice.  The first time, my wait was 45 minutes - no thanks!  I gave them another try after several months and only had to wait 10 -15, so I guess the long wait was a one off.  But I just like Kroger better, so I still usually go there.

On 8/27/2018 at 11:11 PM, Markie said:

I know John and Abbie aren’t married yet- not sure I trust the Registration date, however, I’d like to see them go on a cruise for their honeymoon. None of the siblings have done that before and JD could try some new foods or eat what he likes each day. 

Too much Nike! attire, too much booze.

For grocery pick up - I live in a small town that has two questionable grocery stores. One is expensive (But open 24 hours so handy for that last minute 'oh no!') and the other is just... sketchy (food wise, not clientele)

So I like to go to the town 20-25 minutes away for my BIG grocery shops. But I also have a 5 year old and work full time (from home - so I can't easily stop between the office and the house). So grocery shopping online has been amazing. It's $3 here on weekdays and $5 on weekends. 
I also do a produce delivery service in the summer because it's all local produce and lasts crazy long. And my family will eat me out of house & home when it comes to fruits and veggies. 

On 8/26/2018 at 6:27 PM, Satan'sFortress said:

I have never waited more than five minutes.  When i remember to check in on the way they walk out the door when i pull up.

I love grocery pick up and use either Walmart or Zehrs :) Canada here.  I normally don't get home before 7pm on weekdays and after a long day of work don't want to shop before I go home and no way in hell will I go on the weekend and waste 2 hours, so it works perfectly for me!

I get almost all of our non-grocery items delivered, free shipping over $35, from Walmart. Once a month I ask everyone and walk around the house and place a big order for the month. Then two trips a month to Aldi, and on the off weeks a trip to our local grocery for whatever else we might need. I slashed my bill doing it this way, and it works well for us right now.When it's just the two of us and the kids are all grown, I will probably just go back to our local grocery  store. 

I'm curious to see if Abbie will still work once she's married, and if her and JD will have kids right away. Something about these two being a bit older and Abbie having a career and education gives me hope that they'll break the mold, but I'm not holding my breath.

Regardless, they seem like the happiest, most 'normal' courting couple of the family thus far. I like to imagine them having a couple of happily childless years just enjoying being adults who don't live with their parents.

9 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Her family's photo is literally on IBLP's website. They're not going to be any different, imo.

Exactly. She might not be part of the “Duggar crazy all hail at the altar of JB” lifestyle right now (working, pants) but this might change and if not they are still a perfect IBLP couple with lots of damage in the bag for their future offspring.

11 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I'm curious to see if Abbie will still work once she's married, and if her and JD will have kids right away. Something about these two being a bit older and Abbie having a career and education gives me hope that they'll break the mold, but I'm not holding my breath.

Regardless, they seem like the happiest, most 'normal' courting couple of the family thus far. I like to imagine them having a couple of happily childless years just enjoying being adults who don't live with their parents.

Aren't they over 30, though? I don't think I know anyone (in the South anyway) who got married at 30ish who waited more than a year/18 months to try to have their first kid. Even non-fundy career-drivem couples. They'll have a baby as fast as they can, I'm sure.

11 minutes ago, Grace said:

Aren't they over 30, though? I don't think I know anyone (in the South anyway) who got married at 30ish who waited more than a year/18 months to try to have their first kid. Even non-fundy career-drivem couples. They'll have a baby as fast as they can, I'm sure.

He is 28 and she is 26. She is still far from 30 so they can easily wait a few years.

I don't think they will, but they are not that old.

On 9/4/2018 at 3:21 PM, CarrotCake said:

He is 28 and she is 26. She is still far from 30 so they can easily wait a few years.

I don't think they will, but they are not that old.

Thing is - in their circle, they are old. When 19-year-olds get married and pop out kids on a regular basis in your proximity, you are a really old bride and first time mother at 26/27.

I agree with you that they won't wait. They'll try right away and will have a baby as soon as possible. Then I predict a bit more of a break, and that they'll have a smaller family with 3-5 kids max.

They've both had a life beyond their respective family's compound and babies, and John David remembers the early days of hellish tiny Duggar house and seems not overly keen on the craziness of a Quiverfull lifestyle. I don't think the two of them want to give up all freedom they are used to by raising an endless number of kids. 

They'll still remain fundie though. Like Joe and Kendra (albeit in a different way) they seem to really fit in and enjoy the general world of Northwest Arkansas IBLP fundie country folk.

1 hour ago, SweetJuly said:

Thing is - in their circle, they are old. When 19-year-olds get married and pop out kids on a regular basis in your proximity, you are a really old bride and first time mother at 26/27.

I honestly don't think that's true. Older than average, yes, but "really old bride?'" Even for fundies it's not unusual for women to marry at that age.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived