IGNORED

Jill and Derwood 62: Law School Rumors and Boring Sam

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I don’t have kids, so I’m not he best judge...but is Sam too big for that car seat? 

These kind of seats are designed for newborn stage to one year old (or older, depending on the baby weight and the model).

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

I'm kind of jealous of this set up right now. If they were adult sized, I could sleep like a dream!

Also, has anyone made the leap from crock pot to Instant Pot? Mine just arrived fresh from a Prime Day impulse buy. I'm staring at the box across the room while I google Instant Pot explosion disasters.

What to do!? We are vegetarian, so I am wondering if I can even use this thing. Help. 

Search Pinterest - it’s got tons of IP recipes. I bought the Indian Instant Pot cookbook by Urvashi Pitre, but haven’t made anything from it yet. It looks good and it’s highly recommended. Lots of Indian recipes are vegetarian or adaptable.

33 minutes ago, Greendoor said:

To be fair, Jill wasn't the cook at the Big House was she?  Derek might like boring food, it probably suits him. 

I know it’s been said a billion times already, but it’s so weird the Duggars emphasize a woman’s role is homemaker and these girls can’t cook. I get they had jurisdictions, so Jill didn’t cook, but they really should have rotated. Seriously. My dad was a better cook than she is now when he was a toddler (okay, he almost burned the house down when he tried to make fries when my grandma wasn’t looking, but that still shows way more initiative than Jill ever has).

19 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

These kind of seats are designed for newborn stage to one year old (or older, depending on the baby weight and the model).

Thanks. Is it okay for a baby’s feet to be extending beyond that kind of seat like that?

(I just don’t trust Jill with car seats after she showed off how she attaches one to a foldable stroller)

Call me crazy, but I thought Jill was the cook in the family and Jessa was on the struggle bus. IIRC, Jessa in a talking head (maybe when she was practicing cooking for the whole family) mentioned that Jill knew how to add something to make it taste just right. Nothing about her roast looks right 

15 minutes ago, AreYouThereGothard? said:

Call me crazy, but I thought Jill was the cook in the family and Jessa was on the struggle bus. IIRC, Jessa in a talking head (maybe when she was practicing cooking for the whole family) mentioned that Jill knew how to add something to make it taste just right. Nothing about her roast looks right 

can't remember who the cook was. probably Jana. I remember Jessa packed for everyone. and was the teacher  Jinger did Laundry and made the bread. that's all I really remember. 

Jill and Jana were supposed to be the cooks iirc

I don't think Sunday roasts need to be super fancy but CUT YOUR POTATOES. Find carrots that aren't pathetic looking, they shouldn't be brown when you're done.

And yes, Sam is way too big for that car seat.

I don't see anything wrong with the roast. I've had roasts with the potatoes not diced up but the potatoes were very small red ones. So what if Jill didn't cut up the potatoes, you know what I mean??

I only watched the first minuet and the last minuet, but Izzy was more in-tune and empathetic of Sam's needs then OfJill.  I’m sad for the boys, but at least Izzy is looking like a good brother.  Hopefully they can be there for each other.  

I love reading to littles, its one of my favorite things to do.  Ive read the same book to my niece over and over again just because of the joy in her face when she exclaims, 'Again!' with a bounce and a smile.  Its such a good way to bond if you act like you want to be doing it. 

6 minutes ago, LovelyLuna said:

I love reading to littles, its one of my favorite things to do.  Ive read the same book to my niece over and over again just because of the joy in her face when she exclaims, 'Again!' with a bounce and a smile.  Its such a good way to bond if you act like you want to be doing it. 

That reminds me of a video I saw yesterday, where parents showed that every time they said, “the end” and closed the book the baby started crying. I should find it. The baby probably really enjoyed how into it his parents were. And hearing a story, seeing pictures. A short, age appropriate book with enthusiastic parents can really get a baby/kid to love books.

Maybe that’s it. Derick doesn’t want the kids to love books because then they might start getting ideas. He’s fundie Gaston. Except instead of just being against women reading he’s against EVERYONE reading.

Spoiler

7D79C7CA-02F4-4BED-8B3D-C87AC9A28030.jpeg.41eaf67db56f9ac4657277118bb48fee.jpeg

Roast looks fine to me. I do the  same, but I peel/chunk the potatoes and add a whole quartered onion.

I'm of the opinion that Sam spends WAY too much time in that car seat. In the awful video of Derick "reading" to the boys, it's obvious that the back of Sam's head is flat. That's been proven to be a cause of "flat head" in babies. (link to an article about it:  https://www.technologyinmotion.com/carry-cots-car-seats-and-flat-head-syndrome/ )

3 hours ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Lol I once had mulled cider made by someone who did this exact same thing, only she didn't smell the difference. It tasted... interesting. I'll never forget it. 

Ha! I actually did this just this week with herbs! I'd prepped everything choppable for Mr. NQ, since I was supposed to be heading out with friends and that way I'd cut dinner-making time for him. I grabbed the bag of greens that I thought should be flat-leaf parsley and went to town. I got a text right after I arrived elsewhere: "That was cilantro..." Oops? He fortunately realized it in enough time to remove most of it!

That pot roast recipe is... depressing. Bland. Only whole potatoes and carrots? My roast (oven, not crock) is to season the roast (usually just salt and pepper, but occasionally other stuff), pour a few glugs of red wine over it, and start it cooking. While it does, I wash, peel if necessary, and chop potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and any other root vegetables I grabbed at the store. Parsnips are a favorite! Add them about an hour before dinner and let it cook till the meat stops running red and the vegetables are tender.

I just can't imagine whole potatoes are efficient. You save time chopping, but the whole shebang takes longer unless you parboil them or something. Her recipes just usually look so odd and unappealing.

2 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Roast looks fine to me. I do the  same, but I peel/chunk the potatoes and add a whole quartered onion.

Yeah I was thinking the same, I don't think it looks that bad at all. It's hard to make anything out of a slow cooker look good, and I'm pretty sure that some of my favourite stews, casseroles, and roasts could be described as looking a bit pukey (but delicious, though, especially with dumplings). If anything, I think Jill's roast is probably lacking in the flavour department, beef bouillon cubes alone do not a rich and satisfying flavour make.  Where's the basil? Or the rosemary? Heck even some minced garlic and some bay leaves would really take it to another level. 

But, hey, it's probably 10x more delicious and good for the kiddos than the salty messes I imagine tater tot casserole and that chickenetti thing are.

Some red wine would help tenderize the meat and add some flavor.

I would add garlic,a quartered onion,and thyme or some kind of seasoning.

Let’s face it: Jill didn’t exactly have any role models to learn what seasonings and spices could do. Her father liked tuna with ketchup (or was that BBQ sauce). Her mother fed guests vegetable-less tater tot casserole. (I make a healthy vegetable full version of it, but I  digress.)

I also doubt that Derick needs such a bland diet, despite his supposed gag reflex that was only mentioned on the show once or twice and never again. He lived in Nepal for two years. Nepal has done really good strong spices. I think that Jill really is clueless about cooking. 

When I make pot roast or beef stew in the slow cooker, I add spices or a spice packet. McCormick gluten-free beef stew works in a pinch. 

As someone who’s been on an extremely bland diet for almost a month now due to a medical issue, you never really know why someone might be eating a certain way (I mean, unless they tell you)!

Eh, my mom makes a slow cooker pot roast with potatoes and baby carrots like that. I would think its pretty decent too except I hate potatoes.

Her dress is very weird to me though. It looks like a strapless dress with an added modesty top part.

I should add to my pot roast story:  I do add lots of garlic, some salt, pepper, chives, random herbs, worcestershire sauce, water, and beef or chicken bouillon cubes.

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

As someone who’s been on an extremely bland diet for almost a month now due to a medical issue, you never really know why someone might be eating a certain way (I mean, unless they tell you)!

