IGNORED

Jill and Derwood 62: Law School Rumors and Boring Sam

Coconut Flan

Carry on from here:

Is Derick really going to UofA law school in the fall?

Could he find some expression when reading to the kids?

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the clock, which like I said before would not surprise me at all if it was correct. The lack of routine just makes me anxious. It's why I could never do something like attachment parenting personally. I like schedules. My kids were on schedules that I think benefited them greatly.

Keeping little kids up until midnight is ridiculous. I'm sure even if Cathy or Ofjill jumped in and said the clock isn't plugged in, given their track record, I'm not sure if I'd believe them. 

My fundiegelical in-laws have no bedtime for their kids. They don't even put the baby down for a nap, they just let him lie down on the floor in the midst of everything (homeschooling, ukuleles, TV etc) and if he manages to drop off, good for him. Poor little guy is doing the whole sleepy-baby routine of rubbing his ears and etc, and he never ever gets a proper rest. At least Jill and Derick seem to do daytime naps in the bedroom, but it would not surprise me if they don't have a bedtime. I know everyone's different, you find the parenting solutions that work for you etc, but it strikes me that J&D might enjoy the parenting thing a bit more if they had childfree time in the evenings to chill out together.

Mind you, maybe without the kids about they become too aware of the whistling emotional void between them. Maybe they WANT to keep them up til midnight.

I was collecting quotes to respond to before the last thread closed, so carrying them over...

On 7/18/2018 at 11:35 PM, Meeka said:

Derick just doesn't seem to want to work. I wonder if he doesn't want the everyday daily grind that work can be. I am fortunate that I enjoy my job but it can be a bit of a bore sometimes and I would rather be doing something else. Sometimes I think, do I have to do with for 25-30 year more?  School seems to be something that Derick is okay with doing? When I was in university, the daily grind didn't seem to be there as school is broken up into semesters with breaks and summers in between them where you get long periods of time  to do other things. When the new semester started, you start fresh with new courses.  When I first started work, I found it strange and kind of hard to get use to the idea that there work would go on without the time division that happens in school. I think that Derick finds it hard to stay on task for long periods of time. He stayed as a missionary for only a short period of time, went to missionary school and now possibly to law school. He seems to be done with the whole marriage and raising children thing. He is what I would say "He lacks grit". This is fine for people if they don't have responsibilities but he does.

Getting used to the grind of working without summer and semester breaks is tough for a lot of people, including me. But I pushed through. Because what’s the alternative? And I don’t even have kids to provide for. I really don’t understand why feeding and clothing his children doesn’t motivate him to push through tough shit.

A lot of us don’t want to work. I’d rather browse FJ and play with my cats. But I also want to be a productive member of society. 

On 7/19/2018 at 12:13 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

Am I bad person if I hope that it burns. his. shit. up. to hear about his brother-in-law in law school? If that's wrong, I don't wanna be right...

If you’re a bad person, I’m a bad person. I hope Josh cries himself to sleep every night.

22 hours ago, justoneoftwo said:

In 2017 only 9 students from the class were employed at large firms (over 50 attorneys).  only 17 in "business." 15 were unemployed.  Only 83 were employed in jobs that required bar passage.  The class size was 116.  Even if he were not as public with his issues, and were to get through, his employment chances at a large firm are not great, and given that the unemployment rate in AR is 3.8% and the unemployment rate for graduates of this law school is 12.9% his emolument chances at all are not great.  (I didn't include anyone who was getting another degree as unemployed, FYI).

Damn. I have a friend who graduated from a good law school, but it took her two years to find a job. And I think three times to pass the bar. Shit is TOUGH. And I think more people are graduating from law schools than there is lawyer jobs. You have to do well in school to make a good living. I can’t see Derick putting in the work to pass the bar. He’d just cry about the gay agenda rigging it against him.

15 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

What. The. Fuck. 

Compare this to my fundie woke (I love that term) friend who bought her son the illustrated Harry Potter for his 3rd birthday and read a bit to him every night. He loved it.

I’m mildly concerned he loves Voldemort and Malfoy. (But then I bought him a Voldemort plushie to encourage his HP love, and that kinda encourages his Voldemort love)

Find new material, Derick!! Read books about dinosaurs or rabbits or bears or something. 

So, my eldest sister doesn't believe in bedtimes too I suppose.

The kids have been going to bed whenever they feel like it, and now that my eldest nephew is going to school and sometimes having to wake up at 7 in the morning... dropping him off at daycare late was never an issue, but you can't just show up to school when you want to. Oh surprise surprise, they're having some MAJOR issues trying to get him used to that schedule. The dude is so used to going to bed between 23:00-01:00 that he rarely falls asleep before that. They've stopped trying again and the kids sleep til 11:00. Well, schools start in a couple of weeks or so I suppose they'll just have to face the harsh reality. Just mad that my sister hasn't bothered and gives up real quick if her kids aren't satisfied.

Here in BC  Canada we have afundy uni called Trinity Western University.  This uni has been cranking out law students since the late 90's.  However the Law Society won't accredit any of them because of a contract the students HAVE to sign saying they will be chaste and hetro.  I also think maybe the curriculum is not up to standard.  

Derick won't make it at a real uni as he will feel too superior and outraged to study and stick it out

2 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Here in BC  Canada we a fundy uni called Trinity Western University.  This uni has been cranking out law students since the late 90's.  However the Law Society won't accredit any of them because of a contract the students HAVE to sign saying they will be chaste and hetro.  I also think maybe the curriculum is not up to standard.  

Derick won't make it at a real uni as he will feelptoo superior and outraged to study and stick it out

The concept of unaccredited universities is so weird to me. I don't think there's any in Finland. Some more private institutions - mostly Christian bible schools where you can study the theology of certain tradition - get ther BAs and BThs from accredited foreign universities. It's just so weird for me, a mere cotton ball swaddled relatively happy Finn, how there's public and private universities out there in the world ... and that they cost money! ... well, those private Christian institutions do have tuition fees, but they can do that because officially they're not a university but a sort of a community college but I guess not exactly in the American sense. Idk how else to translate it. You go and study something for a semester or two, sometimes it's languages, sometimes it's dance, that sorta stuff. "Folk college"?

I am sorry, I cannot see Derick answering to anyone. He could try for law school and use all his vague ways but really, you're not going to fool professors. And where is he getting money for law school? He grifted the money for his fake missioncation program. As if he could afford law school! 

I don't know if Derick will make it through law school or not.  But he did already graduate from one normal, non-Christian university.  I think he likes being a professional student.  He likes being in school and working toward a particular goal, but then doesn't want to work after he's finished with the schooling.  Of course, this time around he's married with two children.  That certainly won't make it any easier.

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I am sorry, I cannot see Derick answering to anyone. He could try for law school and use all his vague ways but really, you're not going to fool professors. And where is he getting money for law school? He grifted the money for his fake missioncation program. As if he could afford law school! 

I just imagined him going absolutely fucking bonkers after a few weeks of studies, ripping his shirt off and attempting to burn the school while shouting "I AM THE LAW. I AM THE LAAAAW!!!!"

3 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

I just imagined him going absolutely fucking bonkers after a few weeks of studies, ripping his shirt off and attempting to burn the school while shouting "I AM THE LAW. I AM THE LAAAAW!!!!"

I’m sitting here picturing Derick having a Frank the Tank style meltdown now:7047B545-523D-41DD-B64B-029DD90F99A4.jpeg.6fb06536f4b6cb18515823a351d70a64.jpeg

:pb_lol:

6 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I’m sitting here picturing Derick having a Frank the Tank style meltdown now:7047B545-523D-41DD-B64B-029DD90F99A4.jpeg.6fb06536f4b6cb18515823a351d70a64.jpeg

:pb_lol:

Ah for shit's sake my drawing tablet is at home and I won't be home til August 2nd... Otherwise I'd be photoshopping the hell out of this :laughing-rofl:

3 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Find new material, Derick!! Read books about dinosaurs or rabbits or bears or something.

How about good parenting?  I think the kids might be interested, too.

1 minute ago, Dandruff said:

Oh you silly, it's all in the Bible, see! And To Train Up A Child! (vomits)

I’m watching “The Staircase” right now and comparing how eloquent these lawyers are to Derrick. Both the prosecuting and defense attorneys clearly have a gift for public speaking, telling a story, and presenting arguments logically and calmly. Based on what we’ve seen of Derrick-monotone, mumbling, lack of logical reasoning or critical thinking skills-there’s no way he could survive in law school or as a lawyer

2 hours ago, finnlassie said:

The concept of unaccredited universities is so weird to me. I don't think there's any in Finland. Some more private institutions - mostly Christian bible schools where you can study the theology of certain tradition - get ther BAs and BThs from accredited foreign universities. It's just so weird for me, a mere cotton ball swaddled relatively happy Finn, how there's public and private universities out there in the world ... and that they cost money! ... well, those private Christian institutions do have tuition fees, but they can do that because officially they're not a university but a sort of a community college but I guess not exactly in the American sense. Idk how else to translate it. You go and study something for a semester or two, sometimes it's languages, sometimes it's dance, that sorta stuff. "Folk college"?

It sounds like you're right; folk colleges in the U.S. are typically shorter-term classes with things like music, dance, and crafts. Here's a couple of examples, they're quite common where I live.

https://www.folkschool.org/

Doesn’t Derick believe everything that Ted Cruz and his ilk believe? If Ted Cruz could survive law school and get to where he is, why can’t Derick? (Devil’s advocate)

A good point. I think Derek has  a much shorter fuse and much less discipline and work ethic than Ted Cruz. Also Ted Cruz is pretty universally reviled by members of his own party. (John Boehner called him Lucifer in the flesh.) It's part of the reason he couldn't beat Trump in the primaries. You pay a price of some sort for lacking finesse and social skills. 

59 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Baby steps. First he has to learn how to present power points to children.

13 minutes ago, JoiseyGoil said:

Doesn’t Derick believe everything that Ted Cruz and his ilk believe? If Ted Cruz could survive law school and get to where he is, why can’t Derick? (Devil’s advocate)

If Ben Carson can graduate medical school, so can Derdick. So I bet that’s next. Also, what happens if you fail a year of law school? Do you just repeat it? I know someone who failed her second year of medical school and repeated it. She’s now doing her residency at a low-income clinic, inflicting her stupidity and lack of desire to actually be a GOOD doctor on impoverished people. I can see Derdick having this attitude. It doesn’t matter if he graduates at the bottom of his class or is a terrible lawyer, because he still gets to call himself a lawyer.

28 minutes ago, JoiseyGoil said:

I saw a "Humans against Ted Cruz" sticker on a car last night. 

Not having a strict bedtime seems to be a common fundie thing. No one has to get up in the morning for school so they let it slide. Jill Rod keeps her kids up late and the original Duggar family kept their children up late too. That’s why they always had major issues getting up early for flights they had to catch. Because they weren’t used to getting up before 9am. I believe Michelle liked getting up early before the kids and exercising and getting ready for the day. So she wasn’t going to force an early bedtime if it meant it would cut into her early morning me time. 

I will add that I’m the psycho bedtime lady. In the summer my husband always tries to let the kids stay up later than usual. NOPE! Because when school comes back around in August I’m not fighting them to get back into an earlier bedtime. Fuck that. 

I did not have a bedtime growing up. As an elementary-school-aged kid, it worked out okay because I listened to my body during the school year and would go to sleep around 11pm and wake up at 6:30am. Still no good for a young child, but better than what came next. As a middle-schooler, I was up all freakin' hours of the night. Falling asleep in class, waking up at random times in the night-just a bad scene. As a higher schooler, I would stay up really late, then nap from 3:30pm to dinnertime. Rinse and repeat.

I can't say if this lack of schedule contributed to what turned into a pretty rough case of insomnia as an adult, but I can't see how it could have possibly helped.  

4 hours ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

Here in BC  Canada we have afundy uni called Trinity Western University.  This uni has been cranking out law students since the late 90's.  However the Law Society won't accredit any of them because of a contract the students HAVE to sign saying they will be chaste and hetro.  I also think maybe the curriculum is not up to standard.  

Derick won't make it at a real uni as he will feel too superior and outraged to study and stick it out

Trinity Western hasn't been cranking out law students since the 90's.  They formally started the process for the School of Law in 2012 as (IMO) a cash grab once they saw how much tuition they could charge, though they've made noise about wanting one for a couple of decades.  

The Law Society of Upper Canada would not accredit them and this was upheld by the Ontario Court of Appeal.  LSBC eventually said no to accreditation; the BC Court of Appeal sided with TWU.  The Nova Scotia Court of Appeal also upheld accreditation.  (As an aside, there is a reason the Ontario Court of Appeal is at the forefront of legal reasoning amongst the provincial/territorial appeal courts in Canada.  :pb_rollseyes:)

The Supreme Court of Canada in a 5-2 decision held that the limitation of religious rights was an acceptable balance to allow access to marginalized LGBTQ students.  

LSBC v. TWU: http://canlii.ca/t/hsjpr

My son never stopped moving from the moment he woke up to the moment he fell asleep, but he slept like a rock.  I read to him every night from babyhood until about age 10.  It was a way to help settle him down plus we both enjoyed it.  I learned early on that sticking to a routine was important to him, and bedtime was 6:00 (baby-toddler), then 7:00 (preschool), then 8:00, and so on.  

my own dad was pretty strict and serious when I was little, but he read to me and my two sisters each night.  He did all the voices for Winnie the Pooh, and the Wind in the Willows.  Those are some of my most treasured memories of my dad.  To see that idiot Derick do such a crap job while his idiot wife giggles in the background pisses me off.

• VaSportsMom locked this topic

Archived