IGNORED

John David and Abbie Grace 3: Rapture Pending

Coconut Flan

Continued from here:

Elaborate proposal, both of the couple happy, and an expected short engagement.  

What more can we ask of a Duggar? It's better than most.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John and Abbie’s relationship reminds me a lot of my own, and I can’t help rooting for them. I’m a flight attendant from New York and I met my Texan boyfriend through a mutual friend when we took a cross-country road trip in a big group. My boyfriend and I both travel for work (in different capacities) and we hit it off right away, drunk in love with the idea of a travel buddy. I started commuting to Texas to visit him immediately, and within five weeks of dating, I joined him on a business trip to Hawaii. We were so compatible and into each other that it quickly became clear that it was right. We’ve known each other for 2.5 years now, and together we’ve visited 30 states in the US, in addition to 9 countries.

This has been the most fun I’ve ever had in my life. If John and Abbie both have the travel bug and lifestyles that fit together, I can see why they’ve been swept up in so much excitement. 

The Hill Country is gorgeous, it doesn't surprise me that people like to honeymoon there... There's lot's to do fairly close as well, city wise, so you can get the best of both worlds 

Now Abbie can do his laundry instead of his sisters. He must be thrilled. 

@HarleyQuinn, yep it was that little gem that's helping me "keep it real" about John David and Abby. I have no indication that he is anything other than a big fan of gender roles: he gets to do "fun" stuff like flying and fishing with his sons while his wife and daughters get to do all the housework. I understand having a soft spot for JD, I really do. However, this is a grown man who was perfectly happy to pursue his hobbies and "jaunt about" while letting his sisters cook and do laundry for him. Case in point: once JD has taken flown his family somewhere, he gets to put up his heels and relax, job done. Once Jana arrives on a family trip, her job of watching other people's children has just begun.

Am I the only one thinking that JD and Abbie started off as close friends prior to courting? Hard to say how long, could have been a few months or even a couple years. With how comfortable they are with each other, there's their ages, but it's clear they have a strong bond of mutual trust and respect, too strong to have just after a month of courting. That is, unless they were already close. 

Tbh flying his family around (I’m not sure if they compensate him) is not a small task. They must save at least $10,000 per year on airfare with him, and being a pilot is a pretty exhausting job. 

7 hours ago, agentshade said:

Am I the only one thinking that JD and Abbie started off as close friends prior to courting? Hard to say how long, could have been a few months or even a couple years. With how comfortable they are with each other, there's their ages, but it's clear they have a strong bond of mutual trust and respect, too strong to have just after a month of courting. That is, unless they were already close. 

I think they're just really, really horny. 

6 minutes ago, JoiseyGoil said:

Tbh flying his family around (I’m not sure if they compensate him) is not a small task. They must save at least $10,000 per year on airfare with him, and being a pilot is a pretty exhausting job. 

I'm sure it's a tiring job and goodness knows flight safety is a really big deal. However, JD really seems to enjoy it. Being a family pilot would not be comparable to flying thousands of miles around the world for a major airline. He may be a little more or even a lot more tired when he arrives than Jana but if he goes on a hike or some such he doesn't have little kids tagging along. No one asks JD to change a diaper. At least he doesn't have to burn extra energy figuring out when he will get to do his laundry the way pilots in the secular world do. JD did choose to get his pilot's license for at least partly his own love of flying. Jana's child care revolves around children that aren't even hers. I do stand by my perception that the males in this cult get to more "fun" things than the females. Many moons ago, @formergothardite mentioned at the ATI conferences that males got to do more fun things than females did like the rock wall. I am not saying Jana is a prisoner or doesn't have her hobbies she loves. I think she does. However, I have not one bit of doubt she is more infantalized and called upon. 

So many future thread title possibilities:

JD and Abbie: Cleared for Takeoff

JD and Abbie: Weather Delays

JD and Abbie: Up Up and Away

JD and Abbie: Flight Canceled  [lets hope not]

JD and Abbie: Mechanical Difficulties

JD and Abbie: Long Layover

JD and Abbie: Short Connection

56 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Many moons ago, @formergothardite mentioned at the ATI conferences that males got to do more fun things than females did like the rock wall.

Yes. They still do this if you look at the family conference schedule. In one of the rare interviews with Kelly Bates where she discussed her involvement with ATI the person interviewing her pointed out that the boys got to do all this really fun stuff while the girls sat inside memorizing Bible verses and doing pretty lame crafts. The person asked Kelly why girls don't get the opportunity to do fun out door things because many would enjoy that and Kelly sort of giggled and said said that they would have to think about that. :pb_rollseyes:

2 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Yes. They still do this if you look at the family conference schedule. In one of the rare interviews with Kelly Bates where she discussed her involvement with ATI the person interviewing her pointed out that the boys got to do all this really fun stuff while the girls sat inside memorizing Bible verses and doing pretty lame crafts. The person asked Kelly why girls don't get the opportunity to do fun out door things because many would enjoy that and Kelly sort of giggled and said said that they would have to think about that. :pb_rollseyes:

I remember that. I also remember the girls inside singing about how much fun it was to wash the dishes and take out the trash. Seemed like a little bit of brainwashing to me. 

9 hours ago, agentshade said:

But if that were the case, why would they lie about it and say they’d known “of” each other for years but didn’t truly meet and start actually getting to know each other until a few months ago? Unfortunately I think they’re telling the truth - they really haven’t known each other long at all. This is yet another rushed fundie relationship.

I think JD comes across as a much nicer, more responsible guy than Josh - especially following the publicity of Josh's "behaviors" - but JD is also the guy I remember posing with rifles and helping trash cars at weddings.  I have mixed feelings about him.  I do believe he'll treat Abbie well, has a terrific work ethic, and is apparently scandal-free.  I don't know how he would respond if, say, Abbie had a pregnancy that threatened her life. 

I hope that Jana is happy where she is and that JD's engagement doesn't amplify any sensitivity she might have (or not have) about being single.

I remember watching the first special, the one where Jackson was born.  He's what, 13 now?  Holy crap time flies.

@justoneoftwo I hope I’m wrong too, but I won’t be surprised if there isn’t a pregnancy gap. Hopefully we won’t hear any pregnancy announcements until at least November, and I would love it if SiRen pulled a JinJer (but I’m doubtful).

I'm pretty sure Jessa's still not pregnant. I think the only couples who could reasonably announce in the near future are Jill and Derick or Josh and Anna. Kendra, Joy, and Lauren could all theoretically be pregnant right now, but it would be too soon to announce (and I would really hope that Kendra isn't pregnant again yet, because yikes - same for Joy, really).

15 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I'm pretty sure Jessa's still not pregnant. I think the only couples who could reasonably announce in the near future are Jill and Derick or Josh and Anna. Kendra, Joy, and Lauren could all theoretically be pregnant right now, but it would be too soon to announce (and I would really hope that Kendra isn't pregnant again yet, because yikes - same for Joy, really).

I agree.  I also think its too early for Jill.  The boys are spaced with the minimum recommended time between them.  I don't know that this is luck, and if not Sam isn't old enough for them to be trying again.

I think the announcements will be Lauren, Jill, Anna, Jessa, Kendra, Abbie, Joy and will start in mid fall.

It was mentioned in the previous thread that is now closed about Mercedes having been a name in the past. My mom's middle name is Mercedes. 

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

So many future thread title possibilities:

JD and Abbie: Long Layover

This can be the thread title when we're discussing their honeymoon. I'll show myself out now.

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

But if that were the case, why would they lie about it and say they’d known “of” each other for years but didn’t truly meet and start actually getting to know each other until a few months ago? Unfortunately I think they’re telling the truth - they really haven’t known each other long at all. This is yet another rushed fundie relationship.

Oh, I had no idea they said that. Perhaps @HarleyQuinn is right and they're just horny after all. :shifty: I was expecting too much.

1 minute ago, agentshade said:

Oh, I had no idea they said that. Perhaps @HarleyQuinn is right and they're just horny after all. :shifty: I'm expecting too much.

People always say 'they're horny!' like that's the one and only thing that could drive these lightning speed courtships. While I'm 100% sure horniness is a factor for most of them, I think there are a ton of other factors beyond that. Wanting to get out of the house, wanting to be considered an adult by their community, wanting a partner in life, wanting to have children, wanting to lock down a relationship before anyone has second thoughts, wanting to appear super holy (because short courtships/engagements prove that it was all ordained by God, ya'll!), getting swept up in the romantic side of things, being pressured by family, having short relationships leading to marriage as the norm amongst the people they're closest to...

I haven‘t followed up with the last thread but do we know if JD proposed at Oshkosh Air Show? There was a picture on IG of the Duggars at the Aur Show.

Just now, Smash! said:

I haven‘t followed up with the last thread but do we know if JD proposed at Oshkosh Air Show? There was a picture on IG of the Duggars at the Aur Show.

I think someone on here found out that John proposed in TX because they found a hotel (?) that had the same sign that John used that said “will you marry me”

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived