IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen 34: Lens Flare Photo with the Grandkids

choralcrusader8613

On 8/20/2018 at 4:13 PM, Bad Wolf said:

I didn't have a seat belt in the car when I was a kid and I'm ok. Now I can't even back the car out of the garage without fastening my seat belt. Safety features improve all the time, and I will take advantage of them all. Even back in the dark ages before dinosaurs, we wore hard hats for horse riding. 

I remember riding in the back of a pick up truck as a kid and being terrified that there would be an accident and I'd be thrown out.   But as a kid I wasn't given a choice.    Now I cringe when I see even a dog in the back of a pick up.   

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it so interesting to see the differences and similarities between the siblings in all these mega families. The dna mixed from the same two people turning out in so many ways. It’s fascinating. 

14 hours ago, MoonFace said:

Now I cringe when I see even a dog in the back of a pick up

I agree. It's also really so much less expensive to buy a safe kennel for a dog to ride in the back of a pickup than to pay the veterinary bills if the dog gets injured. When I worked for a vet, I saw 2 different instances of a dog who was injured because they were riding unrestrained in the back of a pickup truck. The "lucky" dog didn't have any major injuries; no broken bones or anything. She did require anesthesia so that the vet could stitch up her many cuts. Her owner wisely bought a travel kennel for her to ride in from then on. Even though the kennel was expensive (she was a Giant Schnauzer), he said it only cost about half as much as the vet bill for anesthesia, stitches, antibiotics, and pain medications.

The less lucky dog's semi-sad story in a spoiler:

Spoiler

He was a puppy, around 6 months old. Fortunately he lived. Unfortunately, he needed a leg amputated. I hope his new owner took good care of him and he had a great 3-legged life. His previous owner immediately went looking for a new hunting dog, who would also ride in the back of his pickup without any protection.  :my_angry:

3 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I agree. It's also really so much less expensive to buy a safe kennel for a dog to ride in the back of a pickup than to pay the veterinary bills if the dog gets injured. When I worked for a vet, I saw 2 different instances of a dog who was injured because they were riding unrestrained in the back of a pickup truck. The "lucky" dog didn't have any major injuries; no broken bones or anything. She did require anesthesia so that the vet could stitch up her many cuts. Her owner wisely bought a travel kennel for her to ride in from then on. Even though the kennel was expensive (she was a Giant Schnauzer), he said it only cost about half as much as the vet bill for anesthesia, stitches, antibiotics, and pain medications.

The less lucky dog's semi-sad story in a spoiler:

Hide contents

He was a puppy, around 6 months old. Fortunately he lived. Unfortunately, he needed a leg amputated. I hope his new owner took good care of him and he had a great 3-legged life. His previous owner immediately went looking for a new hunting dog, who would also ride in the back of his pickup without any protection.  :my_angry:

My mom saw a dog fall out of the back of pickup truck and it freaked her out ever since she mentioned it every time she saw a dog in the back of the pickup truck. She refused to let any of our dogs ride in the back of the truck and always tried to talk people out of doing that.  

5 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

She refused to let any of our dogs ride in the back of the truck and always tried to talk people out of doing that.  

I love that she did that!♥️

I see dogs often in back of trucks in this city. If I had a dog, and a truck, I wouldn't risk doing it.

In Hawai'i you see entire ohanas of keiki (families of kids) riding unrestrained in the back of pickups. On the H1 even, the big4+ lane highway in O'ahu…. Tons of dogs too. But mostly kids. 

1 hour ago, zee_four said:

In Hawai'i you see entire ohanas of keiki (families of kids) riding unrestrained in the back of pickups. On the H1 even, the big4+ lane highway in O'ahu…. Tons of dogs too. But mostly kids. 

I have no idea about this and i certainly advocate for it. Do you (or any other fj’ers with island experience - I can’t think of any.) think there might be some cultural differences in attitude about driving safety?

51 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I have no idea about this and i certainly advocate for it. Do you (or any other fj’ers with island experience - I can’t think of any.) think there might be some cultural differences in attitude about driving safety?

As someone who is kanaka maoli (which is Native Hawai'ian/Polynesian) which like most Native/indigenous peoples, face a lot of poverty, I'd say that has a lot to do with it. It's not just full Natives, but locals who are poor. I think there's also an element of " O when I was keiki  everybudy drove in da back of da truck, no problem". As recently as when my own dad was born in the late 1940s, when Hawai'i was still a territory, even O'ahu was still very rural. Most other islands are today.

So I'd say it's a combination. 

I used to ride in the back of a truck all the time, even for long distances on the highway. Our dogs always did too. My uncle had a dog who liked to ride standing up on his truck toolbox, even when they were driving!  I'm not that old, lol (mid 30s), but I wouldn't let my son do it. He's ridden in the back through a campground while we were camping, but definitely not for hours on the highway, lol

53 minutes ago, rainbowbabycakes said:

I used to ride in the back of a truck all the time, even for long distances on the highway.

Same here--I shudder to think of it.  We didn't think a thing of it---even going down the highway in Texas to get to the beach.  It was something very common (this would have been in the early 80s.)  Later, I was in a bad car accident---riding in the front, but no seat belt.  That changed everything.  Wish I hadn't had to go through it personally to wise up. :(

I survived a wreck while riding in the back of a pickup truck. Yes, I was old enough to know better. Yes, alcohol was involved. No, nobody died. Yes, people were hurt (broken bones, concussions, scrapes/bruises). No, it didn't make the news (see the "nobody died" part). Yes, there were more than a dozen people involved. Yes, we all laugh about it now. No, none of us will talk to the driver - to this day.

On 9/3/2018 at 1:26 PM, Iamtheway said:

I find it so interesting to see the differences and similarities between the siblings in all these mega families. The dna mixed from the same two people turning out in so many ways. It’s fascinating. 

As an identical twin with no other siblings, I find this particularly fascinating. 

I definitely rode in the back of a truck, on top of a huge pile of hay. Was it safe? Hell no! Was it part of the culture at the time? Yes. Do we know better now? I certainly hope so. 

On 9/6/2018 at 8:10 AM, zee_four said:

As recently as when my own dad was born in the late 1940s, when Hawai'i was still a territory, even O'ahu was still very rural. Most other islands are today.

I think that probably (correct me if I'm off base here) plays into things as well. On rural roads there's just fewer cars to cause problems, and as long as you know how to handle the road conditions, you're probably a lot safer/can take more risks throwing all the kids in the back, since you're not as worried about tons of other cars, or, as I'm sure is a common phenomenon in urban parts of Hawai'i, scads of dumbass tourists. 

41 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

on top of a huge pile of hay.

Haying is hot, holy hell. Jeebus, I am SO GLAD that haying is no longer a part of my life.

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Haying is hot, holy hell. Jeebus, I am SO GLAD that haying is no longer a part of my life.

Completely agree! Hot as hell, sweating like a whore in church, and you'd see in the distance another thing that had to be done; another pile of damned hay! 

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Completely agree! Hot as hell, sweating like a whore in church, and you'd see in the distance another thing that had to be done; another pile of damned hay! 

I was never so happy as when we got the large round baler and no longer had to handle those hot, heavy prickly bales by hand! 

9 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

As an identical twin with no other siblings, I find this particularly fascinating. 

I'm one of five, but we all look pretty much the same. I find it so weird when siblings look more than a bit different (like my mom's brothers) 2 of my brothers look almost like twins, the other is pretty close. My sister and I are almost identical, but with different noses, though she looks a bit younger. Looking at pictures of us at the same ages if it's just one kid gets pretty tricky!

10 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I think that probably (correct me if I'm off base here) plays into things as well. On rural roads there's just fewer cars to cause problems, and as long as you know how to handle the road conditions, you're probably a lot safer/can take more risks throwing all the kids in the back, since you're not as worried about tons of other cars, or, as I'm sure is a common phenomenon in urban parts of Hawai'i, scads of dumbass tourists. 

Perhaps fewer cars, but more large animals such as deer or moose, depending on your location. They can jump out of nowhere and cause nasty, and very abrupt, accidents. Hawai'i may not have those, but lots of rural parts of the mainland definitely do. I doubt being in the back of truck when you hit a big ruminant would be a particularly pleasant experience.

59 minutes ago, SamiKatz said:

Gravel is easy to slip in too.  Lots of people lose control of their vehicles on gravel roads.

Especially when they try to make a 90° turn at 60mph...

8 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Random picture of Jana...advertising? :P 

Good grief. Could they make it any more obvious that Jana's a grown-ass woman who has nothing going on in her life?

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived