IGNORED

Jinjer 41: Felicity Nicole 8 lb 3 oz

Coconut Flan

A kind reminder for the next pregnancy for all those reading here, I don't check these threads for the guesses. I only check the Duggar baby watch or baby name thread. There were people who were irritated that it was clogging up the threads (fair enough). There's no guarantees that I am caught up on any particular thread at any particular time. I was about 6 threads behind here and I am the "Unofficial Keeper of The Baby Names." ;) So just a heads up. 

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, FaithAndReason said:

I was born in the early 70s and every girl I knew had a middle name of Marie, Ann, or Lynn. As a child, I honestly thought there was a law that only permitted those three names as middle names for girls!  :my_biggrin:

I was born in 1999, and Ann and Marie continue to be that popular; I know many girls around my age with one of those. Other ridiculously popular middle names are Rose, Jane, and Elizabeth. I've met a couple Lynn's, but haven't seen it as much as those 5.

3 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

My middle name is my mother's maiden name: something like Richardson.  I know several other women who also have their mother's maiden name for a middle name, but no one would ever call any of us by that. (Well, my mother did yell my full name when I was really in trouble, but other than that.)

Maybe that's more of a thing outside of the South, if there people actually call you by your middle name? 

It’s a rural Protestant thing in Northern Ireland too. I have an Aunt with a middle name that was the maiden surname her mums (my grandmother) mum (my great grandmother). I have an uncle with a middle name that’s his dads (my granda) mums maiden surname.  

My fiance’s brother also has their mums maiden surname as his middle name. It’s really quite common here. 

4 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

My middle name is my mother's maiden name: something like Richardson.  I know several other women who also have their mother's maiden name for a middle name, but no one would ever call any of us by that. (Well, my mother did yell my full name when I was really in trouble, but other than that.)

Maybe that's more of a thing outside of the South, if there people actually call you by your middle name? 

A friend of mine gave her daughter her middle name as a first name. Not odd. But the reason was. She thinks that she doesn't have a middle name anymore because she believes that if you take your husband's name you are legally required to give up your middle name and use your maiden name as a middle name. One of the reasons she believes this is due to seeing women listed as "Susan (Smith) Jones" in Class Notes in our alumni magazine. 

A couple of us tried at the time of her marriage to explain to her that she certainly could legally choose to be Anne Smith Jones instead of Anne Elizabeth Jones if she wished, but she was not required to do so. And  we explained that she could, in fact, be Anne Elizabeth Smith Jones if she wished, or just remain Anne Elizabeth Smith. She refused to believe us. She was very upset about the whole change or we wouldn't have bothered. 

(No real names used, :) )

9 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

A friend of mine gave her daughter her middle name as a first name. Not odd. But the reason was. She thinks that she doesn't have a middle name anymore because she believes that if you take your husband's name you are legally required to give up your middle name and use your maiden name as a middle name. One of the reasons she believes this is due to seeing women listed as "Susan (Smith) Jones" in Class Notes in our alumni magazine. 

A couple of us tried at the time of her marriage to explain to her that she certainly could legally choose to be Anne Smith Jones instead of Anne Elizabeth Jones if she wished, but she was not required to do so. And  we explained that she could, in fact, be Anne Elizabeth Smith Jones if she wished, or just remain Anne Elizabeth Smith. She refused to believe us. She was very upset about the whole change or we wouldn't have bothered. 

(No real names used, :) )

This reminded me of the Mormon mommy blogger Love Taza, who didn't give her daughters middle names so that they can move their maiden name to their middle name when they get married. :pb_confused:

I kept my middle name and discarded my maiden name. Happily. 

When a name is associated with trash, it's helpful to shed it and move away. lol

I've often thought about this and I have two middle names, from both of my grandmothers. So putting my maiden name as a middle name would not be possible, and I don't want to change it anyway! :P Good excuse though! 

7 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I'm so impressed that you folks know other people's middle names! I'm curious how---did people talk about it or go by their middle names as well as their first names? 

I could tell you maybe 8 people's middle names and they're all family. I'm not totally sure what my best friend's middle name is. The relationship I was in before this one lasted for 5 years and I don't think I ever knew his middle name. I haven't the faintest idea what the middle names of people I went to high school with were. People I know just don't seem to talk about them, and I never ask. 

Maybe I'm just bad at names though.  Once I dated a guy for two years (fairly casually, but still) before learning his last name. 

I was someone who liked names, so with my female friends sometimes I'd ask. (I did not ask random people in school LOL) sometimes friends would take turns guessing each other's middle names. that's how I found out a few of the guys middle names. 

9 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I've often thought about this and I have two middle names, from both of my grandmothers. So putting my maiden name as a middle name would not be possible, and I don't want to change it anyway! :P Good excuse though! 

Yeah I have two middle names and my husband has a hyphenated last name plus we have immigration things at play so we just gave up and changed nothing. We casually go by his second last name and plan to only give any future kids just that last name.. I have googled extensively and am 90% sure I can just pick a single last name for my offspring

16 hours ago, Destiny said:

I’m not gonna lie, I was saddened by it. I barely remember the show anymore but I remember her beautiful hair and when she cut it short. I mean, you do you Keri, but if I had that beautiful hair, and more importantly, regular access to professionals to make it even prettier, I’d never cut mine!

Not calling my hair beautiful, but I had long curls for years, scared to death to cut it. When I finally did, I loved it...so I can understand why she did it. Looking back, it was such a hassle when it was that long. TMI alert...after shower ritual always included pulling strands of hair from between your butt cheeks.  

(Tried to put this behind a spoiler...if I failed, my apologies)

2120695C-403E-49E5-B58B-31998DAD7F8E.jpeg

I think your hair is gorgeous. default_smile.png

I can totally see the problem for the average person because I keep my own hair semi-short and it’s just wavy, not actually curly. I’ve just always been jealous of people who have actual curls, not a wavy clusterfuck of frizzy fail like mine. Or I’d be cool with straight too tbh. Anything but my wavy clusterfuck really. lol.

11 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Anything but my wavy clusterfuck really. lol.

So much this! It's the balancing act of "is it heavy enough to keep it from sticking out?" "Why is that one piece going rogue and sticking out the wrong way?" "Why are you so damn frizzy? Why why why?" 

20 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

In the grade above me there were 2 girls named Christie Ann Smith, and they had the same birthday as well, they were Christie 1 and Christie 2.  In the town we live in (population aprox 10K) there is a man with the same 1st middle & last name as DH, they were both born in the same month and year DH was on the 4th the other man the 24th, and according to the local dentist office their social security numbers are 2 numbers off. Last time DH went to the dentist they got the wrong chart, he said written on both of their charts in big block letters is DOUBLE CHECK ADDRESS, 2 PATIENTS W/ SAME NAME BIRTH MONTH AND YEAR! This guy has a daughter in the grade behind our daughter so they had to write mom's names down to keep from mixing up stuff for them.  It was really bad last summer when the OTHER guy got drunk and rowdy at a local park and got into a fist fight with a DNR officer.  

My daughter had two girls that she grew up with that had the very same name. They had all the same friends, played the same sports, it was confusing. Except one was very blonde and one was very brunette. So from like 5th grade they became *Becky Barger Blonde and *Becky Barger Brown (*not their real names). Everyone, even teachers called them this. 

FunFact: One is in prison now for killing a guy in self defense. 

I think the pool of middle names feels small because a lot of female first names end with an "a" sound and people (in English speaking places, at least, can only speak about what I'm familiar with) seem to prefer to give a middle name that doesn't end in that same sound. So names like Marie, Grace, Lynn, Elizabeth, etc. all end in a different sound and thus are popular. People seem to prefer names like Olivia Grace rather than Olivia Jessica. It could totally just be because I'm used to it, but I think Olivia Grace flows better. 

On 7/20/2018 at 12:08 PM, Cheetah said:

I must be a good 20+ years older than you (no one named McKenzie my age other than McKenzie Phillips).  But anyway, last night, my husband was talking to a couple friends of ours and started talking about "Our friend Lisa's son...."  and it took me until he was halfway into the story before I worked out which Lisa and son he was talking about.   

I have two friends (well, one is at "I just follow you on social media to watch the train wreck" status now) and a cousin named Stacey. Makes my husband crazy when I say something about one of them. The friends were in my graduating class. The cousin is five years younger, but all 70s babies. 

22 hours ago, BernRul said:

I'm not a fan of super gendered baby clothes in general. If you like it that's fine, and I'm sure if I have a daughter I'll put her in something pink and frilly from time to time. What I have a problem with is the trend to only have gendered baby clothes. I went to Carter's recently and was depressed by it: the girls section was all pink and bows and "daddy's princess" while the boys' section was "little explorer" "little adventurer" and "future scientist." I just think it sends such a terrible and outdated message to children from birth about what's expected of them because of the genitals they were randomly assigned.

I hate that shops do that and am always looking for the ”girls” clothes that aren’t too girly. Miniway loves pink and flowers and does not understand yet that his penis apparently disqualify him from wearing all of his favourite clothes. I loath both clothes with frilly details and clothes that are overly boyish so the struggle is real. It seems to get harder the bigger he gets as well. 

All this name talk realy makes me curious about what everybodys real names are. Mine is a common name that seems to have been fairly popular in resent years but wasn’t as popular when I was born. I have never had anyone with the same name in any class but there was usually one or a couple at the school but in a different year. I feel like a lot of people goes through a phase where they hate their name but I have always liked mine and have never had any nicknames. 

39 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

I think the pool of middle names feels small because a lot of female first names end with an "a" sound and people (in English speaking places, at least, can only speak about what I'm familiar with) seem to prefer to give a middle name that doesn't end in that same sound. So names like Marie, Grace, Lynn, Elizabeth, etc. all end in a different sound and thus are popular. People seem to prefer names like Olivia Grace rather than Olivia Jessica. It could totally just be because I'm used to it, but I think Olivia Grace flows better. 

My first name and middle name both end in an ‘a’. 

They’re both family names. I’m named after my maternal grandmother and my eldest maternal aunt in that order. I have a harsh sounding Dutch origin surname, so the two names ending in ‘a’ actually soften it. 

I love my first and middle name. My first name is the slightly less common spelling of a really common name. My first name is usually paired with a middle  name of Jane, Elizabeth or Louise and the like. So I really love that I have a middle name going against that trend . Although I grew up and went through school with quite a few people with the same first name as me, I never had anyone with the same first and middle name combination. 

Just my slightly long winded way of saying that having a first and middle name ending in ‘a’ can work well :) 

23 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

I hate that shops do that and am always looking for the ”girls” clothes that aren’t too girly. Miniway loves pink and flowers and does not understand yet that his penis apparently disqualify him from wearing all of his favourite clothes. I loath both clothes with frilly details and clothes that are overly boyish so the struggle is real. It seems to get harder the bigger he gets as well. 

All this name talk realy makes me curious about what everybodys real names are. Mine is a common name that seems to have been fairly popular in resent years but wasn’t as popular when I was born. I have never had anyone with the same name in any class but there was usually one or a couple at the school but in a different year. I feel like a lot of people goes through a phase where they hate their name but I have always liked mine and have never had any nicknames. 

I've always hated my name for the fact that it was super popular in the time I was born plus trendy instead of classic. add to that some bad nicknames you can make with it, and the multiple spellings. it was always just a hassle. now I'm more just resigned to the name and play a game to see if anyone will spell it right. 

8 hours ago, sparklymagie said:

I'll admit it -- I had a cousin who had a little girl and named her my very favorite girl name. Then my husband's cousin had a girl and named her the same name. It's not a family name on either side. But we barely ever see either cousin so when I had a girl, I gave her this name. I just didn't think seeing these cousins once every 4 or 5 years was a sufficient reason to lose out on me using my favorite name. 

Yeah, I think with second cousins that are not frequently seen, you have a pretty good argument! If you're closer physically or relationally (if that makes sense?) like my or @VelociRapture's examples, it can be a little harder. Though, seriously, if "Henry" is the baby's middle name, I'd still use it as a first name for mine.

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

So much this! It's the balancing act of "is it heavy enough to keep it from sticking out?" "Why is that one piece going rogue and sticking out the wrong way?" "Why are you so damn frizzy? Why why why?" 

ALL the time! Do you have the thing where once in a while it actually does what you want and the rest of the time doesn't? Just enough to give you hope?

I keep mine really long just so it weighs itself down enough to avoid the "piece sticking out" and "instant poodle, just add humidity" problems most of the time.

26 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

I just don't get why everything has to be so gendered. Like the first picture of Felicity posted by the families, where it's explosion of pink lace! It's not much better for everyday clothes, either. When I buy clothes I try to rule out the obnoxiously gendered ones, and that takes a lot of options away.

My name is was originally male  Is traditional and been in use off and on for several hundred years but has never been been common or trendy. My middle name solely feminine, in regular popular use for 2000 years now and a go to middle name that goes well with any first name. 

This whole maiden name as a middle name thing is so confusing, haha! My Scottish ex-boyfriend's middle name was his grandma's maiden name. Chaning one of his names for the sake of some privacy, but basically, Niall MacMillan McLaren. It just looked odd! So far from my own culture!

Somewhat related to the maiden name thing - here in Finland some women tend to take combined names especially nowadays, when they get married. Maiden name dash Partner's name, for example Mäki-Jokinen or Kuusiniemi-Lehtonen. Our naming laws are shit and patriarchal in terms of last names though, since you can't have your kid share your own last name unless your partner also decides to take the combination name (which rarely happens). The child must share the common name of the parents... and because, for example, mummy Mäki-Jokinen and daddy Jokinen only have Jokinen in common, the child must be Jokinen. UGH!

Middle names are extremely common in Finland, and vast majority that I know have three first names. Bringing new names is not that common, and for example it's rather trendy (... well, was in the early 90s lol) that my middlest name is the name of a children's book chracter and not that of a relative. My sister two years senior is the ONLY kid in my family that has a non-family running first name. It's the name of a successfull Finnish athlete. Mum was watching the tv pregnant and went "yep that's what my kid needs". It's a pretty name tho, so no shade. But my sister's sometimes a bit iffed, since only one of her names is connected to family (she also has a middle name from a children's book, and a rather famous one!). My eldest sister was extremely strict and she refused to even consider names that were not from either her or her huband's families. She also has this thing that all of the kids names must share the same amount of syllables and their first middle name has to start witht he same letter... o boy

There were three girls (including me) with my exact first and middle name in my year at school. There were four more with variations of my first name and the same middle name. Great fun. In my wider (female) friendship circle 60% of us have my middle name and the rest have maybe two others? 

Safe to say my mother wasn’t original with her choice. It’s meant one of my naming stipulations is no top 50 names. Boyfriend doesn’t get my aversion. 

I have the cutesy spelling of a name that was really popular the year I was born. It drives me nuts and makes me wish I could go by one of my middle names but the first one is Rebecca and in my life currently there are 4 Rebeccas in my close-ish extended family, and I know 3 Rebeccas as a part of my social and school lives. The various nicknames of Rebecca, whilst nice and all, are nicknames, and I don't want to trade in a cutesy first name for an obvious nickname, if you get me? The field I'm going into is one where it'd be good if i had a name that people could actually respect, rather than one that is a better fit for a child (I'm not dissing any Beckys, Beccas, or people called Bex or Reba or any other nickname of Rebecca, it's just not what I want to go by). My second middle name isn't even a name and it's something I really wish my parents hadn't put on my birth certificate instead of just using it as a nickname that I could opt in and out for in the other areas of my life (and yes, it does matter, all my student loans information letters and banking detail letters are always addressed to 'Miss FirstName Rebecca UnfortunateMiddleName Lastname' and the postpeople sometimes have comments to make about it (like I've ever heard any original jokes about it after i turned 5, jeez). And, y'know, I'd change my name in a heartbeat to one that sounded better... but my brother recently changed his entire name (dropping our surname) and I think my parents would be really hurt if I ever changed my name for any other reason than if I got married, so I guess I'm stuck with a name that doesn't really feel like me.

Gah, all this to say that I try not to judge others too harshly for their names, including the fundie babies, because it's something that defines us that we have relatively little choice in. I do kinda think that the question "Does this name pass the President test?" is a little ridiculous, because what a person is called, unless they've changed their name, is nothing they had any choice or part in picking out, and shouldn't be used as an indication of their personality or abilities at all (and also considering that now the USA has a literal President Fart -anyone else grow up hearing trump being used for fart? I also heard fluff but whatever- apparently passes the president test, I think any name can).  

I actually really like the name Felicity Nicole. It flows really nicely, hasn't got a cutesy or creative spelling, and the nickname opportunities are endless meaning that there are tons of options for what she can be called in all the different stages of her life if she ever wants to shake it up a little bit. 

2 hours ago, Destiny said:

I think your hair is gorgeous. default_smile.png

I can totally see the problem for the average person because I keep my own hair semi-short and it’s just wavy, not actually curly. I’ve just always been jealous of people who have actual curls, not a wavy clusterfuck of frizzy fail like mine. Or I’d be cool with straight too tbh. Anything but my wavy clusterfuck really. lol.

Wavy girl here, the curly girl method did wonders for me lol. It's still a work in progress but better technique and products help.

If Jinger let her hair be natural, i think she'd have similar texture to me and it would be lovely. Her hair looks so fried all the time 

1 hour ago, Iamtheway said:

Haha--I confess that I always try to reason them out, to varying degrees of success. I promise I'm not creepy, tho. Promise. ;)

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived