IGNORED

Josiah and Lauren Part 10: First Look at the Wedding

Coconut Flan

I am willing to give them grace on how they appeared.  If I were in her shoes (or even his) getting married in front of so many, and filmed as well would leave me expressionless.  I would be concentrating so hard on not making a mistake in movement or speech.  I cannot imagine anything more frightening, I wouldn't have time to feel nervous. 

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/20/2018 at 7:53 PM, xenobia said:

For the FJ's (including myself) who aren't from the US - here's a link to the wedding episodes on Youtube. (Not my channel). 

Thank you so much! Now did the cameras go out of focus as much as they did because they featured Derick/Josh?

36 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

Thank you so much! Now did the cameras go out of focus as much as they did because they featured Derick/Josh?

I read in a comment that it's something that the person responsible for the channel caused. I think (s)he filmed the screen, and didn't get full focus all the time. We'll probably get a longer (and more sharp) version when CO returns :)

If Lauren did not find an opportunity to sing/play Taylor Swift's "Dress" for Josiah on their wedding day, I see nothing but missed opportunities.

In true taurean fashion, Lauren managed to choose a traditional but *extremely* sensual dress. All the details in the back? Good, Lord. She definitely worked it. 

Well played on Josiah's part, too. Yes, he seems to be in his head a lot these days. He just wants to get it right.  Hopefully, he will settle down once the pressure has leveled a bit. Then they can be true to their playful natures.

They're just gonna have to learn to tune out the white noise of those around them, including meddling parents and whispers of internet rumors.

They'll be as fine as any of the other couples. They're also likely to continue to be just as fundy as the rest of them. Nothing new here but a bit of over- thinking - pressure to perfom awkwardness, I believe.

21 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Some of my misgivings about this Duggar wedding were because it reminded me of Charles and Diana back in 1981. I remember the commentators saying things like, "Now he (Charles) should be whispering in her ear," except by and large he wasn't. This ceremony seemed to have a similar emptiness to it. Plenty of pomp but little emotion. 

I just watched it finally and yes, this is totally how it came off to me. She looks like a kid playing the part of woman getting married. He looks like he is being forced to marry her. I wish they at least seemed happy.

On 7/20/2018 at 11:33 AM, xenobia said:

Laurens dress is really in my own taste! It would't work for me - I'm more the Michelle body type - but looked good on her. But she needs to learn how to breathe and talk.  

She's alive and not blue, and speaks words other humans understand- so I think she's got 'em both down pat! Young women don't have to make their voices sound any particular way just because other people dislike that they sound young.

This isn't specific to you/not trying to single you out, I know a lot of people have been going this direction here.

2 minutes ago, pandora said:

She's alive and not blue, and speaks words other humans understand- so I think she's got 'em both down pat! Young women don't have to make their voices sound any particular way just because other people dislike that they sound young.

This isn't specific to you/not trying to single you out, I know a lot of people have been going this direction here.

I don't think it's a matter of sounding any particular way. It's a question of breathing and using your voice in a way that doesn't hurt your vocal cords in the long run. And yes, this is a big deal to me since I'm a singer. Not fully professional, but still. 

I had some serious problems with my voice when a was around Laurens age. My singing teacher actually forbid me to sing for three months. Instead, she taught me how to use my talking voice in a way so that my singing voice wouldn't be damaged, and it would help me to not have a sore throat so often. She really helped me so much with my breathing and my talking voice, and after that experience it's hard to not wish that others would be able to get the same kind of help that I got. 

I don't think she sounds "young" so much is that her voice is annoyingly breathy, it reminds me a little of the Michelle baby voice *shrug*

5 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

I don't think she sounds "young" so much is that her voice is annoyingly breathy, it reminds me a little of the Michelle baby voice *shrug*

I really notice it when she says Josiah's name. the way she says Siah makes me cringe. 

We call it a drawl. Lauren speaks with a drawl. She also seems to have a sexy voice, especially for Siah. Too cute and funny. Definitely took some getting used to for me but now it doesn't startle me as much. She seems like an interpersonal, endearing girl. I think the difference between her and the other in-laws is that we have seen so little of her publically. We're getting to "know" her and them as a couple all at the same time. It's one big mesh.

57 minutes ago, xenobia said:

I don't think it's a matter of sounding any particular way. It's a question of breathing and using your voice in a way that doesn't hurt your vocal cords in the long run. And yes, this is a big deal to me since I'm a singer. Not fully professional, but still. 

I had some serious problems with my voice when a was around Laurens age. My singing teacher actually forbid me to sing for three months. Instead, she taught me how to use my talking voice in a way so that my singing voice wouldn't be damaged, and it would help me to not have a sore throat so often. She really helped me so much with my breathing and my talking voice, and after that experience it's hard to not wish that others would be able to get the same kind of help that I got. 

Cool that you're a singer! I sing too and have also improved my voice with some vocal coaches (not in the least professional, but a lifelong musical theater nerd)! I stand by that she doesn't have anything to correct- it doesn't sound like Lauren is currently working on bettering her singing voice! No everyone wants to, and you can't know from what little we've seen that her throat hurts or she's unhappy with her voice use for any reason. I'm against the policing of women's voices (specifically young women cause they get a lot of shit about this) and repeat that they don't have to sound any certain way just because others think they should. This is a thing(evidenced again by the comments after yours) and the bigger picture it's part of is one which demeans women for sounding female- as baby or annoying or harsh or whatever, and shuts them up (and then when people compensate, vocal fry sucks too- it's a system where everyone loses). Lauren doesn't need to learn to breathe or talk differently- if we're gonna focus on what fundies should be changing about themselves- I hope she picks up a book and learns about evolution!

A pretty girl (or guy) saying your name with sexy southern drawl has been known to have been the death of common sense in many a person ;) 

16 minutes ago, pandora said:

Cool that you're a singer! I sing too and have also improved my voice with some vocal coaches (not in the least professional, but a lifelong musical theater nerd)! I stand by that she doesn't have anything to correct- it doesn't sound like Lauren is currently working on bettering her singing voice! No everyone wants to, and you can't know from what little we've seen that her throat hurts or she's unhappy with her voice use for any reason. I'm against the policing of women's voices (specifically young women cause they get a lot of shit about this) and repeat that they don't have to sound any certain way just because others think they should. This is a thing(evidenced again by the comments after yours) and the bigger picture it's part of is one which demeans women for sounding female- as baby or annoying or harsh or whatever, and shuts them up (and then when people compensate, vocal fry sucks too- it's a system where everyone loses). Lauren doesn't need to learn to breathe or talk differently- if we're gonna focus on what fundies should be changing about themselves- I hope she picks up a book and learns about evolution!

I understand what you’re saying about the policing of another thing for females but I think that IS what they’re taught in fundy standards. we saw the same thing with Jessa and Joy even when they started being in a couple. These women have their regular voices and then when they’re talking to their male partner, they turn into a breathy, higher pitched voice that sounds unnatural with constant giggling. I wonder if it’s part of what they were taught that men like?? Again, it’s something I would see a 14 year old who’s trying hard doing ..not a young adult entering a marriage. But I really do wonder if it is part of the teaching of how to be a meek helpmeet since I observe it repeatedly in all the new couples.

1 hour ago, pandora said:

I think the thank you video where she was out of breath is what made a lot of us think that she's trying so hard to make a breathy "keep sweet" baby voice that she can barely breathe when she talks. Different than a drawl because it's not the accent.

I must admit, I do feel sorry for these kids but only because they are marrying within a famous family at a time when media savagery is at an all time high. They are both so young, especially Lauren. They're still trying to find themselves within a system that limits true individuality. Impressionable personalities are most effected. The last thing Lauren (who seems camera anxious), needs is to see folks talking about her voice online. I hope she stays away from it as much as possible, taking notes from Joken. I also hope Josiah doesn't pressure her to be media perfect because he too is losing his swim in the comments section of life.

I hope he doesn't let it all get to his head, causing him to be mean or rigid to her because of his own insecurities about how others view his supposed differences. During the wedding scenes, I noticed him correcting his comments about wanting to see her dress, clarifying *she is beautiful, he is handsome* in a moment that didn't quite need the specification and him anxiously wiping her lip stick off immediately after their kiss. This guy is definitely worrying about what others are saying.

And from a human to human standpoint, I just wish them well.

I hope, despite it all, they're find ways to be  good to each other.

4 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

A pretty girl (or guy) saying your name with sexy southern drawl has been known to have been the death of common sense in many a person ;) 

Yes, this northern girl met a Texas man and he said my name and that was it. 20 years later, two kids, that drawl still gives me chills

On the Dillard’s website the pics are back up, and one of them says “The couple was adamant about not having pranks during the ceremony, so the family and friends had to make up for it during the rest of the day!”

Which makes Josiah’s ring-thing at Joe’s wending even more shitty. They should have at least have the pleasure of getting back at him. But I guess they got the car. 

@metheglyn Why does Michelle look so miffed at every wedding and baby announcement?

Is she really that jealous and bitter? That woman has serious issues, if you ask me.

Jeez lady, just be happy for your children and enjoy the grandkids!

iffed.JPG

16 hours ago, 3SecondSideHugger said:

The emotionless faces were so weird, and I know people look different when nervous (myself included) but it was also the gestures, the tone of voice, the mechanical touches that made everyone seem a bit dead in the eyes. Like another poster mentioned, the siblings descriptions comment on how he “was the prankster” “was” all these qualities until he met her then he matured...or to normal people, stopped having a personality for a young man in his 20s?! They really seemed to be going through the motions. Then again, I really didn’t know true love and appropriate emotions in a relationship when I was 19 LOL Lauren’s voice and actions to me seemed very 13 year old boy crush.. which is probably about where her maturity from being raised in that environment may be 

To the bolded: I mentioned this earlier, but they were sharing old stories about him in that segment. Present tense would have been inappropriate. Jason was the one who mentioned how he’s matured, but he specifically ended his part by saying that Josiah was still Josiah - which (to me) indicates he’s still the same person he always was. He may be a bit more subdued now because he has more responsibilities, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t still a giant goofball. 

I think Lauren's voice is slightly off because of the cameras. If you go back to the early Jeremy episodes his voice is similarly affected - a sort of softer breathier voice. I have no idea why cameras would induce someone to speak differently in this way but it's also noticeable in the most famous reality star of all time - even Kim Kardashian's family have made fun of her voice in early seasons of kuwtk. Maybe it's a result of trying to speak clearly for mics, or just one of the ways self consciousness manifests.

7 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

On the Dillard’s website the pics are back up, and one of them says “The couple was adamant about not having pranks during the ceremony, so the family and friends had to make up for it during the rest of the day!”

Which makes Josiah’s ring-thing at Joe’s wending even more shitty. They should have at least have the pleasure of getting back at him. But I guess they got the car. 

Yeah, but would that have been fair to Lauren? As far as we know she’s never pulled any wedding pranks during a ceremony and I believe they stated it was Lauren’s request (supported by Josiah) that the ceremony be prank free. 

And in Siah’s brief defense - Joseph knew who Josiah was when he asked him to be Best Man. The entire family and the shows themselves made it clear he has a long history of pranks and joking around. Other Duggars (I’m thinking of JD) have pulled pranks as well prior to Joseph’s wedding and at least the ring prank didn’t run a high risk of someone getting seriously hurt or killed. If a prank free ceremony was important to either Joseph or Kendra then they should have stated that they wanted the ceremony to be prank free. If they did and Josiah ignored them then that’s a shitty thing to do, but otherwise? Not so much in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

To the bolded: I mentioned this earlier, but they were sharing old stories about him in that segment. Present tense would have been inappropriate. Jason was the one who mentioned how he’s matured, but he specifically ended his part by saying that Josiah was still Josiah - which (to me) indicates he’s still the same person he always was. He may be a bit more subdued now because he has more responsibilities, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t still a giant goofball. 

I disagree specifically because of the awkward way jason says it at the end with .. hesitation? It was like a half hearted he still is.. and then the description of Lauren were “she is...”. As usual, the ever so flattering adjectives attributed to Lauren are ‘sweet’ and ‘steady’. I personally wouldn’t describe someone as steady, but we’ve heard this before in Duggar speak. To me, they use that description of a person to counterbalance somebody with an actual personality. I think we may have heard Austin given the description of ‘steady’ as well. I just get the feeling that the outgoing personalities are not viewed as great in duggar/fundy land when they describe them

15 minutes ago, 3SecondSideHugger said:

I disagree specifically because of the awkward way jason says it at the end with .. hesitation? It was like a half hearted he still is.. and then the description of Lauren were “she is...”. As usual, the ever so flattering adjectives attributed to Lauren are ‘sweet’ and ‘steady’. I personally wouldn’t describe someone as steady, but we’ve heard this before in Duggar speak. To me, they use that description of a person to counterbalance somebody with an actual personality. I think we may have heard Austin given the description of ‘steady’ as well. I just get the feeling that the outgoing personalities are not viewed as great in duggar/fundy land when they describe them

They don’t know Lauren as well as they know Siah and they weren’t discussing past stories about her. Present tense makes sense in the context used. 

We don’t know what questions the Producers were asking them about Josiah, but I’d imagine they were asked what he was like growing up since it was during the segment with the baby photos. I’d also guess they asked some sort of questions about what he’s been like since meeting Lauren and that’s when they switched to present tense. It’s entirely possible Josiah had the spunk beat out of him, but it’s also possible that he’s simply done a bit of growing up off camera as well. Marriage for him means a lot of new responsibilities and knowing that may have made that growing up more obvious. 

I personally don’t remember any hesitation or weirdness about Jason’s answer to be honest. 

1. I would have taken Michelle's dress in at the hips. She might wear a larger size shirt than skirt, and that means dresses need to be tailored once she finds the dress size that fits in the bust. You can take in a dress like that so that it fits in the hips, but still maintains the style of the flowy/ruffly skirt bottom. I'm glad someone got through to her to go with a shorter dress length. When you are short, full on top, and have skinny legs like Michelle, you can balance the overall look (of needing the extra sizing in the bust) by tailoring the dress in the hips and going with a shorter length. Otherwise, the extra sizing in the bust can make you look larger than necessary overall.

2. At least Lauren's father wasn't creepy like JB going on on and on about how the daughter looked so much like her mother on her mother's wedding day.

3. Lauren seems to have a good and genuine rapport with her father. Interestingly, when Lauren's mother was talking about the 1st and 2nd most important decisions in Lauren's life, Lauren was staring straight ahead, almost like she was ignoring her. Yes, she was having mascara applied, but she didn't even move her eyeballs slightly in a direction toward her mother so that it appeared she was listening to her mother.

4. Is this the fastest Duggar friendship to marriage? 9 months?? Yikes. Usually they say something like, "We've known the YaddaYadda family for years...", but in this video, they talked about Josiah and Lauren going from friends to marriage in 9 months.

5. That was quite the kiss. Neither one acted like it was the first kiss. None of that embarrassed, furtively looking around that Anna did on her wedding day. Josiah and Lauren both looked very confident and relaxed regarding their "first" (really?) kiss. Regardless, I do hope they have that passion for each other.

6.  Interesting how firm her voice became when she said, "...use our marriage to demonstrate the Gospel to the world". I got the feeling she has plans to make them the "it" couple. Time will tell...

They are legally wed,young and  hormonal, she is gorgeous and he is not bad at all For  Duggar male... oh yeah if they have nothing else I am sure they have passion ;)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived