IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen 34: Lens Flare Photo with the Grandkids

choralcrusader8613

Yeah youth hockey is insane. I've encountered some crazy parents. And these kids who literally eat, sleep and breathe hockey. The kids who, when they aren't at the rink (which like someone said is every day), have full setups in their basement. They only play the NHL games on gaming systems.  Some of them are homeschooled because of how hectic the schedule is.

My kid is good but hell no. Not knocking competition sports as I was a pretty dedicated ballerina and competition gymnast but there are limits. He still has homework every night. He likes playing Minecraft on the XBox. He still likes building with Legos and riding his scooter. We talk about other things besides the next game. 

Soccer is often spring/summer here and hockey is Sept through April 1. Most kids here do both to stay in shape.

I coached 3-5 year old soccer, it was GREAT.  Very little about fundamentals and more about sharing the ball and working together than scoring goals. Oh but the 10U's I took on in an emergency? Just as bad as hockey parents. They lost their first 5 games and parents bullied the other coach out. They hated me because I wouldn't cower to their demands and had no hesitation benching their kid for being a brat. But the team nobody thought had a chance ended up winning the tournament championship with me at the wheel.

Sometimes it's the coach. Sometimes its do or die to win, others (like hockey we have this year) want the kids to learn and improve rather then focus on how many goals they score. We bounced rinks 3 times to get the right balance. 

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/20/2018 at 5:35 PM, Daisy0322 said:

My son is in gymnastics at 15 months (mainly for the fun of it but also because he was a late walker and just very cautious) they ALREADY in the toddler class are looking at the kids and judging thier abilities. Like the teacher told me my son was coordinated and was athletic but we needed to work on how nervous he is or "he will never compete". I was floored. I kinda just smiled and walked away but seriously some parents in there are legit yelling at thier 2 year old about not trying hard enough and they are critical of every little move they make, making them do each station 5,6,7 times!

My 2.5 year is in gymnastics. She loves it. I was chuffed when her teacher said she was a natural. Her teacher said that she needs to keep doing it or just keep doing anything as she is quite good. I found this quite positive. No pushing of competition or exclusiveness to gymnastics. The class is light hearted and fun. She pulls me up for being to strict on my daughter who tends to not stay in line and runs off to do her own thing. Reminding me that she is two and that is normal. 

I think I liked the teacher’s comments so much, because as a child I was not given a chance to do sports and develop anything like dance or gymnastics or soccer or netball. I always wonder what I could have become. I also wonder (And deep down know) it would have helped my weight issues. 

I am mindful that I can and do project onto my daughter my wishes for her and the wishes I had for myself. I don’t think some parents realise that. I’m looking at you here “toddler and tiara” arseholes. Lol 

I work at a school, and there are plenty of times where we have upwards of 20 kids missing because they're gone for hockey. It doesn't matter that these kids are 12 and in school, they will have hockey games on Thursday and Friday at like 2:00 pm. It's insane. 

My daughter is into soccer currently and she is in a higher level one... practice 3x a week, plus a game, she's almost 10. but if she wants to stop, we'll let her, but it was her choice, she knew what she was getting into with this level, had to try out too. We figure we'll let it play out and see how it goes. So far, she's not a phenom, but she can still grow.

33 minutes ago, viii said:

I work at a school, and there are plenty of times where we have upwards of 20 kids missing because they're gone for hockey. It doesn't matter that these kids are 12 and in school, they will have hockey games on Thursday and Friday at like 2:00 pm. It's insane. 

There were plenty of times when I was in high school that there were huge amounts of boys and girls missing because they were playing basketball. The tournaments would start on a Thursday and end Sunday. I think it's common in all sports, as some of my cousins play soccer, run track, and so on, it's all the same.

I hated basketball for a long time because it was pushed so hard by the school. Our gym teacher when I was in primary/elementary and early Junior high would push for us to play basketball in gym class for many months and those of us who weren't very good didn't play very much. Not that I cared because I hated it, but it was unfair for those who liked basketball but just weren't very good.

When my daughter was in 6th grade in CA a new boy from Canada transferred into her class. He didn't last long as there was no comp, Hockey at that time where we lived. His parents sent him on to a Canadian boarding school so he could play. 

8 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

My 2.5 year is in gymnastics. She loves it. I was chuffed when her teacher said she was a natural. Her teacher said that she needs to keep doing it or just keep doing anything as she is quite good. I found this quite positive. No pushing of competition or exclusiveness to gymnastics. The class is light hearted and fun. She pulls me up for being to strict on my daughter who tends to not stay in line and runs off to do her own thing. Reminding me that she is two and that is normal. 

I think I liked the teacher’s comments so much, because as a child I was not given a chance to do sports and develop anything like dance or gymnastics or soccer or netball. I always wonder what I could have become. I also wonder (And deep down know) it would have helped my weight issues. 

I am mindful that I can and do project onto my daughter my wishes for her and the wishes I had for myself. I don’t think some parents realise that. I’m looking at you here “toddler and tiara” arseholes. Lol 

My 3 year old takes karate lessons (as do her four siblings - she might as well since we are there twice a week anyway).  She loves it, and really, it is just about movement and learning to pay attention and listen.  She isn't all that good at the listening every week, but she is getting there, although we do have to work very hard on her not using the dog for practice.

I didn't do sport as a child (music was my thing) and I do have to work on not pushing them because I wish I'd tried harder at sport.  Like you, I wonder what I could have done.

On 11/19/2018 at 12:27 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

Yup, he was SUPER fucking anti-Semitic (though then again, most non-Jews in Russia were in those days). He also choked whenever he had to make actual tough decisions and threw away his last chance to save himself and his family by acting like a petulant brat about reforms that, had he pulled up his goddamn big boy panties and recognized that a constitutional monarchy would give him EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTED (all the fun of being king with none of the decision making), would have probably saved his skin and/or placated enough moderates to at least postpone the shit that went down in 1917. But nope. 

I have a dim view of the both Nicky and Alix. I get that circumstances made them what they were and they weren't evil people, but they were monumentally stupid, short-sighted, egomaniacal, and incompetent, and their stupidity and incompetence cost millions of people their lives, themselves and their children included. 

So do I. I started out more positive but after reading so many books on them, policies, and other stuff. Nope, that's all gone. Yes they loved each other and their kids and that's great. That doesn't excuse them for everything else.  I really don't think Alix should be let off the hook either. I love how you describe them. Yes, they were so stupid and so incompetent and yes cost millions of people their lives including their own kids. So much of it was of their own making. Fighting against the constitutional monarchy which yes would have given them exactly what they wanted.  Refusing to listen to anyone who disagreed with them it didn't matter if they were family, friend or adviser.    

I love hearing about the different activities and sports your kids are in. My brother and sister-in-law have been trying to decide whether to sign my nephew up for hockey. My nephew loves it and has been hockey crazy for over a year along with his parents (all three got into it at the same time) but worry about him losing interest just as they do and spend all that money on equipment.

I saw this video and part of it reminded me of the way fundies are about proposals (asking the parents first) and I lol'd. 

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived