IGNORED

Jinjer 41: Felicity Nicole 8 lb 3 oz

Coconut Flan

I had one. I tore that CP kid to Holy Hell. I was terrible baby doll mother... they were filthy, naked and had cats laying on them most of the time.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mama Mia said:

To really date myself, I had the original Crissy, who was like a teen ? Young girl ? Version of baby Crissy. I also had the original Francie doll ( Barbies hipper - in my view - cousin ) AND the rare and prized Growing Up Skipper with her magical puberty powers ! 

My aunt got me Growing Up Skipper for my birthday. I want to say I was 7 or 8. She was a bit creepy, really. 

Here's a vintage commercial for those unfamiliar: 

Spoiler

@tabitha2 Nothing was wrong with having stuffed animals! Stuffed puppies were my jam! Loved Pound Puppies! The live action 101 Dalmatians movie came out when I was small and I had a bunch of the puppies from that.

My parents just felt having barbie's set unrealistic body expectations and that dolls in general encouraged the whole princess thing. They thought dolls would default me into traditional female gender roles. I don't agree with that  now and don't entirely understand their reasoning but I think a lot of it had to do with my Mother not being traditionally feminine. She didn't really enjoy those things growing up. When I turned out to be a super feminine princess girl she wasn't sure what to do, haha. 

I actually bought a few barbies for myself when I was a teenager, it was fun! I still have them. 

Did anyone else have Maxie? I blame her for my obsession with red hair. :D Though according to Wikipedia Maxie had blonde hair, and her friend Ashley had red hair... maybe I had an Ashley :think:

Regarding what colours babies can "wear", my cousin's wife had a baby last year. I went to Babies R Us for the first time in my adult life (and it took 3 trips into the store before I could finally leave... who knew babies were so complicated?!) This cousin is very conservative, very old-fashioned, so I asked my mom if red was a 'boy colour'*, she asked what shade, and I was like, "... maroon?"

* His nursery has a deer head on the wall. #masculine

I loved Molly. She's only three years younger than my grandmother (who was, for all ways that matter, my mother), and I loved reading those books because they helped me get to know my grandparents better. I would ask them tons of questions about what I read because they were children like Molly during that time period. I also loved that Molly's hair looked like mine and wore glasses like me. I did have the Molly doll. I'm sure it and my AG books are still somewhere at my grandparents house. I really ought to go look for them and read them again. 

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

To really date myself, I had the original Crissy, who was like a teen ? Young girl ? Version of baby Crissy. I also had the original Francie doll ( Barbies hipper - in my view - cousin ) AND the rare and prized Growing Up Skipper with her magical puberty powers ! 

I had Thumbelina.Baby First Step.Then instead of Barbie,her friend Casey.I had Skipper,too..without the puberty.

I remember my favorite Barbie... she was the Hawaiian friend one with long dark hair and one piece swimsuit with strap over one shoulder. I liked her, thought her much more beautiful  more than the regular blond ones. I think her name was Maiko. She got lost when I went to a public Wash and forgot her .

18 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I'm too old for the American Girls dolls, but my siblings and I had the Fisher Price My Friends dolls. I had Jenny, the brunette, my sister had Mandy, the blond, and my brother had Mikey. My jenny had the yellow dress, white hat, and white shoes, instead of the brown. They had the rubbery plastic arms and legs, but cloth bodies. You could also get patterns and make more clothes for them, as well as buy clothes. I wonder if anyone else remembers them

Reveal hidden contents

1364433959.jpg

Love this!  I had--and still have!--Mandy.  But mine has a pink dress.  I've lost her hat, nightgown, and shoes.  And I cut her hair because I was a rotten child.  My sister had one, too, but I don't remember if it had red or brown hair.  I think it had freckles & wore a red, white, & blue dress?  My sister was born in July 4th, so that seemed to be the tie-in.

Spoiler

myfrie25.jpg.c008731ebfff1ca4f520a9118f77d812.jpg

And holy crap--I had this outfit for her, too.  I had completely forgotten until I did a Google search.  Thanks for bringing back memories!

Spoiler

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.906a0d7197a398944f08a73e70e49b61.jpg

My younger kids were little in the early 90’s. Looking at their portraits - any color of neon seemed to be acceptable for boys or girls. The MORE shades of neon in one outfit the better. :cracking-up:

I have an original Addy doll that I bought for my daughter twenty-five years ago. I also have mint condition American Girl magazines, I was a charter subscriber. I am looking to sell these items now. I'm so glad there were no AG stores when my DD was little, I would have had to have a birthday party there and that would have been spendy.

8 hours ago, bekkah said:

Umm, I was weird too. I have 40 around the world Barbie dolls from when I was a kid and they are all still in their boxes. I collected them, I pretty much got one for losing a tooth to xmas to birthdays or just one would randomly show up. I think my mom watched for them when they went on sale and kept them till she could give them. 

Mine were broken or lost decades ago. I do however have the adoption Barbie stir in the box. What is an adoption Barbie you ask?  

It was waiting for in my hotel room in China when I met my daughter for the first time. Barbie in all her blond white savior glory  is holding a tiny Asian baby. Creepy. 

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

Mine were broken or lost decades ago. I do however have the adoption Barbie stir in the box. What is an adoption Barbie you ask?  

It was waiting for in my hotel room in China when I met my daughter for the first time. Barbie in all her blond white savior glory  is holding a tiny Asian baby. Creepy. 

I can see how in that context it has kind of a creepy factor - but it would be nice, in general, if more mama/baby/ sibling/cousin/family sets of dolls came in multi-racial configurations. 

I was obsessed with Strawberry shortcake dolls when I was little. They were so cute and smelled SO good!!!!

I was obsessed with the happy family brand from Barbie, which came out in the early 2000's- that was the barbie that had the detachable pregnant stomach and little baby you could put in it.  It was of utter intrigue to me when I was little because for the first 14 years of my life I wanted to be an OB/Gyn or and ob unit Nurse.  Boy that changed but anyhow, I loved those barbies.  I had (ahem.. still have)  the house, her husband and kids.. the only thing I'm missing is the grandparents but most sets are like 300 dollars now.  Apparently the happy family brand went out when parents were complaining that midge (the mother) didn't have a wedding ring in her original package.  The later set that came out like a year later had one. But they thought it was promoting teenage pregnancy or something so they discontinued it. lol. I used to play "duggars" when i was like 9-10 years old with my barbies because I had so many kid barbies and the infants as well. Oh if only my poor innocent mind knew that life in the duggar home wasn't as fun as i always made it out to be in my make-believe games! 

Wow, sorry, that bunny trailed way too much. also does anyone remember this barbie? it came out in the 90s. I was so excited when I got it but it seems kinda weird to me now honestly :P

image.png.01788a76de90af4c00480bb73205e224.png

Hey, at least it means he’s up with Jinger and Felicity instead of leaving her to deal. 

1 hour ago, seashell1025 said:

I was obsessed with the happy family brand from Barbie, which came out in the early 2000's- that was the barbie that had the detachable pregnant stomach and little baby you could put in it.  It was of utter intrigue to me when I was little because for the first 14 years of my life I wanted to be an OB/Gyn or and ob unit Nurse.  Boy that changed but anyhow, I loved those barbies.  I had (ahem.. still have)  the house, her husband and kids.. the only thing I'm missing is the grandparents but most sets are like 300 dollars now.  Apparently the happy family brand went out when parents were complaining that midge (the mother) didn't have a wedding ring in her original package.  The later set that came out like a year later had one. But they thought it was promoting teenage pregnancy or something so they discontinued it. lol. I used to play "duggars" when i was like 9-10 years old with my barbies because I had so many kid barbies and the infants as well. Oh if only my poor innocent mind knew that life in the duggar home wasn't as fun as i always made it out to be in my make-believe games! 

Wow, sorry, that bunny trailed way too much. also does anyone remember this barbie? it came out in the 90s. I was so excited when I got it but it seems kinda weird to me now honestly :P

image.png.01788a76de90af4c00480bb73205e224.png

Yes happy family! My oldest was about 6 when that came out and she had them. I thought they were so cute. I never saw the mermaid/baby mermaid barbie. 

On 7/22/2018 at 2:42 PM, metheglyn said:

I still enjoy the Boxcar Children on occasion even if they're very simple and formulaic. (Though the ones about the uranium mine are certainly interesting to think about as an adult who actually knows what uranium is and does, but it really says a lot about the time it was written.) 

They definitely aren't challenging, but they I've been reading them since I was like 6 or 7ish, so I get a certain nostalgia factor from re-reading them. So I could see Joy enjoying reading books that were lying around the house if they were intended for younger members of the family, or herself when she was younger. Now if that was Joy's actual reading level at 13 that's a different matter entirely, since they're definitely easy reader material. Hopefully Joy CAN read at an age appropriate level if she's going to be homeschooling her kids as they grow up.

Here's the list of all the American Girl characters to date if you want to see who it was you had: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_Girl_characters

Did you mean Kailey Hopkins, the 2003 American Girl Doll of the Year? I remember when the Girls of the Year first started. I was in college but once you get on that mailing list you never seem to get off of it! :laughing-jumpingpurple:

(And I feel you with the girls growing and leaving their stuff. My dolls, books, clothes and accessories are still at my mother's house, since I'm in an apartment halfway across the country for grad school and don't have room to store them myself. However! Once I have the room I WILL be getting all of the stuff still at my mother's house. SOMEDAY!)

I was a bit mistaken. Joy was in 6th grade when she read them and she did read them as a school assignment, not for pleasure. The books are 3rd grade reading levels with an interest level to about 5th grade so its not at grade level for a 6th grader but it isn't too far outside their interest.

http://wtffundiefamilies.tumblr.com/post/65310826321/pretty-impressive-bitchface-for-a-little-girl

I had Samantha and Kirsten, and now my daughter plays with them. They are over 30 years old. Both have gotten new heads over the years, but when you look at the fact that those dolls are going strong after so long, the $120 doesn’t seem so bad.

She also has a Kit and one that looks like her, so quite a little collection.

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived