IGNORED

Jill and Derwood 62: Law School Rumors and Boring Sam

Coconut Flan

4 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

We always do whole baby carrots in the slow cooker, but never in my life have I seen it done with whole potatoes. I thought the baby carrots looked off too... and no other ingredients at all, or am I missing something...?

it's also got Roast beef in it. on the bottom. 

Place thawed roast in bottom of crock pot. Scrub the potatoes and rinse. Add to crock pot. Pour bags of carrots on top and toss in unwrapped bouillon cubes into pot. Slow cook on low for about 10-12 hours. Serve!

here is the finished product 

IMG_2415.jpg

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Israel is so done with Duggar weddings and pictures and probably his parents. Poor kid. :( 

I've left mini potatoes whole in one pot dishes before, but the prep time still takes at least a half hour, because fresh herbs don't chop themselves (god, I love summer time. My patio herb garden is doing so well!) 

IMG_1498.JPG

As a vegetarian I feel like I could cook meat better than half the people we snark on about cooking.

Why?

I read. About the world. I take a general interest in life around me. Tangential interest in all things related to cooking. 

The stew recipe is a pretty standard (cheaper) southern recipe. I don’t love the veggies cooked that way, but lots of people do.

It looks not bad, I hate potato skin so I would have peeled the potatoes. Her recipes though are not exactly challenging though. 

@Beermeet and @singsingsing I stand corrected. I've never used baby carrots but I guess I can see how it is an easy time saver. I'd probably still chop them in half at least so they fit on a spoon but that's just my preference I guess. I use big carrots cut into coins because something about carrot coins in my food makes me really happy. (It's the little things in life, right?)

The final product looks nasty to me, but I haven't eaten meat for well over 10 years now so I'm not the best judge. The smashed potatoes look fine I guess, so I suppose this trick sorta works? I mean, that recipe is still sad. Not even a dash of garlic powder? A sprig of rosemary? A bit of celery to liven it up a little? This is why I get a little offended when some* meat eaters act like vegetarians don't eat anything fun when they're out here eating the most boring concoctions I could possibly imagine. 

*ETA: I know y'all aren't all like this. It is usually people like the Duggars who act that way. You know, the people who consider tacos to be the most exotic of foreign foods and who's spice racks contain only salt and black pepper. 

I'm making pot roast tomorrow. I use whole carrots, washed but not peeled and cut into chunks, and an onion or two, quartered. I brown those on high heat with olive oil and a pat of butter, then remove and sear a salted and peppered roast on all sides. Then de-glaze the pan with beef stock and a swig of wine. Add all of that with a few sprigs of rosemary to a roasting pan (or slow cooker if I get up early enough) and cook. I always serve with mashed potatoes and gravy. And that's my unsolicited recipe for a roast.  ; )

7 minutes ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

@Beermeet and @singsingsing I stand corrected. I've never used baby carrots but I guess I can see how it is an easy time saver. I'd probably still chop them in half at least so they fit on a spoon but that's just my preference I guess. I use big carrots cut into coins because something about carrot coins in my food makes me really happy. (It's the little things in life, right?)

The final product looks nasty to me, but I haven't eaten meat for well over 10 years now so I'm not the best judge. The smashed potatoes look fine I guess, so I suppose this trick sorta works? I mean, that recipe is still sad. Not even a dash of garlic powder? A sprig of rosemary? A bit of celery to liven it up a little? This is why I get a little offended when some* meat eaters act like vegetarians don't eat anything fun when they're out here eating the most boring concoctions I could possibly imagine. 

*ETA: I know y'all aren't all like this. It is usually people like the Duggars who act that way. You know, the people who consider tacos to be the most exotic of foreign foods and who's spice racks contain only salt and black pepper. 

Your comment about spices cracked me up. I like to cook a lot, and have loads of spices. Well this week i was making a banana bread, and grabbed the cinnamon and measured and dumped it in with the sugar. Except it was cumin. : /  Thank Rufus I smelled the cumin right away, or that would've been a very different tasting bread. 

7 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

Your comment about spices cracked me up. I like to cook a lot, and have loads of spices. Well this week i was making a banana bread, and grabbed the cinnamon and measured and dumped it in with the sugar. Except it was cumin. : /  Thank Rufus I smelled the cumin right away, or that would've been a very different tasting bread. 

Lol I once had mulled cider made by someone who did this exact same thing, only she didn't smell the difference. It tasted... interesting. I'll never forget it. 

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Jill was able to put her pictures and Vid's of Siren's wedding back up. 

IMG_6817.jpg

I don’t have kids, so I’m not he best judge...but is Sam too big for that car seat? 

I'm glad she mentioned unwrapping the bouillon cubes. I might not have thought of that. Also, pet peeve, the chest clip on the car seat is too low.

I know this style of cooking.  My father didn't like anything "exotic."  Pot roast was quartered onions, salted and peppered beef, chunks of carrot, and quartered or eighth cut potatoes cooked for several hours on low.  It seemed normal to me because that's what I grew up eating.  Then I left the mountains and discovered flavor.  My mother amazingly found another man to marry who found chili powder too wild unless used very sparingly.  

44 minutes ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

The utter lack of any seasoning is so weird to me. And I get that alcohol is Devil Juice, but throw some red wine in there, girl! 

For my cooking adventures, today I meal prepped roasted chicken breasts (seasoned with garlic, black pepper, salt, and a bit of lemon juice -- much simpler than I usually go in terms of seasoning but I was lazy today and I wanted the veggies to take center stage), which I roasted on a bed of sliced tomatoes, broccoli, garlic, and onion, and then for the side I cooked bulgur wheat and at the end of simmering that I added sauteed mushrooms and garlic, and seasoned that mixture with salt, pepper, and the other half of the lemon that I used on the chicken and veggies. Six meals total for the week with just that, which isn't half bad. 

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

How hard is it to chop a potato before throwing it in a crock pot? 

And would it kill her to wash them first?

Just now, onekidanddone said:

And would it kill her to wash them first?

I think they are washed. at least her recipe calls for washing them. 

:laughing-rollingyellow:

Are we to believe that Jill is so busy that she can't peel potatoes, slice the potatoes and carrots (maybe for her little boy), and use seasonings other than boullion cubes?

I don't think so.

1 minute ago, Dandruff said:

Are we to believe that Jill is so busy that she can't peel potatoes, slice the potatoes and carrots (maybe for her little boy), and use seasonings other than boullion cubes?

I don't think so.

They have never heard of herbs and spices by the looks of it.

Jill's dinner does not look appetizing. Then again, I usually dislike mushy crock pot vegetables. And it's probably hard to make those types of meals look good on camera.

Izzy looks pretty over it in that photo-- whether that means he's over having Wreck for dad and Clueless Jill as mom, or if he's just over being at this wedding and wants to go home and nap, I don't know. 

I honestly love very simple meals with very simple ingredients. I’d probably add a little more to that particular recipe, but even as is it sounds fine to me. I’ve just never seen whole potatoes in a roast like that, and the carrots looked unappetizing.

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

BUT she needs her crib*, her musical hippo, her fan, and she needs to be in a sleep sack.

I'm kind of jealous of this set up right now. If they were adult sized, I could sleep like a dream!

Also, has anyone made the leap from crock pot to Instant Pot? Mine just arrived fresh from a Prime Day impulse buy. I'm staring at the box across the room while I google Instant Pot explosion disasters.

What to do!? We are vegetarian, so I am wondering if I can even use this thing. Help. 

17 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Izzy and pistol Pete

I looked at this and immediately thought Izzy was doing the "loser" hand sign. Now I can't stop chuckling to myself thinking Izzy did the "loser" sign intentionally because that's what he thinks of his dad...I know I am projecting, but I don't care.

7 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

I'm kind of jealous of all of these things right now. If they were adult sized, I could sleep like a dream!

I always thought the sleepsacks look like torture. I need to be able to stick my feet out to regulate the temperature. 

Miniway would have hated it too. He sleeps without any sort of cover and if you try to put a blanket over him he moves it in his sleep so that he’s free again. 

10 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

I'm kind of jealous of this set up right now. If they were adult sized, I could sleep like a dream!

Also, has anyone made the leap from crock pot to Instant Pot? Mine just arrived fresh from a Prime Day impulse buy. I'm staring at the box across the room while I google Instant Pot explosion disasters.

What to do!? We are vegetarian, so I am wondering if I can even use this thing. Help. 

Yes! The instapot makes some damn good black beans on the pressure cooker setting. 

To be fair, Jill wasn't the cook at the Big House was she?  Derek might like boring food, it probably suits him. 

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived