IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren Part 10: First Look at the Wedding

Coconut Flan

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Accents... I'm from Arkansas and we're not used to thinking of our own accent as attractive. I studied abroad in France (a place that is known for attractive accents!) with a group of people from Arkansas and there we met another group from Pennsylvania. A girl from that group really hit it off with a guy from our group and at one point she was telling the girls in our group everything she liked about that guy, including "his sexy Arkansas accent." The Arkansans actually stared at each other, because I'm pretty sure that was the first time any of us had heard the words "sexy Arkansas accent" put together. :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, moreorlessnu said:

Did JB give Joe wedding advice the way Joe did to Josiah?

Did JB give Josiah the LEGO analogy?

1 hour ago, moreorlessnu said:

1. I would have taken Michelle's dress in at the hips. She might wear a larger size shirt than skirt, and that means dresses need to be tailored once she finds the dress size that fits in the bust. You can take in a dress like that so that it fits in the hips, but still maintains the style of the flowy/ruffly skirt bottom. I'm glad someone got through to her to go with a shorter dress length. When you are short, full on top, and have skinny legs like Michelle, you can balance the overall look (of needing the extra sizing in the bust) by tailoring the dress in the hips and going with a shorter length. Otherwise, the extra sizing in the bust can make you look larger than necessary overall.

2. At least Lauren's father wasn't creepy like JB going on on and on about how the daughter looked so much like her mother on her mother's wedding day.

3. Lauren seems to have a good and genuine rapport with her father. Interestingly, when Lauren's mother was talking about the 1st and 2nd most important decisions in Lauren's life, Lauren was staring straight ahead, almost like she was ignoring her. Yes, she was having mascara applied, but she didn't even move her eyeballs slightly in a direction toward her mother so that it appeared she was listening to her mother.

4. Is this the fastest Duggar friendship to marriage? 9 months?? Yikes. Usually they say something like, "We've known the YaddaYadda family for years...", but in this video, they talked about Josiah and Lauren going from friends to marriage in 9 months.

5. That was quite the kiss. Neither one acted like it was the first kiss. None of that embarrassed, furtively looking around that Anna did on her wedding day. Josiah and Lauren both looked very confident and relaxed regarding their "first" (really?) kiss. Regardless, I do hope they have that passion for each other.

6.  Interesting how firm her voice became when she said, "...use our marriage to demonstrate the Gospel to the world". I got the feeling she has plans to make them the "it" couple. Time will tell...

The Duggar's have known the Swanson's for years but I don't think it was a super close friendship. the first time most of the Duggar's met the Swanson's was after Josie came home from the hospital and the Swanson's along with the Botrager family came over to the TTH

17 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Did JB give Josiah the LEGO analogy?

I remember JB and I think Michelle talking to Joe before the wedding no Lego analogy hopefully that was forever retired. 

2 hours ago, moreorlessnu said:

6.  Interesting how firm her voice became when she said, "...use our marriage to demonstrate the Gospel to the world". I got the feeling she has plans to make them the "it" couple. Time will tell...

I’m interested to see how this marriage (“alliance”) turns out & how active they are on social media & the show. It sort of seems like this marriage was a little more curated than the rest. I might be mistaken but didn’t someone mention Lauren & her family moved to Arkansas for this Duggar marriage??? I wonder what the game plan was from the start of courting.

She’s going to have to be pretty media savvy & have excellent PR /presentation skills to get a one up on Jessa. Also Jinger for that matter. The Bates girls will be hard to outshine too. I need to see more of her personality but I’m not sure she & Josiah have that “it” factor that appeals to the masses. Don’t get me wrong... she’s a pretty girl & Josiah has a more outgoing personality but I’m not sure they will carry a show or have a strong following. 

Why do some people talk so slow? Our weatherman is from Philadelphia and I could give birth to triplets before he gives out the 7 day forecast. Me nerves! 

4 hours ago, moreorlessnu said:

1. I would have taken Michelle's dress in at the hips. She might wear a larger size shirt than skirt, and that means dresses need to be tailored once she finds the dress size that fits in the bust. You can take in a dress like that so that it fits in the hips, but still maintains the style of the flowy/ruffly skirt bottom. I'm glad someone got through to her to go with a shorter dress length. When you are short, full on top, and have skinny legs like Michelle, you can balance the overall look (of needing the extra sizing in the bust) by tailoring the dress in the hips and going with a shorter length. Otherwise, the extra sizing in the bust can make you look larger than necessary overall.

2. At least Lauren's father wasn't creepy like JB going on on and on about how the daughter looked so much like her mother on her mother's wedding day.

3. Lauren seems to have a good and genuine rapport with her father. Interestingly, when Lauren's mother was talking about the 1st and 2nd most important decisions in Lauren's life, Lauren was staring straight ahead, almost like she was ignoring her. Yes, she was having mascara applied, but she didn't even move her eyeballs slightly in a direction toward her mother so that it appeared she was listening to her mother.

4. Is this the fastest Duggar friendship to marriage? 9 months?? Yikes. Usually they say something like, "We've known the YaddaYadda family for years...", but in this video, they talked about Josiah and Lauren going from friends to marriage in 9 months.

5. That was quite the kiss. Neither one acted like it was the first kiss. None of that embarrassed, furtively looking around that Anna did on her wedding day. Josiah and Lauren both looked very confident and relaxed regarding their "first" (really?) kiss. Regardless, I do hope they have that passion for each other.

As far as I recall...

- The Dills were about 10 months from talking to marriage, though Derick was talking with JimBob for more than 1.5 years at that point.

- Benessa were at least 1.5 years.

- JinJer were about 10.5-11 months. I think he had only known the family a few months prior to getting the ok to talk to Jinger. 

- JoStin is very unclear due to how long the families have known each other. Same with JoKen. 

- And I don’t remember when The Smuggars started talking. I think it was in December or January, which would put them around the 8-9 month mark.  

I borrowed their 20 and Counting and Growing Up Duggar books from the library earlier this summer and that was discussed in one of them. The way the Duggars tell it, Josh saw Anna at Big Sandy and he liked her but wanted to make sure that’s where the lord was leading him or some other fundy BS. Anna basically liked him too but waited for the lord and her father to tell her what to do. If I recall, it wasn’t until the next year at Big Sandy before Josh made his intentions clear. So probably only 8-9 months of talking and truly getting to know one another, but there were rumblings and they were on each other’s radar long before. I’m paraphrasing, but that was what I got from it.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

As far as I recall...

- The Dills were about 10 months from talking to marriage, though Derick was talking with JimBob for more than 1.5 years at that point.

- JinJer were about 10.5-11 months. I think he had only known the family a few months prior to getting the ok to talk to Jinger. 

- JoStin is very unclear due to how long the families have known each other. Same with JoKen. 

- And I don’t remember when The Smuggars started talking. I think it was in December or January, which would put them around the 8-9 month mark.  

I believe with Joken  they said they had been talking six months before he asked to court her. as for Jostin. I believe it was Austin asked for permission to court Joy JB said it had been a year ago that Austin had asked to get to know Joy better. 

12 minutes ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

I borrowed their 20 and Counting and Growing Up Duggar books from the library earlier this summer and that was discussed in one of them. The way the Duggars tell it, Josh saw Anna at Big Sandy and he liked her but wanted to make sure that’s where the lord was leading him or some other fundy BS. Anna basically liked him too but waited for the lord and her father to tell her what to do. If I recall, it wasn’t until the next year at Big Sandy before Josh made his intentions clear. So probably only 8-9 months of talking and truly getting to know one another, but there were rumblings and they were on each other’s radar long before. I’m paraphrasing, but that was what I got from it.

Also according to Anna she wanted to wait until she was 20 to get engaged which is why Josh proposed on her 20th birthday

They seemed fine during the ceremony to me, definitely more so than the thankyou video.  But I do hope that Josiah had Lauren’s agreement to carrying her and running down the aisle.  Our wedding was 26 years ago, but I love the photos of us walking down the aisle.  Mr Karma looks very pleased with himself, I’m beaming, and I remember chatting and smiling at people along the way.  But we’d been together 7 years, so no desperate rush to drive off, and since we only had 70 guests, all close family and friends, I actually knew everyone and was delighted to see them, and they me.

4 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

As far as I recall...

My husband and I went from meeting to married in a matter of 14 months and my friends were shocked but Thank God I wasn’t 19 and we were both adults living on our own completing our Master’s degrees :my_confused: My parents are in their 70s and were like “why are you waiting so long” meanwhile my friends in their 20s were like “you’ve hardly known him” .. good times! Lol

Their description on the show did sound like it was a shorter time length than the other couples. You know he had to snag a woman that didn’t mind only have 3/4 of his heart since some pieces left with Marjorie 

7 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Why do some people talk so slow? Our weatherman is from Philadelphia and I could give birth to triplets before he gives out the 7 day forecast. Me nerves! 

Eddie Sheer left? Havent been keeping up with news lately.

4 minutes ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Eddie Sheer left? Havent been keeping up with news lately.

Nope that's the one. 10 million years, 50,000 ums, and lots of touching his fingers. Finally he gets out that it will be foggy forever. 

Ryan Snoddon did leave. Hasn't been replaced yet. He is missed. 

19 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Nope that's the one. 10 million years, 50,000 ums, and lots of touching his fingers. Finally he gets out that it will be foggy forever. 

Ryan Snoddon did leave. Hasn't been replaced yet. He is missed. 

Oh my. I thought he was from the East coast somewhere. Knock me over with a feather right now. 

We don't get CBC Newfoundland up here, at least with my package.  Too bad, I loved the newscasts they did. 

A couple of weeks without cable, and I'm missing out. 

My husband and I married nine months after meeting when I was 18 years old. We are about to celebrate our 26th anniversary. I know I was young, but by 18 years old I had already had waaay more life experience than fundies.

My husband and I got engaged after 6 months when I was 23, 10 yrs ago. It's not the amount of time to get to know someone that counts. It's how - a lot of talking, shared time, affection, and chemistry. You can fall in love really fast, and then need to see if it lasts. The fundies rarely seem to get that meaningful time to go beyond a crush into love. It's so restrictive and sanitized... they can't even whisper together in a corner or walk 100 feet ahead of their chaperones it seems. Hence Si needing to 'get to know' his WIFE. Jane Austen's characters get more privacy...

It occurred to me that maybe one reason Ben and Jessa seem to act more like partners then the others is that they got the time to lay a foundation. 1.5 yrs of restricted access is still better than a few months. 

With our fundies, there is extreme pressure to marry the 1st person you court. With the fundies I know, even the ones who saved their 1st kiss for marriage,it was fine and even  expected if in the course of dating, you felt this person wasn't marriage material to break things off. No scandal or worries about lost heart pieces as long as you hadn't gotten physical.  You could also go for dinner or coffee, no chaperones needed. (I don't know a single fundagelical couple who had chaperones.) Its almost like they realized most people don't get frisky at Starbucks or on a minature golf course. That should be left to suuuuppper godly people like JB and Michelle, don't ya know.  The Duggar/Bates system of courtship is just other worldly to me. 

On 7/22/2018 at 1:20 PM, tabitha2 said:

That was a staged scene by TLC anyhow. 

I should have been more clear. There was a nice scene between Joe and Josiah that seemed genuine. I don't remember if JB gave Joe words of wisdom at his wedding. I was trying to figure out if TLC keeps JB sightings to a minimum, or if there is some sort of friction between JB and Josiah and that's why there was no "words of encouragement" from JB.

And yes, the Lego scene between JB and Josh was totally staged. I believe the scene of Josh and Anna listening to the sex ed tapes in the car was also staged, as was the video clip of them walking into the hotel room in their wedding clothes.

i wonder if josiah didn't ask JD to be in the wedding so it wouldn't seem so awkward to only skip over josh. i have this mental image of josiah taking JD aside to explain that he'd really like him to be by his side but this way it won't be so awkward with josh and jd can hang with abbie.  :isb:of course. (jeez i didn't realize that bus was going to be so big?)

On 7/22/2018 at 4:11 PM, 3SecondSideHugger said:

18 hours ago, Nomorethanfour said:

My husband and I married nine months after meeting when I was 18 years old. We are about to celebrate our 26th anniversary. I know I was young, but by 18 years old I had already had waaay more life experience than fundies.

First date to marriage in three months and that was fifteen years ago. Best thing we ever did, marrying each other. 

Hubby and I met as kids.  He had a crush on me as a 12 yr old.  At 16 he decided I was the kind of girl he wanted to marry.  I had a bit of a crush by then on his blue eyes LOL.  At 22/23 we hit it off and started talking (on weekends) up to 12 hr long convos.  Aug- Dec we spent countless hours talking.  Spent time together.  Dec he asked me to be his gf.  Apr he proposed... by then he had moved into my share house. Oct we got married.  From Mar to our wedding we lived under the same roof.  

Ben & Jessa also lived on the same property for a while there... which would have given them plenty of time to be together and get comfortable with each other.

7 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

i wonder if josiah didn't ask JD to be in the wedding so it wouldn't seem so awkward to only skip over josh. i have this mental image of josiah taking JD aside to explain that he'd really like him to be by his side but this way it won't be so awkward with josh and jd can hang with abbie.  :isb:of course. (jeez i didn't realize that bus was going to be so big?)

With Josiah, I always forget how very young he is ! Only 21, so likely much closer friends with Joe, the twin boys and the next couple older teens down the line - than JD - 28 or Josh - 30.  

5 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

First date to marriage in three months and that was fifteen years ago. Best thing we ever did, marrying each other. 

By the time MrSlytherin and I met in person, we had spent countless HOURS on the phone, ICQ, email, AIM, etc. My last phone bill before he came to the US was $900 and that was using those old "call around" numbers to get 2.2¢/minute phone rates; his was £1,200. We finally decided to meet in person. He sold almost everything he owned, booked a one-way ticket... Five weeks to the day after his arrival in the US, we were married. That's 19+ years ago, and we're still going strong. :)

But we had a full YEAR of long conversations that included ALL the critical "stuff" that couples must discuss, our dreams, our fears, our plans, our beliefs (including politics, religion, etc.), and all that... We knew each other in a way that people who spend that first year getting to know each other IN PERSON, don't get to experience.

On 7/20/2018 at 12:21 AM, Ivycoveredtower said:

I'm starting to think that since we haven't heard where Siren honeymooned that TLC may not have taped it. this would only be the second Duggar couple not to air their Honeymoon. the first being Jill and Derick. 

Maybe Josiah and Lauren will be "volunteering" for TLC too-LOL!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived