IGNORED

Classical Conversations as Vision Forum 2.0?

GenerationCedarchip

When CC first got popular here, I looked at it and saw a quick road to mom burn-out, something I saw a lot growing up homeschooled. That and I won't touch anything that promotes Doug Wilson, even if the book they sell was intended for private Classical schools, not home schooling. I've had a couple friends do it, off and on, and an acquaintance was a leader for a couple years. All eventually quit, partially because of the cost, one because her child was doing better self-directed. 

One friend decided the program was doing a disservice to the little kids (children of teachers, younger siblings), who were expected to spend the day sitting with a couple tween girls, watching movies, and staying out of the way. She ended up pulling her older kid and running basically a preschool program that she wrote herself. That was pretty short lived and I wonder now if she ran afoul of the national leadership doing that.

Overall, I think it has a hard time competing with the charter school movement, which is why they throw around the word "like-minded" so much. Why pay all that money when you can get much of your curriculum and private lessons free? 

Bonus screen grab from a local CC ad.

Spoiler

20180802_071153.jpg

11 minutes ago, Petronella said:

What is the deal with the misused semicolons??

I'm hoping it was a formatting issue with copy/paste, or something, but the typos "christain" and "regulary" make me doubt it. My other explanation is drunk posting, since it was close to midnight. Regardless, my version of like-minded requires proper use of semi-colons.

On 7/30/2018 at 4:37 PM, GenerationCedarchip said:

I've seen that sort of thinking from other folks, too, and it makes me sad.  CC is mighty expensive!  And it seems like the folks who do it well have to supplement a lot.

As I mentioned, my cousin started off liking it, but even after she got disillusioned, she stayed in for a bit because  she had been told for so long that she needed CC as a tool or else her kids just wouldn't be successful, etc..

I may have to check out the Well-Trained Mind forums. My style runs more toward Charlotte Mason at least for early grades, but some of the classical philosophy does interest me. Honestly, I just want my children to learn and to enjoy learning and I don't want to be so rigid in following any one philosophy that I start being devoted to it more than to what the kids need.

Have you looked at Ambleside Online? We haven’t been homeschooling for some years now, but AO was a lifesaver for me when I was homeschooling and trying to put Mason’s ideas into practical use.

• 2 months later...
On 8/2/2018 at 12:45 AM, Petronella said:

Are the families you describe the ones who joined or the ones who didn’t join?

For the most part, the families with college-educated parents did not join.

Archived