Yeah that's true. I grew up hating vegetables because we'd only ever have things like carrots, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower etc... boiled to fuck and served unseasoned. Turns out it's because my dad insisted upon having them that way because his own mother wasn't much of a cook and would frequently serve things that were still either uncooked or too crunchy in the middle and the texture of crunchy vegetables makes him feel sick. I understand it, and do my best to accommodate his preferences when it's my turn to serve dinner, but what I wouldn't give to be able to just make an entire pan of roasted vegetables with some texture and have everyone be happy with it.  Of course, his preferences aren't for a medical reason, and his doctor has suggested he branch out because it's not great for a person's only vegetable intake to be mushy boiled carrots, slimy green beans, and boiled-for-so-long-they've-gone-powdery mashed potatoes. But, yeah, turns out that I actually really love vegetables now that I know you can fry them up with some delicious sauce for a stir fry, and mix salad greens with dressings and cheese and eggs and sometimes mushroom and tofu and sesame seeds and all sorts of nice stuff, or actually just eat them raw. 

But yeah, the Dillards could be eating this way for any number of reasons and even though my opinion has nothing to do with it obviously, I really think Jill did a good job with this one because heaven knows it'd be easier to just dump some tinned soups and frozen veggies/potato product into a disposable baking tray and serve that, especially because we know that's what she was bought up on. Eating healthier doesn't necessarily mean eating fancier, and the little ones might actually not appreciate all that much flavour anyway. And at least this Jill actually feeds her kids, unlike soooome Jills we could mention...

21 minutes ago, freealljs said:

Let’s face it: Jill didn’t exactly have any role models to learn what seasonings and spices could do. Her father liked tuna with ketchup (or was that BBQ sauce). Her mother fed guests vegetable-less tater tot casserole. (I make a healthy vegetable full version of it, but I  digress.)

I also doubt that Derick needs such a bland diet, despite his supposed gag reflex that was only mentioned on the show once or twice and never again. He lived in Nepal for two years. Nepal has done really good strong spices. I think that Jill really is clueless about cooking. 

When I make pot roast or beef stew in the slow cooker, I add spices or a spice packet. McCormick gluten-free beef stew works in a pinch. 

I’ll give her mercy, Maybe she’s just burnt out on cooking for a family.. she has been doing it for like 20 years now after all

The chest clip is too low and but the legs can be sticking out like that. It is safest to be rear facing and therefore should be rear facing for as long as your car seat allows for their head height. However I cannot say if his head is up too high in that car seat. 

34 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I was recently told my new bland food plan and limited list of foods is likely with me for the rest of my life.  For sure for three to six months I'll be on a very limited list of food and extremely limited seasoning.  Even onions and garlic are prohibited.

I made a beef roast last week. Recipe -

1 Roast

Potatoes, peeled but left whole

Carrots, peeled and cut in half

Onion, peeled, coarsely chopped

Salt, Pepper, pinch of Garlic Powder

Sear the meat to hold in flavor before adding seasoning and onion. Cook on top of stove for as long as it takes for the meat to be cooked through, then add carrots and potatoes. Cook until vegetables are done. Serve.

As for the baked oatmeal, I have a recipe for oatmeal cookies that looks very similar to that.

45 minutes ago, Escadora said:

and the little ones might actually not appreciate all that much flavour anyway. And at least this Jill actually feeds her kids, unlike soooome Jills we could mention...

That’s true. My little cousin said she doesn’t like flavor (the Italian spices her mom put on chicken), and scrapped it off. And yeah, this Jill feeds her kids and doesn’t put them in cages so she’s better than other Jill.

In other news, Sam took his first steps!

5 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

That’s true. My little cousin said she doesn’t like flavor (the Italian spices her mom put on chicken), and scrapped it off. And yeah, this Jill feeds her kids and doesn’t put them in cages so she’s better than other Jill.

In other news, Sam took his first steps!

I wonder how long they were working with Sam to get that video. Poor Izzy is just begging for attention from either of his parents. 

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived