IGNORED

Jill and Derwood 62: Law School Rumors and Boring Sam

Coconut Flan

I know this is from the last thread,  but @SamiKatz, some of us still use clocks and/or watches.  I may be an watch-wearing old lady of 63, but my oldest daughter who is in her 30s still wears a watch.  I cannot believe that it's easier to cart around your phone than to wear a wristwatch.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love reading to my daughter. She’s been really into, “Marlon Bundo,” lately and doing the voices for that book is always so much fun - I make Marlon sound like a bad British impersonation because I always hear John Oliver’s voice in my head while reading it.

Velocitoddler is 19 months and bedtime here differs from day to day. If she naps late then she usually goes to bed a bit later, but we generally try to keep it between 7:00 and 9:00. She usually sleeps or happily chills in her crib until around 7:00 in the morning, though she does cry overnight a bit. If she seems really upset or is crying for a while I go in to check on her, but she usually falls back asleep once her musical hippo goes on. 

6 minutes ago, AreYouThereGothard? said:

Ted Cruz is also the Zodiac Killer. Talk about campaign downer

I know it shouldn’t really be funny because innocent people were killed... but he’s just such an asshole that I do find the memes pretty amusing:

5DEFAE5D-D8A1-454E-A8BD-1987E69D9674.png.1af375f453ba5063a5c782e6a8159524.png

Spoiler

F7CBFBFF-D68A-44E1-865B-3313F1121881.jpeg.d98be1e4f5503370410abada4ffb7cd3.jpeg

My kids' bedtime is currently between 11pm and midnight because of summer vacation but the last week or so of August they'll go back to school bedtime which is 9pm for the 10 year old and 10pm for the 14 year old. Even then they tend to crash earlier on hockey and cheer nights.

@acheronbeach thanks for the info.  I thought it was going on much longer, I had  a coworker whose HB was taking law there In the 90's.  Maybe he was taking a few credits or she was confused or lying.  But TWU has been an obnoxious entity for a long time.'

Dammit, the one time I try to be a responsible, upstanding adult and not make a Zodiac killer joke, it veers off in that direction anyway. 

zodiac-ted.jpg

2 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

@acheronbeach thanks for the info.  I thought it was going on much longer, I had  a coworker whose HB was taking law there In the 90's.  Maybe he was taking a few credits or she was confused or lying.  But TWU has been an obnoxious entity for a long time.'

They have undergrad law courses in the Poli Sci department, like most universities.  Maybe that was what the guy was taking?  Or maybe he's like so many bullshitters who try to pass of a biology degree as "pre-med" or International Studies or Poli Sci as "international law" or "pre-law."  Sadly, I've heard all three of these. 

Anyway, I don't think most people would be as familiar with the ridiculous TWU saga as I am, only because I do a lot of Constitutional litigation.  I think most lawyers were pretty happy with the decision TWU - and I say that even as a Tory who has a lot of Tory colleagues.  It really highlights the gulf between American and Canadian constitutional law, eh?  

5 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I know this is from the last thread,  but @SamiKatz, some of us still use clocks and/or watches.  I may be an watch-wearing old lady of 63, but my oldest daughter who is in her 30s still wears a watch.  I cannot believe that it's easier to cart around your phone than to wear a wristwatch.

I'm 46 and received my first watch for Christmas when I was 7. I have worn to watch almost every day since then, and my wrist feels really funny without it.

45 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Izzy and pistol Pete

I always thought that costume/mask was creepy AF. I would have had none of that as a kid, I was even scared of Santa Clause in kindergarten (i. e. random old man dressed up with a cloak and white beard).

Also, Izzy is getting so big, time sure does fly! :tw_blush:

And regarding the clock:

image.png.0d9c0b155facff924eb3b068b389eece.png

57 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Izzy and pistol Pete

Of course Pistol Pete.  Don't want people dwelling too long on their last video.

On Ted Cruz: No one can convince me that he's not actually the cockroach alien from Men In Black in a human suit. 

Unrelated conspiracy theory, but one night my friend and I were getting drunk and watching Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and came up with an elaborate conspiracy theory that Kenneth Branagh is actually Kenneth Iguanagh and is a reptilian whose goal it is to take over the world via the entertainment industry, and he actually was also the Basilisk in the movie; that's just him without his human makeup on. And Crocodile Dundee is the story of a brave reptilian who, despite having human-passing privilege, refused to anthropocize his name. 

6 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

This. I'm 39 and have been wearing a wristwatch since I started school back in 1985. When I wake up, the first thing I do is to put on my glasses and watch, and those are the last things put down when I go to sleep in the evening. I feel almost naked without my watch :my_biggrin:  I even have two watches: one is a boring metal grey for "official occasions", the other one a big, bold, colourful Swatch that I use daily because I love colourful accessories.

Just saw that horrible video. I won’t be surprised if Sam ends up hating reading. His penchant for ruining  things makes me thing if OfJill was a Bravo real housewife his tagline would be, “ I take the “fun” out of fundie.PS  you are all going to Hell!”.

1 hour ago, Letizia said:

His penchant for ruining  things makes me thing if OfJill was a Bravo real housewife his tagline would be, “ I take the “fun” out of fundie.PS  you are all going to Hell!”.

That reminds me of that John Mulaney Bravo Housewives sketch from SNL. "The South WILL rise again, but when I stand up too fast, I pass out." "I may have a baby voice, but my husband is 100 years old." "We're so close, we finish each other...off." 

I just had to show you all this: the other day I was checking out the Twitter account Republic of Gilead that parodies the theocratic, misogynistic society from the Handmaid's Tale, and look whose account came up under "recommended!" :D

Now I know that Twitter probably keeps track of profiles I've visited before, but I've only ever checked Jill's Twitter once or twice in my life (the fun happens mostly at ofJill's), and I didn't even know that the Duggar family had their own account... I have no idea who the 3rd person is either. 

Screenshot_20180707-214350.png

I never really had a routine as a baby, my mum was a bit anti them. AFAIK I didn’t have a problem with starting school. But then my mum was a stay at home mum so it’s not like she had to get up for work and put me in daycare. Obviously once I was in school I had a sort of routine but I don’t really remember it. 

I’m not a parent yet either. I can imagine having some kind of routine for my kids, but nothing too strict/Maxwellian.

Their obsession with Pistol Pete is kind of sad. I get he's sentimental because both he and his dad were the mascot but it just reeks of him trying to continue to live out the "best time of his life"

20 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Their obsession with Pistol Pete is kind of sad. I get he's sentimental because both he and his dad were the mascot but it just reeks of him trying to continue to live out the "best time of his life"

that is why i always roll my eyes whenever they mention it or show pictures. 

@acheronbeach, there is no "Pre-med" major per se.  If you are wanting to go to medical school, you can major in anything you want.  You might have a pre-med advisor who will advise you about taking the science courses you'll need.  Many pre-meds do major in biology or chemistry because you're required to take some of the same courses in the major that  a pre-med needs. 

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived